PDA

View Full Version : Americans are ignoring the science and spending billions on dietary supplements

Seshmeister
02-10-2015, 10:01 AM
Americans are ignoring the science and spending billions on dietary supplements

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/02/04/americans-are-ignoring-the-science-and-spending-billions-on-dietary-supplements/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=http://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_908w/2010-2019/Wires/Images/2015-02-04/Getty/462755828.jpg&w=1484

Dietary supplement fans got a big "buyer beware" warning this week when the New York attorney general's office ordered GNC, Target, Walgreens and Wal-Mart to pull a number of store-brand products from their shelves, following an investigation that found most didn't contain herbs listed on their labels. In some cases, the attorney general said the supplements didn't even identify potentially dangerous allergens.

It was the latest in a series of studies and investigations that have cast serious doubt on the safety and reliability of these products, which face laxer regulatory scrutiny compared to prescription drugs.

But none of that has changed the fact that Americans are nuts for dietary supplements, as you can see in the chart below (red bars indicate projected sales).

Sales in 2013 reached $13 billion, as more people turn to the supplements to boost their health and lose weight. One of their biggest boosters is syndicated TV host Mehmet Oz of "Dr. Oz" fame, even though "America's doctor," as he's also known, has gotten into trouble for pushing pills with little medical grounding.

When researchers take a closer look at the products, the results can be alarming. Researchers from a 2012 Inspector General's report found that 20 percent of the weight loss and immune system support supplements they purchased made illegal claims about their ability to treat and cure disease.

A year later, Harvard researchers found that between 2004 and 2012, there were 237 recalls of dietary supplements — accounting for more than half of FDA recalls of Class 1 drugs, which mean the products contain substances that can cause death or serious health problems. And in October, a JAMA study found most of supplements that were recalled for containing dangerous banned drugs were still available to consumers at least six months later.

There's a common public misperception that these products face the same rigorous oversight that pharmaceuticals receive from the FDA. They don't, thanks to a federal law that's been in place since 1994.

Manufacturers of dietary supplements are required to attest their products are safe and accurately tested, but unlike prescription drugs, they're not tested by the FDA before they go to market. The 2012 IG report recommended the FDA seek out this authority through legislation and to expand its limited surveillance of products once they're available to consumers.

The Council for Responsible Nutrition, a trade group representing dietary supplement manufacturers, often pushes back against studies that are critical of the industry. For example, they said the latest JAMA study proved that the vast majority of recalled items were successfully removed from the market. And the group slammed the New York attorney general's investigation as a "self-serving publicity stunt under the guise of public health," contending that his office's findings relied on flawed science.

Federal oversight of the industry has tightened—somewhat. Since 2007, manufacturers have been required to report anytime a consumer experiences a serious medical reaction (whether it's hospitalization or even death) to the FDA within 15 days. The agency received more than 6,000 reports between 2008 and 2011, according to a March 2013 Government Accountability Office report, with most of those coming from industry. However, the GAO said it believes these are probably under-reported because some consumers appear to report these events to poison control centers instead of the FDA.

Kristy
02-10-2015, 10:48 AM
It was the latest in a series of studies and investigations that have cast serious doubt on the safety and reliability of these products, which face laxer regulatory scrutiny compared to prescription drugs.

Oh no! Why, why this is. GOVERNMENT INTRUSION INTO OUR LIVES!

But none of that has changed the fact that Americans are nuts for dietary supplements, as you can see in the chart below (red bars indicate projected sales).

I'm calling shenanigans on this. If people actual knew what the fuck was actually in those overpriced horse feces and rabbit urine sawdust and dog snot and used freeze-dried douchewater "supplements" sales would plummet. It'll be interesting to see what the vitamin lobbyist will do to circumvent this other than the usual Obama blaming. I'm willing to bet the courts will not be so eager to protect them.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/NP4JqLv3zoA/hqdefault.jpg
High...on himself

Seshmeister
02-10-2015, 10:52 AM
Is it possible that this is yet another subject ELVIS has been wrong about for all these years...? :D

Kristy
02-10-2015, 11:07 AM
Heh, Trollvis and subject in the same sentence.

kwame k
02-10-2015, 06:35 PM
Is it possible that this is yet another subject ELVIS has been wrong about for all these years...? :D

It could be said they are false flag crisis actor pills ;)

ELVIS
02-10-2015, 09:43 PM
Ahhh...

My misinformed public...

But they love me...

