PDA

View Full Version : 2045: The Rise of the Machines?

Nickdfresh
07-05-2014, 07:50 PM
Sat, Jul 5, 2014, 7:43pm EDT - US Markets are closed

By 2045 'The Top Species Will No Longer Be Humans,' And That Could Be A Problem
Business Insider (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/2045-physicist-says-top-species-123359838.html)
By Dylan Love 11 hours ago

"Today there's no legislation regarding how much intelligence a machine can have, how interconnected it can be. If that continues, look at the exponential trend. We will reach the singularity in the timeframe most experts predict. From that point on you're going to see that the top species will no longer be humans, but machines."
http://social.rollins.edu/wpsites/filmsofthe80s/files/2012/11/WOPR.jpg
These are the words of Louis Del Monte, physicist, entrepreneur, and author of "The Artificial Intelligence Revolution." Del Monte spoke to us over the phone about his thoughts surrounding artificial intelligence and the singularity, an indeterminate point in the future when machine intelligence will outmatch not only your own intelligence, but the world's combined human intelligence too.

The average estimate for when this will happen is 2040, though Del Monte says it might be as late as 2045. Either way, it's a timeframe of within three decades.
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130404204204/adventuretimewithfinnandjake/images/d/dc/HAL9000.jpg

"It won't be the 'Terminator' scenario, not a war," said Del Monte. "In the early part of the post-singularity world, one scenario is that the machines will seek to turn humans into cyborgs. This is nearly happening now, replacing faulty limbs with artificial parts. We'll see the machines as a useful tool. Productivity in business based on automation will be increased dramatically in various countries. In China it doubled, just based on GDP per employee due to use of machines."

"By the end of this century," he continued, "most of the human race will have become cyborgs [part human, part tech or machine]. The allure will be immortality. Machines will make breakthroughs in medical technology, most of the human race will have more leisure time, and we'll think we've never had it better. The concern I'm raising is that the machines will view us as an unpredictable and dangerous species."

Del Monte believes machines will become self-conscious and have the capabilities to protect themselves. They "might view us the same way we view harmful insects." Humans are a species that "is unstable, creates wars, has weapons to wipe out the world twice over, and makes computer viruses." Hardly an appealing roommate.

He wrote the book as "a warning." Artificial intelligence is becoming more and more capable, and we're adopting it as quickly as it appears. A pacemaker operation is "quite routine," he said, but "it uses sensors and AI to regulate your heart."

A 2009 experiment showed that robots can develop the ability to lie to each other. Run at the Laboratory of Intelligent Systems in the Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale of Lausanne, Switzerland, the experiment had robots designed to cooperate in finding beneficial resources like energy and avoiding the hazardous ones. Shockingly, the robots learned to lie to each other in an attempt to hoard the beneficial resources for themselves.
http://www.toxel.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/terminatordvd1.jpg
"The implication is that they're also learning self-preservation," Del Monte told us. "Whether or not they're conscious is a moot point."

vandeleur
07-05-2014, 07:55 PM
I like the idea of the rise of the machines ... every year they will keep threatening to fix the latest bug , will be in years of litagation against apple and finally struggle to get a 4G signal.

Nickdfresh
07-05-2014, 08:03 PM
Could be a massive war between Apples, PC's, and Androids :D

http://www.wallsave.com/wallpapers/2560x1600/matrix-movie/512453/matrix-movie-apple-inc-mac-logos-and-512453.jpg

DONNIEP
07-05-2014, 08:57 PM
Aw man, I thought this was gonna be about a new Terminator movie. A good one this time. Oh well.

Now, my iphone can do everything - it'll even let me talk to Jesus, right here. Why in the hell has no one come up with a hack that will make it talk like HAL? I mean, that ain't much to ask for. I'd pay 100 bucks for an app that would allow it to do that. Not just repeat canned lines, but replace SIRI's voice altogether.

