PDA

View Full Version : ISIS Captures Largest Christian City in Iraq...

ELVIS
08-07-2014, 12:34 PM
BAGHDAD (http://online.wsj.com/articles/iraqi-militants-seize-christian-villages-1407404503)—Tens of thousands of Iraqi Christians fled an advance by Sunni jihadists into the country's northern Christian heartland on Thursday, sending families packing into cars or fleeing on foot as the militants pushed their offensive closer to Iraq's Kurdish region.

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/BN-EA047_0807ir_G_20140807102422.jpg

The group calling itself Islamic State took over two towns after the Kurdish regional forces guarding them, the Peshmerga, withdrew, local officials and residents said. It wasn't clear why the Peshmerga withdrew. Some Kurdish officials cited higher orders from within the group and others said the jihadists' advance became too threatening.

Islamic State fighters entered Tal Keif, some 10 miles north of the city of Mosul in Nineveh province, late Wednesday, the town's mayor said. They took over Qara Qosh, east of Mosul and closer to the border of the semiautonomous Kurdish region, on Thursday morning, a security official said. The advances appear to indicate a strategic push by the Islamic State toward the Kurdish region, so far insulated from the insurgents and a save haven for displaced Iraqis from all over the country.

Two other towns in the area, Bartella and Karmalees, also fell under Islamic State control overnight, said Joseph Thomas, the Chaldean Archbishop of Kirkuk and Sulaymaniya. Mr. Thomas and local officials said the latest advance has nearly purged northwestern Iraq of its Christian population.

"Those towns are now devoid of their original inhabitants. The displaced people are roaming the roads and riding whatever vehicle they can to get out," Mr. Thomas said. Tal Keif Mayor Bassem Bello said people also fled his town by foot, as cars jammed the road to make the hourlong drive to the province of Dohuk—part of the country's Kurdish region—overnight.

"The Nineveh plain yesterday was emptied of its people," Mr. Bello said by telephone. "There is not a Christian town left standing." Mr. Bello said the majority of Tel Keif's 30,000 residents fled; if anyone was left behind, he warned they were in great danger from the Sunni extremists on a campaign to seize territory and drive out Iraq's religious and ethnic minorities.

An Iraqi retrieves items from a destroyed shop the morning after a string of car bombs tore through busy shopping streets in several neighborhoods in Baghdad, Iraq. Associated Press

Iraqi Christians are thought to make up little more than 5% of the population of some 23 million people. Once one of the more vibrant Christian populations in the Middle East, 10 years of war and the rise of Islamic extremism already induced much of the country's Christian minority to emigrate.

The Islamic State's capture of Qara Qosh puts the group less than 40 miles from the province of Erbil, where the capital of the Kurdistan Regional Government is located. The Iraqi media reported that fighters from the group had taken two Kurdish towns even closer to Erbil, Makhmour and Gwar, but those reports couldn't be immediately confirmed.

The Islamic State—a spinoff of al Qaeda that was previously known as the Islamic State of Iraq and al Sham, or ISIS—pressed forward an offensive in northern Iraq after seizing the city of Mosul on June 10. In recent days, the group has pushed back Peshmerga forces there, taking a string of towns and two small oil fields and moving towards the country's largest dam in Mosul. The group, emboldened in Iraq after seizing parts of northern and eastern Syria, aims to create a pan-country Islamic state.

For residents of the city of Erbil, the flood of people into the Kurdish region and fears of the jihadists' advance over the past few days has stirred widespread panic. People stocked up on essentials at supermarkets and tried to book flights out of the area, but many were already overbooked, residents said. Security tightened as many more road checkpoints were put up. One resident said an appeal for Kurds to volunteer with the Peshmerga boomed out through a mosque speaker on Wednesday.