FORD
02-10-2015, 09:59 PM
Not at all surprised that WalMart would be selling crappy product. It's what they do.

But GNC.... for what those bastards charge for supplements, the shit should include official certification.

I'm a big believer in natural medicine, and I know damn well, that most of this anti-supplement crap comes directly from big pharma lobbyists & propagandists. But the natural medicines industry had better police itself. Before the drug pushers talk the government into doing it for them. :(

ELVIS
02-10-2015, 10:05 PM
GNC is a rip off...

Seshmeister
02-10-2015, 10:31 PM
Not at all surprised that WalMart would be selling crappy product. It's what they do.

But GNC.... for what those bastards charge for supplements, the shit should include official certification.

I'm a big believer in natural medicine, and I know damn well, that most of this anti-supplement crap comes directly from big pharma lobbyists & propagandists. But the natural medicines industry had better police itself. Before the drug pushers talk the government into doing it for them. :(

1) How do you define 'natural medicine'?

2) At what point does the supplements industry become 'big supplement'? It's currently worth $30 billion and expected to double in the next 5 years. Why would big pharma lobby against these placebos when they aren't competition (you don't stop taking real medicines because you are taking multivitamins) and more importantly a lot of supplements are sold by big pharma.

This 'anti supplement crap' comes from the fact that they are selling shit that has no evidence of working and half the time their products don't even contain the stuff they haven't proved works.

FORD
02-10-2015, 10:47 PM
One example of "natural medicine" would be the anti-viral properties of Chinese Star Anise.

Big pharma's not going to disagree with me on this, because they take Chinese Star Anise, grind it up and mix it with a bunch of fillers and other toxic shit into an overpriced pill and call it "Tamiflu".

Me, I drink it in the form of a spice flavored tea that I can get at Trader Joes for $2.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-w8MqdbPHrK8/VAiatGgFlAI/AAAAAAAADmE/IIpMgdM8zWI/s1600/chai1.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-yV67F58hxJg/VAiax7mIjaI/AAAAAAAADmM/T22jwJkxCW4/s1600/chai.jpg

Knocked the Hell out of whatever crappy virus I had a couple weeks ago, as it has in the past.

If big pharma had their way, I wouldn't be able to buy this tea anymore. As it is, I can't find a similar product made by Celestial Seasonings anywhere, though every grocery store in town carries a wide variety of their tea brands.

FORD
02-10-2015, 10:52 PM
And of course, there's the cannabis plant, which seems to have new medicinal applications for it every week or so. To the point where growers are now making strains high in CBDs with little or no THC, so it wouldn't get you high even if you smoked a bale of the shit, but it would provide all kinds of relief for a whole laundry lists of symptoms and side effects.

Seshmeister
02-10-2015, 11:13 PM
Some of the worst poisons known to man are 'natural'.

Chinese medicine is natural, eat a tiger dick and you will solve your impotence.

A lot of this shit is just superstitious crap that doesn't work. Real medicine has to go through tests. Sometimes pharma corporations fix these trials and they only publish positive results. I don't get though how that is inferior to not having to test stuff at all. In the US due to past sins there is also the suspicion that the clinicians take bribes to prescribe but I think that's overstated these days and rules are much stricter than they used to be.

None of this is new - you should read up on the 'The appeal to nature fallacy'

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Appeal_to_nature

Cheers!

Kristy
02-10-2015, 11:17 PM
I'm a big believer in natural medicine...(

Are you now?
http://a1.s6img.com/cdn/0015/p/5138663_4397401_lz.jpg

Kristy
02-10-2015, 11:18 PM
GNC is a rip off...

In other words, they won't accept your EBT card.

Kristy
02-10-2015, 11:33 PM
Me, I drink it in the form of a spice flavored tea that I can get at Trader Joes for $2.

Really? You drink that shit? For one, that is not tea, it's floor sweepings and

Knocked the Hell out of whatever crappy virus I had a couple weeks ago, as it has in the past.

If big pharma had their way, I wouldn't be able to buy this tea anymore. As it is, I can't find a similar product made by Celestial Seasonings anywhere, though every grocery store in town carries a wide variety of their tea brands.

Tea has nothing to do with "attacking" a virus since they are not complete cells like bacteria; they exist essentially as parasites on living cells (like Trollvis does here). These organisms use the biochemical products of other living cells to replicate. I highly doubt some shitty tea has any affect. No virus is typical. That is to say the replication and transmission is by way of how the virus attaches itself to the host cell and that mechanism is so complex and varied I don't see how tea can make any difference.

