PDA

View Full Version : Holder...out

twonabomber
09-25-2014, 11:46 AM
Eric Holder resigning as attorney general, official says

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Attorney General Eric Holder is resigning after heading the Justice Department for six years.

The White House said Thursday that President Barack Obama planned to announce Holder's departure later Thursday. The White House said Holder plans to remain at the Justice Department until his successor is in place.

The 63-year-old former judge and prosecutor took office in early 2009 as the U.S. government grappled with the worst financial crisis in decades and with divisive questions on the handling of captured terrorism suspects, issues that helped shape his six-year tenure as the country's top law enforcement official. He is the fourth-longest serving attorney general in U.S. history.

In his first few years on the job, Holder endured a succession of firestorms over, among other things, an ultimately-abandoned plan to try terrorism suspects in New York City, a botched gun-running probe along the Southwest border that prompted Republican calls for his resignation, and a perceived failure to hold banks accountable for the economic meltdown.

But he stayed on after President Barack Obama won re-election, turning in his final stretch to issues that he said were personally important to him. He promoted voting rights and legal benefits for same-sex couples and pushed for changes to a criminal justice system that he said meted out punishment disproportionately to minorities.

NPR was first to report his departure.

twonabomber
09-25-2014, 11:48 AM
Supposedly to be announced at a "formal" event...why? Don't sit there and mention his "accomplishments," which really aren't.

A formal event is as lame as a "goodbye" thread here.

Nitro Express
09-25-2014, 11:49 AM
Let's hope it's a big rat jumping ship because the ship is now on fire and sinking. Holder's biggest accomplishment so far is avoiding jail.

FORD
09-25-2014, 12:13 PM
If Obama had any sense, he would put John Edwards or Elliot Spitzer in the job immediately. And keep them fully supplied with whores as long as they did their job right.

Nitro Express
09-25-2014, 02:09 PM
Obama got the shitty end of the stick but is too stupid to realize it. I don't really think Barrack or Barry or whoever the hell he really is is enjoying his life all that much right now. Vallerie Jarret is though.

Hardrock69
09-25-2014, 08:13 PM
Oh I don't think he is that stupid, but of course one cannot actually know what it is like to be POTUS without actually being one. Once you are in, you are in.

This is why they all age terribly in 4 or 8 years.

Seshmeister
09-25-2014, 08:51 PM
I assumed this was going to be a thread about the band Slade... :)

FORD
09-25-2014, 09:11 PM
Noddy probably would have done a better job.

Nitro Express
09-26-2014, 02:48 AM
Oh I don't think he is that stupid, but of course one cannot actually know what it is like to be POTUS without actually being one. Once you are in, you are in.

This is why they all age terribly in 4 or 8 years.

Oh Barrack Obama has the polish an education gives you. I think he's a fast learner but you can be intelligent and still be played like a fiddle. He has an enormous ego like many presidents tend to have and anyone with a big ego is easy to manipulate. Valerie Jarrett is driving the train. She's the boss. Dubya. Obama. We have four terms of aloof presidents in a row all during very critical and challenging times for the US. Not good. Thank goodness the other world leaders have patience because we are lucky these two idiots haven't sparked larger conflicts.