PDA

View Full Version : Richard Feynman - Los Alamos From Below

Seshmeister
09-05-2014, 10:16 PM
Richard Feynman - Los Alamos From Below

Published on 5 Sep 2013
A fantastic talk Dr. Feynman gave on the interesting experiences he had, working on the bomb at Los Alamos.

Seshmeister
09-05-2014, 10:24 PM
Possibly the most amazing American that ever lived...

SunisinuS
09-06-2014, 01:29 AM
You cannot use your foot to compress Ice to make it Slippery:

vandeleur
09-06-2014, 02:13 AM
Possibly the most amazing American that ever lived...

Man , so Richard do you wanna a sneaky short with your pint.. :)

vandeleur
09-06-2014, 02:19 AM
This sounds funny , most scientist come from certain back grounds . Yeah a massive generalisation I know . Listening to the Los alamos below he sounds like he could be discussing goodfellas :)

Nitro Express
09-06-2014, 04:00 AM
Reminds me of this old GM lubrication film from the 30's where they go into the minute details of how ice skates work.

ELVIS
09-06-2014, 09:04 AM
:yawn:

Seshmeister
09-06-2014, 09:20 AM
Shush sweetie, this is a bit above your IQ level.

ELVIS
09-06-2014, 08:30 PM
It's old news to me, bitch...

Seshmeister
09-08-2014, 08:56 AM
Feynman lived in Pasadena in the 70s and 80s and one of his favorite pastimes was to hang around in strip clubs painting the dancers.

I wonder if he ever ran into Roth? :)

vandeleur
09-09-2014, 12:05 AM
obviously watching these makes you revisit the Challenger incident.
O rings and cold shrinks rubber mmmm , pity nasa had so many people who studied accountancy and not more people who had studied physics:)

Seshmeister
09-09-2014, 06:29 AM
There is a good argument that the whole space shuttle program was shitty. Way too expensive, far far fewer flights than was planned and 2 disasters in only 200 missions.

ZahZoo
09-09-2014, 09:12 AM
I think people really don't understand how enormously difficult it is to successfully launch a vehicle capable of supporting human life and return it safely back to earth.

If it were as easy as many assume... the private sector would have all kinds of people and things in space and/or earth orbit.

50 years ago when we were in the infancy of space exploration and setting our sights on the moon... people envisioned that in the early 21st century that we'd all be flying around like George Jetson or Captain Kirk... well that didn't happen and we're still driving around on rubber tires in death traps powered by internal combustion engines powered by fossil fuels...

It's not for lack of technology and understanding physics... nor mismanagement of available resources. It takes an enormous amount of energy to break the grip of gravity just move something off the ground. Until we can develop something that is safe, stable and cost effective... we're left with the dangerous stuff we have. Once outside the Earth's atmosphere... there's a whole myriad of challenge with radiation, space debris and life support which doesn't come cheap nor easy...

Angel
09-09-2014, 09:56 AM
I want my Jetson's vehicle...dammit!

Seshmeister
09-09-2014, 11:11 AM
I think people really don't understand how enormously difficult it is to successfully launch a vehicle capable of supporting human life and return it safely back to earth.

I admit that criticizing the space shuttle is the ultimate in armchair quarterbacking. :D

It does have a whole page on Wikki though... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_the_Space_Shuttle_program

ZahZoo
09-09-2014, 01:38 PM
LOL yeah I'd say so... plus current science-fiction special effects in movies and TV make it all look so easy and simple.

I worked on a few Space Shuttle related projects back in the late 80's/early 90's and got to interact with some damn smart NASA engineers. It wasn't much of the fun stuff... just setting up dedicated networks and developing multiprocessor computing environments for them to run simulations.

I did get to meet and chat with Gene Kranz (famous Apollo Flight Director) who spoke at a leadership conference at my company... Most interesting character I've ever met!!