PDA

View Full Version : Dr Oz and the great nutritional supplements scam

Seshmeister
06-24-2014, 01:26 PM
John Oliver gets better and better... :)

ashstralia
06-24-2014, 07:45 PM
Yeah, Oprah needs to up the dosage. :)

Anonymous
06-24-2014, 08:18 PM
Wait, did you just post a video exposing a man of science as a fraud?

You mean, these people can actually not only be wrong, but wilfully DECEIVE gullible people? That they FABRICATE "facts"?

Well, I never.

I suppose now you're gonna claim he's not really a man of science, just because he got caught. But what about all the others who DIDN'T get caught yet? And probably never will?

Cheers! :beers:

Anonymous
06-24-2014, 08:20 PM
John Oliver needs to be less hysterical. He's not funny when he's excited.

Nitro Express
06-24-2014, 08:23 PM
The supplement works great if you eat 200 calories a day and run your ass off.

Seshmeister
06-24-2014, 08:30 PM
Wait, did you just post a video exposing a man of science as a fraud?

You mean, these people can actually not only be wrong, but wilfully DECEIVE gullible people? That they FABRICATE "facts"?

Well, I never.

I suppose now you're gonna claim he's not really a man of science, just because he got caught. But what about all the others who DIDN'T get caught yet? And probably never will?

Straw Man alert! :)

Of course there are crook scientists but I trust the scientific method and peer review works pretty well and is a hell of a lot better than anything else we have.

I think Oz is a medical doctor more than a scientist.

I've been posting against supplements for a couple of years now because I found out to my surprise that the scientific papers were all coming out saying at best they did nothing for you. Oz will know this too.

I used to take multivitamins myself a few years ago.

Satan
06-24-2014, 08:39 PM
The few times I've seen Dr Oz's show it seems like he was discussing one natural supplement or another for various health issues. From what I remember, he never suggested that anybody should use the supplements as a replacement for a proper diet, exercize, regular medical checkups, etc.

If I remember correctly, he's a cardiac surgeon, so he's probably not going to endorse anything that would make your heart explode. The green coffee beans probably do help with weight loss, because there's caffeine in them, so like any stimulant it would kick up the metabolism a little. It's certainly not going to turn somebody who weighs 666 pounds into a supermodel, obviously.

Seshmeister
06-24-2014, 08:59 PM
I think the second half of the bit is the more important one though showing the big business $34 billion that is supplements and how they have bought your politicians. Since they aren't properly regulated it's like buying drugs from a corner drug dealer, half the time the ingredients aren't what is claimed on the packaging. Fortunately this isn't as dangerous as it could be because most of this stuff has no effect one way or the other.

If for example, you buy high dose vitamin C pills like I used to thinking it will help fight or prevent a cold all that happens is that you piss it out and a big company makes a bit of cash from you.

Satan
06-24-2014, 09:14 PM
Of course there is such thing as "too much of a good thing". Vitamin C is water soluble, which means you're literally pissing it away if you take too much of it. Probably wouldn't actually hurt you, but it wouldn't help much either, as it's not going to stay in your body for very long. This applies to B vitamins as well. I will say that one day in the Summer of 1988 I had one of the worst fucking colds of my life - and summer colds just seem that much more miserable than the usual kind. It was the weekend, so I did what I usually did on the weekends then, which was to get completely shitfaced. Only I opted for the vodka & orange juice instead of the beer this time.

Woke up the next morning with a very slight hangover, but no cold! Might have been the vitamin C. Might have been the vodka. Possibly a combination of the two. It was effective in any case. :beers:

Seshmeister
06-24-2014, 09:17 PM
My money is on the vodka... :)

ELVIS
06-24-2014, 09:41 PM
At least you and the liquor store will be happy, for a season...

Seshmeister
06-24-2014, 10:48 PM
http://infowarshealth.com/

But wait a moment Alex Jones is largely funded by supplements an industry worth $34 billion a year which pays politicians so that it isn't regulated.

If Alex is selling horseshit snake oil like Imortalium®, with laughable magical claims like it combines the most effective anti-aging nutrients in a bi-layered tablet that supports anti-aging by improving telomere health. where does that leave you?

Even worse it's not just snake oil it's super over priced snake oil.

http://www.lazymanandmoney.com/youngevity-scam/

We know they have you very confused on a number of issues but I genuinely hope they haven't conned you out of money.

