PDA

View Full Version : Frankenstrat guitar

TWSguitarist
12-08-2013, 05:43 PM
So Eddie Van Halen is the reason I play guitar. Well I don't want to play some gay stupid guitar. I want to play the best looking and sounding guitar ever created the Frankenstrat! Or atleast a replica of it. Here is the replica I made a few months ago.

ELVIS
12-08-2013, 06:31 PM
It stinks...

dazzlindino
12-13-2013, 04:04 PM
So Eddie Van Halen is the reason I play guitar. Well I don't want to play some gay stupid guitar. I want to play the best looking and sounding guitar ever created the Frankenstrat! Or atleast a replica of it. Here is the replica I made a few months ago.

damn good job...dont mind elvis.....he is too busy reading the bible to ever say something nice.....

Zing!
12-13-2013, 04:51 PM
I dig it. What's the story? Where'd you cobble together the bits and pieces?

Von Halen
12-13-2013, 05:23 PM
He just turned 16.

His Dad (Dickhead) is the one that helped me build my buggy. He is an incredible fabricator, and has the patience and attention to detail that I don't have.

This kid is trying to get every detail right on this guitar. He has been busting his ass on it for awhile. He has done it, and redone it, several times. Improving it every time.

I'm going to let him do my Kramer replica. I"m not going for the relic look though.

TWSguitarist
12-13-2013, 07:59 PM
I dig it. What's the story? Where'd you cobble together the bits and pieces?

It was originally a crappy franky I painted kit guitar. So I bought it for $200 and painted it. Then a few months ago repainted it an added a real Floyd Rose. Going to ge right reflectors and EVH pickup soon. As well as Shaller tuners. I actually am possibly going to re paint it again because two stripe are slightly off. As for Von's guitar I'm doing that as soon as he brings it over.

Kristy
12-13-2013, 08:01 PM
It stinks...

Spoken like the failed musician you truly are.

Zing!
12-13-2013, 08:08 PM
So what's the final tab on a project like this? I have an interest in doing something similar (god knows I love frankenstriping shit) but I'm also an eternal cheapskate. I seem to recall a similar thread a while back but I don't recall the builder.

Zing!
12-13-2013, 08:14 PM
As for Von's guitar I'm doing that as soon as he brings it over.

How's 2015 looking for ya? That might be the next time he gets up off his ass (assuming =VH= gets off theirs that is...)

DONNIEP
12-13-2013, 08:21 PM
Von's guitar is gonna have a rainbow paint scheme!! Hahahaha!

DONNIEP
12-13-2013, 08:22 PM
Sweet looking Frankie, TWS!

ELVIS
12-13-2013, 08:35 PM
Spoken like the failed musician you truly are.

Shaddup...

PETE'S BROTHER
12-13-2013, 09:01 PM
It was originally a crappy franky I painted kit guitar. So I bought it for $200 and painted it. Then a few months ago repainted it an added a real Floyd Rose. Going to ge right reflectors and EVH pickup soon. As well as Shaller tuners. I actually am possibly going to re paint it again because two stripe are slightly off. As for Von's guitar I'm doing that as soon as he brings it over.

:thumb:

Mushroom
12-14-2013, 12:06 AM
Impressive, good job

TWSguitarist
12-14-2013, 01:40 PM
So what's the final tab on a project like this? I have an interest in doing something similar (god knows I love frankenstriping shit) but I'm also an eternal cheapskate. I seem to recall a similar thread a while back but I don't recall the builder.
In my crappy one with in correct parts right now about $300 has been put into this guitar. When I'm done it will be about $500. I sell replicas for like $900. There's this one guy that I'm building one for now. Frankenstriping everything I can. It's like smoking... Once you start it's hard to quit.

VAiN
12-14-2013, 04:16 PM
In my crappy one with in correct parts right now about $300 has been put into this guitar. When I'm done it will be about $500. I sell replicas for like $900. There's this one guy that I'm building one for now. Frankenstriping everything I can. It's like smoking... Once you start it's hard to quit.

