PDA

View Full Version : US recalls old soldiers for duty

Mr Grimsdale
06-30-2004, 05:02 AM
US recalls old soldiers for duty (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3852209.stm)

The US army has moved to recall nearly 6,000 former soldiers to active service to help maintain its force levels in Iraq and Afghanistan.
It has played down the move but this is the first sizeable call-up of the kind since the 1991 Gulf War and critics say it amounts to backdoor conscription.

The US has relied on volunteer armed forces since ending the draft three decades ago during the Vietnam War.

It has a pool of 111,000 ex-soldiers in its Individual Ready Reserve.

The BBC's Pentagon correspondent, Nick Childs, reports that the recall is a further sign of the strain on the army and is likely to provoke controversy.

'Nothing new'

There are currently about 140,000 US troops in Iraq, many more than the Pentagon had originally planned for at this stage.

As members of the IRR, the 5,600 former soldiers now being recalled have retired or otherwise left the military but still have a reserve obligation.

Unlike other reservists, however, they do not train or receive pay unless they are mobilised and probably did not expect ever to have to serve again, our correspondent says.

The US army defended the recall as "nothing new or unusual".

"It's a management tool which we've always had available to augment our forces when we need additional personnel in a time of war," said Lt Col Pamela Hart, an army spokeswoman at the Pentagon.

Unwritten agreement

The development, along with other recent Pentagon moves to stop many current soldiers from retiring, will add ammunition to those critics who say the Bush administration is attempting a backdoor draft.

Retired Army Col Andrew Bacevich, a Boston University international relations professor, said the recall suggested the army was too small for its current missions.

"These are people who used to be soldiers and no longer are," he was quoted as saying by Reuters news agency.

"The informal contract... is that I have volunteered for a certain period of time and once that time is up, then the choice returns to me to decide either to continue my service or to opt out.

"What the Bush administration is doing is just shredding that informal contract."

The national security adviser to the presumptive Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry said the recall was proof of the Bush administration's failure to enlist foreign support in Iraq.

"The fact is that this involuntary call-up is a direct result of the Bush administration's diplomatic failure to get real international help in Iraq," said Rand Beers.

Phil theStalker
06-30-2004, 07:55 AM
..Grimmy yoo're in England..

..ww'ell draft yoo t2oo, ..

..and flappo:D

High Life Man
06-30-2004, 12:01 PM
This is a common practice and is agreed to when you raise your right hand.

Although watching the news last night, some of these old boys have been spending a little too much time at the Old Country Buffet. They'll get discharged for being fat.

John Ashcroft
06-30-2004, 12:31 PM
Nothing a little PT won't cure...

But yep, just for signing up you agree to an "inactive reserve" status for 4 years after your first enlistment. It's nothing new.

FORD
06-30-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
Nothing a little PT won't cure...

But yep, just for signing up you agree to an "inactive reserve" status for 4 years after your first enlistment. It's nothing new.

So when the Air Force calls you up, you'll gladly go do your part for the oil industry and the forces of Zionist fascism?

Mr Grimsdale
06-30-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Phil theStalker
..Grimmy yoo're in England..

..ww'ell draft yoo t2oo, ..

..and flappo:D

i'll draft myself thank you very much
care of a few aquaintances in the RM and paras should do the trick

gives me just enough time to set up my own CP agency

John Ashcroft
06-30-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by FORD
So when the Air Force calls you up, you'll gladly go do your part for the oil industry and the forces of Zionist fascism?

Gladly, if I were to be called. But my inactive reserve commitment has already been met. I will say that I've considered more than once re-entering the Air Force since 9/11. The time away from the little ones coupled with the pay cut is what's keeping me from doing so. I do still know quite a few people in the active Air Force (from my old Wing), and I can say this definitively: If the need for my services ever arose, I would be there. The great thing is, they've got it covered so far.

Ally_Kat
06-30-2004, 02:41 PM
JA, my bro is getting his FAA licenses within the year. If he joined up with the Air Force, they'd let him work on the planes, no?

stupid question I know, but I figured I'd ask since this idea is stuck in his head

John Ashcroft
06-30-2004, 03:01 PM
Well, it depends what he does. But certainly FAA certified techs work on commercial-style Air Force planes all the time. AWACS receives servicing at commercial airports from time to time (if they land at a commercial airport). It's a modified 707, so the airframe and engines can be maintained by any qualified tech. The Air Force uses modified commercial airplanes on a variety of platforms, so it's quite possible your brother will be familiar with them. However, planes like the F-15s and 16s are too specialized, and require specially trained aircraft mechanics and technicians to maintain.

Oh, wait a minute, I just re-read your question... Did you mean your brother intends on joining the Air Force? If so, you bet. He'd certainly be matched up to a job where his strenghts are. He can even specify upon enlistment. A recruiter will give him a list of jobs to pick from, and he can pick the top 2 or 3 that he's interested in. It's called a "dream sheet", and in my experience the Air Force sticks to it pretty well. The only time I've actually seen the Air Force renege on a delayed enlistee is when the enlistee failed a portion of training. Anyway, if he's interested in the Air Force and he gets as far as seeing a recruiter, please PM me any questions he may have. I'd be more than happy to answer them. In fact, he may not even understand all of the career field options presented to him by the recruiter (the Air Force has this annoying little habit of hyping the names of menial labor that no one wants to do. I.E. Janitor = Sanitation Services Quality Assurance Engineering Technician...) Needless to say, you've got to be a bit careful when picking a job.

But darling, just let me know if I can help.

Ally_Kat
06-30-2004, 03:22 PM
yeah, he's been talking about it a lot lately and asking me questions. Me. I mean, I know some stuff, but compared to the stuff I don't know...

And doesn't every place do that with job names? Secretary = administrative assistant.

John Ashcroft
06-30-2004, 03:30 PM
Yep. Typically, the less important the job the longer the job title.

BITEYOASS
07-01-2004, 12:26 AM
Well in the case of the USMC. I bet some of those retirees are releaved to get away from there bitchy wives!

BITEYOASS
07-01-2004, 12:31 AM
On a different note, I'll be getting activated sometime next month. I'm glad about it myself because I ain't making shit in my civillian job. And before you ask me why I didn't find a civillian equivalent to my job, it was because there is no civillian equivalent to Aviation Ordnance. But if you find a company that builds bombs, rockets, loads flare pods and fixes 20mm guns for it's business, then give me a hollar. They will be sending me overseas, I just ain't saying where. But when I come back, don't be surprised if I break out the "Fuck you! I was there!" card on occasion. :D

Cathedral
07-01-2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by FORD

No, they'll be serving their country with honor and pride as they intended to do when they first enlisted. and they will have my gratitude and support all the way.

I'm still pissed that they wouldn't take me when i tried to get in, but that's the breaks in this fucked up world.
I'd go now if they'd change their view on thyroid problems since i am not and never have been on daily medication for it.