PDA

View Full Version : RIP Phil Everly

guwapo_rocker
01-04-2014, 11:38 PM
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/phil-everly-rock-39-everly-brothers-dies-74-021156161.html

chefcraig
01-05-2014, 05:36 PM
(Originally posted at Bob-R's site, I'm simply too tired and drunk to re-write the damned thing...)

OK, here it is...my Everly Brothers story...

Sometime in the early 1990s, I made the bone-headed decision to get married (don't laugh just yet, I did it a second time in the 2000s, with equal abject failure). My to-be wife insisted on a church wedding, so I said what the fuck and plunged in.

Now in the days leading up to this blessed event, we had to meet with the church organist, who would provide the background music as this folly went on. I said that I wanted the Everly's "Let It Be Me" played during the walk-out, and this organist woman said she could not play it. I responded "Look, it's easy. Ya simply walk down from C to G", and showed her the chords on the piano.

She still said "NO, I can't play it." So I showed this dipshit three other variations, in different keys. Finally, she said, and I quote:

I can not play that, as the Everly Brothers are not sacred.

I guess you can imagine my Clint Eastwood-like reaction to this. We settled on some dumb-assed Bach, yet the resentment remained.

Get this: The day of the wedding (which included some various disasters like my dimwit wife forgetting the wedding dress, fuck I could write a book about that God-forsaken day) as my new wife and me are walking down the aisle to get hit in the mush with rice, who is blocking the door with her hand out? Yup, the fucking organist.

According to George Carlin, there are seven words you can not say on tv. Well...I used about twenty of them in a church that day, shoved the fat bitch aside and never paid her. You don't offer coins to a monkey organ grinder when he shoves a corn cob up yer asshole, ya know?

Anyway, I've loved the Everlys since I was a toddler.

And check this out, written by Paul McCartney for the guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKOxbA_W_5Q

Thanks for your time, Phil.

DLR Bridge
01-05-2014, 06:07 PM
I loved the brothers harmonies. Frankly, I'm amazed (but then again, I'm not) that there aren't more present day acts taking a stab at some sweet vocal harmonies. The guys from Black Rebel Motorcycle Club have attempted successfully a few times, but that's about as much as I've ever heard.

Kristy
01-05-2014, 07:00 PM
Let's hope this starts a trend in the music "biz" and Katy Perry is next.

guwapo_rocker
01-05-2014, 07:09 PM
I love Katy Perry!

Kristy
01-05-2014, 07:34 PM
You love women with F A T arms.

Seshmeister
01-05-2014, 10:54 PM
Get this: The day of the wedding (which included some various disasters like my dimwit wife forgetting the wedding dress...

I have to say as warning signals go that one is a skyscraper with the word WARNING! in 100 foot red neon. :D

chefcraig
01-05-2014, 11:24 PM
I have to say as warning signals go that one is a skyscraper with the word WARNING! in 100 foot red neon. :D

If only I saw the world through other than rose colored glasses at the fucking time...:stoned-smiley:

guwapo_rocker
01-06-2014, 09:24 PM
You love women with F A T arms.

You're gonna hear me R O A R ! ! :devildance: