PDA

View Full Version : Nigerian atheist Bala 'deemed mentally ill in Kano state'

Seshmeister
06-25-2014, 08:56 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-28010234

Nigeria atheist Bala 'deemed mentally ill in Kano state'

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/75811000/jpg/_75811482_75811475.jpg

A Nigerian man has been sent to a mental institute in Kano state after he declared that he did not believe in God, according to a humanist charity.

Mubarak Bala, 29, is said to have been forcibly medicated by his Muslim relatives, despite being given a clean bill of health by a doctor.

The International Humanist and Ethical Union say a Lagos-based group has asked a lawyer to take up his case.

Kano is a mainly Muslim state and adopted Sharia (Islamic law) in 2000.

The IHEU says that when Mr Bala told relatives he did not believe in God, they asked a doctor if he was mentally ill.

Despite being told that he was not unwell, Mr Bala's family then went to a second doctor, who declared that his atheism was a side-effect of suffering a personality change, the group says.

Mr Bala, a chemical engineering graduate, was forcibly committed to a mental institution, but was able to contact activists using a smuggled phone.

IHEU spokesman Bob Churchill said the group was concerned about his "deteriorating condition" and called for his "swift release".

Anonymous
06-25-2014, 09:20 AM
One thing I don't get about atheists.

You guys profess not to believe in Gods, yet you treat religions as equal to your beliefs.

By doing so, you justify them. It's like you just want to spend hours on pointless debates, pretending you're intellectually superior to those who do believe in Gods. Wait, that IS it.

You're all very silly, really. I'd feel very stupid if I went 'round telling people Mickey Mouse isn't really real, so why would I do the same about Gods?

Atheists are the gays of religion. They have to run around telling people how gay they are.

I would, & have, berated friends or family in private conversation when they're being silly about God or Jesus, or whatever. But even then, I choose when it's worth it, or not. My elderly, crazy, horrible, very religious aunt is a hopeless case, for example. Why would I argue with her? Let the crazy bat think she's going to heaven, in spite of all the horrible things she did.

My point is, that dude should've shut the fuck up. When you argue with crazy people, you're only validating their opinion.

Cheers! :beers:

Seshmeister
06-25-2014, 09:28 AM
He wasn't campaigning, it was his family that got him committed. Maybe they asked why he wasn't going to the mosque.

Seshmeister
06-25-2014, 09:31 AM
Funny you mention gays, in the North of Nigeria the punishment for that is death by stoning.

Anonymous
06-25-2014, 09:40 AM
Well, he should know his own family, like I know my own crazy aunt.

That said, my point still stands. My niece wanted to be baptised because her friend at school was being baptised & you know how kids are, monkey see, monkey do. I wholeheartedly agreed, because of two reasons:

Primo, why not? Censoring her would only make her look at the whole thing like a forbidden fruit. Irony is rarely lost on me, so let her do it. The motive was innocent enough.

Secundo, in my country, to be her Godfather, I would have to either simply be at her baptism, OR go through a whole ordeal of bureaucracy to achieve the same effect - in case something happens to her parents, I'm her legal guardian.

Which brings us to this dude. If I lived in a cuckoo place like that, you bet your ass I'd go to the mosque, or church, or rituals, or whatever. It'd be far easier & it wouldn't change a thing. It wouldn't betray MY beliefs, simply because I have none. Hell, who knows, they might all get together for a drink aferwards.

When my friends go some place to watch football, they invite me along for a drink. This would be no different.

Life is simple, stop fucking it up, people!

Anonymous
06-25-2014, 09:47 AM
Funny you mention gays, in the North of Nigeria the punishment for that is death by stoning.

That's completely & utterly wrong, but unless foreign powers exert their influence to change that, there's nothing gays, or you & me can do about it.

I know I must sound defeatist all the time, but look at history. And let me bring up Big Poppa Orwell again.

