PDA

View Full Version : Official 'Star Trek' beer lets you drink like a Klingon

FORD
03-24-2014, 08:58 PM
Today is a good day to drink! "Star Trek" is getting an official beer modeled after the Klingon drink Warnog.

by Amanda Kooser
cnet.com (http://www.cnet.com/news/official-star-trek-beer-lets-you-drink-like-a-klingon/#ftag=CAD590a51e)
March 24, 2014 4:02 PM PDT

http://cnet3.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2014/03/24/7f299550-d6e9-4479-809f-fc82d7473aa5/resize/770x578/ed361af5e0022cf022e7d59745b12693/warnog2.jpg

Sharpen the bat'leth, a Klingon-inspired beer is coming to our little corner of the galaxy. Warnog gets the official "Star Trek" blessing and comes from Tin Man Brewing Company in Indiana in partnership with the Federation of Beer, a company that already released a product called Vulcan Ale.

The beer will be a Dunkelweizen style with rye. Expect banana and clove flavors, which doesn't actually sound like something a Klingon would drink. A real Klingon would probably be more into blood and steel flavors, something that tastes like more like victory and less like wheat.

Vulcan Ale has only been available in Canada, meaning Klingon Warnog will be the first official "Trek" beer available in the US. It should fuel many a "Star Trek" drinking game where you have to take a sip every time Captain Kirk violates the Prime Directive, Spock says "Fascinating," and Sulu takes the con.

The only surprise in all this is that Romulan Ale, perhaps the most famous of fictional "Star Trek" drinks, has yet to make an appearance in a can. Federation of Beer says it has plans to produce it at some point in the future.

The Klingon Warnog will have to tide over those of us who remember Quark's Bar from the late, lamented Star Trek: The Experience attraction in Las Vegas. It won't be quite the same as ordering a bubbling Warp Core Breach in a giant glass, but at least it's something. As the Klingons say: "TlhutlhmeH HIq ngeb qaq law' bIQ qaq puS." That means "Drinking fake ale is better than drinking water."

vandeleur
03-24-2014, 09:51 PM
Banana beer ?

FORD
03-24-2014, 09:54 PM
Probably more "tones" in the flavor than any actual bananas being harmed in the making of the beer. Fruity tones are common in some of those European Dunkel type beers.... even if they are made by Klingons. Or Trekkies pretending to be Klingons.

Drink long and prosper :gulp:

vandeleur
03-24-2014, 10:01 PM
Am not a massive fan of "Dunkel" beers , though I have had many a night on erdinger ( think that's the spelling) and it's nice laced with lethal hangover potential.

Nitro Express
03-24-2014, 10:51 PM
They were into the hard stuff on Star Trek. Romulan ale. Scotty has his stash of scotch hidden around. Bones even was into Tennessee whiskey. I didn't see much beer drinking. I saw shots being slammed and green bitch humpin.

FORD
03-24-2014, 11:14 PM
Probably something to do with warp drives and zero gravity fucking up the brewing process. Otherwise Scotty would have set up a microbrewery somewhere in the engine room. If I remember correctly, it was an entire deck of the ship, so he could have found the space for it.

vandeleur
03-24-2014, 11:43 PM
Am sure they probably have a little sumit up on the iss .. You got clever people with a grasp of chemistry and lots of tubing you gotta think there is vodka kicking about.

FORD
03-24-2014, 11:56 PM
Well, if Picard can walk up to a machine, say "Earl Gray, hot" and get the perfect cup of tea, then I would hope you could walk up to a similar machine and say "Obsidian Stout, cold" or "Tequila, NOT Cabo Wabo", or whatever.

Dr. Love
03-25-2014, 01:18 AM
Prune juice is the drink of the warrior

Nitro Express
03-25-2014, 02:04 AM
Am sure they probably have a little sumit up on the iss .. You got clever people with a grasp of chemistry and lots of tubing you gotta think there is vodka kicking about.

I worked with a guy who worked on Apache helicopters and he was stationed in Saudi Arabia during the Gulf War. Saudi Arabia is a dry country. Well they just couldn't stand not having any booze so they stole canned peaches from the mess and fermented and distilled them into some crazy liquor. He said it got you drunk.

I guess they figured out how to turn a French automatic rifle that was a piece of shit and jammed all the time into a still in the trenches of WWI. If there is a will there is a way.

Nitro Express
03-25-2014, 02:06 AM
Prune juice is the drink of the warrior

Add yeast. Let it ferment for a week and fire up the still!

We have springs fed by glacial run off around here. Really good water. I always wondered if you could make good whiskey with it. Some of the old timers said they would make shine out of that water back in the day. Too many tourists prowling around now. LOL!

FORD
03-26-2014, 01:38 PM
Water makes a lot more difference than you might think. I don't know anybody who makes moonshine, but I would imagine the water could be as much of a factor there as it is with beer or wine.

Olympia beer used the marketing slogan "It's the Water". It wasn't the best beer on the planet, obviously, but as far as cheap beers go, it probably was better than most similarly priced swill, and it was the Artesian well water that made the difference.

My dad used to make his own wine. We had our own well, so it wasn't a case of chlorinated water or anything, but there was a lot of sulfur in it. Occasionally that "rotten egg smell" would come out of the pipes. My grandpa also made his own wine and seemed to have better results. His water came from a natural spring on his property. It made all the difference. Sure enough, when dad tried using some of grandpa's water, it was a lot better. And when grandpa passed away and we had to sell the old homestead, we started using the Artesian water from the well downtown. It was kind of a pain in the ass lugging that around in those heavy glass bottles (the big old school water cooler kind) but the end result was worth it.

