PDA

View Full Version : Phelps excommunicated and dying

Seshmeister
03-16-2014, 05:53 AM
Fred Phelps, Founder of the ‘God Hates Fags’ Westboro Baptist Church, is on the ‘Edge of Death’

March 15, 2014 By Hemant Mehta 130 Comments

You know Fred Phelps. You loathe Fred Phelps. You despise everything he stands for, like his family members’ infamous protests at soldiers’ funerals with their awful “God Hates Fags” signs. They’ve been a symbol for many years of the religion-based animosity against the LGBT community — to the point that they’ve been labeled a “hate group” and even the most fundamentalist Christian groups denounce his church’s activities.

http://i.imgur.com/Qcap6Cy.png

Nate Phelps is Fred’s son and a former member of Westboro Baptist Church. He left the church, and therefore the core of the family, in 1976 when he was 18 years olds and has since come out as an atheist, but he still keeps in touch with some of his extended family members, many of whom have also escaped from the church.

I just got off the phone with Nate and he confirmed what he had written. The rumors had been flying for several weeks, he said, but after a conversation with some of his fellow “excommunicated” family members, he found out that the rumors were true. He elaborated on that final line, too, saying that the Phelps family is now blocking anyone who is no longer with the church from seeing him, including Fred’s sons, daughters, nieces, and nephews.

Why was he kicked out of his own church? Did he have a change of heart near the end of his life? There’s no definitive answer to that and Nate has heard different things (so any explanation is pure speculation right now).

In any case, it appears that Fred Phelps doesn’t have much longer to live. While some may rejoice at that, Nate’s tone over the phone was anything but happy. He’s losing his father. A father who dedicated his life to spreading hatred and made the lives of so many others so miserable, but a father nonetheless.

What will become of Westboro without him? While I would like to say it’ll disappear entirely, that’s unlikely, at least in the short term. My guess is that Fred Phelps, mostly due to his age (he’s 84), hasn’t been an integral part of the church’s activities for quite some time. Those responsibilities have long been delegated to other members of the church, mostly to daughter Shirley Phelps-Roper. But without the founding figurehead in place, we can at least hope Westboro becomes less relevant and eventually obsolete.

If there’s any solace to be found in this story, it’s that many of Fred’s thirteen children and extended family members have escaped from his indoctrination — 20 of them have fled since 2004, according to one report, with three-quarters of them under the age of 30. It’s uplifting, in a way, to realize that even people who grow up under the most vile of belief systems can end up respectable and tolerant and kind and wonderful.

Indeed, several of those former church members, including Nate, are LGBT-rights activists.

As of now, there’s no mention of Fred Phelps’ condition on his church’s site, blog, or Twitter feed.
In the meantime, we’re all left debating whether it’d make a larger statement to picket his eventual funeral or ignore it and turn the other cheek.

Seshmeister
03-16-2014, 05:54 AM
It seems pretty clear that before going in a box Fred finally come out the closet.

fraroc
03-16-2014, 08:28 AM
Oh FUCK YES!! I've been waiting for this day to come.

Do your fucking worst, Satan!

Nickdfresh
03-16-2014, 08:53 AM
This is of course God's way of saying gays are alright. I hope they have a massive pride parade at his funeral...

FORD
03-16-2014, 01:09 PM
I hope Satan makes him Liberace's roommate.

Of course, that would probably torment Liberace as much as it does Phelps, but it IS Hell, after all......

FORD
03-16-2014, 01:55 PM
I suppose the real question here is.....

How did the old bastard get excommunicated from his own cult?????

fraroc
03-16-2014, 02:20 PM
This is of course God's way of saying gays are alright. I hope they have a massive pride parade at his funeral...

I hope that a huge fucking all-male orgy takes place upon his grave site :)

binnie
03-16-2014, 03:54 PM
I hate to give these guys any more of the oxygen of publicity, but I'll say this: I loathe eveything about Phelps' views and the organization which he founded, but I'll not stoop to his level by mocking a human being who is suffering.