The Peshmerga's withdrawal from Tal Keif and Qara Qosh mystified local officials. "There was no attack on Tal Keif at first, there was a Peshmerga withdrawal," said Mr. Bello, the town's mayor. "It was very surprising to us." A Peshmerga spokesman didn't immediately return calls for comment.

Boutros Sargon, a resident who said he fled Tal Keif after the Islamic State moved in, said the town "fell into their hands without resistance." He said he heard sounds of gunfire coming from the direction of the town's entrance around midnight, and stepped out to find insurgents riding armored vehicles yelling "Allahu akbar," or "God is Great."

:elvis:

Kristy
08-07-2014, 12:42 PM
Sweet. Maybe they can stop E Bola from spreading, too.

DONNIEP
08-07-2014, 12:46 PM
Yayyy, bring on the Caliphate!! Cause there's just not enough beheadings these days, ya know?

VAiN
08-07-2014, 01:05 PM
Quick, sprinkle more democracy dust!!

Satan
08-07-2014, 01:21 PM
And again, I say this ISIS dragonshit ain't what it appears to be. Because if they are, then Islam must be real, as the only way they could pull off the shit they have, in the time they have, is through a Higher Power.

And that Higher Power would be either the BCE/CIA, Mossad, or my Former Employer, who goes by the name "Allah" in that neighborhood.

VAiN
08-07-2014, 01:40 PM
But really is anyone surprised about this? It's exactly what was predicted as soon as we pulled out.

PETE'S BROTHER
08-07-2014, 01:54 PM
he said "pulled out" :hee:

Mushroom
08-07-2014, 02:56 PM
And again, I say this ISIS dragonshit ain't what it appears to be. Because if they are, then Islam must be real, as the only way they could pull off the shit they have, in the time they have, is through a Higher Power.

And that Higher Power would be either the BCE/CIA, Mossad, or my Former Employer, who goes by the name "Allah" in that neighborhood.

Now I think you're being silly. Why can't it be real ISIS Islamist movement? How can you seriously think an Islamic movement is not capable of such disregard and destruction?

DONNIEP
08-07-2014, 03:00 PM
How can you seriously think an Islamic movement is not capable of such disregard and destruction?

Because everybody knows they're super friendly and peace loving. Duh.

Satan
08-07-2014, 03:03 PM
Now I think you're being silly. Why can't it be real ISIS Islamist movement? How can you seriously think an Islamic movement is not capable of such disregard and destruction?

It's not the disregard and destruction that's suspicious. It's how this alleged "organization" went from 0 to 666 within a number of weeks. They didn't exist in April. Now they're supposedly taking over the entire Middle East? Add in their presence on "social media" (not at all consistent with a 12th century religious fanaticism) and some well publicized propaganda events, like rolling through towns with mobile (well armed) food banks, distributing huge bags of food to the locals, no doubt to boost their public image. And the ease by which this group can rob banks and acquire weapons.

It's just way too much to have happened literally overnight, without a lot of very well placed help. And again, has anybody ever seen these guys without masks on? Can we even confirm they are the proper ethnicity, for what they claim themselves to be?

Seshmeister
08-07-2014, 03:39 PM
Because everybody knows they're super friendly and peace loving. Duh.

Like the Christians who have been killing them for 10 years?

Seshmeister
08-07-2014, 03:40 PM
It's not the disregard and destruction that's suspicious. It's how this alleged "organization" went from 0 to 666 within a number of weeks. They didn't exist in April. Now they're supposedly taking over the entire Middle East? Add in their presence on "social media" (not at all consistent with a 12th century religious fanaticism) and some well publicized propaganda events, like rolling through towns with mobile (well armed) food banks, distributing huge bags of food to the locals, no doubt to boost their public image. And the ease by which this group can rob banks and acquire weapons.

It's just way too much to have happened literally overnight, without a lot of very well placed help. And again, has anybody ever seen these guys without masks on? Can we even confirm they are the proper ethnicity, for what they claim themselves to be?

Who do you think they are, the Spanish Inquisition?