The reason I hold his opinion above everyone else's is that he actually lived through the whole shit he tried to warn us about. His beliefs were strong enough that he not only served his country's military in their hour of need, he took up arms against Franco, even though it had nothing to do with him. That's how much he loved his vision of justice & freedom.

What did he get? Two very successful books & then he died right after.

He could've written those at home, instead of getting shot in the throat by a Spaniard.

Wouldn't make a bit of difference.

Add to that that none of us are as smart and/or intelligent as Jojo, & there you have it. Let's just have a drink.

vandeleur
06-25-2014, 09:49 AM
Wow ima , ya big quitter :D

Anonymous
06-25-2014, 09:54 AM
Wow ima , ya big quitter :D

Alright, hold on to your beliefs & suffer for them all your life.

We'll talk again when we're Zahzoo's age & we'll compare achievements. Not professional or personal achievements, those are highly subjective, I mean true, world-changing achievements.

I have a feeling it'll be a tie, but don't let that stop you.

I'll be here by the pool sipping on my Rum.

vandeleur
06-25-2014, 10:01 AM
You do know am batman right ? Dp told you :)

Anonymous
06-25-2014, 10:03 AM
Besides, if none of us had these silly beliefs, we'd all get along much better.

It'd take personal insult to start an altercation & that would be just between the two people involved, not a large scale war.

There wouldn't be hatred for someone just because he's a Wetback or a Towelhead, even though they never did anything to you personally.

That's because without silly beliefs, there'd be NO Wetbacks or Towelheads. No patriotism, no religion, nothing.

Hell, we probably wouldn't even need leaders. Just respect your neighbour's property & don't give a shit.

If you guys want to keep fighting for your values, go ahead. I'll be here being a loser. :thumb:

twonabomber
06-25-2014, 10:04 AM
was able to contact activists using a smuggled phone.

Don't use that phone, you don't know where that phone has been!

Anonymous
06-25-2014, 10:09 AM
You do know am batman right ? Dp told you :)

I somehow doubt Batman would be a Geordie. And he'd probably be a better speller, being the world's gratest detective mind & all. :lol:

Unless this is all just a clever ruse... hmmm...

DONNIEP
06-25-2014, 10:11 AM
there'd be NO Wetbacks or Towelheads

I'll take one ticket to Honkey City, please.

Anonymous
06-25-2014, 10:18 AM
I'll take one ticket to Honkey City, please.

No honkeys, either.

In fact, if there were no beliefs, racial prejudices wouldn't've been an issue, & we'd all probably be a weird race of light brown, olive-tinted, slanty-eyed cholos by now, dudester. What with all the mixing & stirring going on.

Basically, this is my take on life - if you believe something, you're part of the problem. Your views will inevitably clash with someone else's & who's going to be man enough to admit they might be wrong? Noone & the ride starts again.

vandeleur
06-25-2014, 10:23 AM
I somehow doubt Batman would be a Geordie. And he'd probably be a better speller, being the world's gratest detective mind & all. :lol:

Unless this is all just a clever ruse... hmmm...

Speller ??

And sorry it's am actually why aye man ( Geordie joke )

Anonymous
06-25-2014, 10:23 AM
Hey, I think I just solved all the world's problems by not giving a shit.

Too bad noone's gonna listen to me & everybody'll keep on believing their beliefs are more important than someone else's.

Anonymous
06-25-2014, 10:26 AM
Speller ??

Yes, caster of spells. A magician, if you will.

And sorry it's am actually why aye man ( Geordie joke )

Uh... ok...

What? I can understand Thai Ladyboys better than this guy! :doh:

vandeleur
06-25-2014, 10:26 AM
No honkeys, either.

In fact, if there were no beliefs, racial prejudices wouldn't've been an issue, & we'd all probably be a weird race of light brown, olive-tinted, slanty-eyed cholos by now, dudester. What with all the mixing & stirring going on.

Basically, this is my take on life - if you believe something, you're part of the problem. Your views will inevitably clash with someone else's & who's going to be man enough to admit they might be wrong? Noone & the ride starts again.

