PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear attacked

Seshmeister
10-04-2014, 09:46 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/top-gear/11140617/Jeremy-Clarkson-Someone-could-have-been-killed-after-Top-Gear-attacked-in-Argentina.html

Jeremy Clarkson: Someone could have been killed after Top Gear attacked in Argentina
Presenter Jeremy Clarkson describes the attack on the Top Gear team in Argentina as "the most terrifying thing I've ever been involved in", after crew had to flee the country

Presenter Jeremy Clarkson has described the moment the Top Gear cast and crew were attacked by an angry crowd in Argentina as "the most terrifying thing I've ever been involved in", and warned that “someone could have been killed”.
The star and his crew on the BBC show had to abandon their cars at the roadside as they were pelted with stones.
Trouble erupted after it emerged the team were using a Porsche with the registration number H982 FKL, which some people suggested could refer to the Falklands conflict of 1982.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03060/topgear1_3060923k.jpg

Mr Clarkson said the mob shouted "burn their cars" and tried to attack them with pickaxe handles.

He told The Sun: "I've been to Iraq and Afghanistan, but this was the most terrifying thing I've ever been involved in.
Mr Clarkson wrote on Twitter that “someone could have been killed” during the violence, adding: “For once, we did nothing wrong.”

He also thanked on Twitter those who had helped him and “the sensible Argentinians who have apologised”, before saying that their dramatic departure had provided an even better ending to their show.

DONNIEP
10-04-2014, 10:17 AM
I say we send the American Top Gear crew to Argentina. Hopefully they wouldn't make it out.

cadaverdog
10-04-2014, 02:16 PM
According to several sources on the internet the U S version of Top Gear was cancelled recently but none of the articles I've seen so far are from legitimate news agencies.

twonabomber
10-04-2014, 02:39 PM
Hey, Argentina...too soon?

Seshmeister
10-04-2014, 04:10 PM
According to several sources on the internet the U S version of Top Gear was cancelled recently but none of the articles I've seen so far are from legitimate news agencies.

I know the format has been sold to many other countries I would guess the UK one is best because on the BBC if they think a car is shit they say so without having to worry about losing advertising.

Kristy
10-04-2014, 05:21 PM
So some Frankenstein-jawed limey who drives cars that cost more than life itself was "attacked" was he? Who gives fuck on a hovercraft? 'Top Queer' is uber, uber, uber ghey. "Porsche goes fast, huh?" Goes to show you the only shit worse on culture than American TV is Limey TV.

Nitro Express
10-06-2014, 03:05 AM
I know the format has been sold to many other countries I would guess the UK one is best because on the BBC if they think a car is shit they say so without having to worry about losing advertising.

What makes the show is the British cast. It's the three guys on the show who make the show. I don't want to watch American Top Gear. I want to watch Jeremy Clarkson teasing James May and ripping on some lame American car.

VetteLS5
10-06-2014, 01:04 PM
It really is one of the better shows on cable. This incident reminds me a little of the episode where they had to drive through the south in used cars and part of the challenge was they could "decorate" each other's car. So, one painted "country music sucks" and "nascar sucks" on the others, and one said "hillary for president", etc.

A bunch of Donnie's cousins at a gas station threatened to run them out of town.

Nitro Express
10-06-2014, 03:28 PM
If James May got killed, Jeremy Clarkson would just go,"Oh. They killed James May. Now about the Porsche 928. Here in Argentina…."

cadaverdog
10-06-2014, 05:02 PM
It really is one of the better shows on cable. This incident reminds me a little of the episode where they had to drive through the south in used cars and part of the challenge was they could "decorate" each other's car. So, one painted "country music sucks" and "nascar sucks" on the others, and one said "hillary for president", etc.

A bunch of Donnie's cousins at a gas station threatened to run them out of town.
Saying Nascar sucks in North Carolina is a hanging offense.

Seshmeister
10-06-2014, 06:09 PM

Yeah apparently it was the NASCAR message that really pushed Donnie and pals over the edge... :)

Kristy
10-06-2014, 06:25 PM
This is why limeys are such fucking pricks.

