PDA

View Full Version : Gilligan's Island - Antarctic Style

DrMaddVibe
01-04-2014, 09:23 AM
Stuck in our own experiment': Leader of trapped team insists polar ice is melting
Published December 30, 2013 /

The leader of a scientific expedition whose ship remains stranded in Antarctic ice says the team, which set out to prove climate change, is "stuck in our own experiment."

But Chris Turney, a professor of climate change at Australia’s University of New South Wales, said it was “silly” to suggest he and 73 others aboard the MV Akademic Shokalskiy were trapped in ice they’d sought to prove had melted. He remained adamant that sea ice is melting, even as the boat remained trapped in frozen seas.

"We're stuck in our own experiment," the Australasian Antarctic Expedition said in a statement. We came to Antarctica to study how one of the biggest icebergs in the world has altered the system by trapping ice. We ... are now ourselves trapped by ice surrounding our ship.

"Sea ice is disappearing due to climate change, but here ice is building up," the Australasian Antarctic Expedition said in a statement.

Turney later told FoxNews.com the ice surrounding his ship is old, rather than recently formed, and likely from a particular 75 mile-long iceberg that broke apart three years ago. Climate change may have prompted the iceberg to shatter and float into the previously open sea where the mostly Australian team finds itself stranded, Turney said.

“The ice was swept across to this area by the South-East wind, its pieces creating a knock-on domino effect,” Turney told FoxNews.com, speaking from a tent erected on the stranded ship’s top deck. “We were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.”

But the situation has global warming skeptics poking fun at the scientists.

“Cute how these Warmists who hate fossil fuels take a trip to the Antarctic to show just how horrible fossil-fueled climate change is, then need rescue from their fossil-fueled trip by other fossil-fueled ships and helicopters, which still can’t rescue them,” wrote one blogger on Pirate’s Cove.

The website Newsbusters said much of the media has bent over backward to avoid linking the ship’s current fate with its mission.

“Somewhere far, far to the south where it is summer, a group of global warming scientists are trapped in the Antarctic ice,” read a post on the site. “If you missed the irony of that situation, it is because much of the mainstream media has glossed over that rather inconvenient bit of hilarity.”

So far, ice breakers have been unable to get closer than 10 miles from the stranded ship, which is surrounded by ice up to 10 feet thick. Stuck since Christmas Eve, it is about 100 nautical miles east of the French base Dumont D'Urville, and about 1,500 nautical miles south of Brisbane.

Turney‘s team is studying climate change, as well as how wildlife is adapting to it. He noted that numerous penguins have traipsed across the ice from the nearby mainland to curiously observe the explorers.

A Chinese ice breaker was unable to reach the ship, and another vessel, the Australian icebreaker Aurora Australis, got to within 10 nautical miles of the stranded ship but couldn’t see it through a driving blizzard, and had to turn back to open water. Turney told FoxNews.com his team is in good spirits, though it only has 10 days of food supplies.

Icebergs pose an even greater danger to the ship than the surface ice that now has the ship in its grip, because they can pierce the hull of a ship like the Akademic Shokalskiy, in a Titanic scenario . Lisa Martin, of the Australian Maritime Safety Authority, which is coordinating rescue attempts from their New South Wales headquarters told FoxNews.com icebergs have been seen in the area.

‘There are icebergs around,” agreed Turney. “[The ship] is not a good position.”

Oh my!

Kristy
01-04-2014, 09:44 AM
"Climate change research" my F A T fucking stoned ass. This whole god damn story is nothing more than a bunch of rich, retarded Aussie yuppies wanting to spend their Christofascist holiday in the Antarctic drinking Merlot and eating lobster believing they are bringing about global awareness. Problem is, they so into themselves they forgot just where in the fuck they were in the world and and what time of year. I hope that every one of these cocksuckers is billed for rescue efforts from every country that came to help their stranded asses and that no books, movie rights or any other media shit to praise such fucking stupidity ever is to be published. How many homeless people die each year to frigid temperatures while these assholes think it's funny to be in the position they're in. Fuck them. I say let them die.

DrMaddVibe
01-04-2014, 10:06 AM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/12/29/article-2530629-1A5054D700000578-428_634x574.jpg

DrMaddVibe
01-04-2014, 10:08 AM
Global warming scientists forced to admit defeat... because of too much ice: Stranded Antarctic ship's crew will be rescued by helicopter

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2531159/Antarctic-crew-build-ice-helipad-help-rescuers.html

DrMaddVibe
01-04-2014, 10:09 AM
Antarctic rescue ship now stuck in ice

The Chinese icebreaker which helped transport passengers away from a stranded Antarctic ship has itself become stuck in ice

A ship which was used to rescue by helicopter 52 people from a trapped Antarctic ship has now found itself in need of rescue – after it got stuck in heavy ice.