So your big-pharma paranoia is a wee bit Trollvis sounding here.

Do yourself a favor and buy yourself some REAL tea from qualified tea vendors (i.e., tea snobs). Stay far away from that retail shit.

FORD
02-10-2015, 11:40 PM
I only drink the anti-viral tea when needed. I can't drink a lot of black tea, because it fucks with my kidneys big time, for some odd reason (coffee never has, nor does beer, thank God! :gulp: )

As for tea-snob shops, there used to be one around the corner just over the freeway, but they closed up and it became an organic produce store instead. They also sell some decent beer though, so that's OK. Not sure where I'd find snobby tea now, if I wanted any.

Seshmeister
02-10-2015, 11:45 PM
The tea may have helped with the symptoms but it was your own body that defeated the virus.

Kristy
02-10-2015, 11:49 PM
I only drink the anti-viral tea when needed.

No such thing. Unless there is some empirical scientific evidence that tea synthesis viral DNA rendering it harmless, alters proteins, host walls, what have you.

You're the last person I suspect who would fall for such a marketing scam.

Kristy
02-10-2015, 11:51 PM
The tea may have helped with the symptoms but it was your own body that defeated the virus.

http://cdn.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/MjAxNC00MDc1Mzc0NWU3YjZmYzZm.png

ELVIS
02-11-2015, 12:24 PM
You're the last person I suspect who would fall for such a marketing scam.

That's because you're an idiot...

You both fell for Obomba...

Kristy
02-11-2015, 12:26 PM
Here's an idea, Trollvis:
http://www.pokercrashcourse.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Hand-Reading-Logic-2.png

Learn some before posting

ELVIS
02-11-2015, 03:12 PM
Here's an idea, KKKrusty...

Sociology isn't your bag...

Kristy
02-11-2015, 03:49 PM
Employment does not seem to be yours.

kwame k
02-11-2015, 04:50 PM
The whole game is rigged because there's billions of dollars a year fleecing the sheep.

I stopped taking any supplements or quick fix pill or powder years ago for one reason.

It makes more sense to get all the nutritional needs from the foods you eat than a pill. It makes more sense in an evolutionary development way. Our bodies have evolved to get all the vitamins and nutrients we need from foods.

The only drawback to that is.......the bullshit way that damn near anyone can slap an Organic label on something and sell it for twice as much money.

So it does take a bit more research and seasonally I shop from farmers I know to be ethical about how they raise their food. It's relatively local and supports small businesses.

Now if they'd just label the GMO's so you can figure out which ones aren't bad for you and which ones are pure poison, it'd be a step in the right direction. .

Angel
02-12-2015, 12:00 AM
And of course, there's the cannabis plant, which seems to have new medicinal applications for it every week or so. To the point where growers are now making strains high in CBDs with little or no THC, so it wouldn't get you high even if you smoked a bale of the shit, but it would provide all kinds of relief for a whole laundry lists of symptoms and side effects.
Those CBD heavy plants are primarily used for children with severe seizure disorders. Amazing!

FORD
02-12-2015, 12:06 AM
Those CBD heavy plants are primarily used for children with severe seizure disorders. Amazing!

Yeah, I remember reading about a case where this poor 9 year old girl was dealing with 100 fucking seizures a month. Her doctors tried all the big pharma drugs, none of them worked. Put her on CBD cannabis extracts and she's now completely seizure-free.

Natural medicine in action.

Angel
02-12-2015, 12:08 AM
I take vitamin supplements because I don't absorb b12 and am extremely deficient in vitamin D. Mine are by prescription though, not over the counter. I pay less than $2 for D and $6 for my b12 (which goes under the tongue). MUCH cheaper than that shit on the shelves that you just piss out.

Seshmeister
02-12-2015, 07:28 AM
Now if they'd just label the GMO's so you can figure out which ones aren't bad for you and which ones are pure poison, it'd be a step in the right direction. .

It's not the trendy thing to say but it seems that all the science points to GMO's being totally safe. That doesn't mean that some could not be unhealthy in the same way that eating a block of butter each day wouldn't be healthy.

Kristy
02-12-2015, 11:10 AM

Just give them weed. Tons of weed.

kwame k
02-12-2015, 11:13 AM
It's not the trendy thing to say but it seems that all the science points to GMO's being totally safe. That doesn't mean that some could not be unhealthy in the same way that eating a block of butter each day wouldn't be healthy.

