PDA

View Full Version : Who made the best 'comeback' album?

binnie
08-02-2014, 10:28 AM
Which of these classic bands made the best comeback record?

There are bound to be others I've missed, so throw 'em in.

Seshmeister
08-02-2014, 12:48 PM
I really need to listen to that Ratt album again.

It sounded really good but I was writing at the time and was worried I would accidentally rip it off.

Mr. Vengeance
08-02-2014, 02:41 PM
I don't know how far you want to go back in time...

Of the choices listed I think VH is the best. Ratt's was good too. In term of music history, I'm trying to think..so many albums. This one I thought was a great comeback.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/54/Perfect_Strangers_%28Deep_Purple_album_-_cover_art%29.jpg/220px-Perfect_Strangers_%28Deep_Purple_album_-_cover_art%29.jpg

Kristy
08-02-2014, 02:46 PM
No doubt about it:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-b2Yz4ApsFBQ/UGttNjG4MfI/AAAAAAAAeh4/ws0aIPh8L8o/s1600/Sting_Sacred_love_2003_front.jpg

Mushroom
08-02-2014, 02:59 PM
No doubt about it:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-b2Yz4ApsFBQ/UGttNjG4MfI/AAAAAAAAeh4/ws0aIPh8L8o/s1600/Sting_Sacred_love_2003_front.jpg

No, that's called "getting comfortable with mediocrity"

Mushroom
08-02-2014, 03:01 PM

Of the choices listed I think VH is the best. Ratt's was good too. In term of music history, I'm trying to think..so many albums. This one I thought was a great comeback.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/54/Perfect_Strangers_%28Deep_Purple_album_-_cover_art%29.jpg/220px-Perfect_Strangers_%28Deep_Purple_album_-_cover_art%29.jpg

Deep Purple best comeback in history

VHscraps
08-02-2014, 03:09 PM
A recent one that springs to mind is Going Back Home (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_Back_Home_(Wilko_Johnson_and_Roger_Daltrey_a lbum)) by Wilko Johnson and Roger Daltrey. Kick ass guitar driven British R'n'B.

It's a comeback for Wilko Johnson - and it's all his tunes, apart from one cover of a Bob Dylan song. I am sure most people on here won't know who the hell he is - he was guitarist / songwriter for an influential Brit band in the 70s, named Dr. Feelgood.

This was his first album for years and first album to chart - reaching No. 3 - since his last with Dr. Feelgood in 1976 - that album Stupidity, was a No.1 album. I think it was his last album with them.

He was living under a death sentence at the time this was made. Cancer - the doctors gave him a year to live, so what did he do? He went on the road, and made an album ... what a guy. A great driving down the highway with the pedal to the metal kind of album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeoKCJNI-k4

FORD
08-02-2014, 03:26 PM
Lennon & McCartney, 1974.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrSSxlu4ns8

yeah, OK not really! Sounds like a really bad combination of booze & coke there, and far too much of both!

binnie
08-02-2014, 03:28 PM
I think some of you guys are smokin' crack if you think that 'A Different Kind of Truth' is superior to 'A Brave New World'. I like ADKOT a lot, and I enjoy listening to it, but it's not amazing is it?

***bows head and runs for cover***

vandeleur
08-02-2014, 03:34 PM
Mmmmm sorry binnie where did it all go wrong ;)

vandeleur
08-02-2014, 03:37 PM
And binnie I think it is amazing , great songs and as likely to happen as ...... Something unlikely to happen .
And what did you really expect on a Dave site , we arnt just here for Elvis's break down :)

binnie
08-02-2014, 03:55 PM
And binnie I think it is amazing , great songs and as likely to happen as ...... Something unlikely to happen .
And what did you really expect on a Dave site , we arnt just here for Elvis's break down :)

I know. I was stirring the pot :D

VHscraps
08-02-2014, 04:01 PM
I dunno, Binnie - I have to admit that apart from hearing the odd thing on radio, I stopped listening to Maiden around the time of Piece of Mind!!! When was that - 30 years ago ... But I was recently watching the Metal Evolution series on TV, and I was reminded of how much I loved their first couple of albums. I really did play those to death at the time - but, truth be told, I was never a big fan of Bruce. Even with Samson, I preferred it when Paul Samson sang (which he did on the album Survivors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivors_(Samson_album)) - I think Bruce only sings two tunes on that). I'd probably disagree with that if I heard it now ...