$900 is a very fair price for something like this. I have a 'Roly' 5150 Kramer that I purchased about 10 years ago for $1250.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/15/guba2u7u.jpg

VAiN
12-14-2013, 04:17 PM

Great job, it really looks good! You'll LOVE the EVH pickup. I put one in my Kramer and it sounds amazing.

TWSguitarist
12-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Great job, it really looks good! You'll LOVE the EVH pickup. I put one in my Kramer and it sounds amazing.

Yeah I heard its like a $300 pickup for like $150. Where's you get that Kramer? Mean street guitars? I hate his frankenstrat. He has too many inaccuracies for his price.

VAiN
12-15-2013, 09:03 AM
Yeah I heard its like a $300 pickup for like $150. Where's you get that Kramer? Mean street guitars? I hate his frankenstrat. He has too many inaccuracies for his price.

Got it from a guy named Roly who used to make them and did a pretty good job. He was somewhere in the SW - Phoenix, I think.. Can't remember anymore. I heard he was told to stop by Eddie's people so I think I have one of his last ones.

TWSguitarist
12-15-2013, 10:00 AM
Got it from a guy named Roly who used to make them and did a pretty good job. He was somewhere in the SW - Phoenix, I think.. Can't remember anymore. I heard he was told to stop by Eddie's people so I think I have one of his last ones.
That sucks. I advertise over YouTube (TWSguitarist) and do business over email and PayPal. No website for me. Looks like he did a decent job. Some relicing is off. I'm OCD with inaccuracies especially on franky replicas. Mine isn't perfect in one spot. The little red triangle under the # looking symbol is off. The black stripe is too high up and as a result the # is shifted farther up and the red triangle under it is too big. But other than that mine looks amazing or terrible depending on how you look at it.

twonabomber
12-15-2013, 10:27 AM
Pay no attention to Elvis. He'd rather see homemade Malmsteen guitars.

Von Halen
12-15-2013, 10:38 AM
There is nothing original about Malmsteen's playing, or his guitars. Malmsteen is a legend in his own mind, and Elvis's. The greatest form of flattery is imitation. Malmsteen has never had his playing, or his shitty guitars, copied.

Satan
12-15-2013, 10:57 AM

Would that look like a doughnut or something like that?

twonabomber
12-15-2013, 11:18 AM
Not exactly like a donut, but with glazed donut fingerprints under the finish and a sticky fingerboard.

DLR Bridge
12-15-2013, 12:40 PM
$900 is a very fair price for something like this. I have a 'Roly' 5150 Kramer that I purchased about 10 years ago for $1250.

That's awesome VAiN. Did the guy distress the frets or is that from actual play?

jacksmar
12-15-2013, 12:40 PM

Wasn't there a Fender Malmsteen?

Anyway, it looks great. I tried to Frankenstein a BC Rich about a year ago. It plays great but looks like dirt. Anyone that was really influenced by Eddie should try this at least once. It's a real eye opener.

Roth on.

VAiN
12-15-2013, 01:32 PM
That's awesome VAiN. Did the guy distress the frets or is that from actual play?

Thanks man.. I recently had the frets dressed and the guitar set-up. What you're seeing there is actual staining of the fretboard from the build and years of my grimy mitts on it. It's a fun guitar to play and a good conversation piece.

VAiN
12-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Some relicing is off. I'm OCD with inaccuracies especially on franky replicas.

Yeah, it's close enough for me.. I hear what you're saying though and definitely respect attention to detail.

So this is love
12-15-2013, 01:53 PM

Nice! I am going to get myself one of these franks and a wolfgang for my 50th birthday...I have been dreaming of this all of my life...

VAiN
12-15-2013, 02:19 PM
Nice! I am going to get myself one of these franks and a wolfgang for my 50th birthday...I have been dreaming of this all of my life...

Fuck yeah! Do it, you'll thank yourself everyday! I love my guitars and will never part with them. The Wolfgangs are nice instruments.. I have a couple of the Peavey ones and love them. I REALLY want a new Stealth, but the 3k price-point keeps it out if reach for me at the moment.