Seshmeister
06-24-2014, 11:18 PM
Here's a good example from that big list of shit that Jones is selling for his friends at Youngetivity.

https://youngevityshopping.com/images/products/51.jpg

Ultimate Selenium 90 Capsules
$25.50

Selenium is one of the most documented and widely studied trace elements known. Numerous studies have shown its importance to the body.*

Notice the *, we'll come back to that,

First up the price, he is selling 90 100mcg tablet of Selenium at $25.50.

A quick google and you'll find you can buy 100 200mcg Selenium tablets online from Wal Mart for just $5.97.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nature-39-s-Way-Selenium-200-mcg-100-Capsules/24817760

But much worse than just conning people out of money Selenium doesn't help you anyway in fact if you get unlucky it can give you cancer which is why on the InfoWars site they have the *. Look to the bottom of the page for this nice little disclaimer.

Prop. 65 WARNING: These product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Looking at the the literature about Selenium I wouldn't touch it with yours.
http://www.webmd.com/prostate-cancer/news/20140221/vitamin-e-selenium-supplements-might-double-chances-of-prostate-cancer

So basically Alex Jones is selling pills with a 500% markup falsely claiming they have special properties when they actually have the exact opposite effect. Most people think he's a joke but he's actually a cunt!

Pretty fucking morally repugnant on every level.

Satan
06-24-2014, 11:34 PM
You would have to be fucking crazy to buy supplements at WalMart. You KNOW their shit is made in China. Amd if there's anybody that's likely to put useless fillers in the capsules, instead of the herb that's mentioned on the label, it would be them.

As for Selenium, it seems to be harmless in moderation according to the NIH. But they also claim that most people will get all the selenium they need from a healthy balanced diet, and don't need it in supplemental form.

Too much selenium does sound kinda nasty though......

Health Risks from Excessive Selenium

Chronically high intakes of the organic and inorganic forms of selenium have similar effects [6]. Early indicators of excess intake are a garlic odor in the breath and a metallic taste in the mouth. The most common clinical signs of chronically high selenium intakes, or selenosis, are hair and nail loss or brittleness. Other symptoms include lesions of the skin and nervous system, nausea, diarrhea, skin rashes, mottled teeth, fatigue, irritability, and nervous system abnormalities.

As discussed earlier, Brazil nuts contain very high amounts of selenium (68–91 mcg per nut) and could cause selenium toxicity if consumed regularly. Acute selenium toxicity has resulted from the ingestion of misformulated over-the-counter products containing very large amounts of selenium [2,5]. In 2008, for example, 201 people experienced severe adverse reactions from taking a liquid dietary supplement containing 200 times the labeled amount [65]. Acute selenium toxicity can cause severe gastrointestinal and neurological symptoms, acute respiratory distress syndrome, myocardial infarction, hair loss, muscle tenderness, tremors, lightheadedness, facial flushing, kidney failure, cardiac failure, and, in rare cases, death [2,6].

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Selenium-HealthProfessional/

Never really liked Brazil nuts anyway. Always hated that they came in those old cans of mixed nuts and you were stuck with them anyway. Thank all that's unholy for Trader Joes.... much better selection of nut mixes,

cadaverdog
06-25-2014, 02:35 AM
Thank all that's unholy for Trader Joes.... much better selection of nut mixes,
Sounds like this place. A bunch of mixed nuts.

Anonymous
06-25-2014, 06:16 AM
Straw Man alert! :)

Of course there are crook scientists but I trust the scientific method and peer review works pretty well and is a hell of a lot better than anything else we have.

I think Oz is a medical doctor more than a scientist.

I've been posting against supplements for a couple of years now because I found out to my surprise that the scientific papers were all coming out saying at best they did nothing for you. Oz will know this too.

I used to take multivitamins myself a few years ago.

Well, medical science is also a science.

Who's to say that in a few years time, scientific papers won't all come out saying how they were wrong about some of the things that are "set in stone" nowadays?

No, this is not a crack at global warming/climate change. You see? Just because YOU are so suspicious, I had to bring it up in THIS thread as well. Oh man, Donnie's gonna be pissed. And not the good pissed, either. The BAD pissed. And he's got guns, you know?

Anyways, I'm always curious as to what scientists will discover next, but tend to disregard it afterwards, if it's not of immediate daily use.

I trust the scientific method and peer review works pretty well and is a hell of a lot better than anything else we have.

The second part of that sentence, which I underlined for everyone's convenience, may very well be the smartest thing you've ever posted in these boreds.

I guess it'll have to do, until something better comes along...

