PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone into Steven Wilson/ Porcupine Tree?

binnie
03-22-2014, 03:45 PM
I've just started checking him/them out. Some very, very cool stuff - although the task is made somewhat more difficult by his being incredibly prolific!

I'm curious to learn if anyone else hear digs 'em. I've only really just started to dabble in prog (maybe I'm getting old.......)

VHscraps
03-22-2014, 05:41 PM
My brother is (!), but I confess I have never heard his work and / or Porcupine Tree ... but I understand that this guy Steven Wilson is also active remastering or remixing stuff for other bands, i.e., he seems to be highly regarded by the older generation of prog musicians.

binnie
03-23-2014, 07:08 PM
Yep: apparently his remasters of King Crimson are incredible.

katina
03-26-2014, 05:12 PM
I have a friend who is a fan and sometimes make me listen to Steven Wilson works. I posted in the YT Jams Thread "Luminol" time ago.

I havenīt heard a lot, as you have said Steven Wilson is incredibly prolific.

Try to find "Voyage 34", a very early Porcupine Tree.
More a chill-out, atmospheric album, itīs a very trippy listen, you need to be in the right mood.

katina
03-26-2014, 05:14 PM
I'm curious to learn if anyone else hear digs 'em. I've only really just started to dabble in prog (maybe I'm getting old.......)

I also like some old pioneers of prog, like Van Der Graaf Generator. Steven Wilson used samples of VDGG (among others) for "Voyage 34".

I read that the samples were from this song "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers".
This vid is from 1972 and I think itīs perfect for the occasion :), it's prog, has lot of candles, sparklers and a toast at the end from a barefoot Peter Hammill.

And you are right Binnie, you are getting old.....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BINNIE !!!!!

Have a wonderful day!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asPDvjUYFy4

Coyote
04-01-2014, 07:05 AM
I've just started checking him/them out. Some very, very cool stuff - although the task is made somewhat more difficult by his being incredibly prolific!

I got introduced to Porcupine Tree by a friend a few years back, and it is a very interesting band.

It also opened the door to checking out older prog like Genesis and Yes...