To be simplistic, the Indians genetically modified crops and throughout history man has genetically modified crops and live stock. So I'm not one of these people who believe manipulating our food on a genetic level is necessarily a bad thing.

The concern I have is when they start splicing pesticides into crops. Maybe it's semantics and what I'm concerned about is genetically engineered crops. Like the pesticide they spliced into corn. The pesticide is there and it's not like you can rinse that stuff off.

Would labeling all food as to whether or not it's GMO or GE modified cause people to falsely boycott a product based on prejudice and not science? 50/50!

As with vaccines, you'll get a fringe element that'll just look at the word GMO or GE and immediately dismiss it but what it will do is bring more scrutiny to our food supply, hopefully.

It might just force the big corporations to have to defend the use of it and once it's out in the open, independent research can weigh in if it's safe or not! As it stands now independent research is out there but when the public makes it a hot button issue more funding will go towards a higher level of scrutiny, it becomes trendy and media ratings rule the earth ;)

Transparency is never a bad thing.and if big corporations lied for 60 + years about tobacco and the link to cancer, then I don't trust the FDA or big corporations when they say, "Trust us, it's not harmful".

FORD
02-12-2015, 02:48 PM
Genetic engineering within natural means is generally harmless, and often beneficial. Like grafting one branch of a fruit tree onto another, or how domestic cattle basically evolved from somebody long ago deciding that an ox should fuck a buffalo (or whatever it was)

But that's considerably different from fish genes in tomatoes, and pesticides being built in to this artificial crap that passes for "corn" these days.

Wildlife will not eat MonSatan "corn". I won't either.... but in my case, it's learning from the damage already done. Somehow, the critters knew better in the first place.

As far as how this all ties into the vaccines and autism thing...... mercury has been the suspected culprit in vaccines. But what's lesser known is that mercury is used in the process of turning that so-called "corn" into the cheap corporate sugar substitute, High Fructose Corn Poison.

And in the typical American diet, odds are a child might get more mercury in their system from HFCS poisoned food than from vaccine needles.

Angel
02-12-2015, 06:59 PM
The GMO themselves may be fine...but those plants are round-up ready. So we are consuming pesticides when we eat that shit...

Seshmeister
02-12-2015, 07:39 PM
The worst thing that happens in US farming is the crazy excessive use of antibiotics in farm animals.

They are making the bugs evolve to the point we have no antibiotics left that still work and we'll all be dying from routine surgery or ailments again at 1940s levels.

Seshmeister
02-12-2015, 07:41 PM
And in the typical American diet, odds are a child might get more mercury in their system from HFCS poisoned food than from vaccine needles.

The negligible amount of mercury in vaccines was reduced to none many years ago now.

FORD
02-12-2015, 07:48 PM
The negligible amount of mercury in vaccines was reduced to none many years ago now.

I'd say the worst thing about the vaccines is when they insist on doing multiple vaccines at the same time. Kids are going to hate needles no matter what, so you might as well spread them out over time rather than loading it all up in one or two shots.

Worst thing that ever happened to me from a vaccine was that the tetanus shot made my right arm useless for about 3 weeks. Being a kid at the time I never gave much thought to whether it was a reaction to the vaccine itself, or just an incompetent nurse who jabbed the needle wrong.

Seshmeister
02-12-2015, 08:00 PM
Unusual thing to happen but better than polio.

Kids are fine with shots as long as the parents don't make a fuss and pass on their anxiety. They are far less painful than any number of bumps and falls a kid has in an average day.

Having multiple shots means that you get them done quicker lessening the time when they are vulnerable, it's cheaper and less hassle. As they are given to huge amounts of people there is a huge amount of safety data generated.

VetteLS5
02-12-2015, 08:21 PM
Worst thing that ever happened to me from a vaccine was that the tetanus shot made my right arm useless for about 3 weeks. Being a kid at the time I never gave much thought to whether it was a reaction to the vaccine itself, or just an incompetent nurse who jabbed the needle wrong.

Tetanus is a deep muscle injection if I recall. Chances are you tensed up right before the injection and rather than it being a vaccination related issue it was a case of muscle spasm.

VetteLS5
02-12-2015, 08:23 PM
The GMO themselves may be fine...but those plants are round-up ready. So we are consuming pesticides when we eat that shit...