Here are my wolfs:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/16/y9ysa7yj.jpg
2001 Standard

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/16/na2aveve.jpg
1999 Special

vandeleur
12-15-2013, 02:31 PM
Very nice

TWSguitarist
12-15-2013, 03:27 PM
Fuck yeah! Do it, you'll thank yourself everyday! I love my guitars and will never part with them. The Wolfgangs are nice instruments.. I have a couple of the Peavey ones and love them. I REALLY want a new Stealth, but the 3k price-point keeps it out if reach for me at the moment.

Here are my wolfs:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/16/y9ysa7yj.jpg
2001 Standard

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/16/na2aveve.jpg
1999 Special
I love the new Wolfgangs. I found two at guitar center and spent there. I'm probably giving for a Wolfgang Special because I'm a cheap ass. That's why my franky sounds terrible because its some random humbucker.

cadaverdog
12-15-2013, 04:15 PM
I never had the patience of the left hand coordination to learn to play the guitar but I bought one in 89 after I found out it was worth alot more than the owner thought it was. It was a late fifties Gibson Les Paul . I thought it was a fake because it said Japan on the neck. The neck was Japanese but the guitar was the real deal. I sold it for a grand or fifteen hundred but I only paid two hundred for it.

ELVIS
12-15-2013, 05:38 PM
That's bull...

No Gibson Les Paul has a Japanese neck...

cadaverdog
12-15-2013, 05:57 PM
That's bull...

No Gibson Les Paul has a Japanese neck...
Try reading before you post. Sometime in the past some bastard put a fucking Japanese neck on a real Les Paul. Who knows why or when. I didn't ask her how it got like that. She might have gotten it that way. I've never asked you how you got that way. I just assumed you were inbred like the rest of the "Coon Asses".

ELVIS
12-15-2013, 06:06 PM
You're a liar, dude...

You make crap up and expect people to believe it...

cadaverdog
12-15-2013, 07:15 PM
You're a liar, dude...

You make crap up and expect people to believe it...
Fuck off douchebag. I don't care if you beleive it or not. I don't believe the bullshit that spews forth from your pie hole either. Judging people? I thought you were a good Christian. I guess you lied about that too.

ELVIS
12-15-2013, 07:20 PM
Whatever you say, Mr Les Paul with a Japanese neck...:biggrin:

cadaverdog
12-15-2013, 07:26 PM
Whatever you say, Mr Les Paul with a Japanese neck...:biggrin:
I'd say blow me but I know you'd jump on the opportunity in a second. I know you'd rather we call each other liars for the next hundred pages but I'll take a raincheck.

VAiN
12-15-2013, 08:18 PM
Try reading before you post. Sometime in the past some bastard put a fucking Japanese neck on a real Les Paul. Who knows why or when. .

I'm calling BS on this one as well... LP necks are glued on - it would be more time, effort & cost involved to replace the neck, especially with a cheapie, than it would be worth.. It just doesn't make sense.

VAiN
12-15-2013, 08:20 PM
I love the new Wolfgangs. I found two at guitar center and spent there. I'm probably giving for a Wolfgang Special because I'm a cheap ass. That's why my franky sounds terrible because its some random humbucker.

I say wait, save up, and get a USA model.. find one on eBay pre-owned... it's worth the extra time/effort, IMO...

cadaverdog
12-15-2013, 08:43 PM
I'm calling BS on this one as well... LP necks are glued on - it would be more time, effort & cost involved to replace the neck, especially with a cheapie, than it would be worth.. It just doesn't make sense.
I'm trying to post the link but you're not as knowledgable as you think. www.edroman.com sells replacement necks for Les Pauls and makes the claim Gibson necks break more than any others.

twonabomber
12-15-2013, 08:55 PM
Ed Roman was an idiot.

VAiN
12-15-2013, 09:03 PM
I'm trying to post the link but you're not as knowledgable as you think. www.edroman.com sells replacement necks for Les Pauls and makes the claim Gibson necks break more than any others.

I'm not claiming to be an expert by any means.. just saying it doesn't make sense. As stated, I think Ed Roman was an idiot as well.. not a trusted source.