Seshmeister
10-06-2014, 07:40 PM
Racist! :)

Kristy
10-06-2014, 10:25 PM

For the last fucking time, limeys are not a race but a culture. Know the god damn difference. Is there a race of Yanks somewhere?

Are you Craig Ferguson all of the sudden?

Nitro Express
10-07-2014, 12:28 AM
Annoying limeys is what makes the show. Their day is coming though. One of these times they won't be so lucky.

vandeleur
10-07-2014, 02:15 AM

Fuck n ell you get dumped by one Limey and you will not let it go :)

Seshmeister
10-07-2014, 05:38 AM
For the last fucking time, limeys are not a race but a culture. Know the god damn difference. Is there a race of Yanks somewhere?

Are you Craig Ferguson all of the sudden?

No but I do sound a bit like him. :)

I've always thought limey meant English not British? It's a term used by Australians as well so maybe they can clarify too?

Are Scottish people limeys?

Seshmeister
10-07-2014, 05:40 AM
Annoying limeys is what makes the show. Their day is coming though. One of these times they won't be so lucky.

They would have been sacked a while ago if the show didn't make the BBC so much money.

The BBC is toothless these days, terrified of it's own shadow because big media and the government want it gone.

Seshmeister
10-07-2014, 05:41 AM

I knew a girl who hated all Americans because one dumped her - 15 years later she would rant at the TV if an American came on. :)

Angel
10-07-2014, 09:16 AM

I've always thought limey meant English not British? It's a term used by Australians as well so maybe they can clarify too?

I always thought Limey's were English. Nope, that doesn't include Scots. ;)

Kristy
10-07-2014, 11:17 AM

No. Scottish people are not as funny as they believe themselves to be.
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2014/news/140512/craig-ferguson-300.jpg
"I'm ten million dollars richer thanks to you Yankee fucks."

Limey unequivocally means English. Traveling to the south of all places to be nothing but antagonistic towards the locals in order to prove some sort of trope and/or stereotype of the south is fucking stupid AND was used for promotional purposes. Were they expecting to be met with open arms (you know, like the Journey song?) Moreover, that Jeremy dude is one ugly man. Him professing himself to be "bi" will never increase his chances of getting laid. That show IS uber super-duper ghey.

Kristy
10-07-2014, 11:25 AM

Shenanigans. Whenever I'm faced talking to a Scottish person I bring a knife to cut through those thick accents in order to comprehend what they are saying.

Kristy
10-07-2014, 11:26 AM

Don't recall ever dating a limey. Just a frozen hillbilly Canadian.

vandeleur
10-07-2014, 11:36 AM
Thought Limey was a term for a British sailor blah blah .

Am guessing I don't count as a Limey on account of you couldn't understand a word I was saying :D

Kristy
10-07-2014, 11:39 AM
Ha! You're a Geordie.

Kristy
10-07-2014, 11:41 AM
All clicks and pops to me:

Nitro Express
10-07-2014, 12:02 PM

Was he stiff?

WACF
10-07-2014, 12:07 PM

That's just weird....

I don't remember you.

Nickdfresh
10-07-2014, 12:17 PM
What makes the show is the British cast. It's the three guys on the show who make the show. I don't want to watch American Top Gear. I want to watch Jeremy Clarkson teasing James May and ripping on some lame American car.

Interestingly, I think at least two of the three own American cars and Clarkson had a Ford GT series specially imported. He also said, as awful as some of the fit and finish was (the seat belt broke while filming LOL), he'd rather buy a Chevy Corvette over an Audi supercar simply because it was just more fun to drive.....

Nickdfresh
10-07-2014, 12:19 PM

I don't always agree with Kristy, and I do like Clarkson, but he can be a rather racist/classist prick himself. And he likes fucking Post-Peter Gabriel Genesis!..

Nickdfresh
10-07-2014, 12:24 PM
Hey, Argentina...too soon?

You have no idea. The other place I mod at they had to make the forum secret and password protected due to the ongoing psychosis...

Nitro Express
10-07-2014, 12:25 PM
No. Scottish people are not as funny as they believe themselves to be.
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2014/news/140512/craig-ferguson-300.jpg
"I'm ten million dollars richer thanks to you Yankee fucks."