Seshmeister
07-05-2014, 09:34 PM
He wrote the book as "a warning." Artificial intelligence is becoming more and more capable, and we're adopting it as quickly as it appears. A pacemaker operation is "quite routine," he said, but "it uses sensors and AI to regulate your heart."

Hmmm

I'm not convinced with this at all. It's all in the definition but for example Pacemakers are getting more and more sophisticated and there have been a big bunch of improvements but AI?

Not really, it's just a bunch of pre-programmed rules and human createdalgorithms. If flow to left atrium falls below a level which is less than 10% of averge trigger electric shock and so on. That's not intelligence really and it's definitely not consciousness.

vandeleur
07-05-2014, 09:42 PM
Machines are stupid , Ive seen the matrix . Humans as batteries are rubbish. They might as well put the humans on bikes and used as a generator .

Satan
07-05-2014, 09:46 PM
Look at Cheney. That worthless son of a bitch went several years without a functional heart at all. He had some computer controlled pump until he could buy some Chinese kid's heart on the black market.

And even before that there was some "concerns" at Reichland Security that a "terrorist" might get the IP addy to his pacemaker (yes it actually had wi-fi access) and hack the sick ofd fuck to death.

DONNIEP
07-05-2014, 09:52 PM
He had some computer controlled pump until he could buy some Chinese kid's heart on the black market.

You can buy anything in China!

Nickdfresh
07-05-2014, 10:02 PM
Hmmm

I'm not convinced with this at all. It's all in the definition but for example Pacemakers are getting more and more sophisticated and there have been a big bunch of improvements but AI?

Not really, it's just a bunch of pre-programmed rules and human createdalgorithms. If flow to left atrium falls below a level which is less than 10% of averge trigger electric shock and so on. That's not intelligence really and it's definitely not consciousness.

Lemme ask you this. Where were computers thirty years ago? Perhaps not a great indicator as we already had the first functional desktops. But if we go back fifty years it took computers the size of several large rooms to perform the functions that are a fraction of what an iPhone or 'Droid can do --fitting neatly in your pocket. When people like Steven Hawking speak up about this I think there has to be some real concern with the complete lack of legislation and controls in place in the race to create the biggest, baddest, newest, most powerful, etc...

I think the main one is that a supercomputer is created with human like brainpower and reasoning, but somehow becomes self-aware but doesn't exactly advertize this. The computer then goes on to rewrite it's code exponentially increasing its brain power and by the time we realize this we're fucked. Can we just unplug it? Will it install its own energy grid by threatening to destroy the one that exists as a sort of extortion? Who the fuck knows what is possible?

Nickdfresh
07-05-2014, 10:05 PM
Machines are stupid , Ive seen the matrix . Humans as batteries are rubbish. They might as well put the humans on bikes and used as a generator .

It was a silly premise. They'd just exterminate us. :)

vandeleur
07-05-2014, 10:09 PM
It was a silly premise. They'd just exterminate us. :)

or use nuclear power :)

DONNIEP
07-05-2014, 10:09 PM
I think the main one is that a supercomputer is created with human like brainpower and reasoning, but somehow becomes self-aware but doesn't exactly advertize this. The computer then goes on to rewrite it's code exponentially increasing its brain power and by the time we realize this we're fucked. Can we just unplug it? Will it install its own energy grid by threatening to destroy the one that exists as a sort of extortion? Who the fuck knows what is possible?

Two words: Judgment Day

Nickdfresh
07-05-2014, 10:10 PM
or use nuclear power :)

Right! Although I think there was something silly in the script about denying them the necessary uranium or whatever during "the war"...

Seshmeister
07-05-2014, 10:11 PM
All I know is history tells us that futurologists are always completely wrong.

40 years ago we were all meant to be getting jetpacks and robot house workers. They never for a second thought of smart phones or even the internet at that point.

In the same way the best chess computer isn't a person so the same with the AI thing. At present this stuff is all brute force, using multiple options based on a computer.

It's nowhere near consciousness.

