PDA

View Full Version : Gov. Rick Perry for decriminalization of pot

Dr. Love
01-23-2014, 09:37 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Gov-Rick-Perry-for-decriminalization-of-pot-5168667.php

SAN ANTONIO — Gov. Rick Perry signaled Thursday that he's for the decriminalization of marijuana use — not legalization, but the softening of punishment for pot users in the border state.

“As governor, I have begun to implement policies that start us toward a decriminalization” by introducing alternative “drug courts” that provide treatment and softer penalties for minor offenses, Perry said during an international panel on drug legalization at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.

It's the first time the governor, who's voiced support for drug courts in the past, took a position on decriminalization in Texas.

His spokeswoman confirmed that Perry is staunchly opposed to legalization of marijuana because of the dangers that have been associated with the drug but is committed to policies that would lower the punishment for its use to keep smokers out of jail.

“Legalization is no penalty at all, whereas decriminalization doesn't necessarily mean jail time (for minor possession offenses). It means more of a fine or counseling or some sort of program where you don't end up in jail but in a rehabilitative program,” said Lucy Nashed, a spokeswoman for Perry.

“The goal is to keep people out of jails and reduce recidivism, that kind of thing,” she said, adding that decriminalization would exclude violent offenders and dealers.

In Texas, an offender with less than 2 ounces of marijuana can be sentenced to up to 180 days in jail and a fine of up to $2,000. An offender with more than 5 pounds faces up to two years in jail.

Drug courts, which provide supervision and intense rehabilitation for some convicted drug users in lieu of jail time, were passed in Texas in 2001 by a group of Democrat lawmakers.

Bills have been introduced in the state Legislature to reduce penalties and allow the sale of medicinal marijuana over the past six years but have not made it out of committee.

In the past, Perry has discussed his opposition to legalization of marijuana but voiced his support for the 10th amendment and state's rights to legalize the drug, which he highlighted at the forum Thursday.

Perry did not address medicinal use of marijuana during the event.

Nashed said Perry has discussed support of drug courts in the past; however, the governor specifically has not gone as far as supporting decriminalization in public comments.

“I am shocked,” said Ana Yañez-Correa, executive director of the Texas Criminal Justice Coalition, adding that Perry killed a drug treatment bill the organization supported in 2007. “I am very happy to hear the governor supports a more rehabilitative approach.”

More than 15,000 people are imprisoned in Texas correctional facilities for possession of drugs, Yañez-Correa said.

Perry, who sought the Republican nomination to the office in 2012, announced in 2013 that he would not seek re-election to his office. He has not confirmed whether he will run for president again.

When asked whether Perry thinks it's a good idea to decriminalize small amounts of marijuana in Texas, Nashed said, “He has long supported diversionary programs like drug courts in Texas that have had remarkable results.”

Perry made the comments on a panel that included former United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan and Colombian President Juan Manuel.

I would have figured my state would be one of the last holdouts.

FORD
01-23-2014, 09:51 PM
He probably figures that if everyone in Texas is baked, they won't notice how dumb he is.

Dr. Love
01-23-2014, 09:54 PM
it's Texas, most of the people here don't have to be baked not to notice.

Kristy
01-23-2014, 10:14 PM
I would have figured my state would be one of the last holdouts.

Yes, isn't that odd...I mean, since it is full of hypocritical Libertardian shitheads.

And Alex Jone$

FORD
01-23-2014, 10:57 PM
Alex Jones could use some weed. Dude won't even be 40 until next month, and he looks like he's in his early 60s. He's going to die younger than Breitfart, if he doesn't stop whatever it is that's rapidly aging him - whether that's being filled with hatred, or that SuperTang® shit he's always shilling for.

Not that I would miss him all that much, but poor ELVIS would be devastated :(

Redballjets88
01-23-2014, 11:46 PM
As opposed to national stereotypes I will say that in the next 15 years Texas will be just as socially hands-of as any other state, but hold true to the economically hands off stance that has made it the #1 place to live in one of the best countries to live in.

Just wait folks my generation will make a political monster out of this Great State and while other faulter our liberty will expand.

Talk all the shit you want but in reality Tecas is the new American Dream

Redballjets88
01-23-2014, 11:51 PM
And to show you how faithful us texans arentonthat idiot perry I give you this example...

A friend of the family has cancer...so between my family and other friends we put together a good old Texas style fund raiser for her medical needs (bc us southern people rely on each other not the government). During said fund raiser there was a pretty great raffle. Everything sold (including the multiple GUNS donated by the evil gun companies)

Only thing that didn't get a bid???

Signed state flag from Mr. Rock Perry...bc all Texans have the same attitude about the guy...can't trust him, he's too slick, he isn't one of us...he just makes the state run well.

FORD
01-24-2014, 12:06 AM
Well, if nobody likes the dumb son of a bitch, then how is he in his third term? :headlights:

Dr. Love
01-24-2014, 12:19 AM
The democrats don't run very strong candidates down here normally.

FORD
01-24-2014, 12:24 AM
Wendy can take him though, right?

