PDA

View Full Version : Oscars 2014

Seshmeister
03-02-2014, 08:10 PM
Well we've had a thread for this the last few years although each year I think we all get a bit more pissed off about the spectacular self importance of people who play at dress up for a living.

I can't guarantee I'll manage the whole thing this year(it starts at 1:30am UK time and is stupid long) :)

This year is a little unusual for me in that I've actually seen most of the movies involved.

I guess it will all be the Gravity and Slave thing.

For me Gravity was a great Universal Studios ride more than a movie and I think Django was a lot more entertaining than 12 years a Slave...

Nitro Express
03-02-2014, 08:14 PM
I don't think I went to one movie this year. Heck, I don't even know who half the celebrities are now and nor do I care.

vandeleur
03-02-2014, 08:21 PM
Mmmmmm I thought Dallas buyers club was good ... Lots of acting and stuff

vandeleur
03-02-2014, 08:22 PM
See Jennifer Lawrence is 2 for zero in the not falling over category :D

vandeleur
03-02-2014, 08:46 PM
Jared Leto won the best supporting actor ... cleverer if he had of won best supporting actress :)

FORD
03-02-2014, 09:02 PM
I don't think I went to one movie this year. Heck, I don't even know who half the celebrities are now and nor do I care.

The only movie that's nominated that I've seen was "American Hustle" and that was just last night. Haven't even heard of most of the others.

But I'm watching the dumb awards show anyway.... because nothing else is on. These fucking TV networks don't even bother competing anymore. Nothing was running against the Olympics, and nothing is running against this.

FORD
03-02-2014, 09:04 PM
Is Harrison Ford (no relation) shitfaced... or just getting old?

vandeleur
03-02-2014, 09:04 PM
I enjoyed american hustle , not sure it will win anything against such strong competition .....

vandeleur
03-02-2014, 09:07 PM
jennifer lawrence comes across as surprisingly low maintenance in interviews... unless she is just acting :)

IceCreamBlondie
03-02-2014, 09:58 PM
I saw The Wolf of Wall Street and American Hustle. Enjoyed them both, but I personally liked American Hustle more. Hope it wins! Wait and see....

IceCreamBlondie
03-02-2014, 10:27 PM
Bill Murray looks like he's aged quite a bit, too......

FORD
03-02-2014, 10:59 PM
Is that Sammy? :biggrin:

DONNIEP
03-02-2014, 11:01 PM

Harrison has that affectation that he likes to use when he's not acting. It's...odd.

IceCreamBlondie
03-02-2014, 11:05 PM
:
Is that Sammy? :biggrin:

:hee: Funny!

FORD
03-02-2014, 11:10 PM
Wind beneath my wings.... where eagles fly... isn't it pretty much the same song?

FORD
03-03-2014, 12:01 AM
And 12 Years A Slave takes the big prize......which will apparently shock absolutely nobody, as I've heard it predicted several times in the last two weeks.

Suppose this means I'm going to have to watch it now......

Nitro Express
03-03-2014, 01:44 AM
The only movie that's nominated that I've seen was "American Hustle" and that was just last night. Haven't even heard of most of the others.

But I'm watching the dumb awards show anyway.... because nothing else is on. These fucking TV networks don't even bother competing anymore. Nothing was running against the Olympics, and nothing is running against this.

I caught the last part of the olympic closing ceremonies on a live internet feed. I though it looked worth watching the whole thing. So when it came on NBC later that night I watched the whole thing. Man. All the commercials were killing me. There was a ton of them.

FORD
03-03-2014, 02:01 AM
NBC's coverage of the Olympics sucked ass. They gave that fucking figure skating bullshit prority over everything else.

Sadly, thanks to Scumcast illegally scrambling the local channels (which used to be on a freely available QAM feed) I don't get the CBC channel out of Vancouver anymore, and I can't pick up the CBC internet stream, as it's geo-blocked to Hoser IP addys only, and I'm still working on getting a VPN set up for my XBMC to get around that kind of bullshit. So I didn't see as much of the Olympics as I wanted to, other than a few of the hockey games, and some of the ski and snowboarding that I could download the same day they were played. I think the only hockey game NBC actually carried live was the womens final where the US lost to Canada.

I really hope I can get the VPN shit figured out before March Madness starts up, or I'll be limited to what they air on CBS (and even that will be a network stream that will probably crash every 5 minutes)

Seshmeister
03-03-2014, 07:54 AM
Tried a new drinking game this year where I had a drink whenever someone used the word 'journey' or any other ridiculous cliche for playing dress up.

Unfortunately I passed out during the bit where they show the dead people...

Seshmeister
03-03-2014, 08:16 AM
WTF?

The crappy remake of 'Weird Science' won best screenplay???

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YT5uPvPOk70/UXaOceg_gfI/AAAAAAAACWU/eNykyuUV0Xs/s1600/tumblr_mjwfuoThqM1s56t6so1_1280.jpg

Seshmeister
03-03-2014, 08:51 AM
“Everyone deserves not just to survive, but to live,” were the powerful words Steve McQueen said as he accepted the Oscar for best picture for his film “12 Years a Slave.”

The director dedicated the award to anyone who has endured slavery and the 21 million people he said who are still dealing with it today.

McQueen could barely contain his excitement as he jumped up and down on stage after his speech.

“Sometimes our emotions and physicality takes over. You know, Van Halen,” McQueen said of his jumping on stage.