DONNIEP
07-05-2014, 10:16 PM
40 years ago we were all meant to be getting jetpacks

I think there's one guy who makes jetpacks for commercial sale. Well, rocket belts. Ridiculously expensive, actually. And the flight time still hasn't increased by much. Just think - you could strap that fucker on, fly down to the beer store and be back before the race comes back from commercial!

Nickdfresh
07-05-2014, 10:19 PM

40 years ago we were all meant to be getting jetpacks and robot house workers. They never for a second thought of smart phones or even the internet at that point.

In the same way the best chess computer isn't a person so the same with the AI thing. At present this stuff is all brute force, using multiple options based on a computer.

Today. Thirty years from now? And I don't think we're referencing futurists here. Mainly scientists and accomplished cryptologists, like I think the guy who coined "singularity" was a code breaker at Bletchley Park who helped crack the German Enigma Code in WWII. Secondly, I think this is exactly where the unpredictability factor comes into play. While it may not take place in 2045, it will at some point by the end of this century. A computer will gain some modicum of consciousness...

vandeleur
07-05-2014, 10:21 PM
von numan ?

DONNIEP
07-05-2014, 10:22 PM
Vandy is under Bletchley right now...

Nickdfresh
07-05-2014, 10:24 PM
We had jetpacks in the '60's. The U.S. Army was experimenting with them as a way of creating high tech airborne forces or something, but obviously you can't strap enough jet fuel on a man's back to make it practical. But I would add that we ARE developing exoskeletons for military applications and will probably have some sort of semi-cyborg suits within the coming decades. And of course humans may have some sort of means of exponentially increasing organic intelligence of the human brain even before any sort of A.I. becomes a threat. Who knows?

Kristy
07-05-2014, 10:38 PM
Seems like Del Douche is trying to sell a book.

Ghey.

Nickdfresh
07-05-2014, 10:53 PM
Seems like Del Douche is trying to sell a book.

Ghey.

https://s.yimg.com/os/en-US/video/video.snl.com/SNL_1376_03_Debbie_Downer.png
Whaa Whaaa WHAAAAA!!!!

Kristy
07-05-2014, 11:23 PM
You're getting lame, Nick
http://menopauseexpress.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/kyles_mom.gif

Nickdfresh
07-05-2014, 11:28 PM
Thanks for adding to the conversation, but there is much discussion in this realm and not everyone has a book to sell. Stephen Hawking recently spoke about this and it's actually becoming a bit of a movement. You can Wiki Stephen Hawking if you don't know who he is! But seriously, it is becoming a bit of a movement and I think a rather rational one...

Kristy
07-05-2014, 11:35 PM
It's bullshit sci-fi paranoia for cretins, Nick.

"Machines will make breakthroughs in medical technology, most of the human race will have more leisure time, and we'll think we've never had it better."

Sounds like something out of the toilet of L. Run Mother Hubbard. Remember I.G.Y., Nick? Of course you fucking don't. Same shit about mankind's future and look where we are today. Wars, increasing poverty, climate change, rampant disease...who in the fuck is this cocksucker fooling? By 2045 most of mankind will be dead. Which is great. You aging cretins need to go.

Kristy
07-05-2014, 11:38 PM
Plain pussy nonsense. Get it, Nick?
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121104175939/jamesbond/images/e/e5/Pussy_Galore%27s_Pilots_(Promotional_Still_2).jpg

DONNIEP
07-05-2014, 11:40 PM
Honor Blackman was so hot it ain't even funny...

Kristy
Nick's ghey theme song:

Nickdfresh
Plain pussy nonsense. Get it, Nick?
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121104175939/jamesbond/images/e/e5/Pussy_Galore%27s_Pilots_(Promotional_Still_2).jpg

Mmmmmm, Pussy Galore. ;) you gotta read the novels for the full experience :) "She consumes them like grapes" I think was the line that sent me into a three day masturbatory frenzy I think...

vandeleur
07-05-2014, 11:41 PM
2014 ? did I miss it ? I live in Britain the apocalypse is such an unenglish thing to do. We do queues and apathy :)

vandeleur
07-05-2014, 11:42 PM

She was pretty hot

Kristy
07-05-2014, 11:43 PM
All the Brits do anymore is complain and send their rejects over here: John Oliver, Posh Spice, shit like that.