TWSguitarist
12-15-2013, 09:09 PM
I say wait, save up, and get a USA model.. find one on eBay pre-owned... it's worth the extra time/effort, IMO...

I don't think it matters since they are the exact same quality just one is made in USA with a huge ass price tag. But I either want a black (preferably flat) w/ chrome hardware or that new cherry burst that looks kickass.

VAiN
12-15-2013, 09:12 PM
I don't think it matters since they are the exact same quality just one is made in USA with a huge ass price tag. But I either want a black (preferably flat) w/ chrome hardware or that new cherry burst that looks kickass.

IMO it matters... you'll get better workmanship from a US model.. but I guess since you work/build guitars it doesn't matter as much. I'd rather spend the extra cash and know it was built in the states.

cadaverdog
12-15-2013, 09:12 PM
I'm not claiming to be an expert by any means.. just saying it doesn't make sense. As stated, I think Ed Roman was an idiot as well.. not a trusted source.
You claimed you were an expert when you agreed with Elvis. Ed Roman might be an idiot but I'll bet he knows more about Les Paul necks than either one of you boys. I'm not even sure the guitar was playable. It had no strings. And the guy that bought it worked for Gibson. It might have been Ed Roman for all I know. It was 20 something years ago.

VAiN
12-15-2013, 09:16 PM
You claimed you were an expert when you agreed with Elvis. Ed Roman might be an idiot but I'll bet he knows more about Les Paul necks than either one of you boys. I'm not even sure the guitar was playable. It had no strings. And the guy that bought it worked for Gibson. It might have been Ed Roman for all I know. It was 20 something years ago.

Uh huh...
Agreeing with E doesn't make me claim to be an expert.. We just happen to both be able to sense BS when we see it.. So - you bought a not-so-playable LP with no strings and a jap neck from a guy that worked at Gibson in the early 90's.. and then sold it at a profit.. you sure this isn't a flashback?

TWSguitarist
12-15-2013, 09:18 PM
IMO it matters... you'll get better workmanship from a US model.. but I guess since you work/build guitars it doesn't matter as much. I'd rather spend the extra cash and know it was built in the states.

Yeah one of the Wolfgangs I played was USA the other a Specal. I didn't notice any difference except for the floyd rose on the special and fixed bridge on USA. But they play like a dream. Felt like I left part of my self in that store by not buying one. But my striped guitars and my OLP mm1 do my ok for now. My franky is my best playing guitar surprisingly.

VAiN
12-15-2013, 09:22 PM
Yeah one of the Wolfgangs I played was USA the other a Specal. I didn't notice any difference except for the floyd rose on the special and fixed bridge on USA. But they play like a dream. Felt like I left part of my self in that store by not buying one. But my striped guitars and my OLP mm1 do my ok for now. My franky is my best playing guitar surprisingly.

Cool.. I have a 93 MM as well..
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/16/zapa5ese.jpg
This is a really special guitar.. Plays like butter. The longer I have it the more I appreciate it.

cadaverdog
12-15-2013, 09:31 PM
Uh huh...
Agreeing with E doesn't make me claim to be an expert.. We just happen to both be able to sense BS when we see it.. So - you bought a not-so-playable LP with no strings and a jap neck from a guy that worked at Gibson in the early 90's.. and then sold it at a profit.. you sure this isn't a flashback?
The guy that bought it worked for Gibson. I had the guitar looked at because I wanted to know if it was worth two hundred bucks. A friend of my brother in laws was selling it and offered it to him. Elvis and I don't exactly get along. If I said the sky was blue he'd call me a liar.

twonabomber
12-15-2013, 09:34 PM

I bought a Korean WG Special last year. Amber quilt, love the neck, sounds great. Impulse buy, couldn't wait for an Ebay piece to show up. Which is a nice way of saying I can't be trusted with money.

GC also had one of the Sterling by Music Man "Axis" imports...sounded pretty close to the Special I brought home, but the frets weren't finished well. I figured if I was buying an import I'd be better off with the Peavey.

