PDA

View Full Version : From Texas, where everything is bigger, the 99-pack of beer

FORD
08-27-2014, 12:45 PM
From Texas, where everything is bigger, the 99-pack of beer (http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/26/usa-texas-beer-idUSL5N0QW4XQ20140826)
Tue, Aug 26 18:31 PM EDT

http://cdn.redalertpolitics.com/files/2014/08/austin-beer.jpg

By Jon Herskovitz

AUSTIN Texas (Reuters) - Beer packaging has just gotten a lot bigger in Texas, where a small brewery is launching a 99-pack of its "Peacemaker" ale.

The 7-foot-long (2.13-meter-long) pack consists of three rows of 33 cans that tip the scales at 82 pounds (37 kg) and will likely have a retail price of about $99. Austin Beerworks plans to put its first 99-pack on store shelves this week.

"We made it at first as a joke," said Michael Graham, co-founder of the Austin-based craft brewery. But it seems a lot of people are taking it seriously.

Despite not being an easy fit for store shelves, interest has been high among retailers for the 99-packs, which are too big for home refrigerators but designed so that once a pack is opened, the beer can be covered in ice.

The company plans to ship about 20 of the massive packs a week.

"You might want to share this with about 33 of your friends," Graham said.

(Editing by Eric Walsh)

FORD
08-27-2014, 12:47 PM
Haven't tried this company's products (or even heard of them before today), but I would probably more inclined to buy a 99 pack of their "Black Thunder" or the "Fire Eagle IPA", if they made them.....

http://austinbeerworks.com/beer/

Kristy
08-27-2014, 12:56 PM
Stupid. But I'll give them credit for having the lame marketing skills to sell their shit beer.

cadaverdog
08-27-2014, 01:16 PM
A little over 9 gallons of beer for $99? Not a bargain. I don't know what the quality of this beer is but I know you can buy a keg (15.5 gallons) of Bud Light for the same price. I'm not a beer connoisseur but if I'm gonna drink it I prefer it from a bottle or a glass. The average price for a case of Bud Light (24 cans) is around $15. 4 cases (96 cans) are about $60. If they put as much effort into their brewing the beer as they did into designing the cans and such it probably tastes pretty nasty.

FORD
08-27-2014, 01:28 PM
This being Texas, I'm guessing they just went with the idea that most of their customers would own pickup trucks with beds long enough to hold a 7 ft long 99 pack of beer. A keg might actually be easier to transport, but for whatever reasons might not always be practical to have the whole hardware setup with the taps, etc.

Can't speak to the quality as I haven't tried it, but they are a small craft brewery, so it's going to be better than Bud/Miller/Coors pisswater at the very least. Or Lone Star, this being Texas. :gulp:

DONNIEP
08-27-2014, 01:33 PM
Too bad they don't sell this at the Walmart in the town. I'd roll down there, drop the top and drive out with that 7 foot long fucker sticking up from the front floor board across the back deck. I like that you can put ice down in there on the beers. But you'd still have to get out of the damn car to grab a refill. Which kinda sucks.

cadaverdog
08-27-2014, 02:36 PM
This being Texas, I'm guessing they just went with the idea that most of their customers would own pickup trucks with beds long enough to hold a 7 ft long 99 pack of beer. A keg might actually be easier to transport, but for whatever reasons might not always be practical to have the whole hardware setup with the taps, etc.

Can't speak to the quality as I haven't tried it, but they are a small craft brewery, so it's going to be better than Bud/Miller/Coors pisswater at the very least. Or Lone Star, this being Texas. :gulp:
You been watching too many movies. They don't all drive pick up trucks. They don't all wear cowboy hat and boot and hang out a Gilley's. Just because it's a small operation doesn't mean the beer doesn't taste like panther piss. Don't most small craft breweries bottle their beer?

cadaverdog
08-27-2014, 02:39 PM
Too bad they don't sell this at the Walmart in the town. I'd roll down there, drop the top and drive out with that 7 foot long fucker sticking up from the front floor board across the back deck. I like that you can put ice down in there on the beers. But you'd still have to get out of the damn car to grab a refill. Which kinda sucks.
The Walmart neighborhood grocery stores I mentioned in another post don't sell beer, wine or booze of any kind. They sell mixers and such but you gotta buy your alcohol somewhere else.

