PDA

View Full Version : Toto XIV

philouze
03-06-2015, 03:48 AM
Hey, I know.. Lots of people don't care about Toto. But they're back with a goddamn piece of art.
Probably my favorite one since The Seventh One (1988)

Coming out March 20th.

Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSNM5_5jP3Q&feature=youtu.be

Droomer5150
03-06-2015, 04:30 AM
New album is kicking ass so far! People don't give Toto the credit they deserve! Epic chorus! If anyone has any doubts about them now, they need to check out the Live in Poland Blu-ray. Live masterpiece. LOL ;) now that's a live album!

philouze
03-06-2015, 05:11 AM
I have the new album in its entirety, and I can tell you it kicks MAJOR ass from beginning to end (apart from the song Orphan, in my opinion, the weakest track on the album). Reminds me of Steely Dan (Hi Donnie!!) on some songs. Oh, and their drummer is Keith Carlock who also plays in SD!

Live In Poland is good.. Personally, I like Falling In Between Live In Paris better (Drag Him To The Roof, masterpiece), but I acknowledge that the 2013 setlist was grate. It was a treat to hear It's A Feeling after all these years.

I could go on about Toto for hours.. Been a fan since.. well.. Long time ago! :)

Droomer5150
03-06-2015, 05:18 AM
I have the new album in its entirety, and I can tell you it kicks MAJOR ass from beginning to end (apart from the song Orphan, in my opinion, the weakest track on the album). Reminds me of Steely Dan (Hi Donnie!!) on some songs. Oh, and their drummer is Keith Carlock who also plays in SD!

Live In Poland is good.. Personally, I like Falling In Between Live In Paris better (Drag Him To The Roof, masterpiece), but I acknowledge that the 2013 setlist was grate. It was a treat to hear It's A Feeling after all these years.

I could go on about Toto for hours.. Been a fan since.. well.. Long time ago! :)

Yeah Falling in Between is GREAT. I only say LIP for others, because I feel like FIB is a target for haters to bitch about the pitch correction use, but those two concerts are freaking KILLER. So keen to hear the full thing! It struck hard hearing Simon had left, but Keith is doing a pretty kickass job from what I've heard so far. Toto, Van Halen and Rush and I'm set!

philouze
03-06-2015, 05:25 AM
Keith is kicking ass with Steely Dan. He's been with them for years (he replaced guys like Ricky Lawson -RIP- and Dennis Chambers).
Toto's going on tour with Shannon Forrest, as Keith is on tour with the Dan. Dave Hungate on bass..
Dude, if they play Chinatown, Burn and Great Expectations (from the new album) on this tour, I think it's gonna be a KILLER.

Also, I have heard that XIV is their Final album.

Cato
03-06-2015, 07:18 AM
http://www.champtoilet.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/GMAX.jpg

ELVIS
03-06-2015, 11:00 AM
Is that a Japanese bathtub ??

Mushroom
03-06-2015, 11:49 AM
Steve Lukather is one hell of a guitarist just in the wrong band with Weird Al Yankovic on vocals

Kristy
03-06-2015, 01:03 PM
Yes, all hail the mediocre white suburban corporate rock that is Toto.

ELVIS
03-06-2015, 02:00 PM
What's wrong with being white ??

binnie
03-06-2015, 03:04 PM
I've never really listened to Toto. If you had to recommend one album as 'essential', which would it be?

ELVIS
03-06-2015, 03:12 PM
I'd say the first one or two...

But I haven't heard much of the rest...

lesfunk
03-06-2015, 10:05 PM
Is that a Japanese bathtub ??

I think its a Japanese drinking fountain . ...or a ballwash

Nigel
03-06-2015, 11:07 PM
I've never really listened to Toto. If you had to recommend one album as 'essential', which would it be?

That's a tough question as TOTO plays jazz, pop, rock, prog rock, ballads, R& B etc.
Their "old' catalogue sounds dated, but LIVE in Poland is a great start, also Mindfields is a brilliant album. I'm waiting for XIV at the end of March and it will be that over VH Live in Japan I'm afraid.