I nearly get what your saying but your casual geordism is off putting .
I am wary of anyone who is forceful of their opinion even if it's right .
But I do hold to this one true truism .

It's the internet and your meant to talk shite :)

vandeleur
06-25-2014, 10:28 AM
yes, caster of spells. A magician, if you will.

Uh... Ok...

What? I can understand thai ladyboys better than this guy! :doh:

Bollox I need a beer :)

Anonymous
06-25-2014, 10:31 AM
I nearly get what your saying but your casual geordism is off putting .
I am wary of anyone who is forceful of their opinion even if it's right .
But I do hold to this one true truism .

It's the internet and your meant to talk shite :)

Oh, I hope I didn't come across as trying to force my opinion on anyone. I'm just chatting to pass the time at work & I honestly don't believe anyone will change their outlook on life just because I'm professing my "don't give a shit" views.

In fact, I don't give a shit if they do. I'm happy this way, but other people seem to have this disconcerting need to find a reason for being here, thus setting them up to search for a belief.

In other words, it'll never work. Not that I give a shit. :)

DONNIEP
06-25-2014, 10:36 AM
Ah, I'm already a nice brown color, so I'll fit right in to Izzy's Eutopia. But I still want to call it Honkey City.

Anonymous
06-25-2014, 10:36 AM
Bollox I need a beer :)

Well, I hear you on that. Fuck this shit, as Bon Scott used to sing, "bring on the tranny girls & the champagne on ice"!

Or beer, as may be the case.

vandeleur
06-25-2014, 10:38 AM
In izzy's pic he is darker coloured than I thought he would be but his tache and teeth are about right :)

PETE'S BROTHER
06-25-2014, 10:39 AM
In izzy's pic he is darker coloured than I thought he would be but his tache and teeth are about right :)

you've seen his tache?

vandeleur
06-25-2014, 10:40 AM
Sin city is a proper drinking record

Anonymous
06-25-2014, 10:41 AM
you've seen his tache?

He's Geordian. They talk funny. :gossip:

Anonymous
06-25-2014, 10:42 AM
Sin city is a proper drinking record

I wore out my Powerage CD. No joke. It started to fall apart.

vandeleur
06-25-2014, 10:43 AM
I might be showing my age even Calling it a record :)

Anonymous
06-25-2014, 10:53 AM
I might be showing my age even Calling it a record :)

Don't worry, we already knew you're an old fart.

vandeleur
06-25-2014, 10:56 AM
I might be old but ..... Yeah , fuck off :D

Satan
06-25-2014, 11:06 AM
Don't use that phone, you don't know where that phone has been!

Well, he had to use the phone, because who the Hell is going to read an email from a Nigerian? My spam filter automatically catches those.

ELVIS
06-25-2014, 11:31 AM
Let the crazy bat think she's going to heaven, in spite of all the horrible things she did.

We've all done horrible things...

There is wickedness and selfishness in all of us..

Were hateful and wrong, and full of darkness...

This is what we need to reconcile with God...

And maybe your Aunt has done just that...

Nitro Express
06-25-2014, 11:33 AM
Besides, if none of us had these silly beliefs, we'd all get along much better.

It'd take personal insult to start an altercation & that would be just between the two people involved, not a large scale war.

There wouldn't be hatred for someone just because he's a Wetback or a Towelhead, even though they never did anything to you personally.

That's because without silly beliefs, there'd be NO Wetbacks or Towelheads. No patriotism, no religion, nothing.

Hell, we probably wouldn't even need leaders. Just respect your neighbour's property & don't give a shit.

If you guys want to keep fighting for your values, go ahead. I'll be here being a loser. :thumb:

The key to life is to be the man behind the curtain. Political parties, religions, hell even sports teams can be used to divide and conquer the dolts who have blind loyalty to such things. Make no mistake. The people pushing certain races into power are prejudice themselves but it's fun to put someone like Barry Soetoro into power and watch the chaos. His manipulated brainwashed ass will run the ball down the field a little further for you until he gets tackled and that's fun to watch too because you really can't stand the asshole.