Kristy
07-05-2014, 11:44 PM

Seriously, leave your house sometime.

vandeleur
07-05-2014, 11:44 PM
All the Brits do anymore is complain and send their rejects over here: John Oliver, Posh Spice, shit like that.

We dont even complain very well , its all under the breath and kinda sad :)

DONNIEP
07-05-2014, 11:48 PM
Seriously, leave your house sometime.

If you don't think she was hotter than hell then something is really wrong with you.

Kristy
07-05-2014, 11:49 PM

She is like what, 90 now? Give me some Valeria Planidina in a "cyborg" outfit anyday over that relic shit.

VALERIA PLANIDINA FOR MOI OSTROV MAGAZINE BY STEFAN IMIELSKI from IMIELSKI PHOTOGRAPHY on Vimeo.

Nickdfresh
07-05-2014, 11:57 PM
She is like what, 90 now? Give me some Valeria Planidina in a "cyborg" outfit anyday over that relic shit.

VALERIA PLANIDINA FOR MOI OSTROV MAGAZINE BY STEFAN IMIELSKI from IMIELSKI PHOTOGRAPHY on Vimeo.

Wow, you like some empty headed teen thingy as your orgasmo material? 'kay. Who should leave their house? ;)

Kristy
07-06-2014, 12:01 AM
How in the fuck do you know if she is "empty-headed" you fucking middle-aged cynical bag of shit? Bet she speaks more eloquently than you. But hey, if 90 year-old women is your thing then more power to you. Weirdo.

DONNIEP
07-06-2014, 12:03 AM

I said Honor Blackman was hot. Not is hot.

vandeleur
07-06-2014, 12:05 AM
Just to stick my chin out for kristy to have a shot . On the subject of old totty that used to do it for you . My all time favorite women off tv when I was a lad was the witch of Bewitched .
Elizabeth montgomery was hot when you were 10 :)

oh and not to derail it totally .. robots yeah :)

Kristy
07-06-2014, 12:06 AM
Hell is not that hot, Donnie.
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/photopost/data/941/1HappyDays1.jpg

Nickdfresh
07-06-2014, 12:06 AM
How in the fuck do you know if she is "empty-headed" you fucking middle-aged cynical bag of shit? Bet she speaks more eloquently than you.

How do you know she doesn't, you superficial cunt? I bet she thinks Justin Beber is a philosopher you dumbass!

But hey, if 90 year-old women is your thing then more power to you. Weirdo.

I never said she was. But she wasn't 90 in that film. She's forever 30-something and I wasn't really all that into her anyways. I always wanted the one from Dr. No. God I could blow a load to that primitive girl in a ragged bikini right now...

https://filmcrithulk.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/honeyryder.jpg

Kristy
07-06-2014, 12:09 AM
Blah...blah...blah...

Must be so rough for you, Nick. The white man who knows everything by looking it up.

Nickdfresh
07-06-2014, 12:10 AM
Blah...blah...blah...

Must be so rough for you, Nick. The white man who knows everything by looking it up.

It ain't that bad actually....

Nickdfresh
07-06-2014, 12:11 AM
Did you run out of wine in your box tonight? You seem cranky?

Kristy
07-06-2014, 12:17 AM
Nick, you're like a cat that not only shits in its sandbox but sleeps in it too only to tell others of the experience.

Kristy
07-06-2014, 12:24 AM
How do you know she doesn't, you superficial cunt? I bet she thinks Justin Beber is a philosopher you dumbass!

I've heard her speak. Compared to your lack of intelligence I'll take what she has to say.

I never said she was. But she wasn't 90 in that film. She's forever 30-something and I wasn't really all that into her anyways. I always wanted the one from Dr. No. God I could blow a load to that primitive girl in a ragged bikini right now...