Limey unequivocally means English. Traveling to the south of all places to be nothing but antagonistic towards the locals in order to prove some sort of trope and/or stereotype of the south is fucking stupid AND was used for promotional purposes. Were they expecting to be met with open arms (you know, like the Journey song?) Moreover, that Jeremy dude is one ugly man. Him professing himself to be "bi" will never increase his chances of getting laid. That show IS uber super-duper ghey.

The BBC has an anti-American bias. In fact one person who used to play tennis with one of the BBC directors said the man had a livid hate for the US. Jeremy Clarkson constantly slags the US if you've watched enough Top Gear. Probably trying to get a raise. Whatever. Top Gear is a stupid show but I find it entertaining. One of these days the cast will probably end up being someone's dinner in New Guinea because they pissed off the locals with their smug limey attitudes.

Nickdfresh
10-07-2014, 12:27 PM

I don't have the Wiki notes, but I recall you ranting about the Brit guy with bad teeth you dated and had a bad breakup with. Perhaps Sesh does too...

vandeleur
10-07-2014, 12:30 PM
I don't have the Wiki notes, but I recall you ranting about the Brit guy with bad teeth you dated and had a bad breakup with. Perhaps Sesh does too...

I thought I had read that

Nickdfresh
10-07-2014, 12:31 PM
...Jeremy Clarkson constantly slags the US if you've watched enough Top Gear...

That's not totally true, I think he slags everybody but I suspect is a closeted Yankeeophile...

Jérôme Frenchise
10-07-2014, 12:32 PM
I don't always agree with Kristy, and I do like Clarkson, but he can be a rather racist/classist prick himself. And he likes fucking Post-Peter Gabriel Genesis!..

I have to put up with the British version of Top Gear once in a while, for the kids (who are teens and fond of cars and that show).

I don't particularly like cars, but I must admit the show is rather entertaining (when it isn't just whatever).

Yet Clarkson completely pisses me off. That guy is always a prick to me, whatever it is about. I think he's a self-conceited, boring cunt.
And the other two must cash in a lot to stand him...

vandeleur
10-07-2014, 12:39 PM
That's not totally true, I think he slags everybody but I suspect is a closeted Yankeeophile...

This will get me stoned but I recognise clarksons attitude to the U.S. And have seen it in other British people views.
American good stuff is fucking out of this world but your crap is beyond compare if that makes sense .
Britain goes for mediocre it's ok or meh .

Nitro Express
10-07-2014, 12:40 PM

Jeremy will give the US a fair shake if he really likes a car from here but he constantly bashes the US. Doesn't bother me. Clarkson is supposed to be annoying and full of himself. James is the Geek. Jeremy is the Hoodlum. Richard is just kind of there.

vandeleur
10-07-2014, 12:44 PM
I think he bashes everything , it's his thing to take the piss out of stuff

Nitro Express
10-07-2014, 12:54 PM
This will get me stoned but I recognise clarksons attitude to the U.S. And have seen it in other British people views.
American good stuff is fucking out of this world but your crap is beyond compare if that makes sense .

Britain got outsourced before the US did. The fat cats in London figured out they could make more money manipulating markets than running companies. So they liquidated or outsourced. I can remember when cutlery from Sheffield was considered top quality. Everyone wanted a Jaguar with a V12 or a British motorcycle. Also, British sound equipment was considered top notch. Then of course they started doing the same thing here.

Interestingly enough Germany never got outsourced as bad and of course it's the last economic engine in the EU. China is the world's factory now. It's got the pollution too.

Nitro Express
10-07-2014, 12:58 PM
I think he bashes everything , it's his thing to take the piss out of stuff

When you watch television you just kind of want to turn your brain off and be entertained. Jeremy has gotten a few laughs out of me. I like the show. Yeah you actually can learn a few things about cars but the show is for entertainment. Let's buy some clunkers cheap and see who can make it through the jungle and over the mountains without getting killed.

Kristy
10-07-2014, 01:01 PM

Could have been that guy who claimed to work for the BBC and had a detest for Paul Weller. Knew some limeys but never would date one.

VetteLS5
10-07-2014, 01:07 PM

Kristy dated Flappo? Suddenly things are becoming more clear...

