PDA

View Full Version : Judas Priest "Redeemer Of Souls"

ace diamond
04-28-2014, 09:39 PM
Here's the new title track. July 14 in EU, and July 15 here in the states. July 16 in Japan. sorry, Cato.

http://youtu.be/mhkoNQ-7uRw

binnie
05-10-2014, 04:21 PM
I'm surprised that no-one hasn't commented on the new Priest tune yet. Has their stock really sunk that low?

Personally, I think it's underwhelming....

sonrisa salvaje
05-12-2014, 08:30 AM
Purposely haven't listened to it because i don't want to get into judgement based on one song. I will be buying it the day it comes out. Priest and Maiden our automatic purchases here.

binnie
05-12-2014, 08:56 AM
Automatic purchases here, too. Even though the two 'reunion' Priest albums have both been underwhelming.....

Mr. Vengeance
05-12-2014, 10:30 AM
Purposely haven't listened to it because i don't want to get into judgement based on one song. I will be buying it the day it comes out. Priest and Maiden our automatic purchases here.
I do the same thing. I don't like early song releases for that very reason- either sets me up to expect too much or too little.

It had better be better than Nostradamus...that thing sucked shit.

twonabomber
05-12-2014, 07:43 PM
I give it three meh's out of five.

Is it too early for "it ain't Priest without KK Downing" stickers and t-shirts?

Mr. Vengeance
05-13-2014, 01:36 AM
I give it three meh's out of five.

Is it too early for "it ain't Priest without KK Downing" stickers and t-shirts?

I'm just getting ready for the avalanch of "they haven't done anything decent since Screaming for Vengeance" posts. I swear, it gets posted every time an old band puts out anything new.

binnie
05-13-2014, 03:04 AM
I'm just getting ready for the avalanch of "they haven't done anything decent since Screaming for Vengeance" posts. I swear, it gets posted every time an old band puts out anything new.

True, and usually BS. You can't expect people to emulate the music they made when they were part of the zeitgeist.

I'd say that Priest's last truly great album was 'Painkiller' (1990). The reunion moments have yielded some good tracks, but compared to what they contemporaries have been producing (Maiden, Rush, even Ozzy's last solo record) they've been underwhelming. 'Nostradamus' was certainly a bold move, but it was a real clunker.

I've always prefered Priest's '70s material to the stuff that's generally considered their best in the '80s. But it's really splitting hairs. If you go from 'Sad Wings Of Destiny' (1976) to 'Defenders Of The Faith' (1984) you've got a aresnal of music which can compete with any metal in history. Even if 'Point Of Entry' (1981) was a but iffy in places :D

binnie
05-15-2014, 02:54 PM
I like the artwork for the new album:

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/2014-05-15/judas-priest-unveil-album-art-for-redeemer-of-souls

Land's Edge
05-19-2014, 05:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJhm2vZFj2k&feature=youtu.be

I'm not sure about this song, I like the riff. But I find it kind of boring also, and Rob's voice sounds odd. Don't like that!

binnie
05-20-2014, 02:43 AM
I really don't like it when people criticise guys in their 60s for not being able to sing like they could in their 20s and 30s, but Rob sounds bored there. It's a decent enough tune - with more than a nod to 'Metal Gods' - and the return to simple but effective has to be a plus point after 'Nostradamus'.

ace diamond
05-25-2014, 11:37 PM
Angel Of Retribution from 2005 kicked fucking ass. Classic Priest. Hopefully, Redeemer Of Souls will pick up where "Angel Of Retribution" left off.

Kristy
05-25-2014, 11:53 PM
So Ace, where's the cape?

Kristy
05-25-2014, 11:54 PM
I really don't like it when people criticise guys in their 60s for not being able to sing like they could in their 20s and 30s, but Rob sounds bored there. It's a decent enough tune - with more than a nod to 'Metal Gods' - and the return to simple but effective has to be a plus point after 'Nostradamus'.

I have absolutely no idea what you just said. But it sounded good.

ace diamond
05-26-2014, 12:01 AM
So Ace, where's the cape?

the fake blood, and all the costumes went out with the weekly trash pick-up about 6 months ago. I don't use any of that stuff anymore.
I don't need Gimmicks anymore. I've gotten past all that.