ADKOT is a very good album, but it doesn't breathe like VH at their best, which for me is WACF by a country mile. That album sounds like an explosion of energy, or a gust of wind or something - amazing that it was captured that way. But, it would be impossible for guys pushing 60 - with all their disagreements / animosities, and the kind of insecurities you just do not have when you are 25 to contend with - to equal that. Under the circumstances, it was a miraculous comeback - amazing that they pulled it off, and that it was as good as it was.

If they were better at stoking their own legend, people beyond the hardcore fans might have given it a listen.

binnie
08-02-2014, 06:19 PM
You should give the later stuff with Bruce a chance - they've become increasingly prog since he came back into the fold.

vandeleur
08-02-2014, 06:25 PM
The later stuff is great :)

Kristy
08-02-2014, 06:28 PM
No, that's called "getting comfortable with mediocrity"

You're just a meanie.

Kristy
08-02-2014, 06:31 PM
A recent one that springs to mind is Going Back Home (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_Back_Home_(Wilko_Johnson_and_Roger_Daltrey_a lbum)) by Wilko Johnson and Roger Daltrey. Kick ass guitar driven British R'n'B.

I actually bought that album with some high hopes would be something different in my otherwise awesome Katy Perry world. Could not get past four songs. None of it due to the production, mix or even Wilko's playing - all of which are quite good. It's Daltry's voice. It's beyond fucking shot and even Dylan sings better then him these days.

ashstralia
08-02-2014, 10:20 PM
No band brings it live like Maiden.

101% every time.

VAiN
08-03-2014, 08:52 PM
ADKOT is a very good album, but it doesn't breathe like VH at their best, which for me is WACF by a country mile. That album sounds like an explosion of energy, or a gust of wind or something - amazing that it was captured that way. But, it would be impossible for guys pushing 60 - with all their disagreements / animosities, and the kind of insecurities you just do not have when you are 25 to contend with - to equal that. Under the circumstances, it was a miraculous comeback - amazing that they pulled it off, and that it was as good as it was.

If they were better at stoking their own legend, people beyond the hardcore fans might have given it a listen.

Agree 110% here.

I haven't heard, or care to listen to, any of the others.. Not really a fan. Maiden and Priest songs to me all sound the same. They're great musicians - I respect it, but it's not for me. I'd be curious to hear the Sabbath album just because.. I don't need to hear the Ratt album though.

Do I think ADKOT is amazing? Yes, on some levels. VH made a very good and very crankable album rock album. It was harder than I expected. Ed plays some nice leads and Dave, lyrically, never disappoints. Like most people I don't like the mix. There are a few vocals that i wish were done a little differently as well.. but overall it's very very solid. I still listen to it daily.

WACF
08-03-2014, 10:54 PM
Deep Purple - Perfect Strangers.

ADKOT....damn good...weak first single and the release seemed to have no legs at all. That thing should of been blasting out of radios all summer long.

I gotta blame the mix too...for me with buds or headphones on I find it unlistenable...same with Metallica's Death Magnetic. like the songs...but the mix is brutal.

New Priest is the same...the few songs I have heard sound like a low bandwidth internet station stream...I will avoid it for that reason.

Monkeeman
08-04-2014, 04:41 AM
First album I thought of was Deep Purple - Perfect Strangers.

binnie
08-04-2014, 06:18 AM
A lot of you guys are mentioning 'Perfect Strangers' - I've never heard any magic on that record, however. What are you hearing that I'm not?

DLR Bridge
08-04-2014, 08:01 AM
Throwing out another comeback, Alice In Chains' Black Gives Way To Blue may not belong high up on a list, but definitely is way more solid than I expected, considering I wasn't expecting anything. Just figured Jerry would either join or start a different band. Layne is irreplaceable, but so is Bon Scott. AIC pulled an AC-DC and are still in the game, for sure.

binnie
08-04-2014, 08:25 AM
Throwing out another comeback, Alice In Chains' Black Gives Way To Blue may not belong high up on a list, but definitely is way more solid than I expected, considering I wasn't expecting anything. Just figured Jerry would either join or start a different band. Layne is irreplaceable, but so is Bon Scott. AIC pulled an AC-DC and are still in the game, for sure.

I'd say that 'Black Gives Way To Blue' is superior to everything on that list except for 'Brave New World'. It - and 'The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here' - are very, very good records.

Mr. Vengeance
08-04-2014, 09:52 AM
A lot of you guys are mentioning 'Perfect Strangers' - I've never heard any magic on that record, however. What are you hearing that I'm not?

I can give you my opinion Bin, not sure what others might say, but I opened the can of worms..haha.