Kristy
10-07-2014, 01:08 PM
Scares me you cretins know more about my love life than I do.

Nickdfresh
10-07-2014, 01:36 PM

Except for cars, Brit cars go from leaky to utter shit :D I think what Clarkson likes about American cars at their best is that they're drivers cars rather than techno-shit that insulates you and compensates what a fucking shit, pansy driver some people with money in BMW's/Mercedes/Porches are...

I recall him slagging the typical BMW driver as someone that has enough money to not know what their doing... :D

Kristy
10-07-2014, 04:17 PM
On a irrelevant note, shit is looking up for me. Just took my mid-term AND there is a local weed store opening in my neighborhood (going from medicinal to retail). No more driving downtown to "get da shit."

Now, isn't that wonderful? Say, unlike the majority of you cretins in your white trash no fun redneck states. It's not that I feel for you or anything.

VetteLS5
10-07-2014, 04:31 PM
Now, isn't that wonderful? Say, unlike the majority of you cretins in your white trash no fun redneck states. It's not that I feel for you or anything.

We've got white trash fer sher, and plenty o' rednecks. But, we also have FUN, FUN, FUN!

Kristy
10-07-2014, 05:06 PM
What do rednecks do for fun? Besides beat up on minorities?

FORD
10-07-2014, 05:15 PM

:sheepshagger:

Seshmeister
10-07-2014, 07:04 PM
Except for cars, Brit cars go from leaky to utter shit :D

They definitely used to be which is why they all disappeared.

What Brit cars are you talking about now? It's mainly just luxury cars being made in the UK these days or foreign cars being manufactured there like Toyota UK.

twonabomber
10-07-2014, 07:13 PM
Yeah, luxury cars made by brands owned by BMW and Volkswagen. And those Indians, too!

Went to a car show a couple weeks ago. They had the dragstrip open. Some guy raced his supercharged Jag 4 door and did pretty good.

Seshmeister
10-07-2014, 07:54 PM
I got myself a used Jag a couple of months ago. Super comfortable and quiet but uses up gas like it's the 1970s...

Talking of Top Gear I'm not sure where it would end up on the 'cool wall' but I like it. :)

Nickdfresh
10-07-2014, 08:28 PM
They definitely used to be which is why they all disappeared.

What Brit cars are you talking about now? It's mainly just luxury cars being made in the UK these days or foreign cars being manufactured there like Toyota UK.

I'm talking about what you're talking about :D

The last out-and-out British car for the masses sold here prior to Mini's rebirth and not called a Jag was the Sterling, essentially a rebadged Honda Accord/Acura Britain somehow managed to turn into a total piece of garage queen shit! ;)

We do have the Minis here, but of course those are mainly BMW's engineering. I think they're well thought of mainly and my brother had one that he modded with supercharging and cold air induction and all that shit, but I would much rather have the actual British aircooled one for the 70's, which were modestly popular here. There's Jag, but Ford (before Tata) actually improved the quality control vastly, when they were suffering from a lot of quality control issues :D

There still are the odd classic Triumphs and MG's that were and to some extent still are beloved, but it's a pity they couldn't turn it around. I recall they were fairly popular here in the 70's. The Mazda MX-5 Miata and BMW Z roadsters still enjoy popularity with older men based on those cars to this day, and the Miata is about 137X more reliable...

But fuck, I basically drive a Vauxhall... :)

Seshmeister
10-07-2014, 09:06 PM
The Mazda MX-5 Miata and BMW Z roadsters still enjoy popularity with older men based on those cars to this day, and the Miata is about 137X more reliable...

But fuck, I basically drive a Vauxhall... :)

A few years ago my small bald 60 year old accountant bought a BMW Z roadster but had to get rid of it after a few weeks because everyone in the office was sarcastically calling him 'James Bond'. :)

My days of spending a lot on cars and driving too fast are behind me but I do still like to find something with a little bit of character if possible.

Nickdfresh
10-07-2014, 09:20 PM
A few years ago my small bald 60 year old accountant bought a BMW Z roadster but had to get rid of it after a few weeks because everyone in the office was sarcastically calling him 'James Bond'. :)

My days of spending a lot on cars and driving too fast are behind me but I do still like to find something with a little bit of character if possible.