TWSguitarist
12-15-2013, 09:42 PM
Cool.. I have a 93 MM as well..
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/16/zapa5ese.jpg
This is a really special guitar.. Plays like butter. The longer I have it the more I appreciate it.
Is the top real on that? On mine which is from 2002 I think. I added a liscensed floyd. It's better than the stupid stock trem that was on it. The purple flame on it is just a photo top. It's not a real flame. If you can't pick it out in the picture it's thy purple/black one on the right. In the back that's my crap 5150 that I filled the cavities/ reshaped the body from a broken guitar Von gave me. It's just for looks.

VAiN
12-15-2013, 09:59 PM
Is the top real on that? On mine which is from 2002 I think. I added a liscensed floyd. It's better than the stupid stock trem that was on it. The purple flame on it is just a photo top. It's not a real flame. If you can't pick it out in the picture it's thy purple/black one on the right. In the back that's my crap 5150 that I filled the cavities/ reshaped the body from a broken guitar Von gave me. It's just for looks.

Yeah, it's the real-deal. I bought it new in 93/94.. It was my first 'real' guitar.. I love it. I paid $1321 in 1993 dollars... I see them on eBay for upwards if 3k.. I'd never give it up now.

TWSguitarist
12-16-2013, 06:21 AM
Yeah, it's the real-deal. I bought it new in 93/94.. It was my first 'real' guitar.. I love it. I paid $1321 in 1993 dollars... I see them on eBay for upwards if 3k.. I'd never give it up now.

I love the red on it. It looks sweet! The OLP mm1 is a good guitar for a knock off. But nothing beats a Wolfgang USA.

Von Halen
12-16-2013, 11:29 AM

Is this the pickup you are talking about?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-EVH-Frankenstein-Guitar-Pickup-Humbucker-Eddie-Van-Halen-Bridge-or-Neck-/231116361280

VAiN
12-16-2013, 11:35 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-EVH-Frankenstein-Guitar-Pickup-Humbucker-Eddie-Van-Halen-Bridge-or-Neck-/231116361280

Yep, that's the one. I think I got it for about $150 new from musiciansfriend.com. It sounds great.

twonabomber
12-16-2013, 12:24 PM
$125 on Amazon...

TWSguitarist
12-16-2013, 04:12 PM

Thats the best proce ive seen in a while for that pickup. You should get that for me Von in return for painting your guitar. Speaking of which bring the thing over so I can work on it. I won't have time once I start on this new franky next week.

78/84 guy
12-16-2013, 04:15 PM
I have a early red Music Man. Best $1000 I ever spent. Think I got it in 92. Too me that was a real custom guitar.

Von Halen
12-16-2013, 05:02 PM
Thats the best proce ive seen in a while for that pickup. You should get that for me Von in return for painting your guitar. Speaking of which bring the thing over so I can work on it. I won't have time once I start on this new franky next week.

I'm not buying you shit, you little bastard.

I might drop the guitar off tonight.

Von Halen
12-16-2013, 05:13 PM
Cadaverdouche owned the original black and yellow guitar. He bought it for $19.95 at a yard sale. The guy wanted $25.00 but the Cadaverdouche only had a $20 on him. The guy told him it had been buried in an enclosed container (coffin) for awhile, and he could let him have it cheap because it had maggots on it when he "found" it. Cadaverdouche played it for awhile, but didn't feel like cleaning the dirt and maggot carcasses out of the pickups, so he included it in the sale of his very rare 1 of 7 1971 Hemi Challenger convertible that he bought off some little old lady for $200.00 and sold for $1.3 million at Barrett Jackson.

TWSguitarist
12-16-2013, 06:43 PM

Well I'm going to guitar lessons in a few minutes and be home at like 8. Just so you can drop it off while I'm there.

Von Halen
12-16-2013, 07:25 PM
Well I'm going to guitar lessons in a few minutes and be home at like 8. Just so you can drop it off while I'm there.

I don't want you to be there!

I have to leave for hockey. I won't be home until after 11. I'll drop it off tomorrow.