You've been eating pesticides on your agricultural products for over 50 years. Most, during your formative years, were far worse than those that today are in many cases formulated from natural plant chemicals.

VetteLS5
02-12-2015, 08:25 PM
Tetanus is a deep muscle injection if I recall. Chances are you tensed up right before the injection and rather than it being a vaccination related issue it was a case of muscle spasm.

And I say this only because when I was about 11 I stepped on a nail and had to have a tetanus injection in my ass cheek. I panicked and clenched that thing right before the shot and I couldn't walk right for about a week.

Seshmeister
02-12-2015, 08:46 PM

Yeah sorry I missed the bit where he said it was tetanus. According to Ozzy rabies shots are particularly painful too. :)

FORD
02-12-2015, 08:50 PM
Yeah, I never got the needle for a polio vaccine. Just a drop of something kinda nasty on a sugar cube. Which was obviously a better outcome than the previously mentioned tetanus vaccine.

Nickdfresh
02-12-2015, 08:52 PM
Really? You drink that shit? For one, that is not tea, it's floor sweepings and

Tea has nothing to do with "attacking" a virus since they are not complete cells like bacteria; they exist essentially as parasites on living cells (like Trollvis does here). These organisms use the biochemical products of other living cells to replicate. I highly doubt some shitty tea has any affect. No virus is typical. That is to say the replication and transmission is by way of how the virus attaches itself to the host cell and that mechanism is so complex and varied I don't see how tea can make any difference.

So your big-pharma paranoia is a wee bit Trollvis sounding here.

Do yourself a favor and buy yourself some REAL tea from qualified tea vendors (i.e., tea snobs). Stay far away from that retail shit.

Thanks KristyWiki! :)

Nickdfresh
02-12-2015, 08:56 PM
Here's an idea, KKKrusty...

Sociology isn't your bag...

Shut up, dickbag...

Romeo Delight
02-13-2015, 03:12 AM
I'd say the worst thing about the vaccines is when they insist on doing multiple vaccines at the same time. Kids are going to hate needles no matter what, so you might as well spread them out over time rather than loading it all up in one or two shots.

There is no reason to subject small kids and babies to multiple vaccinations all at once. Its insane

ELVIS
02-13-2015, 07:02 AM
It's not the trendy thing to say but it seems that all the science points to GMO's being totally safe.

FUCK OFF WITH YOUR BULLSHIT !!!

Stop lying to people, you lousy drunk...

AND IT'S GMOS, NOT GMO'S, YOU RETARD...

:rolleyes:

ELVIS
02-13-2015, 07:05 AM
Shut up, dickbag...

Shaddup, already...:rolleyes:

ELVIS
02-13-2015, 07:09 AM
10 Reasons to Avoid GMOs (http://www.responsibletechnology.org/10-Reasons-to-Avoid-GMOs)

1. GMOs are unhealthy.
The American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) urges doctors to prescribe non-GMO diets for all patients. They cite animal studies showing organ damage, gastrointestinal and immune system disorders, accelerated aging, and infertility. Human studies show how genetically modified (GM) food can leave material behind inside us, possibly causing long-term problems. Genes inserted into GM soy, for example, can transfer into the DNA of bacteria living inside us, and that the toxic insecticide produced by GM corn was found in the blood of pregnant women and their unborn fetuses.

Numerous health problems increased after GMOs were introduced in 1996. The percentage of Americans with three or more chronic illnesses jumped from 7% to 13% in just 9 years; food allergies skyrocketed, and disorders such as autism, reproductive disorders, digestive problems, and others are on the rise. Although there is not sufficient research to confirm that GMOs are a contributing factor, doctors groups such as the AAEM tell us not to wait before we start protecting ourselves, and especially our children who are most at risk.

The American Public Health Association and American Nurses Association are among many medical groups that condemn the use of GM bovine growth hormone, because the milk from treated cows has more of the hormone IGF-1 (insulin-like growth factor 1)―which is linked to cancer.

2. GMOs contaminate―forever.
GMOs cross pollinate and their seeds can travel. It is impossible to fully clean up our contaminated gene pool. Self-propagating GMO pollution will outlast the effects of global warming and nuclear waste. The potential impact is huge, threatening the health of future generations. GMO contamination has also caused economic losses for organic and non-GMO farmers who often struggle to keep their crops pure.

3. GMOs increase herbicide use.
Most GM crops are engineered to be "herbicide tolerant"―they deadly weed killer. Monsanto, for example, sells Roundup Ready crops, designed to survive applications of their Roundup herbicide.

