View Full Version : Billy Idol Has A New Album Coming Out October 21st

Von Halen
08-28-2014, 03:07 PM
Here is the first single.

http://billyidol.net/kings-queens-of-the-underground/

FORD
08-28-2014, 06:55 PM
Ugh.....

Sounds like some Blink 182 shit with the bubblegummy chorus. And no Steve Stevens solo?

Considering Billy is now in that "one album per decade" category that so many aging rock stars are in, I expected more from him. Hope the rest of the album sounds more like him.

lesfunk
08-28-2014, 06:58 PM
Von I don't come to you with my problems...

twonabomber
08-28-2014, 07:47 PM
That doesn't sound like an Idol/Stevens composition. There were only three songs on Devil's Playground co-written by Idol and Stevens but those sounded a lot harder than this does. I'll probably go if the tour stops here, maybe they'll play the Hard Rock Rocksino or the HOB.

Von Halen
08-28-2014, 10:01 PM
Von I don't come to you with my problems...

Well...feel free FunkyLes!

Kristy
08-28-2014, 10:11 PM
Golly!

It's like 1985 never ended for you, Von.

Seshmeister
08-28-2014, 10:17 PM
You do realize that there are a whole new generation that think of you as an old lady? Of course you do, nothing makes that hit home stronger than being a 'mature' student.

Remember how cool and full of the joys you were in 2000?

That's how Von felt in 1985... :D

Getting older is sucky, at least the old farts here realize that. :)

Seshmeister
08-28-2014, 10:19 PM
Plus of course men often get more attractive as they get older, women often less so... ;)

Kristy
08-28-2014, 10:23 PM
You do realize that there are a whole new generation that think of you as an old lady? Of course you do, nothing makes that hit home stronger than being a 'mature' student.

Geritol not working for ya?

Seshmeister
08-28-2014, 10:30 PM
Geritol not working for ya?

I had to Google it. :)

Vitamin supplements are almost all a scam.

I'm fitter now than I was 15 years ago although I guess that's a bit relative.

I can also do a couple of pretty damn good card tricks, you like that kind of thing? ;)

Nitro Express
08-29-2014, 01:13 AM
When I hear Billy Idol music I start to smell the smells of the club scene in the 80's. The cigarette smoke, the hair spray, the perfume, the wine coolers, the fog from the fog machine. Thee was a certain smell to it.

Jérôme Frenchise
09-04-2014, 12:19 PM
I still play my copy of "Rebel Yell" on vinyle that I play once or twice a year and pretty loud.
And yes, brings me back to ol' '85 every time, and it doesn't feel bad either. :D

WACF
09-04-2014, 01:09 PM

Time does fly...

For me it's been 15 years of following some of the same people on these forums because of a band that peaked in the 80's.

DONNIEP
09-04-2014, 01:18 PM
Ah, I like it.

Seshmeister
09-04-2014, 03:56 PM
Time does fly...

For me it's been 15 years of following some of the same people on these forums because of a band that peaked in the 80's.

Another odd one is playing 'What was Roth doing at my age?'.

When you first came here it was recording EEAS. At the moment you are in the wilderness before going on tour with Hagar in a couple of years... :)

Angel
09-04-2014, 04:14 PM
Another odd one is playing 'What was Roth doing at my age?'.

When you first came here it was recording EEAS. At the moment you are in the wilderness before going on tour with Hagar in a couple of years... :)
Or in Zah's case, getting a fuck of a lot of tattoos. ;)

Mr. Vengeance
09-04-2014, 10:43 PM
You hit a certain age and you realize that no matter what you do, you'll never feel the same as you did when you were a kid. Van Halen put out an album after so many years and as much as I liked it, it just never felt the same as when I was slapping that copy of Women and Children First on the turntable. No music by great bands that come out now will make me feel as great as they did then. The Ramones could all be resurected and make a new album and it will never make me feel like when I first heard Road to Ruin......

Seshmeister
09-05-2014, 08:28 AM
This is why tribute acts do so well.

Kristy
09-05-2014, 04:29 PM
You hit a certain age and you realize that no matter what you do, you'll never feel the same as you did when you were a kid. Van Halen put out an album after so many years and as much as I liked it, it just never felt the same as when I was slapping that copy of Women and Children First on the turntable. No music by great bands that come out now will make me feel as great as they did then. The Ramones could all be resurected and make a new album and it will never make me feel like when I first heard Road to Ruin......

Is this an excerpt from your forthcoming book What It's Like Being Over 40 And Still Living With Your Parents?

Mushroom
09-05-2014, 05:02 PM
What It's Like Being Over 40 And Still Playing With Your Penis

You shouldn't have:clock:

Von Halen
09-05-2014, 05:05 PM
Hey Mushroom, what is that supposed to mean? I'm way over 40, and I still play with my penis.

Kristy
09-05-2014, 05:18 PM
It means you're senile, Von.

Mushroom
09-05-2014, 05:24 PM
Hey I just typed the first thing that came to my mind :)

FORD
09-05-2014, 07:24 PM
Well, it's a Billy Idol thread, so here's the obligatory video from when his music was better....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e1ER6HZxZc

lesfunk
09-06-2014, 04:47 AM
He was always a poseur to me.

Mr. Vengeance
09-06-2014, 09:30 AM
Is this an excerpt from your forthcoming book What It's Like Being Over 40 And Still Living With Your Parents?

Oh boy...Kristy with another fresh and original, "You still live in your mom's basement" blast!!

And she complains about all of us being stuck in the past......

Angel
09-06-2014, 10:17 AM
Damn...I wish I vould live in mom's basement. Low rent, no bills, etc....

Kristy
09-06-2014, 06:30 PM
Oh boy...Kristy with another fresh and original, "You still live in your mom's basement" blast!!

And she complains about all of us being stuck in the past......

You just can't compliment an up and coming author these days.

smorgdonkey
09-06-2014, 08:10 PM
You just can't compliment an up and coming author these days.

I miss your other avatar.

Kristy
09-07-2014, 12:15 AM
So does the baby Jesus.

twonabomber
11-01-2014, 07:01 AM
Picked this up the other day. It's okay I guess, not an immediate like so far. Kind of like being underwhelmed by Whiplash Smile after Rebel Yell. Might take some time to grow on me. I liked Devil's Playground right from the beginning.

Postcards From The Past is close to vintage Idol. Reminds me of Rebel Yell. The title track is Idol's "Damn Good." Kind of corny dropping your own song titles into a song though. Whiskey and Pills is good too.

Trevor Horn produced and brought Geoff Downes in to play keys. Another 80's flashback. More like "what for?" At least there are no Art Of Noise samples on this.

Mr. Vengeance
11-02-2014, 11:31 AM
Picked this up the other day. It's okay I guess, not an immediate like so far. Kind of like being underwhelmed by Whiplash Smile after Rebel Yell. Might take some time to grow on me. I liked Devil's Playground right from the beginning.

Postcards From The Past is close to vintage Idol. Reminds me of Rebel Yell. The title track is Idol's "Damn Good." Kind of corny dropping your own song titles into a song though. Whiskey and Pills is good too.

Trevor Horn produced and brought Geoff Downes in to play keys. Another 80's flashback. More like "what for?" At least there are no Art Of Noise samples on this.

I thought the exact same thing when I first listened to this. Reminds me also of the first time I heard Whiplash Smile, expecting it to sound like Rebel Yell. I expected something similar to Devil's Playground, and it's not very similar. And, like WS, with repeated listens it is growing on me. I like Can't Break Me Down very much. This whole album is quite 80s sounding.