DONNIEP
12-16-2013, 07:27 PM

Von plays guitar? Who knew they made a model for slobbering retards? Hahahaha!!

Von Halen
12-16-2013, 08:07 PM
Von plays guitar? Who knew they made a model for slobbering retards? Hahahaha!!

I don't actually "play" the guitar. Much like my cock, I just fondle it.

I have a fair collection of guitars, and I have no idea why.

I have a 50's Les Paul with a jap neck on it I got from Bruce Lee. Bruce got pissed off and karate chopped the original neck off it, and customized it himself. It's gotta be worth a small fortune.

DONNIEP
12-16-2013, 08:09 PM

I have a 50's Les Paul with a jap neck on it I got from Bruce Lee. Bruce got pissed off and karate chopped the original neck off it, and customized it himself. It's gotta be worth a small fortune.

At least 200 bucks!!

Von Halen
12-16-2013, 08:21 PM
At least 200 bucks!!

I think I could get $199, but I'm not sure about $200.

TWSguitarist
12-16-2013, 08:55 PM

That USA made stratocaster of yours is awesome! What year is it? All your collection is missing is that EVH striped series you ordered but then cancelled ".... Because I'm not loaded..." as you put it.

Just to rub it in your face again..... Ha! I'm better at guitar than you!

Von Halen
12-16-2013, 09:03 PM
That USA made stratocaster of yours is awesome! What year is it? All your collection is missing is that EVH striped series you ordered but then cancelled ".... Because I'm not loaded" as you put it.

Just to rob it in your face again..... Ha! I'm better at guitar than you!

That is a 40th anniversary. 1994 I believe.

I will get the striped EVH, just not right now. The new engine in the buggy is taking priority.

Yes, you are better than me. I hate punk kids...

Seshmeister
12-16-2013, 10:01 PM
I bought a Korean WG Special last year. Amber quilt, love the neck, sounds great. Impulse buy, couldn't wait for an Ebay piece to show up. Which is a nice way of saying I can't be trusted with money.

I got one at the start of the year too, I noticed someone selling on the internet.

He was an older guy and said he had inherited it, all it needed was to be cleaned up a bit and new strings and a saddle - best $300 I ever spent an absolute steal!

He would have got twice that on EBay here easily probably more.

DONNIEP
12-16-2013, 10:04 PM

I will get the striped EVH, just not right now. The new engine in the buggy is taking priority.

Von has no idea what he's talking about. Unless you're building him a faggot glory hole he's completely out of his element. Hahahahaha

TWSguitarist
12-17-2013, 03:08 PM

Ha! How long is that going to take? It took you forever if you even did it to change some part.

thismusicsux
12-18-2013, 03:11 AM

VERY NICE! I've been wanting to build myself one...the idea sounds fun for a minute... but after awhile thinking...it would be too tedious to get perfect and I'd prob never finish.... so recently paid someone to make one for me.

Yours looks super accurate w all the right stripes and angles and relic'ing. You see some that are just not good. Yours looks very nice.

TWSguitarist
12-18-2013, 03:10 PM
VERY NICE! I've been wanting to build myself one...the idea sounds fun for a minute... but after awhile thinking...it would be too tedious to get perfect and I'd prob never finish.... so recently paid someone to make one for me.

Yours looks super accurate w all the right stripes and angles and relic'ing. You see some that are just not good. Yours looks very nice.

Thanks. I hate the ones that have barely any stripes and look "supper good". I end up Breslin the news to those people.

ELVIS
12-18-2013, 07:35 PM
Supper good ??

PETE'S BROTHER
12-18-2013, 07:54 PM
eat off it

TWSguitarist
12-18-2013, 08:23 PM
Supper good ??

Yeah it was a comment I saw on a YouTube video. At the time it was the top comment.

Nitro Express
03-01-2014, 02:36 PM

You did a nice job on it! I hear finding the right reflectors is hard. Nothing like taking new guitar components and going to great effort and care to make them look like shit. LOL! Building one of those things and getting close to the real one means you have mastered the art of abuse.