PDA

View Full Version : Wolf of Wall Street

vandeleur
01-19-2014, 11:38 AM
Ok people seen wolf of Wall Street twice now .
I can confirm the following .
It is Goodfellows played for laughs .
There is more nudity and blow than a stag do in benidorm .
The script is fucking gold dust .
There is a car scene that is piss yourself funny .
The airplane trip to Vegas is the closest your getting to going on tour with van halen in their prime.

It is very very good , go see it .

That is all I need to take all these bitches home before my mum gets back :biggrin:

DONNIEP
01-19-2014, 12:36 PM
And check out Belfort's two books: The Wolf Of Wall Street and Catching The Wolf Of Wall Street. I haven't had a chance to see the movie yet but the books are unfuckingbelievable. It's all so insane that you keeping thinking, "this can't be real" but it all is. I don't think there's a man alive who has partied as much as Jordan Belfort. And while he was absolutely stoned out of his mind he was running his business and making a freaking fortune. Keep in mind that only about 5% of what he was doing was illegal, business wise.

And he had hookers and midgets around. What more do you need?

Seshmeister
01-19-2014, 08:28 PM
The criticism of the film is that Belfort is a total dick so you have no one to root for.

I'm not sure I could stomach reading his books, I hear they are very self serving. The FBI guy shown in the movie said that he was called a prick throughout the book. :)

As I said in the other thread I thought the film was great fun but guys like Belfort are why our economies are all fucked and saying lots of his business was legal isn't saying much considering what these shits get away with - it's still thieving.

Most of what Goldman Sachs does is legal, that doesn't make them any less evil...

DONNIEP
01-19-2014, 09:23 PM
Sesh - Belfort absolutely does come across as a total dick in the books. And he wrote them! The books don't try to justify his actions or minimize his crimes. They read more like the diary of a lunatic. Which he was. Are they funny? Hell yes, they're hilarious. Are they insightful? Oh yeah. The guy doesn't sugarcoat anything. And this isn't some romanticized version of what he was doing. It's just the wildest story you've ever read. Is it a cautionary tale? It should be. But I think most people who read them will come away thinking "I'd give anything to have what that guy had! And I wouldn't screw up like he did!" But the truth is most of us probably would fill up the Ferrari and take off like a bat out of hell right down the same road Belfort traveled. And smile and wave when we passed him on the side of the road.

Seshmeister
01-19-2014, 09:41 PM
I'm a great one for audio books these days - I'm so busy having someone read to me when I'm shopping for groceries or in the car is the only way I get time for books at the moment.

I see on Audible there are two versions of the book one is 20 hours and the other abridged to 5 hours. Unfortunately neither is read by the author. I'm not usually a fan of abridged books but 20 hours sounds like a lot of debauchery I guess that's why the movie is so long. :)

vandeleur
01-21-2014, 11:24 AM
Just watched a mark kermode clip , a film reviewer for those state side .
He concurs with Sesh , he liked the film but hated the Belfort character so much he struggled to buy into the movie.
Seemingly he was on the piers Morgan CNN show yesterday .... Fuck not sure anybody could stomach that cuntfest.

vandeleur
01-21-2014, 11:28 AM
Just to clarify I obviously empathised with the playboy pussy machine it's Morgan who is repulsive :D

Seshmeister
01-21-2014, 12:44 PM
He concurs with Sesh , he liked the film but hated the Belfort character so much he struggled to buy into the movie.
Seemingly he was on the piers Morgan CNN show yesterday .... Fuck not sure anybody could stomach that cuntfest.

Kermode was more against the film than me, I could suspend my dislike to enjoy the film. I was more worried about the autobiography being self serving but Donnie said it isn't because the guy just doesn't give a fuck about making himself look good so I'll probably pick it up.

VHscraps
01-21-2014, 03:13 PM

I wish that just once someone would crash the set when Kermode is pontificating and say, "knob off, ya cunt".