Then the key is to have opposition ready to go. Ready to step in and save the day. Ready to bring the new change that Barry promised. Then you skull fuck the dumb masses some more and run that ball further down the field. All the while Democrats and Republicans are naive to think their organizations actually care about the average guy.

It's all about using people's greed and gullibility against them. Adults still believe in Santa Clause. Why? It makes them feel better.

ELVIS
06-25-2014, 11:35 AM
but was able to contact activists using a smuggled phone.

Hey Seshticle...

Put down the vodka and pick up the phone, it's Mubarak again...

ELVIS
06-25-2014, 11:39 AM
The key to life is to be the man behind the curtain.

What ??

There's no man behind my curtain...

The key to life is prayer...

Nitro Express
06-25-2014, 11:39 AM
I'm Lucifer. I'm going to exploit the white guilt in this country to the max and use that powerful emotion to persuade the dumb honkeys to give everything to me to sooth their guilt complex. Oh I will say it will go towards helping minorities but I will just throw them under the bus when they are no longer useful to me.

Nitro Express
06-25-2014, 11:41 AM
What ??

There's no man behind my curtain...

The key to life is prayer...

There is no man behind the curtain? You need to get out more. Better yet. Start your own religion and you will soon see what I'm getting at. Prayer is good. It makes people feel good and safe while you rob them blind.

Satan
06-25-2014, 11:42 AM
I'm Lucifer. I'm going to exploit the white guilt in this country to the max and use that powerful emotion to persuade the dumb honkeys to give everything to me to sooth their guilt complex. Oh I will say it will go towards helping minorities but I will just throw them under the bus when they are no longer useful to me.

Geezus.... now I'm being blamed for trying to end racism??

Nitro Express
06-25-2014, 11:43 AM
Religion. Political parties. Even environmental crusades. All good to manipulate dolts into doing what you want. In fact, start a couple of these things and have your fun. Jesus was right. People are sheep.

ELVIS
06-25-2014, 11:43 AM
Yeah, Lucifer is the spirit in the man behind the curtain...

He doesn't bother me much anymore because he knows I'm aware of the power I have over him...

He flees when I tell him to in the name of Jesus Christ...

Satan
06-25-2014, 11:44 AM

He' doesn't bother me much anymore because he knows I have power over him...

Nope. Still here! :devildance:

ELVIS
06-25-2014, 11:45 AM
Jesus was right. People are sheep.

That's why he said Forgive them Father, they know not what they do...

Nitro Express
06-25-2014, 11:45 AM
Geezus.... now I'm being blamed for trying to end racism??

Ha! ha! You aren't ending anything. In fact, make one race benefit off the generosity of another and then manipulate the race that benefitted into spitting on the race that was generous. Step back and watch the fireworks. Oh and loan some money at high interest and sell some weapons while you are at it. Who says life is boring?

ELVIS
06-25-2014, 11:46 AM
Nope. Still here! :devildance:

No, you're a FROD...;)

Anonymous
06-25-2014, 11:47 AM
We've all done horrible things...

There is wickedness and selfishness in all of us..

Were hateful and wrong, and full of darkness...

This is what we need to reconcile with God...

And maybe your Aunt has done just that...

Nah, last time I saw her, she was still spewing venom.

ELVIS
06-25-2014, 11:48 AM
Well...

Never say never...;)

Nitro Express
That's why he said Forgive them Father, they know not what they do...

That was then. Or the Council of Nicea added it in to make followers of the bible passive. Add in the "Rapture" concept and you have a bunch of smug sit around dolts who don't think they have to do anything because God is going to do it all for them. Then your roll their asses.

