PDA

View Full Version : Blackwater Mercenaries Found Guilty in 2007 Iraq Massacre

Nickdfresh
10-25-2014, 09:54 AM
Four Blackwater guards found guilty in 2007 Iraq shootings of 31 unarmed civilians

A federal jury returned guilty verdicts Wednesday for all four former Blackwater security guards charged in the shootings of more than 30 Iraqi citizens in Baghdad in 2007. (AP)
By Spencer S. Hsu, Victoria St. Martin and Keith L. Alexander October 22

A federal jury in Washington convicted four Blackwater Worldwide guards Wednesday in the fatal shooting of 14 unarmed Iraqis, seven years after the American security contractors fired machine guns and grenades into a Baghdad traffic circle in one of the most ignominious chapters of the Iraq war.

The guilty verdicts on murder, manslaughter and gun charges marked a sweeping victory for prosecutors, who argued in an 11-week trial that the defendants fired recklessly and out of control in a botched security operation after one of them falsely claimed to believe the driver of an approaching vehicle was a car bomber. Jurors rejected the guards’ claims that they were acting in self-defense and were the target of incoming AK-47 gunfire.

Overall, defendants were charged with the deaths of 14 Iraqis and the wounding of 17 others at Baghdad’s Nisour Square shortly after noon Sept. 16, 2007. None of the victims was an insurgent.

“This verdict is a resounding affirmation of the commitment of the American people to the rule of law, even in times of war,” said Ronald C. Machen Jr., U.S. attorney for the District, whose office prosecuted the case. “I pray that this verdict will bring some sense of comfort to the survivors of that massacre.”

Defense attorneys appeared stunned and said they would appeal. David Schertler, an attorney for defendant Dustin Heard, called the result “incomprehensible.”

LINK (http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/verdict-expected-in-blackwater-shooting-case/2014/10/22/5a488258-59fc-11e4-bd61-346aee66ba29_story.html)

Nitro Express
10-26-2014, 04:41 PM
Well. They are mercenaries. Enough said.

DONNIEP
10-26-2014, 04:50 PM
I wish I worked for Blackwater, well whatever it's called today. You get to shoot stuff snd blow stuff up real damn good AND you get paid a butt load of cash.

FORD
10-26-2014, 07:58 PM
Fucking treasonous assed cowards, every last one of them. Especially their grand wizard EriKKK Prince.

Nitro Express
10-26-2014, 08:05 PM
I wish I worked for Blackwater, well whatever it's called today. You get to shoot stuff snd blow stuff up real damn good AND you get paid a butt load of cash.

LOL! I think they are called Academy now but then that could have changed. They just should call themselves Pirates R Us.

DONNIEP
10-26-2014, 09:21 PM
I make jokes, but being a contractor for an honorable company (unlike Blackwater) would be a pretty cool gig.

Nickdfresh
10-26-2014, 09:26 PM
Fucking treasonous assed cowards, every last one of them. Especially their grand wizard EriKKK Prince.

Blackwater and their Euro mercenary ilk might as well as pulled the trigger on U.S.troops with the way they alienated the Iraqi populace...