PDA

View Full Version : Different Kind of Truth

Eyes of the Night
10-18-2014, 07:07 AM
Like a fine wine they just keep getting better and I have to say that this album is their best. Even if there are no harmonies the music is relentless straight forward rock we expect from the band. The shit that gives you and still gives me goosebumps and butterflies everytime! Inspiration that gives me the hope to never give up with my music. 4 years later this is my review...

Monkeeman
10-18-2014, 05:16 PM
It's not their best album. Not even top 3 BUT... it is a far better album than I expected them to make after a 28 year break. A very good album, but not their best.

VAiN
10-18-2014, 05:55 PM
Like a fine wine they just keep getting better and I have to say that this album is their best. Even if there are no harmonies the music is relentless straight forward rock we expect from the band. The shit that gives you and still gives me goosebumps and butterflies everytime! Inspiration that gives me the hope to never give up with my music. 4 years later this is my review...

How's the future?

SunisinuS
10-19-2014, 01:41 AM
Like anything...so much water under and over the bridge... But I do think it sounds like Van Halen instead of them as separate entities.... It still remains in parlance: A solid effort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg5HIUU8QP8

But the 2nd has grown on me so fucking much, it has become one of my favorite VH songs surprisingly.

vandeleur
10-19-2014, 07:50 AM
It's better than we could have expected , it's still great . It's a van Halen album .

Piss poor promotion killed it :)

FORD
10-19-2014, 10:56 AM
To me, this was not even Van Halen's 7th album, more like it's 5th. Because it sounds more like the first four records than Diver Down or half of 1984 does.

BenJammin
10-19-2014, 11:13 AM
Funny, just yesterday I downloaded Judas Priest's latest... "Redeemer of Souls" and was giving it a good listen. Classic Priest pretty much, made it to the 4th song ('Sword of Democles') and said to myself "hmmm... I've been here before, sounds great, but a bit too repetitious", then I switched over and listened to ALL of ADKOT for probably about the 499th time since it came out.

Good, bad, better, worse... everyone has their opinion, but I've had a lot of enjoyment out of it. No song sounds like the previous one (insert argument about sounding like previous works, okay fair), but there is fun to be found, something different with every song. Reminds me of the feelings I had back in 1978 in a lot of ways.

... now let me go back and see if I can make it through 2 ~ 3 songs of Redeemer :)

ashstralia
10-19-2014, 11:26 AM
'Told ya I was coming back.'

Perfect.

DLR Bridge
10-19-2014, 12:34 PM
Good, bad, better, worse... everyone has their opinion, but I've had a lot of enjoyment out of it. No song sounds like the previous one (insert argument about sounding like previous works, okay fair), but there is fun to be found, something different with every song. Reminds me of the feelings I had back in 1978 in a lot of ways.

I still listen to it a lot and only have a few nit-picky problems with it. Dave's vocals do all sound like they were recorded after the music. It's fine that they were, but somehow, the six pack were all engineered so that it sounded like he sang during the recording of the tracks. They all sounded cohesive and live. ADKOT has its moments of patchy punch-ins that annoy me. I also think Big River and Beats Workin' have the same problem in that Dave is basically done with his part by the solo. He should have returned with a verse in each of those. Other than those couple of things, I do like it more as a whole as time goes by.

DONNIEP
10-19-2014, 02:17 PM
I listened to the hell out of it for quite a while after it came out. Then I went back to listening to the old demos. As good as the reworked stuff is, I still like the old stuff better.

Seshmeister
10-20-2014, 09:43 AM
I still listen to it a lot and only have a few nit-picky problems with it. Dave's vocals do all sound like they were recorded after the music. It's fine that they were, but somehow, the six pack were all engineered so that it sounded like he sang during the recording of the tracks. They all sounded cohesive and live. ADKOT has its moments of patchy punch-ins that annoy me.

I think he was patched in almost a word at a time which can be disguised and the timing and pitch altered afterwards.

Like where your food comes from it's really best not to examine the exact details of such things in too much detail otherwise it spoils the enjoyment.

Better to pick a supplier you basically trust and delegate that part to them... :)