Satan
And I'm not the man behind the curtain. I'm the man in the mirror......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PivWY9wn5ps

Seshmeister
06-25-2014, 11:50 AM
That's completely & utterly wrong, but unless foreign powers exert their influence to change that, there's nothing gays, or you & me can do about it.:

Foreign powers react to public opinion and the US is doing just that.
http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2014/06/23/uganda-feels-pain-after-us-anti-gay-sanctions/

My guess is that many of the people that read these forums wouldn't know that Nigeria has one of the most whack job superstition based governments in the world.

vandeleur
06-25-2014, 11:52 AM
That was then. Or the Council of Nicea added it in to make followers of the bible passive. Add in the "Rapture" concept and you have a bunch of smug sit around dolts who don't think they have to do anything because God is going to do it all for them. Then your roll their asses.

" a method of social control" is the phrase :)

DONNIEP
06-25-2014, 11:52 AM
And I'm not the man behind the curtain. I'm the man in the mirror......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PivWY9wn5ps

This song sucks balls.

DONNIEP
06-25-2014, 11:53 AM
I just have one thing to say: S******

vandeleur
06-25-2014, 11:54 AM
This song sucks balls.

I fucking hate it

ELVIS
06-25-2014, 11:55 AM

I'm not waiting for any rapture...

I'm trying to start brushfires in the hearts and minds of men in the name of truth and liberty and spirit...

There is no "then" in God's word...

Jesus Christ the same yesterday and today and for the ages...

Nitro Express

He doesn't bother me much anymore because he knows I'm aware of the power I have over him...

Lucifer has more money and guns than you do. Jesus said,"Fuck it! I'm outta here!" Actually if you read the Book of Revelations it sounds like Jesus is going to serve his dish cold." Or he might just say the best revenge is living well and so while he's up there creating more galaxies and screwing goddesses he might just be saying "Enjoy the climate change mother fuckers!"

Anonymous
Foreign powers react to public opinion and the US is doing just that.
http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2014/06/23/uganda-feels-pain-after-us-anti-gay-sanctions/

My guess is that many of the people that read these forums wouldn't know that Nigeria has one of the most whack job superstition based governments in the world.

No, foreign powers have interest in some country, put the information on public channels to inflame public opinion & pretend to react based on that.

Stop being naive, Sesh. You're not 15 anymore, man.

Satan
06-25-2014, 11:59 AM
Actually, it was one of his more tolerable songs, because it wasn't disco crap.

BTW, Michael joined us here in Hell exactly 5 years ago today. Time flies, don't it?

A toast to the former "king of pop (and boy touching)" :gulp:

ELVIS
06-25-2014, 11:59 AM
Yeah, let's topple more governments in the name of humanity...:rolleyes:

Nitro Express
06-25-2014, 12:00 PM
Africa. Nothing new. It's been robbed and raped by honkey oligarchs and their darkie house boys for a long time. Now instead of just being Europeans the US is getting the taste of the gig. Hey let's change Barry's name to Barack and give him a peace prize. That will make the Africans trust him and then we can ass ream them up to the teeth. Who came up with this scam? George Sorros? It's always the fucking Hungarians man. Gene Simmons and George are always selling some form of shit.

DONNIEP
06-25-2014, 12:03 PM

BTW, Michael joined us here in Hell exactly 5 years ago today. Time flies, don't it?

I like all his disco crap stuff better than that song. Change the world, blah blah blah, be a better person, yadda yadda yadda. Screw all that. Put his white ass up on stage and make him sing Don't Stop Til You Get Enough!

Nitro Express
06-25-2014, 12:03 PM
But really. Humanity has been itching to nuke themselves and God will say, "Anyway you want it. That's the way it will be." Get ready for Cold War 2.0 with nut grabbing.

Anonymous
06-25-2014, 12:05 PM
Yeah, let's topple more governments in the name of humanity...:rolleyes:

Yeah, that WAS terribly gullible of him, wasn't it?

"Foreign powers react to public opinion and the US is doing just that." :lol:

Post of the week!

ELVIS
06-25-2014, 12:08 PM
Stop being naive, Sesh. You're not 15 anymore, man.

It's all for the planet, pus...:biggrin:

:elvis:

ELVIS
06-25-2014, 12:11 PM
OMG!!!!!