Check out the song "Wings of Time" from (Live in Poland) on youtube, and see if Mr.Lukather doesn't just impress the hell out of you.

TOTO is fucking fabulous and no wonder Eddie is a friend AND fan of Steve's. . .

Cheers

Nigel

Nigel
03-06-2015, 11:15 PM
I have the new album in its entirety, and I can tell you it kicks MAJOR ass from beginning to end (apart from the song Orphan, in my opinion, the weakest track on the album)I could go on about Toto for hours..

So could I. Curious as to how you have it in it's entirety when it isn't out for another few weeks yet. (lol)

I LOVE the song "Running Out Of Time" and "Holy War", but have yet to hear the rest other than Burn and Orphan.

Does Steve actually play better lead solos than I've heard so far? Love their sound as a band, but Steve's riffing makes the song
(like Falling In Between-the song). I want "Wings of Time"-type solos that just drop your jaw. . . .

Droomer5150
03-07-2015, 07:37 AM

I'd say give Live in Poland a watch then if you dig it go back and check out the albums, there is ALOT of variety. Live in Poland is the "essential" album for me even though it's live haha. Incredible performance, some of the best musicians in music history all in one band on the same stage. It's great!

philouze
03-07-2015, 07:48 AM
Binnie, check out the new album when it's out. That should give you a good idea of the band's music.

Coyote
03-11-2015, 03:54 AM

Just one? Hydra.

philouze
03-15-2015, 02:50 PM
Michael Porcaro (1955-2015)

http://www.noise11.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Mike-Porcaro.jpg

:frown1:

ELVIS
03-15-2015, 03:11 PM
Hmmm...

Nigel
04-05-2015, 04:47 PM
If anyone is interested, here is the full video of the masters of TOTO XIV creating their art!

https://youtu.be/d1voiCAbnJc

Nickdfresh
04-05-2015, 05:38 PM

The invisible one that you can't hear...

philouze
05-16-2015, 11:06 AM
The tour is going to begin very soon. I can't wait to hear live renditions of China Town (lots of Steely Dan in that one, perfect) and Great Expectations.

Lukather announced there were gonna be lots of surprises setlist-wise.
Well, unlike Rush, they won't pull out alternate sets, but that's fine with me.
Bring on some obscure shit like Takin' It Back or Mr Friendly. Hell, even Let It Go, I'm all for it!

Mr. Vengeance
05-17-2015, 10:15 AM
Toto is one of those bands, like Steely Dan, that I really only listen to when I'm relaxing by the pool having some beers on a Saturday evening. I own a couple of the bigger albums but really only bother putting on the greatest hits albums.

Kristy
05-17-2015, 11:34 AM
Toto is one of those bands, like Steely Dan, that I really only listen to when I'm relaxing by the pool having some beers on a Saturday evening. I own a couple of the bigger albums but really only bother putting on the greatest hits albums.

Toto is one of those corporate bands, like the other shit I listen to without embarrassment such as Steely Dan, that I really only listen to when I'm in my inflatable life vest by the kiddie pool having some Sunny D on a day when I should be looking for a job.

http://content9.flixster.com/photo/10/67/19/10671927_ori.jpg
I like Toto

Mr. Vengeance
05-17-2015, 10:26 PM
Holy fuck was that lame.....

Kristy
05-18-2015, 12:42 AM
So no to your Valium refill?

Nigel
05-19-2015, 03:19 PM
For us real TOTO fans, it will be interesting to check out the concert reviews and "surprises"
on the setlist beginning this Friday May 22. Can't wait to see them LIVE after the European Tour!!

TFM_Dale
05-21-2015, 12:32 AM
For us real TOTO fans, it will be interesting to check out the concert reviews and "surprises"
on the setlist beginning this Friday May 22. Can't wait to see them LIVE after the European Tour!!

Toto has fans?

Nigel
05-21-2015, 06:13 PM
Toto has fans?

Indeedido, why there's Dorothy, the Tin Man, the Cowardly Lion, and Scarecrow ("I think I'll miss you the most")
Miss Gulch/Wicked Witch of the West and The Wizard declined comment.