Kristy
05-26-2014, 09:58 AM
So, in other words, you just became a gimmick?

sonrisa salvaje
05-27-2014, 03:53 PM
Shaping up to be a nice June with Tesla, Priest and Ace Frehley all releasing new cd's. Who's ready to throw down?

Kristy
05-27-2014, 07:59 PM
Don't forget kids, those Zep remasters come out next week. You know what that means, don't you? That's right. The end of civilization.

FORD
05-27-2014, 08:25 PM
They should come out on June 6 at 6 AM, so the religious reich can start a whole new round of ZEPPELIN WORSHIPS THE FUCKING DEVIL!!! rumors.

WACF
05-28-2014, 11:51 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJKpJ5_Cjso

binnie
05-29-2014, 05:34 AM
Angel Of Retribution from 2005 kicked fucking ass. Classic Priest. Hopefully, Redeemer Of Souls will pick up where "Angel Of Retribution" left off.

It really didn't. It sounded like self-parody. 'Lochness' for fucks sake.....

ELVIS
05-29-2014, 08:46 AM
Yep...

I bought it and gave it away...

Mr. Vengeance
07-09-2014, 11:20 AM
Picked the album up yesterday. In the process of listening to it. So far it is certainly heavy but none of the songs have really knocked me out, but I'm only three tunes in. More opinion to come.

Mr. Vengeance
07-09-2014, 06:40 PM
So I've had my first listen. My version came with a bonus disk. I didn't see any single disk option where I bought it, so????

Anyway, I'll leave the reviewing to Binnie, since I'm sure he'll sum it up well for everyone, but after one listen this album takes about 5 songs to really start grooving. Heavy. Very heavy. Probably the heaviest since Jugulator. The first four tunes are heavy but not particularly melodic. By track 5 they really combine the heaviness with melody ("Metalizer" excepted), and the album works for me much more.

Much better than that steaming pile, Nostradamus, I must say. The bonus disk has some good tunes, which are not quite as heavy as the rest of the album.

sonrisa salvaje
07-11-2014, 09:41 AM
I got the bonus disc version as well. Best Buy had both the regular and the deluxe versions. I have only listened to the first disc thus far and i am very happy with it. An album with 13 songs on it is a lot to digest. With the 5 songs on the bonus disc that makes 18 songs. I must say that i haven't heard much filler and i think it takes off from the jump.

binnie
07-11-2014, 09:53 AM
Review posted.....

sonrisa salvaje
07-11-2014, 05:20 PM
Review posted.....

You may want to take another listen.

Mr. Vengeance
07-11-2014, 06:08 PM
Binnie didn't like it as much as I did, apparently.

binnie
07-14-2014, 03:22 AM
I liked it, but I think it was because of the nostalgia/love I have for Priest. Looked at objectively, it's not a good album in the same way that Black Sabbath's 13 isn't a good album.

We enjoy them because we're so invested in the band. That being said, it's much better than 'Nostradmus' or 'Angel Of Retribution'.

Von Halen
07-14-2014, 07:51 AM
It's normally not like me to struggle with buying music from a band like Priest, but I am struggling with this one. After I got burned on that one that was so fucking awash with the double bass drum, I haven't listened to them much at all. Love the old Priest. Especially "Unleashed In The East". I should probably get this new one...getting better reviews than their other recent stuff.

binnie
07-14-2014, 08:42 AM
It's worth your money if you're a fan, Von. There are some good moments.

sonrisa salvaje
07-14-2014, 11:03 AM
IMO nostalgia can only go so far when it comes to a good record. No amount of it can make Sabbath's 13 good. There are a couple of fleeting moments but it is just tired, safe and lacks cohesion. Redeemer of souls is just the opposite. It has real energy and the band sounds hungry. I think it is a damn good record and i don't think i feel that way due to having a soft place in my heart for the band. The music either cuts the mustard or it doesn't. By the second listen i was hooked.

ELVIS
07-14-2014, 02:38 PM
After I got burned on that one that was so fucking awash with the double bass drum, I haven't listened to them much at all. Love the old Priest.