You implied it, fuckface. The only load you could ever blow were shit stains you left for your mother to clean. No one gives a shit about your lame masturbatory fantasies of women who were nothing more than accessories in a bunch of shitty 60's spy movies. Grow the fuck up.

Angel
07-06-2014, 12:54 AM
Hmmm

Am I a cyborg? I've had a pacer for almost 25 years. :D.

My pacer measures my rate, activity and oxygen levels to determine when to pace. It saves all the data collected which is transmitted to St. Judes so that they can estimate how much time is left on the battery. I wouldn't call it AI though...

vandeleur
07-06-2014, 12:56 AM
Angelatron :)

Nickdfresh
07-06-2014, 01:06 AM
Nick, you're like a cat that not only shits in its sandbox but sleeps in it too only to tell others of the experience.

Um what? LMFAO.. :D

Nickdfresh
07-06-2014, 01:09 AM
I've heard her speak. Compared to your lack of intelligence I'll take what she has to say.

Okay LOL

You implied it, fuckface. The only load you could ever blow were shit stains you left for your mother to clean. No one gives a shit about your lame masturbatory fantasies of women who were nothing more than accessories in a bunch of shitty 60's spy movies. Grow the fuck up.

Okay, LOL. I think it was 50's novels actually. But some model makes your pussy wet and she's suddenly a genius? You fucking cliche!

Nitro Express
07-06-2014, 02:03 AM
Look at Cheney. That worthless son of a bitch went several years without a functional heart at all. He had some computer controlled pump until he could buy some Chinese kid's heart on the black market.

And even before that there was some "concerns" at Reichland Security that a "terrorist" might get the IP addy to his pacemaker (yes it actually had wi-fi access) and hack the sick ofd fuck to death.

Dick should be worm food. Now he's out and about trying to sell another Iraq war. Without modern medicine a lot of these assholes would be dead.

Satan
07-06-2014, 02:07 AM
Hooray for modern medicine! It keeps those bastards out of Hell a while longer!

Nitro Express
07-06-2014, 02:12 AM
It's bullshit sci-fi paranoia for cretins, Nick.

"Machines will make breakthroughs in medical technology, most of the human race will have more leisure time, and we'll think we've never had it better."

Sounds like something out of the toilet of L. Run Mother Hubbard. Remember I.G.Y., Nick? Of course you fucking don't. Same shit about mankind's future and look where we are today. Wars, increasing poverty, climate change, rampant disease...who in the fuck is this cocksucker fooling? By 2045 most of mankind will be dead. Which is great. You aging cretins need to go.

Yup. Basically the bankers are trying to start another major war before the bond market crashes. All computers have done is made it even more possible for a few to defraud the many. Flash trading and other electronic market manipulations have made the markets illusions and not reality. Also the brightest scientists and engineers get snagged by military contractors. Most our new developments go towards building weapons.

Not exactly the formula for a rosy future. I'm amazed we lasted this long. Maybe the planet needed us to make plastic. Now with the oceans full of plastic our job is done and our demise is soon to come.

Seshmeister
07-06-2014, 05:23 AM
Hahaha

When I saw you had replied to this thread I thought 'how is he going to crowbar this into being about banking?'

I was expecting you to say ATM machines were going to attack people... :biggrin:

ashstralia
07-06-2014, 09:50 AM
They never for a second thought of smart phones or even the internet at that point.

I believe Tesla imagined something like a smartphone and a wifi network. Von Daniken also described something which sounded almost exactly like the Internet. I can't quote, because my book is on loan. But yeah, I'll grant you that predicting the future is mostly folly.

Kristy
07-06-2014, 10:14 AM
Okay LOL

Okay, LOL. I think it was 50's novels actually. But some model makes your pussy wet and she's suddenly a genius? You fucking cliche!

It's like the tertiary stage of syphilis has over taken your higher functions.

Kristy
07-06-2014, 10:17 AM
Am I a cyborg? I've had a pacer for almost 25 years. :D.