DONNIEP
08-07-2014, 03:40 PM

Nah, that's all make believe too.

DONNIEP
08-07-2014, 03:41 PM

No, he thinks they're a bunch of white dudes from Virginia.

ELVIS
08-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Sweet. Maybe they can stop E Bola from spreading, too.

They who, whore ??

ELVIS
08-07-2014, 03:49 PM

What Christians are those ??

DONNIEP
08-07-2014, 03:50 PM

The 5% of the Iraqi population that's been slaughtering Muslims and running them out of their villages and dirt holes.

binnie
08-07-2014, 03:56 PM
It's terrifying, isn't it?

If we look at the last 15 years, the West has:

- destabilised Iraq to the point where it has collapsed into Civil War
- destablised Libya to the point where it has collapsed into Civil War
- supported rebels in Syria, but not far enough to secure an outright victory, so it has collapsed into Civil War.

It just disgusts me, and I'm staggered by the fact that our governments clearly don't understand the countries they're trying to 'help'.

Kristy
08-07-2014, 04:21 PM
They who, whore ??

How Christian.

VetteLS5
08-07-2014, 04:28 PM

Satan
08-07-2014, 04:50 PM
No, he thinks they're a bunch of white dudes from Virginia.

Or possibly from Tel Aviv. They didn't grow up in caves, or war torn shitholes with no electricity, obviously.

Satan
08-07-2014, 04:51 PM

Well.... you have to admit nobody would expect them! http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d025.gif

Satan
08-07-2014, 04:53 PM

The ones who wouldn't know the teachings of JC if they were smacked up side the head with the original 10 commandments tablets.

PETE'S BROTHER
08-07-2014, 05:15 PM
the original 10 commandments tablets.

:nono: 15...

Satan
08-07-2014, 05:34 PM
Yeah, well we know that third tablet never even made it off the mountain...... http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d025.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZA2mBntrHk

ELVIS
08-07-2014, 06:15 PM
The 5% of the Iraqi population that's been slaughtering Muslims and running them out of their villages and dirt holes.

Show an example...

ELVIS
08-07-2014, 06:23 PM
The ones who wouldn't know the teachings of JC if they were smacked up side the head with the original 10 commandments tablets.

You're making it up as you go along, as usual...

Angel
08-07-2014, 06:32 PM
Or possibly from Tel Aviv. They didn't grow up in caves, or war torn shitholes with no electricity, obviously.
Angel agrees with Satan... ;)

ashstralia
08-07-2014, 06:37 PM
Fictitious characters arguing about fictitious texts 'written' by other fictitious characters...

Anyone else appreciating the irony? :)

DONNIEP
08-07-2014, 07:18 PM
Embrace the Caliphate!!

Satan
08-07-2014, 07:24 PM
Caliphate, my pointy tailed ass! There's only going to be ONE world government, and it's going to be ruled by my son, the Antichrist.

Who apparently converted to Judaism, at least according to Mr. Presley.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39TaOMlneBw:metalbang:

Seshmeister
08-07-2014, 07:46 PM
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

twonabomber
08-07-2014, 08:03 PM
It isn't hard to do
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

I dunno...even without all that, we'd still find something to fight over. Or still fuck it up.

Satan
08-07-2014, 08:39 PM
I dunno...even without all that, we'd still find something to fight over. Or still fuck it up.

Like in that South Park episode where the future guys with the bowl haircuts fought the talking otters who rode ostriches over the correct form of science? :biggrin:

ELVIS
08-07-2014, 10:57 PM
Caliphate, my pointy tailed ass! There's only going to be ONE world government, and it's going to be ruled by my son, the Antichrist.

Who apparently converted to Judaism, at least according to Mr. Presley.......

No, Zionism and Judaism...

Nitro Express
08-07-2014, 11:02 PM
At the end of the day. It's all about oil and gas. The rest is conversation.