I don't believe that there is an afterlife, but if there is I hope that Phelps finds the peace there that he clearly couldn't find on earth. I also hope that his 'Church' flounders in the absence of his leadership.

FORD
03-16-2014, 04:15 PM
Sadly, I think his demented daughter, Shirley Phelps-Roper has pretty much taken over the cult already (and even more so if she actually excommunicated the old man himself). Which would imply that Shirley even out-hated Fred himself, and isn't likely to go away just because he dies.

Probably the best news here is that even the Phelps family members themselves seem to be leaving the cult one by one. And the "church" never seemed to have much of a membership beyond the family. So a slow decay from within might take them out, even if the death of the cult leader does not.

ELVIS
03-16-2014, 04:48 PM
This is of course God's way of saying gays are alright.

Although you're of course delusional...

ELVIS
03-16-2014, 04:50 PM
I hope that a huge fucking all-male orgy takes place upon his grave site :)

Too bad homo losers like you can't afford a bus ticket...

Nickdfresh
03-16-2014, 05:02 PM
I hate to give these guys any more of the oxygen of publicity, but I'll say this: I loathe eveything about Phelps' views and the organization which he founded, but I'll not stoop to his level by mocking a human being who is suffering.

I don't believe that there is an afterlife, but if there is I hope that Phelps finds the peace there that he clearly couldn't find on earth. I also hope that his 'Church' flounders in the absence of his leadership.

I will. I think it's kind of awesome that Hitler had Parkinson's Disease...

FORD
03-16-2014, 05:04 PM

Who needs a bus ticket? He can just hitch a ride on the "Sodom mobile".........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-h3Wl5wVns

Nickdfresh
03-16-2014, 05:04 PM
Although you're of course delusional...

Tell us what God says about gays, Elvis. Ask him the next time you talk to him. Also, ask why he wants to sell daughters into sexual servitude as whores (according to the Bible)?

Nitro Express
03-16-2014, 05:25 PM
I think all these dispensationalist christian zionists should leave the US move to Israel. The zionist jews deserve them.

fraroc
03-16-2014, 05:32 PM

Actually, I fucking can, you giant doucheface.

FORD
03-16-2014, 06:10 PM
I think all these dispensationalist christian zionists should leave the US move to Israel. The zionist jews deserve them.

I can just picture Fat Bastard Hagee trying to lead a coup against NuttyYahoo. Hopefully neither one would survive.

Nitro Express
03-16-2014, 08:00 PM
I'm sick of the double standard. Israel can do whatever it damn well pleases including genocide because they claim they are the chosen people. I'm sick of the US enabling this shit and I'm tired of people like Hagee cheering it on. The biggest lie ever sold is there is a chosen people. The christians in the US used to be smart enough not to get entangled in such nonsense. We used to mind our business here. I could care less about the temple mount. I could care less who sits apron it. All the people who care are all equally annoying.

Nitro Express
03-16-2014, 08:05 PM
I can just picture Fat Bastard Hagee trying to lead a coup against NuttyYahoo. Hopefully neither one would survive.

NuttyYahoo and his kind of ilk could care less about Hagee and his christian clan. To NuttyYahoo they are just dumb expendable goyim to be used and abused. Hagee is too stupid to see they are being played like fools and to the chosen ones, they are out of the big club and expendable. NuttyYahoo could care less about the US. It's just a tit to suck on.

FORD
03-16-2014, 11:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxePF_nbEp4#t=31

Nitro Express
03-17-2014, 08:49 PM
Phelps looked like a walking corpse for years. He probably farted dust and was the result of some kids performing satanic rituals in an old crypt and they brought the mother fucker back to life. He probably was a slave owner who was into sodomy in his previous life.

ODShowtime
03-17-2014, 10:02 PM
They should sell tickets to piss on this cocksucker's grave. Fuck him and his family.

Except for the good ones I guess.