FORD
08-27-2014, 02:44 PM
You been watching too many movies. They don't all drive pick up trucks. They don't all wear cowboy hat and boot and hang out a Gilley's. Just because it's a small operation doesn't mean the beer doesn't taste like panther piss. Don't most small craft breweries bottle their beer?

Cans are starting to work their way into microbreweries. Sierra Nevada & Red Hook are releasing some of their stuff in cans now. Bought some scotch ale in cans a few weeks back. It was alright, but I still prefer Pike's Kilt Lifter Ale over it.

I would probably still buy bottles most of the time myself, but I could see practical uses for good beer in a can, like camping/fishing trips where you use the river or lake as a "cooler" and there's always the risk of glass + rock + current.

cadaverdog
08-27-2014, 03:17 PM
I'd almost be willing to bet most people who aren't beer snobs would think this beer tastes horrible. There are times when I enjoy a nice ice cold beer but I can't say I've ever tasted a beer that tasted good. Some beer tastes better than others. Some taste worse. If I'm drinking beer it's not because I enjoy the taste it's because I want to catch a buzz. I see no purpose for non alcohol beer.

DONNIEP
08-27-2014, 03:49 PM
Cans are starting to work their way into microbreweries. Sierra Nevada & Red Hook are releasing some of their stuff in cans now. Bought some scotch ale in cans a few weeks back. It was alright, but I still prefer Pike's Kilt Lifter Ale over it.

I would probably still buy bottles most of the time myself, but I could see practical uses for good beer in a can, like camping/fishing trips where you use the river or lake as a "cooler" and there's always the risk of glass + rock + current.

Ah, I don't drink out of bottles unless I have to. They're fragile, they make a hell of a racket when you toss em in the can, and when you have a trash bag full they're just too damn cumbersome. Besides, if you knock a beer can over all it's gonna do is spill. Bump your bottle off the table by the pool and now you've done gone and fucked up a perfectly good afternoon and you gotta listen to how somebody's gonna get a piece of glass in their foot blah blah blah.

Give me cheap beer in a can and I'm good.

ZahZoo
08-27-2014, 04:02 PM
Checked with a buddy of mine in Austin... he says he's drank about every style of beer this place makes and they're all great!!

Seshmeister
08-27-2014, 04:19 PM
I don't know what the quality of this beer is but I know you can buy a keg (15.5 gallons) of Bud Light for the same price. I'm not a beer connoisseur...

We knew that the second you mentioned Bud Light. :)

cadaverdog
08-27-2014, 04:21 PM
Checked with a buddy of mine in Austin... he says he's drank about every style of beer this place makes and they're all great!!
A bunch of famous people used to say Lite beer from Miller tasted great. It didn't. It seems to me people who like craft beers don't like domestic beer and vice versa. This beer might taste better than Budweiser but I'm fairly sure it wouldn't to me. I've tried craft beers and stuff like Samuel Adams and I can't say I would prefer drinking any of them over Bud if I drank beer on a regular basis.

FORD
08-27-2014, 04:28 PM

Next time I'm at "Total Wine", I'll look for their stuff. They might actually carry it, since they have all sorts of shit there. Just don't go there often because they're at the mall. And I hate the fucking mall... even though that store has an outside entrance.

WACF
08-27-2014, 04:34 PM
A little over 9 gallons of beer for $99? Not a bargain. I don't know what the quality of this beer is but I know you can buy a keg (15.5 gallons) of Bud Light for the same price. I'm not a beer connoisseur but if I'm gonna drink it I prefer it from a bottle or a glass. The average price for a case of Bud Light (24 cans) is around $15. 4 cases (96 cans) are about $60. If they put as much effort into their brewing the beer as they did into designing the cans and such it probably tastes pretty nasty.

Bud light is not beer....

PETE'S BROTHER
08-27-2014, 04:39 PM

labatts is :hee:

cadaverdog
08-27-2014, 04:57 PM
We knew that the second you mentioned Bud Light. :)
I don't always drink beer. But when I do is was brewed and bottled about a mile from here at Budweiser.
As I've said I really don't like beer and I don't drink it unless I'm wanting to catch a beer buzz. Unless I'm at a ball game or a race I rarely drink beer at all. I drank my fair share and several other people fair shares when I was younger.

cadaverdog
08-27-2014, 05:03 PM
Maybe, but it catches me a buzz when I drink it. I used to drink Canadian Beer too but it doesn't taste good either IMO. If you really want to taste nasty beer try Singha from Thailand. Probably the most undrinkable beer I've ever tasted.