You might like it then...

The new album reminds me of pre-Screaming For Vengeance Priest...

binnie
07-14-2014, 02:51 PM
Would we all agree that 'Crossfire' is the best song?

And 'March Of The Damned' or 'Metalizer' the worst?

sonrisa salvaje
07-14-2014, 02:59 PM

I let a friend of mine listen to it and he absolutely loved Crossfire. I like it as well but my favorites are Dragonaut, Halls of Valhalla and Secrets of the Dead. I would agree that Metalizer is the weakest for sure. I could do without that one. I haven't even been able to listen to the 5 bonus tracks yet because i can't get the main disc out of rotation. I bought that new Tesla also and it doesn't stand a chance.

binnie
07-14-2014, 03:02 PM
I let a friend of mine listen to it and he absolutely loved Crossfire. I like it as well but my favorites are Dragonaut, Halls of Valhalla and Secrets of the Dead. I would agree that Metalizer is the weakest for sure. I could do without that one. I haven't even been able to listen to the 5 bonus tracks yet because i can't get the main disc out of rotation. I bought that new Tesla also and it doesn't stand a chance.

Agree with 'Halls Of Valhalla' and 'Dragonaut'.

New Tesla should be good - those guys have never got the dues they deserve......

sonrisa salvaje
07-14-2014, 03:06 PM
I'd like to know what you guys think about the last Maiden record vs this Priest record.

ELVIS
07-14-2014, 03:41 PM

Lemme listen again for an accurate analysis...;)

ELVIS
07-14-2014, 03:42 PM
I never liked Tesla beyond being a good bar band...

Kristy
07-14-2014, 05:09 PM

Um, sure.

Nitro Express
07-14-2014, 05:38 PM
Judas was a priest. I thought he was a back stabbing apostle.

Mr. Vengeance
07-14-2014, 07:47 PM
I'll agree that Metalizer is the weakest track. Formulaic metal. Let me give it another listen or two and I'll choose my fave.

binnie
07-15-2014, 02:23 AM
I'd like to know what you guys think about the last Maiden record vs this Priest record.

Maiden's studio output has been superb since they got together with Bruce and Adrian again. I think that 'The Final Frontier' was a bit of a compromise, thought - they clearly want to make a prog record, but feel that they have to put some 'traditional' Maiden on it for the fans. The result was something that wasn't as balanced as it might have been........

Anonymous
07-15-2014, 08:06 AM
I never liked Tesla beyond being a good bar band...

That's a helluva lot better than most bands around.

Cheers! :beers:

Von Halen
07-16-2014, 06:35 PM
Well, I listened to it all the way through, twice today while out on the road. I almost feel guilty saying this, but I got tired of hearing Halford with this music. I understand and agree, that it wouldn't be Priest without Halford. But I found myself wondering what these songs would sound like with a different singer. Not a clone, a different singer. Even so, overall, I like it. The music mostly kills. Although I will definitely forget "Never Forget". I also think part of the problem is, 18 songs is just too many. They should have taken the best 9 or 10, and left us wanting more. Then they could have released the rest later, with room for a couple they write in the mean time. Or, they might even rework them into better songs in a year or so. Damn good album from a band that's been around as long as they have.

ELVIS
07-16-2014, 06:39 PM
They should have taken the best 9 or 10, and left us wanting more.

Totally agree...

The same goes for ADKOT...

chuckjitsu
07-16-2014, 07:18 PM
Totally agree...

The same goes for ADKOT...

The difference is, with Priest you'll most likely get more, so maybe that works there. With VH, ADKOT could very well be it, so I'll take all I can get.

Mr. Vengeance
07-17-2014, 05:19 PM
ROS enters Billborad top 200 at #6. I believe that makes it their first top ten album, which I find amazing.

Hardrock69
07-21-2014, 03:04 PM
Finally got the deluxe edition Saturday.

What a load of crap.

1. The songs are not bad. Several of them are pretty cool, but I would not classify any of them as "classic" or "timeless". I find no fault with their performances. Ritchie Faulkner is a welcome addition to the band.