Nitro Express
03-18-2014, 04:28 AM
I'm sure lots of people will be picketing the bastard's funeral. What goes around comes around. See how they like it for once.

Nickdfresh
03-18-2014, 01:07 PM
It seems pretty clear that before going in a box Fred finally come out the closet.

Yup! He did, apparently...

Westboro Baptist Church Fred Phelp’s Deathbed Confession “I’m Gay”
Posted about 1 day ago | 25 comments

Fred-Phelps-Homosexual-Death-Bed-Confession The 84 year old founder of the notorious Westboro Baptist Church is barely clinging to life at a Midland hospice house in Topeka Kansas. The man who seemingly dedicated his entire life to tormenting homosexuals allegedly made a startling confession while at death’s door. He announced to a roomful of stunned family members that he was indeed, a homosexual.

“We were just all sitting there because grandpa said he wanted to tell us something really important”, said Genevieve Phelps. Genevieve, along with several of her aunts and uncles sat huddled around the dying old man to hear him out. “He just looked at us all and smiled and said, I’m sorry. I’m gay. Our jaws just dropped, I mean… It doesn’t make any sense. We’re all just praying that this is somehow related to his illness or the medication he’s on. He’s really delirious and half the time he’s not making any sense at all. Regardless, it was very hard to hear after he spent his entire life fighting the scourge of homosexuality in the name of the Lord our God.”

This shocking proclamation is likely to throw a permanent monkey wrench in the works of the already scandalous Kansas church. The 84-year-old preacher established the small Kansas chapel in 1955 and made it a household name by picketing funerals, public events and businesses with hateful signs attacking gay people, Jews and others who he deemed sinners.

Several estranged relatives revealed that Fred had been excommunicated from his own house of worship in August of 2013 over matters that still remain a mystery.

Now, after protesting at the funeral’s of multiple fallen soldiers, the Phelps family requested that the rest of the world grant them privacy and respect while their nefarious leader finishes his journey to meet his maker.

Several gay activists have reportedly been gleefully celebrating the impending demise of the spiteful old codger.

A man named Nathan McDaniels was spotted dancing gracefully on the lawn in front of the Phelps compound last night sporting a full length scarlet gown embroidered with the Latin phrase “debitum naturae”. When we inquired what he was doing there, he gave us a wry smile and responded “Oh, you know… Just waiting for God to flush the toilet..”
- See more at: LINK (http://nationalreport.net/westboro-baptist-church-fred-phelps-deathbed-confession-im-gay/#sthash.y99UZIAS.dpuf)

Nickdfresh
03-18-2014, 01:44 PM
I suspect the above may be just a hoax designed to "discredit" poor old Fred. Apparently, he dared advocating the Church start acting like semi-Christians, which is what got him excommunicated....

http://cjonline.com/news/2014-03-17/elders-excommunicate-phelps-after-power-struggle-call-kindness-within-church

FORD
03-18-2014, 02:08 PM
You have to wonder what made the guy such a hateful old bastard. Phelps used to be a civil rights attorney, so it's not as though he's been a complete bigot all his life (as opposed to some other religious bigots who pick on the gays now because they can't legally pick on the Blacks anymore)

I've read reports that some pedobear fuck tried to abduct one of Fred's grandkids in a park back in the 80s, and that's what set him off on his crusade, but one would think a lawyer would have the brains to realize that homosexuals and pedophiles are not the same thing.

DONNIEP
03-18-2014, 02:18 PM
Ah, it was probably just a power trip the guy was on. Only a fucking moron would equate gay people with pedophiles. And the guy couldn't have been too stupid since he was a civil rights attorney. So it was probably all just some egoed out power trip. People will do anything to get noticed. Good or bad, just so long as you spell their names right.

binnie
03-18-2014, 04:14 PM
I wonder if gays will protest at his funeral.

'God Loves Fags' :D

FORD
03-18-2014, 04:35 PM
Assuming he has a funeral at all. There have been tweets from the Phelps KKKult suggesting that they never have funerals for ANY of their dead members because "we don't worship the dead".