The planet is going to BOIL OVER !!!!!!!!!!!

Hahahahahahahahahah....:biggrin:

Nitro Express
As long as America still believes in "The Super President" fable. The world isn't safe. Our super president is going to bring you democracy whether you want it or not. If you thought Barry was bad, wait until our naive guilt puts an openly gay female with a hate complex into office.

vandeleur

Hard to like a tune that was played on the kiddy fiddle :)

ELVIS
06-25-2014, 12:12 PM
And you can't have a car or a house because the friggin' planet will boil over...:biggrin:

DONNIEP
06-25-2014, 12:13 PM
Hard to like a tune that was played on the kiddy fiddle :)

Finally, a post in this thread that actually makes sense!

Nitro Express
06-25-2014, 12:16 PM
And you can't have a car or a house because the friggin' planet will boil over...:biggrin:

Bring it on! I would like water front property in a warmer climate.

Anonymous
06-25-2014, 12:16 PM

I can accept Satan, a Mythological Beast, posting a Michael Jackson video about saving the Earth - I assume that was what it was, based on the subsequent posts - but a Logical Man like Sesh believing that the governments will act selflessly for the victory of democracy?

Dude! Heavy.

Nitro Express
06-25-2014, 12:20 PM

Barry tells lies while the IMF and World Bank rape Africa some more. At least he wasn't the dolt who said Guam would capsize if we put too many people on it. He's qualified to be the next US president but he lacks charisma.

Nitro Express
06-25-2014, 12:26 PM
I can accept Satan, a Mythological Beast, posting a Michael Jackson video about saving the Earth - I assume that was what it was, based on the subsequent posts - but a Logical Man like Sesh believing that the governments will act selflessly for the victory of democracy?

Dude! Heavy.

Oh yeah. Politicians always do what's in the best interest of the people. Especially when the people are stupid and banks have all the power.

Seshmeister
06-25-2014, 12:32 PM

Dude! Heavy.

It's not always directly about money, sometimes governments do things for votes.

Staying in power matters too.

ELVIS
06-25-2014, 12:33 PM
Dude! Heavy.

That's why I say Seshticle is a classic disinformation minister riding through life on the backs of the people he's helping keep dumb...

Fueled and numbed by alcohol...

:biggrin:

Seshmeister
06-25-2014, 12:34 PM
Oh yeah. Politicians always do what's in the best interest of the people. Especially when the people are stupid and banks have all the power.

That's why they always go for the easy issues where they do have some power like gay marriage, abortion or in this case cutting some aid to Nigeria.

ELVIS
06-25-2014, 12:34 PM
It's not always directly about money, sometimes governments do things for votes.

Staying in power matters too.

Look, Sesh said something on his own...

ELVIS
06-25-2014, 12:35 PM
That's why they always go for the easy issues where they do have some power like gay marriage, abortion or in this case cutting some aid to Nigeria.

All reasons they suck and have no business in these affairs...

Anonymous
06-25-2014, 12:38 PM
OMG!!!!!

The planet is going to BOIL OVER !!!!!!!!!!!

Hahahahahahahahahah....:biggrin:

He didn't say that. Did he say that? I'm not gonna listen to that at work, but I can't believe he said that.

And then what? It'll explode, but we can send a child to another planet, where the radiation will give him super-strength & the ability to jump very tall buildings? :lol:

You gotta love Barry. :yo:

ZahZoo
06-25-2014, 12:39 PM
I might be old but ..... Yeah , fuck off :D

Now that's the spirit!!

Git off my damn lawn!!

ZahZoo
06-25-2014, 12:42 PM
That's why I say Seshticle is a classic disinformation minister riding through life on the backs of the people he's helping keep dumb...

Fueled and numbed by alcohol...

:biggrin:

Seshticle..?

Them things generally come in pairs... you implying our leader here is a One Nut Wonder™..

ELVIS
06-25-2014, 12:47 PM
He didn't say that. Did he say that?

Yes he did...

Imagine the Founding Fathers hearing such childish drivel...