On a realistic note, they have over 1 million of them who like to hear 3 incredible vocalists and band play melodic rock
without blower rants, singing off key or wearing denim. . .

VetteLS5
05-21-2015, 07:32 PM
without blower rants, singing off key or wearing denim. . .

:nono:

Nigel
05-21-2015, 07:44 PM
TOTO Setlist for Glasgow/May 21, 2015

1. Running Out Of Time 2. Caught in the Balance 3. Rosanna 4. Without Your Love 5. Burn 6. Holy War 7. Takin' It Back

8. Great Expectations 9. Stranger In Town 10. The Road Goes On 11. Never Enough 12. White Sister 13. Bottom Of Your Soul

14. Orphan 15. Hold The Line 16. Little Wing/Hendrix 17. On The Run/Child's Anthem 18. Pamela 19. Africa

philouze
05-21-2015, 07:51 PM
Takin' It Back.. I knew it!!!!!
Stranger In Town, Never Enough.. Fuck yeah!!!

Grate setlist. Can't wait for the bootlegs...

philouze
05-22-2015, 01:47 AM
Here's the setlist in order:

1. RUNNING OUT OF TIME
2. I'LL SUPPLY THE LOVE
3. BURN
4. STRANGER IN TOWN
5. NEVER ENOUGH
6. I WON'T HOLD YOU BACK
7. HOLY WAR
8. HOLD THE LINE
9. TAKIN 'IT BACK (Steve Porcaro on lead vocals)
10. PAMELA
11. BOTTOM OF YOUR SOUL
12. CAUGHT IN THE BALANCE
13. WITHOUT YOUR LOVE
14. ORPHAN
15. THE ROAD GOES ON
16. GREAT EXPECTATIONS
17. ROSANNA
18. ON THE RUN (1st encore)
19. WHITE SISTER (2nd encore)
20. AFRICA (3rd and last encore)

Killer setlist if you ask me (although I can perfectly do without Bottom Of Your Soul.. Why didn't they play China Town or Drag Him To The Roof?). But ending the show on Africa?? Lame. Why not end the gig with White Sister?
Anyway, the bootlegs should be arriving Very Very Soon.. I'll keep you informed!!

Nigel
05-29-2015, 08:24 AM
The bootlegs are arriving and I now can't wait for the new DVD. They just played in Paris last night. Did you go Phil?

From the youtube vids I'm loving the addition of Lenny Castro's percussion to augment Shannon Forrest. (2 guys to replace Simon!!)

Great Expectations, Takin' It Back, Never Enough, and Caught in the Balance are highlights for me. I love the way these guys change up the songs; even the ones you've heard many times before. Great stuff.

philouze
05-30-2015, 05:42 AM
I didn't go to the Paris gig, Nigel. As a matter of fact, I won't be able to attend any gig on this tour.
And there will be no DVD either, Luke said. Maybe for the 40th anniversary, who knows?

The first two shows (Glasgow and Dublin) were just awesome. Videos are on YT. The band was On Fire, and so was the crowd.
Luke was quite ill when they played in Paris. He caught a bad flu, couldn't really sing (they skipped Never Enough, Bottom Of Your Soul and On The Run for that matter), he had his left eye half closed.. He was not in top notch form, to say the least.
Besides, the band went through the motions.
If you have to watch two shows from that first leg, go with Glasgow and Dublin.

On a side note, Paich said that they might play China Town on a future leg..

Nigel
06-01-2015, 09:46 AM
That's too bad. You seem like the kind of guy (like me) who would be cheerleader
for the rest of the audience. Bummer about no DVD! I have to think they'll change their minds.

I was already looking forward to having the surround sound experience at home. Chinatown should be added
and drop "I'll Supply the Love" or some of the others we've already seen on DVD.

I'm already watching Dublin and Glasgow, thanks man for the heads up.

Cheers

Nigel

philouze
06-02-2015, 01:40 AM
My pleasure, mate!!! ;)