I feel the same way. Few people know what kind of car I had as it was the now shuttered GM division of Saturn that made a last ditch effort to survive by become Opel or North America. Unfortunately Buick took that mantle. I really like the Astra because I like stick hatches, something that is fairly uncommon here and it just came along at the right time as a friend was working finance at a dealership when it came in and it was a fraction of the VW Rabbit GTi I was looking at. Sometimes I do wish they had imported the 260-hp turbocharged version, but those days are pretty much behind me...

Seshmeister
10-07-2014, 09:50 PM
That's funny over here a stick shift Vauxhall Astra is one of the biggest selling cars of all time, in 2010 it was the second biggest selling car in the country. :)

Kristy
10-07-2014, 10:41 PM
Then no wonder as to why this douche praises them.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Q879GVZ9L.jpg

Nickdfresh
10-07-2014, 10:57 PM
That's funny over here a stick shift Vauxhall Astra is one of the biggest selling cars of all time, in 2010 it was the second biggest selling car in the country. :)

They're now Buick Veranos here, no hatch just saloon. They do have the turbo for that one...

Seshmeister
10-07-2014, 11:27 PM
Back in the 90s a friend nearly killed himself in a FIAT Uno Turbo which he described as a rocket powered skateboard. He crashed into the side of a house. :D

Putting 250bhp into a light cheap car without the brakes, steering, safety features or traction control of an upmarket car is a bit silly.

Nitro Express
10-08-2014, 01:31 AM
I got myself a used Jag a couple of months ago. Super comfortable and quiet but uses up gas like it's the 1970s...

Talking of Top Gear I'm not sure where it would end up on the 'cool wall' but I like it. :)

Ford used to own Jaguar and Land Rover. I think they made some improvements to the Jaguar brand before they sold it off to Tata. To their credit Ford didn't need a bail out from the US Government like GM did. They raised some cash selling off some brands and cutting costs.

The British car I had that I really liked was a Defender 90. Sure it had it's quirks and the door latch would rip your pants if you weren't careful but I loved driving it off road. They were popular in Utah so there were people making custom parts for them and good mechanics that could work on them. I busted a differential in Moab. No big deal just drove with the other working axle and found a heavy duty rebuilt replacement in Salt Lake City. Wish I still had it. It was sad to hear Land Rover isn't making them anymore.

Nickdfresh
10-08-2014, 06:16 AM
Back in the 90s a friend nearly killed himself in a FIAT Uno Turbo which he described as a rocket powered skateboard. He crashed into the side of a house. :D

I almost killed myself in a naturally aspirated Nissan Sentra Spec V. It had little to do with driving and more to do with driving in the season's first snow with Z-rated summer performance tires. I quickly got winter tires after that...

Putting 250bhp into a light cheap car without the brakes, steering, safety features or traction control of an upmarket car is a bit silly.

It has all that and more including ABS, stability control, total airbags, etc. It also has performance suspension and excessive tires that could easily handle double the horsepower if the brakes were maybe increased. I've done my share of stupid, like well over 100 in a MazdaSPEED 3 on I-95...

VetteLS5
10-08-2014, 09:26 AM

I can't say for sure, since I'm not one. Maybe cooking meth and beating up on minorities?

twonabomber
10-08-2014, 06:27 PM
I almost killed myself in a naturally aspirated Nissan Sentra Spec V. It had little to do with driving and more to do with driving in the season's first snow with Z-rated summer performance tires. I quickly got winter tires after that...

I got my SRT stuck in the driveway one winter. Pilot Sport PS2's...the mush just turned to a sheet of ice as the tires spun. Now I might back it up to the open garage door and let it run, then move it a foot forward again.

Seshmeister
10-09-2014, 08:43 AM
In other news.

Vandal paints penis on £1.5million Bugatti Veyron
Wednesday 8 Oct 2014 11:16 am

https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/ad_148211035-e1412806321233.jpg?w=644&h=565&crop=1#038;h=612

An amateur psychologist seems to have been at work as a vandal on the streets of Seattle, painting a penis on a £1.5million supercar which some might say functioned as a substitute for the real, fleshy thing.