Frankly, I thought House of Blue Light was an even better album, but we're talking comeback albums, and PS just grooved for me. The entire album...man, you could put that tape in the deck in your car and when Perfect Strangers was playing...Da da dum, da da dum da da dum, da da dum da da da da da dum dum.....That was some driving shit right there!

I really wasn't sure what to expect when they announced the Deep Purple reunion, but I looked forward to it like crazy. I didn't hate the Coverdale years, in fact, I probably play "Burn" almost as often as I play "Machine Head". I fucking loved Sabbath's "Born Again" with Ian Gillan on vocals, so I was a little ticked that experiment didn't last. When the album came out it just sounded like classic Purple to me. Good songs, good structure.

Hard to say why, but I just loved it from first listen.

78/84 guy
08-05-2014, 08:33 PM
Back In Black. And I love Bon.

Satan
08-05-2014, 09:52 PM
Back In Black. And I love Bon.

Does it really count as a comeback album when the band was really only without a singer for 2 months?

Great record, yes. But you have to go away in order to come back. Ac/Dc never really did. (Bon being the obvious exception. And now Malcolm, I guess :( )

Mushroom
08-06-2014, 12:11 AM

I think what your are missing is the experience at that time hearing a band from the 60s/70s comeback and put out a heavy record. There was a lot of warranted hype. It felt like magic at that time relative to the music scene. I watched the music videos and it looked like mature metal gods showing the young punks how to get it done.

Mushroom
08-06-2014, 12:15 AM
Does it really count as a comeback album when the band was really only without a singer for 2 months?

Great record, yes. But you have to go away in order to come back. Ac/Dc never really did. (Bon being the obvious exception. And now Malcolm, I guess :( )

You are so cynical Satan. This should get honorable mention. How does a band comeback after losing a charismatic singer? They comeback with perhaps the biggest song in rock music history when every other band would have failed miserably.

Kristy
08-06-2014, 12:56 AM
I think what your are missing is the experience at that time hearing a band from the 60s/70s comeback and put out a heavy record. There was a lot of warranted hype. It felt like magic at that time relative to the music scene. I watched the music videos and it looked like mature metal gods showing the young punks how to get it done.

Yeah, like how Sting shows Taylor Swift how it's "done", moron.

Satan
08-06-2014, 02:10 AM
You are so cynical Satan. This should get honorable mention. How does a band comeback after losing a charismatic singer? They comeback with perhaps the biggest song in rock music history when every other band would have failed miserably.

No, don't get me wrong.... I totally loved what they did with that album, and so did Bon, for that matter.

I just don't think it fits the same category as bands that have been apart (or at least the REAL version of the band has been apart) for over a decade, as was the case with Van Halen, Deep Purple, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, or Iron Maiden.

Mushroom
08-06-2014, 10:27 AM
Yeah, like how Sting shows Taylor Swift how it's "done", moron.

What an idiot mentioning Taylor Swift. Only she has going for her is that prize between her thighs and a whole pussy lot of money.

Sting has been good at demonstrating how to "mail it in" over the last 20 years.

Kristy
08-06-2014, 10:46 AM
What an idiot mentioning Taylor Swift. Only she has going for her is that pussy between her thighs and a whole lot of money.

Sting has been good at demonstrating how to "mail it in" over the last 20 years.

Again, go fuck yourself.

Go listen to your homoerotic aging and incredibly dull rock stars.

Von Halen
08-06-2014, 10:54 AM

Sting sucks, and has always sucked. I saw The Police in 1979, only because I had nothing better to do. By far, the worst fucking concert I've ever seen in my life.

I think somebody way better than them opened. Maybe Uriah Heep.

Mushroom
08-06-2014, 11:15 AM
Sting sucks, and has always sucked. I saw The Police in 1979, only because I had nothing better to do. By far, the worst fucking concert I've ever seen in my life.

I think somebody way better than them opened. Maybe Uriah Heep.

Uriah Heep was insane. I'm sure they had a great comeback album at some point in time!

Kristy
08-06-2014, 03:16 PM
Ghey.Ancient.Metal.

Terry
08-17-2014, 10:45 AM

Yep.

Great album. Stands right alongside the bulk of what DP MK 2 did without looking paltry by comparison (and is actually a bit better than the bands last 1970s studio album with Ian Gillan).

Terry
08-17-2014, 10:48 AM

I'd have to agree that AC/DC weren't really gone long enough after Scott died to have a comeback. I would give them credit for making one of the best lead singer transitions far as hard rock bands go, specifically with the Back In Black album.