The film beat “Dallas Buyers Club” and “Gravity,” which were also considered front runners in the category.

Lupita Nyong’o won best supporting actress for her portrayal as Patsey in the film. In her acceptance speech, Nyong’o gave the director her highest regards.

“Steve McQueen, you charge everything you fashion with a breath of your own spirit. Thank you so much for putting me in this position,” she said. “This has been the joy of my life. I’m certain that the dead are standing about you and watching and they are grateful and so am I.”

The win made history; it is the first best picture winner by a black director. The film’s screenwriter, John Ridley, became only the second black person to win an Oscar for best adapted screenplay.

“At the end of the day, we just hope this film remains a gentle reminder that we are all equal,” said Brad Pitt, a producer of the film.

vandeleur
03-03-2014, 09:05 AM
Seen they are doing the sequel 13 years a slave :D

Nitro Express
03-03-2014, 11:21 AM

He has a home here. He's a pilot with quite a few hours in fixed wing aircraft and helicopters. I've never ran into him but have talked to people at the airport that know him. I guess he's pretty normal and just wants to be treated like the average Joe. I guess he's a pretty good wood worker too and I he did a lot of carpentry work on his home himself. They did a local news story on that.

I've never heard anything bad about the guy.

Nitro Express
03-03-2014, 11:23 AM
WTF?

The crappy remake of 'Weird Science' won best screenplay???

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YT5uPvPOk70/UXaOceg_gfI/AAAAAAAACWU/eNykyuUV0Xs/s1600/tumblr_mjwfuoThqM1s56t6so1_1280.jpg

I never knew what was so weird about it. It's fantastic scienece!

Nitro Express
03-03-2014, 11:27 AM
NBC's coverage of the Olympics sucked ass. They gave that fucking figure skating bullshit prority over everything else.

Sadly, thanks to Scumcast illegally scrambling the local channels (which used to be on a freely available QAM feed) I don't get the CBC channel out of Vancouver anymore, and I can't pick up the CBC internet stream, as it's geo-blocked to Hoser IP addys only, and I'm still working on getting a VPN set up for my XBMC to get around that kind of bullshit. So I didn't see as much of the Olympics as I wanted to, other than a few of the hockey games, and some of the ski and snowboarding that I could download the same day they were played. I think the only hockey game NBC actually carried live was the womens final where the US lost to Canada.

I really hope I can get the VPN shit figured out before March Madness starts up, or I'll be limited to what they air on CBS (and even that will be a network stream that will probably crash every 5 minutes)

Figure skating probably draws the biggest ratings. I like to watch the bobsledding. Figure skating is always on but you only see bobsledding during the olympics on TV. I love to watch the ski jumping too. I enjoyed watching the snowboarding events. Anything that is different and interesting.

ODShowtime
03-03-2014, 09:04 PM
NBC has at least 5 channels in my cable lineup and yet they rarely ever had more than one feed going throughout the entire Olympics. NBC and NBC Sports literally had the same feed and there was no delay switching between the two channels. It makes no sense when we have that many channels, and we know NBC has multiple channels, that they would only have one feed going at once. Ridiculous. What are we paying for?

Sensible Shoes
03-03-2014, 10:32 PM
“Everyone deserves not just to survive, but to live,” were the powerful words Steve McQueen said as he accepted the Oscar for best picture for his film “12 Years a Slave.”

The director dedicated the award to anyone who has endured slavery and the 21 million people he said who are still dealing with it today.

McQueen could barely contain his excitement as he jumped up and down on stage after his speech.

“Sometimes our emotions and physicality takes over. You know, Van Halen,” McQueen said of his jumping on stage.

The film beat “Dallas Buyers Club” and “Gravity,” which were also considered front runners in the category.

Lupita Nyong’o won best supporting actress for her portrayal as Patsey in the film. In her acceptance speech, Nyong’o gave the director her highest regards.

“Steve McQueen, you charge everything you fashion with a breath of your own spirit. Thank you so much for putting me in this position,” she said. “This has been the joy of my life. I’m certain that the dead are standing about you and watching and they are grateful and so am I.”

The win made history; it is the first best picture winner by a black director. The film’s screenwriter, John Ridley, became only the second black person to win an Oscar for best adapted screenplay.

“At the end of the day, we just hope this film remains a gentle reminder that we are all equal,” said Brad Pitt, a producer of the film.

Might as well jump....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZahZoo
03-03-2014, 11:14 PM
I'd rather not Jump... saving some knees for basic transportation needs.

Seshmeister
03-04-2014, 06:28 AM
Well at your age... :)

binnie
03-04-2014, 08:14 AM
I'm surprised that the Mandella film got completely overlooked in all of the awards ceremonies this year........

Hardrock69
03-05-2014, 01:38 PM
Pink can sing.

Glad to see Sidney Poitier.

Not glad to see him decrepit and barely able to walk.

I think Ellen Degeneres was great. Anyone who hates her has a screw loose, as there is nothing to dislike about her.

Though I am sure Elbow hates her guts just because she has a girlfriend way hotter than Elbow's fucked-up looking husband.....:hee:

ELVIS
03-05-2014, 01:52 PM
What a sick freak you are...

Hardrock69
03-06-2014, 10:36 AM
Speak for yourself.

Marrying a 65-year-old overweight balding man who is a KKK grand wizard, lures young children to the house with the promise of candy and lives in a tarpaper shack with no running water is not something I would consider normal, but hey, whatever floats your boat.