Anonymous
06-25-2014, 06:20 AM
The few times I've seen Dr Oz's show it seems like he was discussing one natural supplement or another for various health issues. From what I remember, he never suggested that anybody should use the supplements as a replacement for a proper diet, exercize, regular medical checkups, etc.

If I remember correctly, he's a cardiac surgeon, so he's probably not going to endorse anything that would make your heart explode. The green coffee beans probably do help with weight loss, because there's caffeine in them, so like any stimulant it would kick up the metabolism a little. It's certainly not going to turn somebody who weighs 666 pounds into a supermodel, obviously.

Ok, Sesh was right to post that video. Every bit helps to expose that man.

Oliver's right - Dr. Oz is so likeable, even Satan is making excuses for the guy.

Gets your fires going, eh S?

I bet you'd love to get him in YOUR "hot seat". *nudge nudge* FWOAHR! *wolf whistle*

Anonymous
06-25-2014, 06:27 AM
Woke up the next morning with a very slight hangover, but no cold! Might have been the vitamin C. Might have been the vodka. Possibly a combination of the two. It was effective in any case. :beers:

My money is on the vodka... :)

Pretty much. The way I deal with colds is, as soon as I feel one coming on, I eat well, have a hot bath, drink lots of coffee & pour the brandy at my discretion. The next day, it's gone.

Haven't had a cold in years. No medication whatsoever.

I do have the aftermaths of the cold for a few days, clogged nose, my voice sounds like I do have a cold, but none of the symptoms. In fact, I feel grate the day after my treatment. Absolutely none of the pain & miserableness that turns you into a religious person out of sheer desperation. Oy vey!

Kristy
06-25-2014, 12:31 PM
have a hot bath...

Amazing.

ELVIS
06-25-2014, 12:38 PM
I don't get colds or any of that crap...

ELVIS
06-25-2014, 12:39 PM
I think I'll go take my selenium, BTW...

Seshmeister
06-25-2014, 12:41 PM
Remember to take some lithium while you're at it. :biggrin:

ELVIS
06-25-2014, 12:45 PM
Of course I will...

Lithium is a necessary trace mineral...

It helps with mood control, as you are referring...;)

Satan
06-25-2014, 12:52 PM
Light my candles in a daze, 'cause I've found God.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdyKAFfpw0U

Kristy
06-25-2014, 02:36 PM
I don't get colds or any of that crap...

I'm not surprised. Since you don't work.

Kristy
06-25-2014, 02:40 PM
Pretty fucking morally repugnant on every level.

Jone$ is a carnival barker who needs a sideshow gimmick. So strange he pushes products that claim to lose weight but seems get F A T T E R himself by the day not just in his gut but by the wallet as well. As long as he has disenfranchised prey like Dumbellvis to leach off of it's unfortunate he's not going away any time soon.

Nitro Express
06-25-2014, 02:46 PM
Alex Jewns is the Chaim Witz of the conspiracy world.

DONNIEP
06-25-2014, 02:49 PM
Since we're all Jonesing in here...I've tried listening to his radio show or podcast or whatever the hell you call it and I'd get a couple minutes of talk and then a bunch of ads.

ELVIS
06-25-2014, 03:13 PM
That's not true...

DONNIEP
06-25-2014, 03:18 PM
That's not true...

Well then I'm doing something wrong. And believe me - as crazy as I am I want to hear the dude's show.

Satan
06-25-2014, 03:18 PM
Of course it's true. But that's true of talk radio in general...... You get 7 minutes of actual content at a time, followed by 4 minutes of commericals at the :15 and :45 and 8 minutes at the top and bottom of the hours.

Progressive Voices (http://progressivevoices.com/) manages to subsitute other content for most of the commercials, which makes it a little better.... except for when their computer fucks up the sequencing and they cut into the actual programs. But it still beats commercials.

Anonymous
06-25-2014, 03:53 PM
Amazing.

I'm a very clean arsehole. Huh... you know what I mean.

We should have a bubble bath together. I'd have a drink, you'd space out with your weed... I'd have plenty of raw, animalistic sex, you'd ask "is it in yet"?... good fun would be had by all.

Kristy
06-25-2014, 03:56 PM
That's not true...

What a well thought out and academic answer.

ELVIS
06-25-2014, 04:10 PM
What a well thought out and academic answer.

I have no need nor desire to dazzle people like you with wordiness...

ELVIS
06-25-2014, 04:14 PM
And believe me - as crazy as I am I want to hear the dude's show.

Listen at Infowars.com (http://www.infowars.com)

Click the red Listen Now...