Ironic, from a bunch of idiots who made a career out of attending other folks funerals......

binnie
03-18-2014, 04:38 PM
Assuming he has a funeral at all. There have been tweets from the Phelps KKKult suggesting that they never have funerals for ANY of their dead members because "we don't worship the dead".

Not sure I've ever thought of a funeral as 'worshipping'. It takes all sorts I guess.......

FORD
03-18-2014, 04:43 PM
It could be a convenient excuse.... because they are afraid that somebody would protest their funerals.

For the record, I've seen a range of opinions on other boards from "throw their own shit right back at them" to a "positive" protest with signs that say things like "God Loves Fred (in spite of everything)" to "the best response to Phelps dying would be for nobody to say a word about him in public at all, because he doesn't deserve the recognition".

Of course, by merely posting that much, you already eliminated the third possibility, but I see the logic in it.

binnie
03-18-2014, 04:44 PM
True, but I was joking about 'God Loves Fags' signs. :D

Nitro Express
03-18-2014, 05:41 PM
Ah, it was probably just a power trip the guy was on. Only a fucking moron would equate gay people with pedophiles. And the guy couldn't have been too stupid since he was a civil rights attorney. So it was probably all just some egoed out power trip. People will do anything to get noticed. Good or bad, just so long as you spell their names right.

Yeah Phelps grand daughter said they loved attention. It didn't seem like they made that much money. They could have been like that little prick in Houston with the big stadium church selling "Jesus wants you to be rich" and get rich in the process.

ashstralia
03-19-2014, 06:55 AM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6e5hRLbCaCs

FORD
03-20-2014, 12:34 PM
By KSN TV Updated: Thursday, March 20, 2014, 10:51 am Published: Thursday, March 20, 2014, 10:22 am

TOPEKA, Kansas – The Rev. Fred Phelps Sr., who founded a Kansas church widely known for its protests at military funerals and anti-gay sentiments, has died according to his son Tim Phelps and KSN sister station Kansas First News.

Phelps, 84, was being cared for in a Shawnee County facility, Westboro Baptist Church spokesman Steve Drain said Sunday.

Members of the Westboro church, based in Topeka, frequently protest at funerals of soldiers with signs containing messages such as “Thank God for dead soldiers,” and “Thank God for 9/11,” claiming the deaths are God’s punishment for American immorality and tolerance of homosexuality and abortion.

Westboro Baptist, a small group made mostly of Phelps’ extended family, inspired a federal law and laws in numerous states limiting picketing at funerals. But in a major free-speech ruling in 2011, the U.S. Supreme Court held that the church and its members couldn’t be sued for monetary damages for inflicting pain on grieving families under the First Amendment.

The Southern Poverty Law Center, a civil-rights nonprofit group, has called Westboro Baptist Church a hate group.

Satan
03-20-2014, 12:36 PM
Welcome home, you sorry bastard! http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d010.gif

http://th02.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2013/291/4/c/fred_phelps_in_hell_by_littlegreengamer-d6qymlq.png

fraroc
03-20-2014, 12:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2k3Hh1_XHI

BURN FRED BURN OOOOOOOOOOHHHHH

Satan
03-20-2014, 01:25 PM
As soon as Fred fills out his 666 pages of immigration paperwork, I'm taking him immediately over to meet his new roommate.....

http://images.tvrage.com/people/6/15076.jpg

FORD
03-20-2014, 07:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKdkR3fT6Xc

ODShowtime
03-20-2014, 10:21 PM
Hopefully he's in hell now.

BITEYOASS
03-20-2014, 10:36 PM
He will have to listen to this song or watch the video for all eternity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJgv-qBBT3Y

Nitro Express
03-21-2014, 12:53 AM
http://youtu.be/2ZufuRjh704

Someone's grave plot is going to be soaking in piss.