Anyone looking for a metal substitute for their own organ could do worse than the Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport: it’s the world’s most expensive production car, and does nought to 60 in 2.6 seconds.

The Veyron boasts 1200hp, more than many dedicated racing cars, but is street legal.

Or it may have been an impersonator.

Commenters on Reddit exploded in masculine outrage, with many suggesting that you should never draw penises on another man’s ride, or, inexplicably, that anyone who might commit such a crime might well draw a penis on the Mona Lisa.

The real owner has yet to comment.

twonabomber
10-09-2014, 09:18 AM
Maybe they're from Peniston.

vandeleur
10-09-2014, 10:17 AM
In other news.

Vandal paints penis on £1.5million Bugatti Veyron
Wednesday 8 Oct 2014 11:16 am

https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/ad_148211035-e1412806321233.jpg?w=644&h=565&crop=1#038;h=612

An amateur psychologist seems to have been at work as a vandal on the streets of Seattle, painting a penis on a £1.5million supercar which some might say functioned as a substitute for the real, fleshy thing.

Anyone looking for a metal substitute for their own organ could do worse than the Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport: it’s the world’s most expensive production car, and does nought to 60 in 2.6 seconds.

The Veyron boasts 1200hp, more than many dedicated racing cars, but is street legal.

Or it may have been an impersonator.

Commenters on Reddit exploded in masculine outrage, with many suggesting that you should never draw penises on another man’s ride, or, inexplicably, that anyone who might commit such a crime might well draw a penis on the Mona Lisa.

The real owner has yet to comment.

Cool they made the painting life size :)

cadaverdog
10-09-2014, 02:51 PM
I used to detail cars for a living. One of my customers took a new T Bird home without permission and somebody painted heavy metal on both sides of the car in silver and gold spray paint. He dropped it off on his way to work and I told him I'd have to buff and hand polish the car to get it off without ruining the paint. As soon as he left I took a rag with a little gas on it and wiped the paint of then washed it with decent quality wash and wax soap. I didn't charge him anything but I told him he owed me a favor. A couple weeks later my partner was taking a new Mustang back to the guy and didn't make sure the hood was latched. It broke out the windsheild and mangled the hood. I cashed in my favor by getting him to tell his boss the hood came open while he was bringing the car to me so I wouldn't have to pay for the damages.

cadaverdog
10-09-2014, 02:53 PM
Cool they made the painting life size
Mine's bigger. :bigwink:

Seshmeister
10-10-2014, 12:16 PM
0-60 in 3.2 seconds these look like fun.

Seshmeister
10-10-2014, 12:19 PM
It also has the option where you can summon it to come to you.

To be fair Michael Knight had that way back in the 1980s...

Nitro Express
10-10-2014, 01:24 PM
That Bugatti is one ugly car. Sorry. I like the originals better.

I would rather have one of these.

cadaverdog
10-10-2014, 03:26 PM
It also has the option where you can summon it to come to you.

To be fair Michael Knight had that way back in the 1980s...
I'd rather not be anywhere near a car that could drive itself. If they could really make a car as smart as Kitt I might change my mind but they can't. I don't want to own a car that slams on the brakes if something appears in front of it. The car or truck behind me might not have that option. If I need to ram the car in front of me or get hit by a train or broadsided by another car I'd rather ram the car in front of me. I don't want my car to make that decision for me.

twonabomber
10-10-2014, 04:40 PM
Top Gear's Andy Wilman checks in

http://transmission.blogs.topgear.com/2014/10/10/top-gear-in-argentina-what-really-happened/

Kristy
10-11-2014, 11:23 AM
So much for the "no dick pics" posting rule around here.

Jérôme Frenchise
10-12-2014, 03:06 AM
Who can seriously believe that car plate wasn't used on purpose? Serves Clarkson right, Mr Soooselfimportant, though his set of "wit" wasn't even worth a single of those rocks being moved an inch.

twonabomber
10-15-2014, 07:21 PM
Here's a list of everyone that hates Jeremy Clarkson right now

http://jalopnik.com/heres-a-list-of-everyone-that-hates-jeremy-clarkson-ri-1646678161