PDA

View Full Version : Detroit, y'all!!

ashstralia
04-22-2014, 04:53 AM
:)

http://mobile.news.com.au/travel/world-travel/this-melbourne-mum-found-detroit-usa-unlike-any-other-city-shed-been-to-before/story-e6frfqc9-1226892393603

Von Halen
04-22-2014, 07:21 AM
Well written.

Angel
04-22-2014, 07:40 AM
Why do people think snow and ice means staying indoors? There's so much to do outside!

Von Halen
04-22-2014, 08:03 AM
Why do people think snow and ice means staying indoors? There's so much to do outside!

Like what?

ELVIS
04-22-2014, 08:13 AM
Get shot by a thug ??

ELVIS
04-22-2014, 09:06 AM
Well written.

Most propaganda is...

Von Halen
04-22-2014, 09:10 AM
Most propaganda is...

You don't believe her?

VAiN
04-22-2014, 09:12 AM
Reads like a slap and a hug. Bottom line - it's a shithole.

ELVIS
04-22-2014, 09:15 AM
You don't believe her?

No...

Von Halen
04-22-2014, 09:23 AM
No...

Come on up and see for yourself.

ZahZoo
04-22-2014, 09:33 AM
The last sentence summed it up pretty well...

I don’t want to live there but I am really glad to have visited.

ELVIS
04-22-2014, 10:38 AM
Come on up and see for yourself.

No thanks...

The crime is bad enough here where it's warm and people have jobs...

Nitro Express
04-22-2014, 11:09 AM
Detroit has been in slow decline for decades but the outsourcing of the last few decades has hit Detroit especially hard. Also, being located in a harsh winter climate and having a corrupt city government does not help. The tech jobs seem to be in more moderate climates.

Let's face it, the United States has been transformed from a manufacturing economy to a war economy. We are the worlds largest supplier of weaponry and we need constant war to justify that. The military contractors like Lockheed make billions of dollars off of government contracts.

Of course with our meddling in the Ukraine, push on Syria, and push to the western pacific region Russia and China have said enough is enough. We know you finance your big war machine by using your machine to force the rest of the world to buy middle east oil in US Dollars. Well. We are tired of your bullshit so maybe we will use our combined influence and end your little petro-dollar gimmick.

The thing is the US is no longer a democratic republic. It's an oligarchy. 1% of the population now have half or more of the wealth. Them and their foreign buddies buy our political system. The Supreme Court blesses their big spending in politics. The average american is given little choice because it's rigged. Oh they fooled the public with Barrack Obama because he had a different name, a different look, a different story but in the end it was the same old game.

We are ran by puppets and their psycopath masters. People who are willing to risk World War III to stay in power or maybe they have a burned earth view. If they can't have it nobody will. We have a currency in danger of collapsing. Sure they can use gimmicks to shore it up but the world is getting tired of US warmongering. I doubt the latest media frenzy to demonize Russia is going to have the hoped effect to pull the world to the US side.

They are trying to take us back to the cold war days to save the US dollar and to justify the US war machine.

All I can say is it's a big fucking mess and Detroit continues to rot.

Seshmeister
04-22-2014, 11:22 AM
:)

http://mobile.news.com.au/travel/world-travel/this-melbourne-mum-found-detroit-usa-unlike-any-other-city-shed-been-to-before/story-e6frfqc9-1226892393603

Australia y'all... :)

Angel
04-22-2014, 05:09 PM
Like what?

Skating, skiing, snowman building, angel making, snowshoeing, hockey, sledding, igloo and fort building, dog sledding, tobaganning, curling...just to name a few...

Fairwrning
04-22-2014, 05:23 PM
I would live in Detroit if my only other choice was Chicago..

twonabomber
04-22-2014, 07:33 PM

Like what?

Shivering?

Get shot by a thug ??

Some people are shooting back. I've read a few articles recently about Detroit residents shooting people that have broken into their homes.

ashstralia
04-22-2014, 10:11 PM
It pains me to see once thriving industrial areas fall to ruin. There are parts of inner Sydney like that, other parts that became gentrified and hipster havens. As a kid in the 70's, the heavy industry precincts were cool to explore, and the people who worked in the factories were the proud working class salt of the earth types that I felt connected us to earlier times.

I'll definitely be visiting Detroit when I get my ass over there!!

Kristy
04-22-2014, 11:05 PM

If you can stop humping kangaroos long enough. And who in the fuck would ever want to see Detroit!?!?

ashstralia
04-22-2014, 11:28 PM
Look K, for once and for all: I don't hump kangaroos!!!!

They don't stay still long enough. :bigwink:

And I'm planning on seeing as much USA as possible.

Nitro Express
04-22-2014, 11:31 PM
It pains me to see once thriving industrial areas fall to ruin. There are parts of inner Sydney like that, other parts that became gentrified and hipster havens. As a kid in the 70's, the heavy industry precincts were cool to explore, and the people who worked in the factories were the proud working class salt of the earth types that I felt connected us to earlier times.

The Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn is worth seeing. Actually the area around Detroit is beautiful. The great lakes regions are wonderful road tripping areas especially in the fall when the leaves start to change.

You can bomb a city with bombs or you can bomb a city with economic warfare. Cities that were once ruins and rubble have been rebuilt and come back. Maybe that will happen to Detroit. Right now the US is being fleeced and robbed by some international bankers and it's happened because the politicians allowed it to happen and the people are too ignorant to figure it out. They just care about getting something from the government for their own selfish interests and don't care about the big picture.

At the end of the day, the eye sore you see is the result of years and years of corruption.

twonabomber
04-23-2014, 04:34 AM
X2 on the Henry Ford Museum. Haven't been there since I was a kid, but it's got a lot of stuff.

My dad, brother, and nephew went up to Detroit for some kind of car show and then took a drive around town. My nephew kept wanting to stop and take pics of run down buildings, and he posted a bunch on his FB. One was a bombed-out mini-mart and he tagged it "beautiful Detroit."

But then my dad lives in Toledo and sometimes I don't think it's much better there...

ashstralia
04-23-2014, 05:00 AM
Yeah man. I remember that photo essay from a few years ago with the once magnificent theatre looking shit.
Broke my heart a bit.

Edit: deffo visiting Henry's joint. It's goin on the list.

Kristy
04-23-2014, 05:55 PM
Look K, for once and for all: I don't hump kangaroos!!!!

They don't stay still long enough. :bigwink:

And I'm planning on seeing as much USA as possible.

No, please stay in your kangaroo humping continent.

ashstralia
07-05-2014, 12:02 AM
Here's another article in our meeja from today... More of an ad really, but I still enjoyed the read.

http://m.smh.com.au/travel/detroit-usa-motor-city-makeover-20140702-3b7ev.html