PDA

View Full Version : Diver Down

SweetSecrets
07-01-2004, 04:45 PM
I was reading in my Encyclopedia of Rock n Roll, and it says, " the lack of strong original material makes Diver Down less of an accomplishment than it appears"

I say, FUCK that! What they did with those covers just makes them even more genious!

ALinChainz
07-01-2004, 05:23 PM
I like that album a lot.

My feeling has always been ... if I don't like a song, I wonder what it would sound like with Dave and the boys covering it.

Pretty Woman, Dancing in the Streets, Where have All the Good Times Gone, Big Bad Bill ... all WAAAAAAAAAAY better by VH than originals.

In my humble ... humble opinion of course.

pete
07-01-2004, 05:45 PM
I love the album

I love the originals on it.

Little Guitars - The Full Bug - Hang 'em high

What post 1984 album has a song that can touch these?

some of their strongest shit! IMHO - IMO anyway

SweetSecrets
07-01-2004, 10:27 PM
Yea..this guy in this encyclopedia was an idiot
idiot
idiot
idiot

pete
07-01-2004, 10:32 PM
"Big Bad Bill" is fun. never took getting use tio. you liked it right of the bat!

SweetSecrets
07-01-2004, 10:37 PM
I started thinking about this album today as I was blasting "Dancing in the Street". That is the coolest version ever! It should have been called the orignial because it makes the real original sound like Mary Had A little Lamb, or something

Matt White
07-01-2004, 10:45 PM
"Little Guitars" is FUCKING BRILLIANT!

pkolb
07-07-2004, 02:44 PM
DLR takes a cover and makes it his own. I've never heard the original "Big Bad Bill," but, for the others, I can say that I prefer the Diver Down versions to the originals. Also, this album sounds like a great band having a good time - something Ed has forgotten how to do - "How Many Say I" - I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I heard that.

Bill Lumbergh
07-12-2004, 01:58 AM
This album has SUCH a bad rep, and I think most of it comes from Ed and his sis. I actually prefer it over 1984........the originals still blow me away after all these years, and no complaints about the covers either.

Northern Girl
07-13-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
"Little Guitars" is FUCKING BRILLIANT!

My personal favorite of all their songs. If you haven't listened in a while go put it on right now.

Carmine
07-13-2004, 02:13 PM
In similar threads defending this album: SECRETS< LITTLE GUITARS< THE FULL BUG!
3 of the best... great album all the way around!

SweetSecrets
07-13-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by pkolb
DLR takes a cover and makes it his own. I've never heard the original "Big Bad Bill," but, for the others, I can say that I prefer the Diver Down versions to the originals.

That is the great thing about the covers on that album...THEY SHOULD BE ORIGINALS. So much creative thought was put into them, that they basically created new songs, anyway.

Much better songs, that is!

Panamark
07-14-2004, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by SweetPoundcake
I was reading in my Encyclopedia of Rock n Roll, and it says, " the lack of strong original material makes Diver Down less of an accomplishment than it appears"

I say, FUCK that! What they did with those covers just makes them even more genious!

Apart from Dancing in the Streets, I love this Album too !
I dont care about the covers, it fookin Rocks !
Van Halen always did have the knack of making those
covers, their own !!

Carmine
07-14-2004, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
Apart from Dancing in the Streets, I love this Album too !
I dont care about the covers, it fookin Rocks !
Van Halen always did have the knack of making those
covers, their own !!

yep, but the only one who truly appreciates that is Dave. When was the last time you heard "The Kinks" version of "you really got me" on the radio? It was before 1978!

Panamark
07-15-2004, 06:33 AM
Yeah, I never hear the Kinks version on Rock stations anymore. Its always the Halenized version ! Thats a good thing ;)

Fabulous Shadow
07-15-2004, 06:54 PM
Diver Down is my least favorite Dave era album. I wasnt crazy about the covers. I havent listened to it in YEARS. Maybe I'll toss it in at my ROCK fest this weekend...

WACF
07-21-2004, 03:45 PM
My least favortie VH album...but still a good one.

The thing about Van Halen is when they cover a song they own it!

ELVIS
07-22-2004, 08:12 PM
I love Dancin' In The Streets...:D

Big Troubles
07-22-2004, 08:21 PM
I like DD. Its different. I hate Dancin.... Full Bug is awesome as well as Hang em High...

Elvis you should be shot at for that. May you die sitting on the throne eating a balogna and peanut butter sandwich! :D

SweetSecrets
07-22-2004, 08:56 PM
ha!

SweetSecrets
07-22-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
I hate Dancin...

:D

Do you really? What in Hell fires for??

TwoFoolsAMinute
07-24-2004, 12:19 PM
I love this album!!! I love every fooking song on it, covers and all. That first lick in Where Have All the Good Times Gone just blows you away and takes you on a journey all the way to the bumbadeeda of Happy Trails when you're sad to see them go. Nothing really special about the cover of Pretty Woman, that is until you throw Intruder on there as an intro, and it becomes a great Van Halen song. Little guitars is pretty much what I would consider Classic VH's only love song, but rather than cheese, it starts out with one of their heaviest riffs and rocks from beginning to end. Secrets is probably the best demonstration of Roth's ability as a vocalist. The guy sings his heart out on that song. And there's no shortage of classic style Van Halen such as The Full Bug, and Hang Em High. There's nothing about this record that Van Halen should be ashamed of. It definately holds its own.

Full Bug
07-24-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
Full Bug is awesome!
I know, but I try to be humble....:D
Its a little short, but lots of gems on there, guess what one is my favourite?
;)

BARE BONE
07-26-2004, 09:51 PM
They should of put Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers on Diver Down. That song was meant for them. I love the live version.

DLRdelight!
07-30-2004, 12:09 AM
I think taht album kicks ass, i remember when i first bought it. Just put random on the car and it went to intruder right in to pretty women

great album

DeadOrAlive
08-13-2004, 11:01 PM
Diver Down kicks ass. All CVH albums kick ass!

Loons The Great
12-25-2006, 06:36 PM
Bump one time! Nah yezzah...