PDA

View Full Version : Obama P.I.

FORD
03-20-2015, 01:41 PM
Obama backers handle sale of ‘Magnum P.I.’ house, sparking speculation of a presidential move
BY Doyle Murphy
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/president-obama-buying-magnum-p-house-hawaii-article-1.2156151)
Thursday, March 19, 2015, 8:30 PM

http://static1.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.2156145.1426810559!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_635/magnumpi20n-4-web.jpg

A sprawling Hawaiian estate played host to ‘Magnum P.I.’ in the 1980s, but neighbors think President Obama could be moving in next.

It’s the case of the President and the mystery buyer.

The secretive sale of a Hawaiian estate used by TV sleuth Magnum P.I. to President Obama allies has neighbors wondering if the POTUS is moving in.

The famed “Robin’s Nest” was sold on Monday to a newly formed limited liability company represented by a Chicago lawyer tied to the president, KHON 2 reported.

The paper work was signed by a second person, apparently employed by Marty Nesbitt, a Chicago buddy who sometimes golfs with Obama in Hawaii, according to the station. Everyone involved in the deal signed non-disclosure agreements, shrouding the sale in mystery, the real estate agent said.

The $8.5 million manor was the fictional home of wealthy, never-seen novelist Robin Masters on the 1980s detective show. Tom Selleck’s crime-fighting playboy character, Thomas Magnum, ostensibly handled security for the estate and solved mysteries on the side as a private investigator.

The luxe digs were key for Magnum’s character who lived out a bachelor fantasy in the guest house.

In real life, the property is known as Pahonu, a secluded villa built in 1933 in Waimanalo on the island of O’ahu.

The five-bedroom house is surrounded by tennis courts, a “historic turtle pond” and ocean-front access with a boathouse and separate bath house, according to a real estate listing.

The 11,000-square-foot, gated home sits at 41-505 Kalanianaole Highway, backed by green mountains and stands of palm trees.

The buyers, Waimanalo Paradise LLC, inked a $9.5 million mortgage, suggesting there could be major renovations in store.

Chicago attorney and Obama donor Seth Madorsky was listed as the the contact for the company.

DONNIEP
03-20-2015, 01:53 PM
My buddy sent me this this morning. The estate is in poor shape these days. So major renovations would be necessary. Also, it's in just about the worst area a former president could live from a security standpoint. This place is literally right off the road and could easily be isolated. Plus there are NO private beaches in Hawaii - all beaches are public. So anybody can walk right up to the back gate. Plus it's a huge tourist attraction. and it's not a big piece of property. On the show it was said to encompass over 200 acres. But you can see from the overhead that it's not a big place.

If I bought that place, I'd restore it just like it was on Magnum and live in the "guest house" which is actually a hollow boat house. Plus I'd hire a little angry white dude to pretend to be Higgins 24/7. Then I'd buy me a chopper like TC's and hire a black dude to fly me around.

TFM_Dale
03-20-2015, 02:05 PM
Then I'd buy me a chopper like TC's and hire a black dude to fly me around.

Racist!

FORD
03-20-2015, 02:17 PM
Well, if it's in poor shape, then it would make sense to buy now, considering it wouldn't really need to be ready for occupancy until January 2017. That gives them a lot of time to fix the house and to enhance whatever security might be needed on the property.

This makes sense to me. Hawaii has always been "home" for Obama. It's where he goes for most holidays now, though grandma's house is probably a little small for permanent ex-prez occupancy. I don't see why he would want to move back to Chicago, and his mother in law can live in the guest house.

VetteLS5
03-20-2015, 03:38 PM
Plus I'd hire a little angry white dude to pretend to be Higgins 24/7

I know where you can find one of those, if he can still access PM's.

FORD
03-20-2015, 03:46 PM
ELVIS working for Obama?

That wouldn't be a remake of Magnum, that would be a remake of The Odd Couple. And I believe that's already on TV :biggrin:

Seshmeister
03-20-2015, 05:39 PM
Well, if it's in poor shape, then it would make sense to buy now, considering it wouldn't really need to be ready for occupancy until January 2017. That gives them a lot of time to fix the house and to enhance whatever security might be needed on the property.

This makes sense to me. Hawaii has always been "home" for Obama. It's where he goes for most holidays now, though grandma's house is probably a little small for permanent ex-prez occupancy. I don't see why he would want to move back to Chicago, and his mother in law can live in the guest house.

It's the paranoia(justified or not) of the Secret Service. The first time he went back to Chicago when in office did they not put a cordon around a couple of blocks around his house and he wasn't allowed to open the curtains on his windows. So next time he says lets go to the beach instead and they closed the beach and put air patrols above it.

Boohoo he chose to do the job but it does seem to be a bit of a nightmare.

DONNIEP
03-20-2015, 05:47 PM
It's the paranoia(justified or not) of the Secret Service. The first time he went back to Chicago when in office did they not put a cordon around a couple of blocks around his house and he wasn't allowed to open the curtains on his windows. So next time he says lets go to the beach instead and they closed the beach and put air patrols above it.

Boohoo he chose to do the job but it does seem to be a bit of a nightmare.

Don't see how he's going to be able to do that once he's no longer the prez. That estate isn't way off somewhere, there's other homes on either side. And on the other side of that little two lane road is a fuckin mountain. I can't imagine the people who live near there would tolerate much in the way of inconvenience just because a retired politician is living there. And that little spit of sand behind the property? Yeah, that's public property. Maybe I'll go for a visit, sit out there and drink cheap beer and recite Magnum's lines from some of my favorite episodes. Who knows, ol' Ubama might even be a Magnum fan and come out there and be my Rick. He's too skinny to be TC.

VetteLS5
03-20-2015, 08:04 PM
Who knows, ol' Ubama might even be a Magnum fan

DONNIEP
03-20-2015, 08:44 PM
Magnum usually drank Coops

http://s29.postimg.org/l200edy8n/image.jpg

Bonus points if you can guess which watch he's wearing.

Nitro Express
03-21-2015, 01:17 AM
I think Obama's retirement home should be Leavenworth Federal Prison. Yeah and not to pick on Barry we can throw all the rest of the criminals in with him. That might be most of Congress. Gee. We might have to fence in a prison colony for all of them.