Having not moved for several days while preparing to airlift the passengers, the Chinese-owned Snow Dragon is now wedged in ice.

The ship was used as a launch pad to pick up the passengers on Thursday, after they had spent nine days stranded. Their ship, the Akademik Shokalskiy, became wedged in ice on Christmas Eve as it was heading towards Antarctica.

After a lengthy operation to ferry passengers from the Akademik Shokalskiy to the awaiting Australian ship, the Aurora Austrialis, by helicopter, the Snow Dragon was due to leave the area. But less than 24 hours later, it too was stuck in ice.

"It will attempt to manoeuvre through the ice when tidal conditions are most suitable, during the early hours of 4 January 2014," said a statement from the Australian Maritime Safety Authority, AMSA.

Greg Mortimer, one of three expedition leaders on the Akademik Shokalskiy, said it had been a "roller-coaster" rescue.

Speaking from the Australian ship, where all the passengers were recovering, he said: "I was immensely relieved for the people under my care."

He added that he was "very sad" to leave behind the Russian vessel and its crew.

Jason Mundy, Australian Antarctic Division acting director, who is on board the Aurora Australis, said: "The passengers seem very glad to now be with us and they are settling in to their new accommodation."
Mr Mundy said there were enough rooms for the passengers, and the ship can "look after them well for the final part of their journey".

The passengers, mostly Australians and New Zealanders, will probably arrive in Australia's southern island state of Tasmania around mid-January. The Akademik Shokalskiy's Russian crew will stay on board until the ice breaks up and the ship is freed.

The Russian-owned research ship left New Zealand on November 28 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of an Antarctic journey led by Australian explorer Douglas Mawson.

It became trapped on December 24, 100 nautical miles east of French Antarctic station Dumont d'Urville and about 1,500 nautical miles south of Tasmania.

During their time on the ice, passengers amused themselves with films, classes in knot tying, languages, yoga and photography, and rang in the New Year with dinner, drinks and a song composed about their adventure.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/antarctica/10548690/Antarctic-rescue-ship-now-stuck-in-ice.html

Double dog darn…

DrMaddVibe
01-04-2014, 10:11 AM
So…first they were going to prove global warming…then decided when that blew in their faces to call it retracing an expedition?

Anyone care to guess how the expedition they're claiming to follow faired?

Nickdfresh
01-04-2014, 11:26 AM
Who said they were sent there to "prove global climate change?" I don't recall seeing anyone quoted as saying that. The Antarctic ice is expanding, but the ice shelf in the Arctic is retreating drastically...

Nickdfresh
01-04-2014, 11:30 AM
Here's a nice site that explains the myths of "sea ice": http://www.skepticalscience.com/Has-Arctic-sea-ice-recovered.htm

Satan
01-04-2014, 12:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oABZwj127o

vandeleur
01-04-2014, 02:01 PM
I would have bet that the old devil would have cracked open land speed record and posted a bit of husker . Bit obvious I guess :)

WARF's Vagina
01-04-2014, 02:21 PM
Here's a nice site that explains the myths of "sea ice": http://www.skepticalscience.com/Has-Arctic-sea-ice-recovered.htm

here's a nice site that explains the meaning of shit. http://www.davidleerothfans.com/board/forum.php

WARF's Vagina
01-04-2014, 02:22 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/12/29/article-2530629-1A5054D700000578-428_634x574.jpg

DLRFags has sunk like the Titanic.

Nickdfresh
01-04-2014, 03:01 PM
here's a nice site...

You seem a bit overly obsessed...

Mushroom
01-09-2014, 05:03 PM
Getting a ship stuck in ice. Hmmmm. They didn't disprove global warming but they did prove humans can be stupid.

DrMaddVibe
01-13-2014, 08:44 AM
They're scientists dammit!

Angel
01-13-2014, 08:48 AM
Getting a ship stuck in ice. Hmmmm. They didn't disprove global warming but they did prove humans can be stupid.

Ummm...ships get stuck in ice quite often...you can't predict Mother Earth no matter how hard you try...

Mushroom
01-13-2014, 10:19 AM
Ummm...ships get stuck in ice quite often...you can't predict Mother Earth no matter how hard you try...

Looking at the picture above, and "nosing up to Antarctic ice," getting stuck appears imminent but they persisted. Good for them.