2. The mix sucks fucking ass. The guitars and bass drown out the drums. They should be showcasing Scott Travis instead of burying him in mush. You can barely hear the snare drum, and the kick drum is a wet cardboard box with no definition. One of the slow songs, you cannot understand a word of what Halford is singing, because the clean/acoustic guitars are so high in the mix they bury the vocal. Not only that, the fucking thing is brickwalled like a motherfucker, and there is digital distortion in some places.

3. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being best, I give it a 4. The songwriting is not bad, but it is not spectacular enough to give it anything more than 4, due to being dragged down into the mud with the shitty mix.

I have always supported Priest, and I own all their albums. I am happy to buy this record, as it keeps the band going, and I am happy the album debuted at No. 6 on the Billboard charts.

That said, I wanted an album that would kick my ass, and Priest failed to deliver. Someday I may drag it out and listen to it again, but it will be years before I do, as forgettable as it is.

IF they release another studio album, I will probably buy it, but as songwriters, I think their best days are long gone, and, as Glenn Tipton co-mixed the album, I must say he fucking sucks as an engineer/producer. Just look at his solo albums. The mixes did not do justice to the fact that a lot of the tracks were done with John Entwistle & Cozy Powell.

I am satisfied that I am missing them 2wice on this tour. That sucks, as they were my favorite band for over 30 years.

Thus endeth the review.

sonrisa salvaje
07-22-2014, 12:48 PM
The funny thing is the record enters at #6 and only sold like 30k copies in the U.S. while Nostradamus sold like 50k in its first week. Even maiden doesn't sell 100k in the U.S. in the first week. It makes ADKOT that much more of a statement when you consider what it sold its first week.

binnie
08-02-2014, 10:23 AM
I've been listening to this record quite a bit this week, and I'm still finding it hard to get excited about. It's not a bad record by any means, but there's very little in the way of fire to these ears........

sonrisa salvaje
08-04-2014, 03:58 PM
I still can't figure out what you were looking for Bin. What did you want that they didn't deliver? Also, i am interested to know what you think their last record was that was better than this?

binnie
08-05-2014, 02:56 AM
I still can't figure out what you were looking for Bin. What did you want that they didn't deliver? Also, i am interested to know what you think their last record was that was better than this?

Their last record that was better than this? Painkiller.

I wasn't expecting it to be as good as that, obviously. What I hoped for, however, was that it wouldn't be so Priest-by-numbers in places, that they'd actually have a little fire in the belly. I suppose, ultimately, I was hoping for a record which makes me want to hear the songs off it live. Is anyone going to buy tickets for the next Priest tour saying, 'Oooo, I hope they play 'March Of The Damned' tonight'? Nope.

sonrisa salvaje
08-06-2014, 04:17 PM
Their last record that was better than this? Painkiller.

I wasn't expecting it to be as good as that, obviously. What I hoped for, however, was that it wouldn't be so Priest-by-numbers in places, that they'd actually have a little fire in the belly. I suppose, ultimately, I was hoping for a record which makes me want to hear the songs off it live. Is anyone going to buy tickets for the next Priest tour saying, 'Oooo, I hope they play 'March Of The Damned' tonight'? Nope.

You surprised me there. i thought you might actually give Demolition a look. I really liked that album but i would have to agree with you. Best record since Painkiller. I would look forward to hearing several of these tracks live but hey, i get it, it just doesn't speak to you.

binnie
08-07-2014, 02:44 AM
You surprised me there. i thought you might actually give Demolition a look. I really liked that album but i would have to agree with you. Best record since Painkiller. I would look forward to hearing several of these tracks live but hey, i get it, it just doesn't speak to you.

I like 'Demolition' - I suppose I wasn't including it in the equation because it's not a Halford record.

I'd be pleased if they played new stuff live - I wouldn't be disappointed if they didn't, but I always like to hear songs I'm not expecting at a gig.

binnie
08-07-2014, 05:55 AM
You've now got me thinking that 'Demolition' or 'Jugulator' would make an interesting album review........

Mr. Vengeance
08-07-2014, 10:46 AM
Jugulator I just found wayyyy too heavy for a Priest record. I like my metal, but I expect a little melody from Priest. Demolition had more of it.