You know who else has a Pacer?
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-U5cmgsMVwg4/UFjh84VpPhI/AAAAAAAA8yk/cbTfQNDiSoY/s400/1pacer.jpg

Nick

Kristy
07-06-2014, 10:21 AM
Yup. Basically the bankers are trying to start another major war before the bond market crashes.

Always been the economic model that works when civilizations are on the verge of bankruptcy

All computers have done is made it even more possible for a few to defraud the many.

Naw, they're for idiots like Nick who Wiki in order to make up for their obvious lack of intelligence.

Nickdfresh
07-06-2014, 11:31 AM
You know who else has a Pacer?
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-U5cmgsMVwg4/UFjh84VpPhI/AAAAAAAA8yk/cbTfQNDiSoY/s400/1pacer.jpg

Nick

Fucking AYE RIGHT!! My classic piece of American Motors greatness. Oh, now for my Gremlin collection!

Nickdfresh
07-06-2014, 11:32 AM
Hahaha

When I saw you had replied to this thread I thought 'how is he going to crowbar this into being about banking?'

I was expecting you to say ATM machines were going to attack people... :biggrin:

Only non-Jews...

Nickdfresh
07-06-2014, 11:33 AM
It's like the tertiary stage of syphilis has over taken your higher functions.

Higher functions? I never had those.

Kristy
07-06-2014, 11:39 AM
I concur.

Nickdfresh
07-06-2014, 11:45 AM
Or Cuntcur :D

Nitro Express
07-06-2014, 12:02 PM
Always been the economic model that works when civilizations are on the verge of bankruptcy

Naw, they're for idiots like Nick who Wiki in order to make up for their obvious lack of intelligence.

If you control the bond markets you control everything. It's that simple. There is no free market. What drives the market is interest rates and those are decided by a few people in a back room. Now it's gotten so corrupt the big boys loan each other money at 0% interest and drive the stock market up. We have record highs in stock prices in a bad economy. Because of privately owned central banking we have two economies. One for the average guy and one for the elite. If we could get zero percent loans we would be doing pretty well. Oh well, have cheap beer on a Rollback at Walmart and some food stamps, Bubba don't care. He only care when you take the beer and television away.

FORD
07-06-2014, 02:54 PM
Hahaha

Well.... a lot of those machines are made by Diebold, so that's always a possibility.

There's also the fact that many of them are still running Windows XP as an operating system, so that raises some security issues.

FORD
07-06-2014, 02:58 PM
Fucking AYE RIGHT!! My classic piece of American Motors greatness. Oh, now for my Gremlin collection!

You have to wonder about the designer of those AMC models (Pacer/Gremlin/Matador/etc.)

Was it somebody who did too many drugs, or somebody who didn't do enough. In the case of the Latter (pun intentional), was it George Romney trying to make cars on Earth that looked like what he imagined they drove back home on Kolob?

Nitro Express
07-06-2014, 02:58 PM
The machines have taken over already. It's called trading algorithms. Those who control the trading computers control the markets. In fact there is no free market anymore. You guys constantly complain about the 1% but yet have no idea what they do. Banking is everything. Try making any project work without financing. Have a lot to loan and see how much you control.

Those who think banking is just another form of business have no idea how the real world works.

ATM machines please. Small potatoes. Snack dispensers for the little guy.

Nickdfresh
07-07-2014, 08:29 PM
Will US cyborgs be the next to deploy?
Allison Barrie

By Allison Barrie
Published July 07, 2014
FoxNews.com (http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/07/07/will-us-cyborgs-be-next-to-deploy/)
http://global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/Scitech/musclebot.jpg

Tiny walking bio-bots are powered by muscle cells and controlled by an electric field.Janet Sinn-Hanlon/Group VetMed

A new cyborg – part machine and part biological muscle – has taken its first steps.

University of Illinois researchers, in a report published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, say their tiny new creature is the first robot that uses live muscle for power. The researchers, with funding from the National Science Foundation, have created a muscle-powered biological machine that can be controlled with an electric current.