It has far fewer ads than terrestrial radio and the show free stream repeats every three hours...

The app is free as well...

:elvis:

DONNIEP
06-25-2014, 04:16 PM

It has far fewer ads than terrestrial radio and the show free stream repeats every three hours...

Got it. I'm gonna check it out after I get back from the Walmart!

Satan
06-25-2014, 04:16 PM

and includes the NSA tracking cookies at no extra charge!

ELVIS
06-25-2014, 04:17 PM
Who cares...

Everything you do is being tracked...

Track this...

:mad2:

vandeleur
06-25-2014, 04:22 PM
I thought you cared , is that not bad ?

Kristy
06-25-2014, 04:24 PM

No wonder you can't fill out a job application.

Kristy
06-25-2014, 04:32 PM
Got it. I'm gonna check it out after I get back from the Walmart!

True story: Last Monday my neighbor had her car in the shop so she had asked to pick her up from work which, who the fuck cares, right?

Then she said, "Hey, can we stop off at Walmart on the way home?"

Of course I panicked. But I did agree according to the term that there is no pig-friggin' way I'm going inside. So while I waited outside for 20 minutes while she was buying her allotment of Chinese made shit I observed your kind in the parking lot. Are there ever some F A T fucks who shop at Walmart!!! American white trash personified. I mean, fuck-ugly white trash girls who look like they are headed towards the Type II diabetes F A T farm; parents with missing teeth, sons with cargo shorts eating Twix bars before they get back to the car. And the gawd awful incalculable amount of sugar products! Candy, Pepsi, more Pepsi, high-caloric cereal and loads of toilet paper to wipe their F A T asses with when done.

This is exact why we can't be friends, Donnie.

Kristy
06-25-2014, 04:40 PM
The Donnie tribe:

...and of course, part 2:

@2:38 of part 1 you can see Donnie himself!!!

ELVIS
06-25-2014, 04:40 PM
Here's the pages of the gospel of Krusty...

Page Zero) Get High all day

Page 1) Get a Job

Page 1.5) Get some roommates

Page 2) Get a social worker

Page 3) Get a counselor

Page 4) Buy Government Motors, overpriced, rental quality transportation

Page 5) Act trendy

Page 6) Get laid

PETE'S BROTHER
06-25-2014, 04:42 PM
True story: Last Monday my neighbor had her car in the shop so she had asked to pick her up from work which, who the fuck cares, right?

Of course I panicked. But I did agree according to the term that there is no pig-friggin' way I'm going inside. So while I waited outside for 20 minutes while she was buying her allotment of Chinese made shit I observed your kind in the parking lot. Are there ever some F A T fucks who shop at Walmart!!! American white trash personified. I mean, fuck-ugly white trash girls who look like they are headed towards the Type II diabetes F A T farm; parents with missing teeth, sons with cargo shorts eating Twix bars before they get back to the car. And the gawd awful incalculable amount of sugar products! Candy, Pepsi, more Pepsi, high-caloric cereal and loads of toilet paper to wipe their F A T asses with when done.

he ain't lookin' for a friend...

he doesn't even check for kickstands now

ELVIS
06-25-2014, 04:43 PM
Oh...

Page 7) Laugh at other people

Kristy
06-25-2014, 04:44 PM
Oh how sweet, Dumbellvis tried to be funny.

Kristy
06-25-2014, 04:48 PM
he ain't lookin' for a friend...

Must be a Packers fan. Packers fans have no friends.

hambon4lif
06-25-2014, 04:53 PM
he ain't lookin' for a friend...It's better for him if he doesn't. His choices in friends are questionable at best.

He's like one of those kids that bring sick 3-legged animals home all the time.

DONNIEP
06-25-2014, 05:43 PM

You shoulda seen the whale I was behind in the line this afternoon. Bitch was big as a Buick and playing the Put This Back game with her food stamps. I may have to finally give up the Walmart.

Satan
06-25-2014, 06:29 PM
Here's the pages of the gospel of Krusty...

Page Zero) Get High all day

Page 1) Get a Job

Page 1.5) Get some roommates

Page 2) Get a social worker

Page 3) Get a counselor

Page 4) Buy Government Motors, overpriced, rental quality transportation

Page 5) Act trendy

Page 6) Get laid

Page 7) LED ZEPPELIN FUCKING RULES!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlNhD0oS5pk

Kristy
06-25-2014, 07:25 PM
The only true musician in that band played the same bass pretty much throughout his dismal career in Schelplin (@2:35)

Anonymous
06-26-2014, 08:45 AM
The chicks on the screencap of the video look really cute, especially the blond with the banana. I bet they still have most of their teeth, as well. Or some, at any rate.