FORD
03-21-2014, 01:15 AM
He will have to listen to this song or watch the video for all eternity.

Nah, remember this is Phelps we're talking about. I think he would be far more tormented by an endless loop of this.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hYtUYiuzkw

....even when the Village People are pretending to have phone sex with women, they still look really fucking gay doing so. :biggrin:

Kristy
03-21-2014, 09:40 AM
Some interesting facts about this douchebag. Did you know Freddy boy was once a Civil Rights lawyer?

Nitro Express
03-21-2014, 01:21 PM
Phelps was possessed by evil spirits. Look at the dudes face. That's why nobody can figure him out. There's no logic to pure evil. Once you pass the point of no return you do evil for evil's sake. Some of the biggest evil charades as religion. Certain catholics use the church to protect child molesters. Certain jews destroy people with their banking and cry the victim when the people they screwed over come after them. Certain muslims justify murder in the name of their holy book. It goes on and on. Religion is the grand cloak to hide evil behind.

Satan
03-21-2014, 01:34 PM
Phelps was possessed by evil spirits. Look at the dudes face.

Uh..... not a chance in Hell. Nobody on my payroll was responsible for that mess! http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d025.gif

FORD
03-21-2014, 09:43 PM
It didn’t go quite as he’d imagined. . .

by Eleanor Margolis Published 21 March, 2014 (http://www.newstatesman.com/lifestyle/2014/03/what-happened-when-westboro-baptist-churchs-fred-phelps-arrived-gates-heaven) - 10:19

“Next!” says Saint Peter, beckoning an old man with cold blue eyes and a cowboy hat towards the Pearly Gates.

“Ah, Mr Phelps,” says the gatekeeper as the old man approaches. “What time do you call this? Twitter has had you down as practically dead since Monday.”

“Tweeter. . .” Says Phelps, gazing furrow-browed into the clouds.

“Never mind. Right, let’s get started, shall we? I’m afraid we’ve had to up security here a little, since the Thatcher Incident last year. I’m going to start by asking you a few questions about your time on earth.”

“By all means, sir. I know darn well I’ve led a righteous life. Ask away.”

“Great! Right then, Mr Phelps,” says Saint Peter, picking up a clipboard, “I’m going to present you with some statements. In response to each one, I need you to tell me if you strongly agree, agree, somewhat agree, disagree or strongly disagree. All clear?”

Phelps slowly nods his Stetson-topped head.

“Number one: ‘To the best of my ability, I did unto others as I would have them do unto me.’”

“Strongly agree,” shoots the unblinking Phelps.

“Right,” says Saint Peter, chewing on the end of his pen. “I’m afraid that answer presents us with a slight administrative problem. I’m not actually cleared to deal with this sort of thing yet – these security measures really are very new. I’m going to have to get Maureen from the Department of Heavenly Prerogatives and Standards to come and lend a hand. Please bear with me.”

“But sir,” says Phelps, eyes widening into vicious blue marbles, “I’m a true Christian. I lived my entire life according to the Lord’s word. Surely there’s no need for this?”

Ignoring Phelps, Saint Peter picks up a crackling walkie talkie, “Maureen,” he says into it, “We have a possible A1327 violation here.”

The walkie talkie squawks something indecipherable to Phelps, but a winged woman in a pencil skirt, with a Heaven Border Security tag on a lanyard, soon appears.

“Hello Mr Phelps, my name’s Maureen. I’m going to be helping you through security today.”

“This is a downright outrage!” bellows Phelps, “I did not dedicate my life to preaching the word of our Lord Jesus Christ to be held here, outside of Heaven’s Gate, like a godforsaken sodomite.”

“I understand that you’re upset, Mr Phelps” says Maureen in a tone that suggests that she has no experience dealing with the upset whatsoever, “But I’m afraid you’ve violated section A1327 of the Heavenly Security Code – that’s the Love Thy Neighbour clause.”

“This is BS!” says Phelps, raising his arms.