It could lead to a new generation of biological robots, or “biobots.”

Researchers around the world have been hoping to use this type of technology for a range of applications, from building military robots to designing replacement organs.

Military robots have been on the U.S. military’s table for a while. The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) has been pioneering robot research for many years, and Gen. Robert Cone, commander of the Army Training and Doctrine Command, announced in January that he was tasked with considering the reduction of brigade combat teams from 4,000 to 3,000 soldiers – and replacing the human personnel with robots.

But humanoid robots, like humans, are very complicated, and they remain elusive for now. The advances needed to build ones that can go to war are vast: They require human dexterity and movement control, not to mention quantum computing that can achieve human “intelligence.”

Some researchers believe the solution will be to combine the machine with living tissue to create Terminator-style cyborgs. It’s still the stuff of science fiction, but the tiny biobots could be a key step forward.

How does it work?
The new biobot’s design is similar to the muscle, tendon and bone systems in animals. It moves when an electrical current is applied to the muscle, causing it to contract.

Lab-grown muscle cells are grown into a strip, and 3-D printers are used to create hydrogel “backbones” that bend like joints and provide strength like bone. The strip of muscle is grafted onto the backbone, just as tendons attach muscle to bone.

The biobot’s human controller can command the robot by issuing electrical pulses that power its movement. The frequency of the pulses can be adjusted to control speed: The higher the frequency, the more muscle contractions, the faster the biobot walks.

The team has shot video of the biobot flexing its muscles to propel itself across a lab.

Earlier cyborgs
The University of Illinois team has done extensive research on blending biological tissue with machines. Its earlier cyborgs were smaller than a centimeter and combined flexible 3-D printed hydrogels with living cells.

These early biobots were powered by rats’ beating heart cells. They could walk, but researchers had limited control over them because the heart cells continually contracted, making it hard to make the robots accelerate and slow down, as well as turn on and off.

But the new generation uses skeletal muscle cells instead of heart cells, and they pave the way to create smart biobots that can be trained and programmed.

The researchers are investigating ways to further improve control over the biobots’ movements, including possibly incorporating neurons so that the robots can respond to light or chemical gradients. They are also leveraging 3-D printing to evolve engineering and design.

Nitro Express
07-07-2014, 08:34 PM
You have to wonder about the designer of those AMC models (Pacer/Gremlin/Matador/etc.)

Was it somebody who did too many drugs, or somebody who didn't do enough. In the case of the Latter (pun intentional), was it George Romney trying to make cars on Earth that looked like what he imagined they drove back home on Kolob?

I can remember when mormon missionaries drove Gremlins. Mormons love cosmic funk. You just have to look at some of their temples. The one off of I-5 in LaJolla looks like it's ready to blast off.

Anonymous
07-08-2014, 06:59 AM

I remember a 1950s - possibly 60s? - video of "The House of Tomorrow" & how I kept larfing my ass at all the predictions in it.

Nothing wrong with a bit of light-hearted guessing, that's fun. But the voice-over guy had this serious tone & the script he was reading stated that it WOULD be EXACTLY like so.

Of course, every "fact" on that film failed miserably. Now keep in mind that was in the 50s or 60s, when technology was advancing at a comparatively much slower pace than it is today, so predicting made more sense back then, as it was easier to guess.

I'm no expert in the field, but isn't conscience reached by a mixture of chemical reactions & electrical impulses? To my knowledge, mathematical calculations & formulas based life is an impossibility. It CAN "learn", but it will always be limited to outside inputs, as no matter how much its knowledge grows, will never be sentient.

Oh well, somebody just discovered the old science-fiction novels. I used to love that crap when I was a kid, I think I still do. I'll have to start reading a few again, see how it goes.

All the more proof that people never learn from history, every couple of generations some lunatic repeats stuff that was debunked years ago & there'll always be enough gullible, not very smart people with no thoughts of their own ready to pass that "brand new" theory along. :lol:

Cheers! :beers: