PDA

View Full Version : ThrillsNSpills: a memorial

DLR Bridge
02-02-2015, 12:19 PM
Hard to believe, but true. Through a mutual friend, I have recently learned that this funny, talented, kind and intelligent member of the Roth Army is no longer with us. Apparently, he had been battling for a few years, the dreaded illness that took him down this past September.

I did not personally know the man, Scott. I did, however, know Thrills as just an all around, cool guy. One whose off beat posts from out of no where would crack me up on the spot. One who was very modest about his gifted guitar playing ability and was kind enough to offer up useful insight to a lesser skilled hack like myself.

I know there are many here who knew him quite well and probably have awesome memories they could share. Please do so right here.

Rest Peacefully Thrills.

http://youtu.be/O9giC9W3sqk

kwame k
02-02-2015, 12:23 PM
Had some great times here with Thrills..............smacking around trolls and general debauchery!

Class act all the way and a legend on the boards!

Hell of a guitarist, too!

RIP Scott, you'll be missed!

SparkieD
02-02-2015, 01:09 PM
Thrills was the BEST!!! A great friend in good times and bad. I have a bunch of PM's from him that are full of the wit he was known best for here, but the ones that stand out the most are from two years back when my family was going through some terrible stuff. His heartfelt concern for my own well being in my time of sorrow was deeply touching. He offered me a perspective nobody else did and it helped immensely. I only wish I could've returned the favor. I will miss you terribly, Scott.

binnie
02-02-2015, 01:17 PM
This is terrible news and one of those moments where the un-reality of the internet can actually affect you. The thread title knocked the wind out of me.

Thrills was always one of mt favourite posters and his warmth oozed off the screen.

R.I.P.

TFM_Dale
02-02-2015, 01:24 PM
I had limited interaction with Thrills but he was always cool to me. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Dan
02-02-2015, 01:31 PM
We Have Lost Another Great Roth Army Member And Friend.Scott Was Very Much Part Of The Roth Army Family Around Here.Great Sense Of Humor And A AlRound Good Guy.Scott Battled Very Hard With His Illness,Was Always Being Happy And Keeping Busy Was Part of His Life.He Did Help many Peeps Around Here During His 10 Years Plus On The Roth Army Boards.I Will Miss His "Bright Sense Of Humor" and Miss Our Talks About Everything.Also Was A Sheep Pen Member Too Who Added alot To That Crazy Place Too.RIP My Friend.:(

jhale667
02-02-2015, 02:00 PM
Thrills was a great guy, and a stellar guitarist. Loved talking shop with him. He will be missed. :(

R.I.P Scott.

Guitar Shark
02-02-2015, 02:02 PM
Thrills (Scott) was one of my first online "friends." Never got the chance to meet him in person, but that didn't matter. We shared many conversations over the last 15 years, and he was one of the nicest, most positive guys I've ever known. This is even more remarkable when you consider the fact that he was dealt a pretty big dose of bad luck with his health.

One thing that always made him happy was playing guitar. I remember how modest he was about his guitar playing. He always downplayed his talent, but I once convinced him to send me some of his recordings.... which were incredible. Like others have said, he was very selfless - always giving others tips and advice without coming across as egotistical or superior. That is a rare skill. During one of his worst bouts with his illness, he was so weak that he couldn't play guitar at all. Those were tough times for him, but through it all, he stayed positive. One day, an email from Scott showed up in my inbox. He asked me for my address so that he could send me a guitar instructional video that he made for me, with tips from 5 experts. I was amazed that he would take time to help out a friend when he was in the midst of a huge health struggle, but that's just the kind of guy he was. Unique. Every once in a while, I'd get an email from him just checking in to see how I was doing. Like this one:

Hey Matt

How the heck are ya? I'm still chuggin' along trying to get as healthy as possible. I hope you are happy and well and all that. I'm not able to get on computers that much but will at some point I'm sure. Hope your guitar and amp situation is strong. :) talk to ya later.
Scott

I kind of took it for granted at the time, and that's too bad. I wish I had told him more often what a cool guy I thought he was.

Here at the Army, Scott had the unique ability to contribute humor and wit to virtually every topic, always staying above the fray, even during the many board wars that have occurred over the years. Even if you didn't know him, his posts likely brought a smile. His absence is a big, big loss to the Army.

RIP, my friend. You will be missed.

Kristy
02-02-2015, 02:06 PM
Eh, he was a known Zeppelin fan.

Guitar Shark
02-02-2015, 02:27 PM
Eh, he was a known Zeppelin fan.

Thrills would have laughed at this. :)

Coyote
02-02-2015, 03:19 PM
R.i.p.

Cato
02-02-2015, 05:17 PM
ace's dead cat was his alias. I think it explains what kind of guy he was..

he and I belong to the same generation. he and I grew up hearing almost the same music in different countries. so I'm very sad to hear this news.

Rest in peace Scott. you were the best.