Seshmeister
08-07-2014, 11:05 PM
No, Zionism and Judaism...

Let's face it in the million to 1 odds of that happening, someone as anxious and scared of death and everything else as you would have converted in minutes.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ivuW0doY0Z0/TD5syvwcHuI/AAAAAAAACK8/ufk6_1Fx4jg/s1600/cowardly_lion.jpg

Nitro Express
08-08-2014, 02:35 AM
It's terrifying, isn't it?

If we look at the last 15 years, the West has:

- destabilised Iraq to the point where it has collapsed into Civil War
- destablised Libya to the point where it has collapsed into Civil War
- supported rebels in Syria, but not far enough to secure an outright victory, so it has collapsed into Civil War.

It just disgusts me, and I'm staggered by the fact that our governments clearly don't understand the countries they're trying to 'help'.

It was a war and oil orgy to begin with. It never was about helping anybody. What can I say. The US Government was taken over by corporate gangsters and they used our assets and military in an attempt to try and seize a bunch of assets for themselves and like Hitler and Napoleon they tried to eat too much too fast and choked. It's time to clean house.

DONNIEP
08-08-2014, 05:07 PM
It isn't hard to do
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

Gayest song ever. Even gayer than anything Frankie Goes To Hollywood ever dreamed of writing.

FORD
08-08-2014, 05:21 PM
Gayest song ever. Even gayer than anything Frankie Goes To Hollywood ever dreamed of writing.

Nah, "Imagine" isn't even in the neighborhood of "gayest song ever written".....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSo3i2Q29xY

DONNIEP
08-08-2014, 05:47 PM
Ok, I'll give you that one.

Nickdfresh
08-08-2014, 08:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWLHK2h8EBQ

;)

Nickdfresh
08-08-2014, 09:34 PM
ISIS, it sounds like something you rub on your balls to make the chaffing go away. I wonder if Kristy has tried it?

ELVIS
08-09-2014, 04:40 PM
I'm sure Obomba has...

VAiN
08-09-2014, 05:19 PM
Nah, "Imagine" isn't even in the neighborhood of "gayest song ever written".....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSo3i2Q29xY

Yeah, that's pretty gay.

Kristy
08-09-2014, 05:24 PM
Yeah, that's pretty gay.

You sure about that?

Kristy
08-09-2014, 05:26 PM
ISIS, it sounds like something you rub on your balls to make the chaffing go away. I wonder if Kristy has tried it?

Battling borderline personality disorder can be very tiring and confusing. People with this problem are in severe physical, emotional, and psychological pain almost all the time. They also lack a stable sense of who they are. One minute the person might think of himself or herself as a good person, and the next minute think of himself or herself as evil and flawed. Thoughts about other people fluctuate rapidly, as well. The person might want to trust others, but at the same time, he or she doesn’t think other people are trustworthy. All of this confusion can very easily leave a person feeling empty, sad, and hollow inside.

Seek help, Nick.

Nickdfresh
08-09-2014, 07:55 PM
[i]Battling borderline personality disorder can be very tiring and confusing.....

Try smoking more pot!

Kristy
08-10-2014, 12:44 PM
Try smoking more pot!

Try getting yourself into some sort of counseling future bunny boiler/about to take an automatic weapon into a shopping mall guy.

ELVIS
08-10-2014, 12:49 PM
You both need to seek good council...

Kristy
08-10-2014, 12:50 PM
Is your social worker looking for work?

ELVIS
08-10-2014, 12:51 PM
I wouldn't have a social worker...

Nickdfresh
08-10-2014, 09:39 PM
Try getting yourself into some sort of counseling future bunny boiler/about to take an automatic weapon into a shopping mall guy.

I wound NEVER boil a bunny!! Broiled is much better. Shopping mall assault rifles? I prefer shotguns.

Nickdfresh
08-10-2014, 09:40 PM
You both need to seek good council...

Get Jebus on the line, stat!