PDA

View Full Version : The Pitchforks Are Coming…

Oolith
06-29-2014, 01:01 PM
The Pitchforks Are Coming… For Us Plutocrats
By NICK HANAUER JULY/AUGUST 2014

You probably don’t know me, but like you I am one of those .01%ers, a proud and unapologetic capitalist. I have founded, co-founded and funded more than 30 companies across a range of industries—from itsy-bitsy ones like the night club I started in my 20s to giant ones like Amazon.com, for which I was the first nonfamily investor. Then I founded aQuantive, an Internet advertising company that was sold to Microsoft in 2007 for $6.4 billion. In cash. My friends and I own a bank. I tell you all this to demonstrate that in many ways I’m no different from you. Like you, I have a broad perspective on business and capitalism. And also like you, I have been rewarded obscenely for my success, with a life that the other 99.99 percent of Americans can’t even imagine. Multiple homes, my own plane, etc., etc. You know what I’m talking about.

Realizing that, seeing over the horizon a little faster than the next guy, was the strategic part of my success. The lucky part was that I had two friends, both immensely talented, who also saw a lot of potential in the web. One was a guy you’ve probably never heard of named Jeff Tauber, and the other was a fellow named Jeff Bezos. I was so excited by the potential of the web that I told both Jeffs that I wanted to invest in whatever they launched, big time. It just happened that the second Jeff—Bezos—called me back first to take up my investment offer. So I helped underwrite his tiny start-up bookseller.

Amazon did somewhat better. Now I own a very large yacht.

But let’s speak frankly to each other. I’m not the smartest guy you’ve ever met, or the hardest-working. I was a mediocre student. I’m not technical at all—I can’t write a word of code. What sets me apart, I think, is a tolerance for risk and an intuition about what will happen in the future. Seeing where things are headed is the essence of entrepreneurship. And what do I see in our future now?

I see pitchforks.

But the problem isn’t that we have inequality. Some inequality is intrinsic to any high-functioning capitalist economy. The problem is that inequality is at historically high levels and getting worse every day. Our country is rapidly becoming less a capitalist society and more a feudal society. Unless our policies change dramatically, the middle class will disappear, and we will be back to late 18th-century France. Before the revolution.

And so I have a message for my fellow filthy rich, for all of us who live in our gated bubble worlds: Wake up, people. It won’t last.

It’s not if, it’s when.

I know there are many of you who are convinced that because you saw a poor kid with an iPhone that one time, inequality is a fiction.

Here’s what I say to you: You’re living in a dream world. What everyone wants to believe is that when things reach a tipping point and go from being merely crappy for the masses to dangerous and socially destabilizing, that we’re somehow going to know about that shift ahead of time. Any student of history knows that’s not the way it happens.

The most ironic thing about rising inequality is how completely unnecessary and self-defeating it is.

My suggestion to you is: Let’s do it all over again. We’ve got to try something. These idiotic trickle-down policies are destroying my customer base. And yours too.

Middle-out economics rejects the old misconception that an economy is a perfectly efficient, mechanistic system and embraces the much more accurate idea of an economy as a complex ecosystem made up of real people who are dependent on one another.

a thriving middle class is the source of American prosperity, not a consequence of it.

It happened because we reminded the masses that they are the source of growth and prosperity, not us rich guys. We reminded them that when workers have more money, businesses have more customers—and need more employees. We reminded them that if businesses paid workers a living wage rather than poverty wages, taxpayers wouldn’t have to make up the difference. And when we got done, 74 percent of likely Seattle voters in a recent poll agreed that a $15 minimum wage was a swell idea.

The naysayers are just wrong.

Well, trickle-downers, look at the data here: The two cities in the nation with the highest rate of job growth by small businesses are San Francisco and Seattle. Guess which cities have the highest minimum wage? San Francisco and Seattle. The fastest-growing big city in America? Seattle. Fifteen dollars isn’t a risky untried policy for us. It’s doubling down on the strategy that’s already allowing our city to kick your city’s ass.

The most insidious thing about trickle-down economics isn’t believing that if the rich get richer, it’s good for the economy. It’s believing that if the poor get richer, it’s bad for the economy.

In order for us to have an economy that works for everyone, we should compel all retailers to pay living wages—not just ask politely.

There can never be enough super-rich Americans to power a great economy. I earn about 1,000 times the median American annually, but I don’t buy thousands of times more stuff. My family purchased three cars over the past few years, not 3,000.

So forget all that rhetoric about how America is great because of people like you and me and Steve Jobs. You know the truth even if you won’t admit it:

Republicans and Democrats in Congress can’t shrink government with wishful thinking. The only way to slash government for real is to go back to basic economic principles: You have to reduce the demand for government. If people are getting $15 an hour or more, they don’t need food stamps. They don’t need rent assistance. They don’t need you and me to pay for their medical care. If the consumer middle class is back, buying and shopping, then it stands to reason you won’t need as large a welfare state. And at the same time, revenues from payroll and sales taxes would rise, reducing the deficit.

Even the best of us, in the worst of circumstances, are barefoot, standing by a dirt road, selling fruit. We should never forget that, or forget that the United States of America and its middle class made us, rather than the other way around.

Or we could sit back, do nothing, enjoy our yachts. And wait for the pitchforks.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/06/the-pitchforks-are-coming-for-us-plutocrats-108014.html

http://images.politico.com/global/2014/06/25/lead_option21.jpg

Nitro Express
06-29-2014, 01:26 PM
Dream on. The average american today doesn't live on a farm and probably never held a pitchfork in their hands let alone own one. They might bitch against the rich but there are plenty of welfare programs to take the edge off. There is also drugs and entertainment to keep you distracted. The thing the average dolt miscalculates is how smart the elites really are. They engineered the welfare system. They run the the drugs. They own the media. You are off the farm and on food stamps because they engineered it.

Now if the food stamps are taken away or some screw up destroys the system by fate or accident, they will be safely in a highly secured location you will have no chance of getting to. Oh you might be able to drag the guy who owns a few of the local gas stations out of bed and beat him to a pulp but that accomplishes nothing.

It's all about controlling the money kids. The rest is just conversation.

Satan
06-29-2014, 01:46 PM
Pitchforks?? I'm in! :devildance:

Nitro Express
06-29-2014, 01:51 PM
Pitchforks?? I'm in! :devildance:

Do you have one? I can loan you one.

Satan
06-29-2014, 04:13 PM
I'm the Devil. I have more pitchforks than anybody.

Kristy
06-29-2014, 04:45 PM
Pitchfork Media has way more.

DONNIEP
06-29-2014, 09:03 PM
Ugh....too many words...

cadaverdog
06-29-2014, 09:17 PM
Ugh....too many words...
Here's the condensed version. I'm a rich guy and I see Anarchy in the near future if other rich guys keep getting richer while the average person gets poorer and poorer. I want to encourage other rich guys quit being so fucking greedy before these poor people take my money away from me. I don't really give a shit about the poor bastards but I want to keep what I have because I'm a greedy bastard too.

DONNIEP
06-29-2014, 09:34 PM
Here's the condensed version. I'm a rich guy and I see Anarchy in the near future if other rich guys keep getting richer while the average person gets poorer and poorer. I want to encourage other rich guys quit being so fucking greedy before these poor people take my money away from me. I don't really give a shit about the poor bastards but I want to keep what I have because I'm a greedy bastard too.

See - that's what I needed. Short and sweet.

Nitro Express
06-30-2014, 10:04 AM
I will add in rich guy is full of shit. He will denounce his US citizenship in a heartbeat to get out of paying taxes if his overseas trust no longer can hide his money.