FORD
02-02-2015, 06:19 PM
Thrills would have laughed at this. :)

Definitely would have.... pretty sure most of the Zeppelin stuff he posted was just to get a reaction from Kristy. ;)

Don't spend a lot of time in the "gear" forum, so I wasn't familiar with his guitar work as some of you are. Guess I'll remember him as the guy who knew almost as much about Stones bootlegs as me, and in fact, he somehow got me an advanced copy of the Stones "A Bigger Bang" album a month before it was in the stores.

And I think he managed to call out a couple of c-dog's aliases even before I did. Bummed out that we lost another valuable member of the Roth Army. Been far too many in recent years...... :(

kwame k
02-02-2015, 06:37 PM
...................And I think he managed to call out a couple of c-dog's aliases even before I did. Bummed out that we lost another valuable member of the Roth Army. Been far too many in recent years...... :(

He did call out C-Dog quite a few times and had a blast reading his posts doing it!

Va Beach VH Fan
02-02-2015, 07:23 PM
Son of a bitch.

We've lost too many good people on here....

VetteLS5
02-02-2015, 07:55 PM
Thrills was a great guy, and a stellar guitarist. Loved talking shop with him. He will be missed. :(

R.I.P Scott.

Holy Shit, it's J!!

I'm sorry for everyone's loss... I didn't know Thrills personally or even in the e-sense. Memory is awful - was his avatar uncle fester with a lightbulb in his mouth?

Anyway, peace be with him.

kwame k
02-02-2015, 08:25 PM
Yes it was.

DLR Bridge
02-02-2015, 08:29 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/02/a806721bfa2c3a5da3f4f0e1c77bf73b.jpg
From the 'what does your screen name mean' thread.

Nickdfresh
02-02-2015, 09:27 PM
This is really terrible and his loss has already been felt. I recall at some point hearing a while back that he had nonspecific health issues. My condolences to his family and close friends and he is a part of the Army family that is sorely missed. He was one of a handful of posters here who I would click on a thread just because I saw he had posted in it. RIP my friend...

SparkieD
02-02-2015, 11:12 PM
Here's an excerpt from one of the messages he sent me. "You are too big hearted to hurt this way and it's one of the things wrong with the universe I think." Yeah, Scott. Another thing wrong with this universe is people like you being taken from us way too soon.

Guitar Shark
02-02-2015, 11:39 PM
He was one of a handful of posters here who I would click on a thread just because I saw he had posted in it.

Nice to hear I wasn't the only one who did that!

private parts
02-03-2015, 10:13 AM
Holy Shit, it's J!!

I'm sorry for everyone's loss... I didn't know Thrills personally or even in the e-sense. Memory is awful - was his avatar uncle fester with a lightbulb in his mouth?

Anyway, peace be with him.

His was my favorite avatar. R.I.P.

ZahZoo
02-03-2015, 11:20 AM
Sad loss... he'll be missed here for sure!!

RIP

Kristy
02-03-2015, 12:16 PM
Again, I never knew the dude.

chefcraig
02-04-2015, 12:29 AM
Scott was hilarious, in an edgy yet insightful sort of way. Some of his comments would come out of left field, and leave ya just shaking yer head. Ten minutes later, he'd come up with something that would touch yer heart.

I already miss ya Scotty. Nothing profound to say here, and quite frankly, I know you'd bust my balls if I tried.

See ya on the other side, ya knucklehead. :yo:

ashstralia
02-04-2015, 03:02 AM
Fair Thee Well mate. All the times you made me burst out LAUGHING OUT LOUD!
As Craig said, see ya in the Rainbow where it's permanently Thursday night and CVH are the house band.

:yo:

Angel
02-04-2015, 06:18 AM
Damn. RIP dude...

Phil theStalker
02-04-2015, 07:59 AM
Click on image for thrilly n spilly animation

hEE's sNOT DED!:finger33:

Hee/s kNOT DED!

I won''t beelieve it till I heer it from hitch...
Click image to see dick enlarge animation

aND DAVE!

Mmmy LiTiTle Trillie's NOTT DED!~~!

How do you get a dead ThrillsNSpills into a blender?
Feet first
How do you get him out?
Tortilla chips

Phil theStalker
02-04-2015, 08:22 AM
hUmoR Heels da HeaRT:love::angel10::pray::rockit2::jammin::beers:

Wanta heer a joKE aboot mmmy dick...?,.
Nevah mmind tit's t2oo long.

Diamondjimi
02-13-2015, 03:09 AM
A great respected old school Army member super nice guy and great contributor to the site. I'll miss him.
This place is losing a lot of good ones...

Rest in peace Scott. You will be missed... :(

clarathecarrot
03-08-2015, 05:08 PM
Spent the last few weeks wondering what to post in this thread. I do know as, us baby boomers age it is more common place that life is tough at times and it consumes all of us eventually some too soon.

I find myself wondering about people who have come and gone, TSP, (my edit of his user name) and I had quite a few conversations if I wasn't enjoying them in reference to a post I made I was enjoying his contributions to this site posting back and forth with other members.

Good Fun!

RIP