Between 1996 and 2008, US farmers sprayed an extra 383 million pounds of herbicide on GMOs. Overuse of Roundup results in "superweeds," resistant to the herbicide. This is causing farmers to use even more toxic herbicides every year. Not only does this create environmental harm, GM foods contain higher residues of toxic herbicides. Roundup, for example, is linked with sterility, hormone disruption, birth defects, and cancer.

4. Genetic engineering creates dangerous side effects.
By mixing genes from totally unrelated species, genetic engineering unleashes a host of unpredictable side effects. Moreover, irrespective of the type of genes that are inserted, the very process of creating a GM plant can result in massive collateral damage that produces new toxins, allergens, carcinogens, and nutritional deficiencies.

5. Government oversight is dangerously lax.
Most of the health and environmental risks of GMOs are ignored by governments' superficial regulations and safety assessments. The reason for this tragedy is largely political. The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), for example, doesn't require a single safety study, does not mandate labeling of GMOs, and allows companies to put their GM foods onto the market without even notifying the agency. Their justification was the claim that they had no information showing that GM foods were substantially different. But this was a lie. Secret agency memos made public by a lawsuit show that the overwhelming consensus even among the FDA's own scientists was that GMOs can create unpredictable, hard-to-detect side effects. They urged long-term safety studies. But the White House had instructed the FDA to promote biotechnology, and the agency official in charge of policy was Michael Taylor, Monsanto's former attorney, later their vice president. He's now the US Food Safety Czar.

6. The biotech industry uses "tobacco science" to claim product safety.
Biotech companies like Monsanto told us that Agent Orange, PCBs, and DDT were safe. They are now using the same type of superficial, rigged research to try and convince us that GMOs are safe. Independent scientists, however, have caught the spin-masters red-handed, demonstrating without doubt how industry-funded research is designed to avoid finding problems, and how adverse findings are distorted or denied.

7. Independent research and reporting is attacked and suppressed.
Scientists who discover problems with GMOs have been attacked, gagged, fired, threatened, and denied funding. The journal Nature acknowledged that a "large block of scientists . . . denigrate research by other legitimate scientists in a knee-jerk, partisan, emotional way that is not helpful in advancing knowledge." Attempts by media to expose problems are also often censored.

8. GMOs harm the environment.
GM crops and their associated herbicides can harm birds, insects, amphibians, marine ecosystems, and soil organisms. They reduce bio-diversity, pollute water resources, and are unsustainable. For example, GM crops are eliminating habitat for monarch butterflies, whose populations are down 50% in the US. Roundup herbicide has been shown to cause birth defects in amphibians, embryonic deaths and endocrine disruptions, and organ damage in animals even at very low doses. GM canola has been found growing wild in North Dakota and California, threatening to pass on its herbicide tolerant genes on to weeds.

9. GMOs do not increase yields, and work against feeding a hungry world.
Whereas sustainable non-GMO agricultural methods used in developing countries have conclusively resulted in yield increases of 79% and higher, GMOs do not, on average, increase yields at all. This was evident in the Union of Concerned Scientists' 2009 report Failure to Yield―the definitive study to date on GM crops and yield.

The International Assessment of Agricultural Knowledge, Science and Technology for Development (IAASTD) report, authored by more than 400 scientists and backed by 58 governments, stated that GM crop yields were "highly variable" and in some cases, "yields declined." The report noted, "Assessment of the technology lags behind its development, information is anecdotal and contradictory, and uncertainty about possible benefits and damage is unavoidable." They determined that the current GMOs have nothing to offer the goals of reducing hunger and poverty, improving nutrition, health and rural livelihoods, and facilitating social and environmental sustainability.
On the contrary, GMOs divert money and resources that would otherwise be spent on more safe, reliable, and appropriate technologies.

10. By avoiding GMOs, you contribute to the coming tipping point of consumer rejection, forcing them out of our food supply.
Because GMOs give no consumer benefits, if even a small percentage of us start rejecting brands that contain them, GM ingredients will become a marketing liability. Food companies will kick them out. In Europe, for example, the tipping point was achieved in 1999, just after a high profile GMO safety scandal hit the papers and alerted citizens to the potential dangers. In the US, a consumer rebellion against GM bovine growth hormone has also reached a tipping point, kicked the cow drug out of dairy products by Wal-Mart, Starbucks, Dannon, Yoplait, and most of America's dairies.