Sadly when dad retired and my parents moved into an old folks trailer park, he gave up the wine making. And I don't have the space for it here to take up the practice myself. (Or home brewing either) :(

vandeleur
03-26-2014, 01:47 PM
I've heard very similar stories .
My friends dad worked at Scottish and Newcastle breweries . And when they moved to Gateshead out of Newcastle town center all the people at the breweries said Newcastle brown ale had a different taste as they had changed the water source .
Clearly these were brewery professionals , your average drunk couldn't tell the difference .

Nickdfresh
03-26-2014, 07:35 PM
It takes a very special drunk with a pallet honed through decades of alcohol over indulgence to sense the fine, subtle notes and nuances of top shelf beer... :)

(In short, I should work there!)

vandeleur
03-26-2014, 07:50 PM
I prefer to see myself as a talented amateur , tho I could help out if they needed it :)

Nitro Express
03-26-2014, 08:06 PM
Water makes a lot more difference than you might think. I don't know anybody who makes moonshine, but I would imagine the water could be as much of a factor there as it is with beer or wine.

Olympia beer used the marketing slogan "It's the Water". It wasn't the best beer on the planet, obviously, but as far as cheap beers go, it probably was better than most similarly priced swill, and it was the Artesian well water that made the difference.

My dad used to make his own wine. We had our own well, so it wasn't a case of chlorinated water or anything, but there was a lot of sulfur in it. Occasionally that "rotten egg smell" would come out of the pipes. My grandpa also made his own wine and seemed to have better results. His water came from a natural spring on his property. It made all the difference. Sure enough, when dad tried using some of grandpa's water, it was a lot better. And when grandpa passed away and we had to sell the old homestead, we started using the Artesian water from the well downtown. It was kind of a pain in the ass lugging that around in those heavy glass bottles (the big old school water cooler kind) but the end result was worth it.

Sadly when dad retired and my parents moved into an old folks trailer park, he gave up the wine making. And I don't have the space for it here to take up the practice myself. (Or home brewing either) :(

I watched that video on Popcorn Sutton on making moonshine. Apparently water is very important. You can't use city water with the chlorine and chemicals in it. Fresh low iron spring water is what you have to have.

My inlaws used to live on Tiger Mountain outside of Issaquah. They had great water out of the tap there.

DONNIEP
03-26-2014, 08:09 PM
Holy hell, there's a Star Trek beer here now?? I gotta have me some of that!

Man, I drank a lot of Olympia when I was young. It was a good cheap beer.

TFM_Dale
03-26-2014, 08:23 PM
Fuck Star Trek, give me some Chalmun's Cantina IPA.
:gulp:

FORD
03-26-2014, 08:37 PM
Apparently they still make a beer with the "Olympia" label, but it's not made here, and therefore, doubtful that they use the good old Artesian water......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2VcqffbbH8

I'm actually surprised that YouTube had that ad :biggrin:

Sadly, the old brewery (which is about a mile from my house) has sat vacant for years.... the original Olympia Brewing Company was bought up by Pabst and then somewhere sold to Miller, and then Miller was sold to some South African corporation, and somewhere in the middle of all that, they decided to write into their paperwork that no other brewery could ever own the property.

Problem is that it's damn near impossible for the property to be used for anything else, considering it's located right next to the Deschutes River AND on top of the Artesian wells that were used for the beer, which would mean any major construction in the era would be far too damaging to the environment, and not likely to happen.

So even though I wasn't a big fan of the product, I really miss the brewery :(

DONNIEP
03-26-2014, 09:37 PM

I'd buy that! Oh yeah, and Han fired first!

Nitro Express
03-27-2014, 12:55 AM

Olympia was the standard Northwest regional swill. I can remember seeing Olympia signs all over where I grew up. We managed to score a few cases of it when I was 16 and I proceeded to make a big pyramid of Olympia cans. Later I was puking all that Olympia back out. Oh the memories.

chefcraig
03-27-2014, 09:07 AM

Fuck this...bananas and cloves? :puking-smiley:

Give me a case or two of this shit, with some Star Trek decals covering the can.

http://i57.tinypic.com/vn2tes.jpg

"The beer to have when you're having more than one." What a brilliant ad campaign for non-discerning, nor judgmental alcoholics, about the only club I'll admit belonging to.

You guys should have attended my Live Aid viewing party in 1985. Roughly 45 folks showed up (one particular nutcase at 7 AM) to my bedroom at my parent's house, and the cost of admission was a 12 pack of Schaefer Beer. I more or less dozed off during Clapton's set, but a few less inebriated attendees slapped me awake for the somewhat less than stellar Zep set.

Oh, and thanks a lot MTV, not only for having the one-time cool guy Mark Goodman announce the set list before the event, yet by showing close ups of the boringly enraptured VJs during the set. Plus, having the eternally clueless Alan Hunter announce that John Paul Jones would be playing drums must have come as quite a surprise to everyone involved, including Jones himself.

vandeleur
03-27-2014, 09:48 AM
My hook line would be ....." Beer, so fat lasses get a fuck as well "

chefcraig
03-27-2014, 06:18 PM
My hook line would be ....." Beer, so fat lasses get a fuck as well "

Which pretty much goes so far as to explain my first marriage.

http://i62.tinypic.com/a4wpj6.jpg