I hear Pimpy O'Keefe put out a slander piece about her supporters, so obviously pRick's people are running scared.

Terry
01-24-2014, 03:37 PM
People born and raised in Texas, the way they talk about the place...sometimes it's almost like listening to someone who is in a religious cult. I'm a bit envious of this, since I've never had nearly such strong feelings about any state I grew up in.

Dr. Love
01-24-2014, 07:47 PM
I don't know if Wendy Davis would have beaten Perry or not, but I think he announced he's not seeking re-election last year, right?

As far as Texas pride, it's a cultural thing. I think some other places around the country have it. Californians seem to love their state. Colorado citizens (not sure what you call them) seem to generally like theirs. People from NYC seem to take a lot of pride. I'm sure there are a lot of others.

Texas is a pretty great place. We didn't get hit as hard economically as everyone else. There's a lot of opportunity here. Things are relatively inexpensive when compared with other places, people are generally nice and its getting more diverse and less racist and less closed minded as the older generation passes, but to be honest I'm sure that's the case for a lot of the country. It's geographically diverse and it has a neat history. There's a strong sense of community and pride and a very independent streak (not meaning political party). It's fun to be Texan. We have our wackos and our religious nuts and gun nuts and everything else but every state has that. We just have more.

Nickdfresh
01-24-2014, 08:02 PM
For Perry, this is obviously a gateway drug (for society to accept his massive coke, booze, and pill habit)...

Seshmeister
01-24-2014, 08:08 PM
As I get older and wiser I get more and more wary of patriotism, love of your country or group thought pride.

By implication it means you think people are better in some way because they happen to be one of the millions born in a particular land area than other fellow humans.

Just because it makes you feel all special and warm inside doesn't stop it from being small minded, ignorant and often dangerous.

Zing!
01-24-2014, 08:38 PM
Well that's a buzzkill.

Nitro Express
01-26-2014, 04:54 AM
Yes, isn't that odd...I mean, since it is full of hypocritical Libertardian shitheads.

And Alex Jone$

Don't forget The Goat, Glenn Beck, and Ted Nugent. It's like someone tipped the country and everything loose and unscrewed rolled into Texas.

Nitro Express
01-26-2014, 04:58 AM
As I get older and wiser I get more and more wary of patriotism, love of your country or group thought pride.

By implication it means you think people are better in some way because they happen to be one of the millions born in a particular land area than other fellow humans.

Just because it makes you feel all special and warm inside doesn't stop it from being small minded, ignorant and often dangerous.

I think you have to be aware of the divide and conquer strategy. People just need to realize they can be herded into separate boxes and played off of each other. I think being proud of your country is fine. We just have to respect our differences and not fall prey to the stupid scape goating of the past.

Nitro Express
01-26-2014, 05:00 AM
For Perry, this is obviously a gateway drug (for society to accept his massive coke, booze, and pill habit)...

I thought that was the mayor of Toronto.

Nitro Express
01-26-2014, 05:03 AM
I don't know if Wendy Davis would have beaten Perry or not, but I think he announced he's not seeking re-election last year, right?

As far as Texas pride, it's a cultural thing. I think some other places around the country have it. Californians seem to love their state. Colorado citizens (not sure what you call them) seem to generally like theirs. People from NYC seem to take a lot of pride. I'm sure there are a lot of others.

Texas is a pretty great place. We didn't get hit as hard economically as everyone else. There's a lot of opportunity here. Things are relatively inexpensive when compared with other places, people are generally nice and its getting more diverse and less racist and less closed minded as the older generation passes, but to be honest I'm sure that's the case for a lot of the country. It's geographically diverse and it has a neat history. There's a strong sense of community and pride and a very independent streak (not meaning political party). It's fun to be Texan. We have our wackos and our religious nuts and gun nuts and everything else but every state has that. We just have more.

I've lived in a lot of different places over the years and you can find good aspects of each area or find the bad. There is no perfect spot on planet earth. It's amazing how much the same most places have become now.

State pride is no different than supporting your school's sports team and wearing the T-Shirt. It's the same shit.

Nitro Express
01-26-2014, 05:10 AM
The democrats don't run very strong candidates down here normally.

Yeah it's the quality of the candidate. I've seen Democrats win in Republican dominated areas because they were a better candidate than what the other side was running. I think people are wising up to the fact both major parties have been bought off and the same corporate agenda chugs along. I read one poll where 60% of americans consider themselves independents.

Nitro Express
01-26-2014, 05:12 AM
Well, if nobody likes the dumb son of a bitch, then how is he in his third term? :headlights:

DiBold voting machines.

Terry
01-26-2014, 12:59 PM
I've lived in a lot of different places over the years and you can find good aspects of each area or find the bad. There is no perfect spot on planet earth. It's amazing how much the same most places have become now.

State pride is no different than supporting your school's sports team and wearing the T-Shirt. It's the same shit.

A lot of corporate homogenization: you see the same chain stores in every town. Less local flavor as there once was. Not to say all local flavor has totally vanished.

Nitro Express
01-26-2014, 05:24 PM
It hasn't vanished but you have to dig below the surface more.