The Campaign for Healthier Eating in America is designed to achieve a tipping point against GMOs in the US. The number of non-GMO shoppers needed is probably just 5% of the population. The key is to educate consumers about the documented health dangers and provide a Non-GMO Shopping Guide to make avoiding GMOs much easier.

Seshmeister
02-13-2015, 09:57 AM
Quoting good old Jeffrey Smith, the go to guy for anti GMO quack science.

It's like you have a BS homing instinct. :)

Smith isn’t a genetic scientist. According to New Yorker writer Michael Specter, he “has no experience in genetics or agriculture, and has no scientific degree from any institution” but did study “business at the Maharishi International University, founded by the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.” As Professor Bruce Chassy, an emeritus food scientist at the University of Illinois, told Specter, “His only professional experience prior to taking up his crusade against biotechnology is as a ballroom-dance teacher, yogic flying instructor, and political candidate for the Maharishi cult’s natural-law party.”
http://scienceblogs.com/denialism/2013/03/29/anti-gmo-writers-show-profound-ignorance-of-basic-biology-and-now-jane-goodall-has-joined-their-ranks/

He makes your vet look qualified. :)

Seshmeister
02-13-2015, 10:10 AM
You've found an exceptional whackjob this time.

Jeffrey Smith, a Davis aide and one of the three flyers, explained the idea and effects of yogic flying, which relies on practicing transcendental meditation, to the small crowd.

Smith presented charts with evidence of a correlation between the presence of yogic flyers and an increase in the quality of life and a decrease in crime. Smith cited limited yogic flying programs in Washington D.C. and near the Middle East that resulted in less crime and more harmony.

“(This is why) Jim Davis as the Senate candidate for the Natural Law Party believes that any city that has a group of say 7,000 yogic flyers practicing together will not only generate great coherence and cleansing effect for the nation and the entire world, but will enjoy a dramatic reduction in crime rate within the city,” Smith said.

“The simplest explanation of this technology is based on the concept of collective consciousness. We’ve all had the experience of walking into a home and feeling very good in the home instantly. We’ve had the other experience of walking into a home and feeling very uncomfortable, maybe tense, maybe angry. …

“What we’re experiencing is the collective consciousness. On the level of the home, it’s the collective consciousness of the family.

“So at the simplest level, what this yogic flying technique does is it reduces the stress in collective consciousness, increases the purity and harmony in that collective consciousness, and everyone within that collective consciousness is influenced.”

Noting that the idea of radio and a heliocentric model of the solar system had once been scoffed at, Smith said more than 500 studies have shown transcendental meditation has its benefits including more creativity, intelligence and energy, better health and higher IQ over the long term.

On a wider scale, Smith said the minds of yogic flyers act like radio transmitters that radiate a positive influence, resonating through the surrounding the mental environment. Smith estimated that a corps of about 7,000 yogic flyers could help relieve stress and the problems associated with it around the world.

There are 3 stages of yogic flying.

1. Hopping
2. Levitating
3. Flying

For some reason no one in modern documented times has ever got past stage 1. :biggrin:

Seshmeister
02-13-2015, 10:13 AM
[size=8]

AND IT'S GMOS, NOT GMO'S, YOU RETARD...

:rolleyes:

Sorry I guess even I'm not above suspision of the occasional mistake huh? :biggrin:

Kristy
02-13-2015, 11:55 AM
Thanks KristyWiki! :)

College biology 101.

Nickdfresh
02-13-2015, 10:28 PM
College biology 101.

All lies made up by fake scientists and their hooble hop goggernaby!! Ask Elvis...
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr191/TheSwordofTheKing/hesthedevil.jpg

ELVIS
02-15-2015, 10:42 AM
Get a room, queers...

Angel
02-15-2015, 12:10 PM
Sorry I guess even I'm not above suspision of the occasional mistake huh? :biggrin:
Damn...did you HAVE to spell suspicion wrong? ;)

Nickdfresh
02-15-2015, 12:16 PM
Damn...did you HAVE to spell suspicion wrong? ;)

He's so "rediculous!" ;)

Kristy
02-15-2015, 12:48 PM
Get a room, queers...

Get a job, bum.

ELVIS
02-16-2015, 12:52 PM
What for ??

Nickdfresh
02-16-2015, 10:55 PM
What for ??

So you stop sponging off your "beard" wife and her family...