Are you trying to tell me that you never fantasized about adorning your lovely cooch with a banana while at Walmart?

I don't believe you.

Kristy
06-26-2014, 10:30 AM
Naw, not with a Walmart/GMO banana.

Nitro Express
06-26-2014, 10:49 AM
If I were president I would make an executive order to have prod boys in Walmart parking lots. If you are overweight the prod boys will have orders to come after you and prod your fat ass with a cattle prod. This will give the fatsos motivation to run and get some exercise. Since they seem to go to Walmart all the time they will get exercise on a regular basis. Bill Gate's GMO bananas will make sure the annoying trash don't live too long. They will come down with cancer and the criminals in the medical industry can make some money before the funeral home gets their taste of the gig.

Nitro Express
06-26-2014, 10:59 AM
http://naz.is/call-into-bob-mcelroy-ft-ap-hill/

A guy that sounds like Butthead investigates Alex Jones claims about the Ft. AP Hill army base.

Anonymous
06-26-2014, 12:00 PM
Naw, not with a Walmart/GMO banana.

Ah, I see I am in the presence of a discerning cooch.

Only the best natural products.

My apologies, Miss. You ARE a classy lady. :yo:

Do Walmart bananas come from China, by the way? Donnie, do you know the answer to that?

Nitro Express
06-26-2014, 12:06 PM
Is Chinese cooch organic?

Anonymous
06-26-2014, 12:14 PM
Is Chinese cooch organic?

I dunno, but I ain't bettin'. There's alot of fake goods comin' from China, lately.

I know that trannies are GMO, but they seem to come mainly from Brazil & Thailand. Well, the top shelf quality, anyway. The ones from the US look like men in drag with boobs bolted on. Or so they say, I wouldn't know.

Kristy
06-26-2014, 12:17 PM
Do Walmart bananas come from China, by the way?

No. They come from a terrorist organization in Colombia who kill their own.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/17615143/ns/business-us_business/t/chiquita-admits-paying-colombia-terrorists/

Anonymous
06-26-2014, 12:22 PM
They kill each other over bananas?????

I thought nothing surprised me anymore. I'm sad to say I was wrong.

So, that's why I haven't seen any Chiquitas for a while. Bananas, I mean.

It's a pity. They were the best. Probably got their flavour from their trees feeding from all the blood seeping into the soil. Yum.

Nickdfresh
06-26-2014, 09:05 PM

That's probably a good thing since you have the vocabulary of a three-year-old...

Nickdfresh
06-26-2014, 09:07 PM
Ok, Sesh was right to post that video. Every bit helps to expose that man.

Oliver's right - Dr. Oz is so likeable, even Satan is making excuses for the guy.

I've seen maybe 15 minutes of the guy's show total, and thought of him as a smarmy, disingenuous cunt even before he starting whoring vitamins like porn cumshots on his set...

ELVIS
06-27-2014, 10:51 AM
That's probably a good thing since you have the vocabulary of a three-year-old...

That's only for when I talk to you...

Kristy
06-27-2014, 11:00 AM
Wow. You just proved his point, Dumbellvis.

ELVIS
06-27-2014, 11:44 AM
That you're both big babies ??

Wow...

Nickdfresh
06-28-2014, 09:28 PM
That you're both big babies ??

Wow...

We'll keep that in mind the next time you PM webbies and ask them to make posters stop picking on you...

Nitro Express
06-28-2014, 09:51 PM
This guy needs to be selling penis enhancement supplements while he's wondering around. It's an ancient Chinese formula that was only available to the emperor. Part of the ingredients are derived from an asteroid that has special enzymes from the plieades system contained within.

ELVIS
06-28-2014, 09:52 PM
We'll keep that in mind the next time you PM webbies and ask them to make posters stop picking on you...

Like I've ever done that, queer...

Kristy
06-29-2014, 08:59 AM
PM from Vaughn last October:

Elvis

Why you gotta pick on poor ole Elvis?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Vaughn

Cry baby.

Get a job.

ELVIS
06-29-2014, 05:00 PM
So, when is the next Satanic Mass in your area ??

Satan
06-29-2014, 05:19 PM
So, when is the next Satanic Mass in your area ??

Why? Are you volunteering to be the sacrifice?

Nickdfresh
06-29-2014, 11:04 PM
Like I've ever done that, queer...

I bet you did do that queer...