“Please, Mr Phelps,” says a decidedly bored Maureen. “If you’ll just bear with us. . .”

“I want to speak to God,” says Phelps, “He knows I’m a good Christian.”

“Mr Phelps, I’m afraid it’s that church of yours,” says Maureen, emphasising the word “church” with a pair of elaborate air quotation marks. “Your whole ‘God hates fags’ thing. See, what you’ve actually done is libel God. And to put it mildly, Mr Phelps, he’s not a happy bunny.”

“Libel?!” shrieks Phelps, his red face twitching like an electrocuted rump steak, “Leviticus 18:22: ‘Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable’. Those are His own words.”

“I’m sorry Mr Phelps, but all of that. . . wrathful stuff was overwritten in the Gospel of Matthew. You know, ‘love thy neighbour as thyself’. God decided to do a bit of a rebrand at that point, you see. And to be quite honest, you can’t just hate your way into Heaven like in the olden days. In fact, all of these security measures are part of Operation Cuddly Pants. Jesus has personally demanded a crackdown on all the ‘haters’ (his word, not mine) getting through the Pearly Gates.”

Phelp’s jaw creeks into its full extension.

“I’m afraid you’re going to have to fill out these forms,” says Maureen.

Phelps is nudged out of his catatonic state by the thud of a War and Peace-thick stack of paper hitting Saint Peter’s desk.

“It’ll take six to eight months to process,” adds Maureen, “In the meantime, you’re in luck – a room has just become available at the YMCA in Purgatory.

Two muscle-bound angels appear.

“Adam and Steve,” Maureen addresses them, “Please will you escort Mr Phelps downstairs.”

FORD
03-23-2014, 10:08 PM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: March 24 2014 – On behalf of Nathan Phelps, son of former Westboro Baptist Church leader Fred Phelps, Recovering From Religion issues the following official statement:

“Fred Phelps is now the past. The present and the future are for the living. Unfortunately, Fred’s ideas have not died with him, but live on, not just among the members of Westboro Baptist Church, but among the many communities and small minds that refuse to recognize the equality and humanity of our brothers and sisters on this small planet we share. I will mourn his passing, not for the man he was, but for the man he could have been. I deeply mourn the grief and pain felt by my family members denied their right to visit him in his final days. They deserved the right to finally have closure to decades of rejection, and that was stolen from them.

Even more, I mourn the ongoing injustices against the LGBT community, the unfortunate target of his 23 year campaign of hate. His life impacted many outside the walls of the WBC compound, uniting us across all spectrums of orientation and belief as we realized our strength lies in our commonalities, and not our differences. How many times have communities risen up together in a united wall against the harassment of my family? Differences have been set aside for that cause, tremendous and loving joint efforts mobilized within hours…and because of that, I ask this of everyone – let his death mean something. Let every mention of his name and of his church be a constant reminder of the tremendous good we are all capable of doing in our communities.

The lessons of my father were not unique to him, nor will this be the last we hear of his words, which are echoed from pulpits as close as other churches in Topeka, Kansas, where WBC headquarters remain, and as far away as Uganda. Let’s end the support of hateful and divisive teachings describing the LGBT community as “less than,” “sinful,” or “abnormal.” Embrace the LGBT community as our equals, our true brothers and sisters, by promoting equal rights for everyone, without exception. My father was a man of action, and I implore us all to embrace that small portion of his faulty legacy by doing the same.”

###

Contact: Sarah Morehead, Executive Director, Recovering From Religion
(512) 666-4630 § admin@recoveringfromreligion.org
10940 Parallel Pkwy, Suite K-145 § KS 66109
March 20th 2014

Nitro Express
03-24-2014, 04:00 AM
Another nutcase will lead the church. Or maybe they will get in a big fight over who's going to lead it and the church will fracture lose momentum and shrivel up and die.

fraroc
04-01-2014, 08:13 PM
I just read Banished by Lauren Drain and Oh my God....Fuck Steve Drain, he needs to be assraped with a broken beer bottle.