PDA

View Full Version : Metallica to headline Glastonbury festival

vandeleur
05-08-2014, 02:07 PM
Metallica to headline Glastonbury 2014

http://m.soundcloud.com/bbcradio1/zane-lowe-interview-lars-ulrich-from-metallica/s-RvlXK?in=bbcradio1/sets/zane-lowe-feature-interviews

binnie
05-08-2014, 03:25 PM
Weird.

I imagine most of the hippies at Glastonbury won't dig something as heavy as Metallica.............

binnie
05-08-2014, 03:37 PM
It strikes me that this might be the only gig that Metallica have played in the UK in the past decade which I won't be able to attend. Tickets for Glasto are like gold-dust......

Oh well, still get to see 'em at Knebworth in July......

vandeleur
05-08-2014, 05:16 PM
Not sure hippies go to Glastonbury anymore , the two people I know who go regular ish are kinda indie trendy types . Not Metallica types for sure .

binnie
05-08-2014, 05:21 PM
Not sure hippies go to Glastonbury anymore , the two people I know who go regular ish are kindly indie trendy types . Not Metallica types for sure .

I use the term 'hippy' as a catch-all for anyone who likes 'rock' that isn't really ROCK: indie jingly-jangly shite, folk-rock shite, AOR shite, look-at-us-we-wear-tight-jeans-and-read-Satre shite, and the don't-be-fooled-by-our-ripped-jeans-we're-a-'rock'-band-for-13-year-old-girls shite. People who think that Nickleback are edgy and Mumford and Sons are 'deep'.....

vandeleur
05-08-2014, 05:28 PM
Yeah that's them :)

vandeleur
05-08-2014, 05:32 PM
Oh and the only people I know who use the phrase catch all are boxing fans :D

VHscraps
05-09-2014, 03:53 PM
I also think that a lot of folks who go to Glasto now aren't actually music fans, but go because it is always the hot "alternative" ticket for bozos who think they know what's hip. I certainly remember people I worked beside who had zero interest in music or going to gigs would be geared up to get in first for the Glastonbury tickets, and taking the whole weekend, the tent and all that. Something in the UK happened after the House music phenomenon - Glasto got co-opted by that generation.

And ... if you watch the TV coverage, everybody gets a good reception no matter how old or superannuated they are. It's a weird fucking mix of trendy wannabees in the audience, the leftover crusty types for whom it was a real alternative culture up until about the late 80s, and then the often ludicrous heritage acts on stage mixed in with whatever is hot in any particular year.

I'm sure Metallica will rock their balls off and the crowd will go mad and it will look good on video when they look back on their career.

binnie
05-09-2014, 03:57 PM
I also think that a lot of folks who go to Glasto now aren't actually music fans, but go because it is always the hot "alternative" ticket for bozos who think they know what's hip. I certainly remember people I worked beside who had zero interest in music or going to gigs would be geared up to get in first for the Glastonbury tickets, and taking the whole weekend, the tent and all that. Something in the UK happened after the House music phenomenon - Glasto got co-opted by that generation.

And ... if you watch the TV coverage, everybody gets a good reception no matter how old or superannuated they are. It's a weird fucking mix of trendy wannabees in the audience, the leftover crusty types for whom it was a real alternative culture up until about the late 80s, and then the often ludicrous heritage acts on stage mixed in with whatever is hot in any particular year.

I'm sure Metallica will rock their balls off and the crowd will go mad and it will look good on video when they look back on their career.

This is exactly correct - I loathe hipsters......

I doubt Metallica are doing it for the cash - Glasto pays much less than what they normally charge to headline, I suspect. They're doing it simple because they haven't done it. I just can't see all of those crusty wankers digging it....

VHscraps
05-09-2014, 04:11 PM
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd120/hipsterrunoff/photographs/hro/c72087ef.jpg

Nothing against men with beards, but I noticed recently for the first time this new breed of hispter guys with ludicrous beards - just stupid looking. I think I had seen some advertising poster on a bus stop with one of these beardy fools, and then I felt old. I thought, "oh, fuck - they think this looks cool".

And then I started noticing more of them - the clothes ... clothes that look like have not been put on of a morning, but grown into - as if these knobs went to sleep five years earlier as 14-year old kids and woke up as 19-year old knobheads. Arms and legs of the clothes too short, uncomfortably tight looking, and sometimes wearing spectacles that are not actually spectacles (see knobs in pic above).

Kristy
05-10-2014, 12:27 PM
Fuck those plagiarizing pussies. Here's some REAL rock and roll!

And it's "Made in London town, fists are up to knuckle down because we are the boys who've got the noise and clout
It's argue upside down black and white and wrong way round. Infight, outright, uptight, downright, inside out. Back to front

That's fucking brilliant!

Coyote
05-10-2014, 12:53 PM
I use the term 'hippy' as a catch-all for anyone who likes 'rock' that isn't really ROCK: indie jingly-jangly shite, folk-rock shite, AOR shite, look-at-us-we-wear-tight-jeans-and-read-Satre shite, and the don't-be-fooled-by-our-ripped-jeans-we're-a-'rock'-band-for-13-year-old-girls shite. People who think that Nickleback are edgy and Mumford and Sons are 'deep'.....

Y'know... Morons.