PDA

View Full Version : Official July 14 Irvine, CA, Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Meetup/Review thread

Va Beach VH Fan
03-24-2015, 06:04 PM
Welcome to the Official July 14 Irvine, CA, Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Meetup/Review thread. This thread is to discuss anything leading up to the show, as well as all reviews.

Let's hear it !!

Va Beach VH Fan
07-14-2015, 03:05 PM
The Sammy Hagar era of Van Halen was so mediocre— The Paxton™ (@FingerOfPaxton) July 14, 2015

Va Beach VH Fan
07-14-2015, 03:05 PM
Gym, Eat, Tan, Van Halen.— Talia Skye (@Moroccandime) July 14, 2015

Va Beach VH Fan
07-14-2015, 03:06 PM
Tucker's seeing van halen tonight god damn call me jealous— Megan (@MeganPignataro) July 14, 2015

Va Beach VH Fan
07-14-2015, 03:07 PM
For anyone in Irvine -- there's a bunch of tickets for #VanHalen tonight available decently below face price: http://t.co/gtYssA4Lwx— TiqIQ (@TiqIQ) July 14, 2015

Va Beach VH Fan
07-14-2015, 03:19 PM
Van Halen concert today— Leo (@xLeoRoxX) July 14, 2015

Va Beach VH Fan
07-14-2015, 04:15 PM
Van Halen❤️ A photo posted by Deven Deanne Lusha (@devendeanne) on Jul 14, 2015 at 11:35am PDT

TwoFoolsAMinute
07-14-2015, 11:44 PM
Light Em Up!

Dan
07-15-2015, 12:59 AM
Van Halen❤️ A photo posted by Deven Deanne Lusha (@devendeanne) on Jul 14, 2015 at 11:35am PDT

I wonder If Dave Would get Her Up On Stage.:devildance:

Jetstream
07-15-2015, 04:43 AM
Just saw a video someone posted from facebook who worked the stage tonight. Roth came out to all the stagehands backstage and personally thanked all of them and that the band could not do it without their help... it was posted under 'still a class act' :)

Von Halen
07-15-2015, 08:36 AM
Just saw a video someone posted from facebook who worked the stage tonight. Roth came out to all the stagehands backstage and personally thanked all of them and that the band could not do it without their help... it was posted under 'still a class act' :)

Holy fucking shit.

Diamond Dave showing a little humility. What the fuck is the world coming to?

This probably says more to me about this tour, and the way things are really going, than anything that's been said, seen or reported, so far. Well, this and Wolf's tweet the other day.

Very cool of Dave to do that.

katina
07-15-2015, 09:04 AM
Runnin' With The Devil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALetTXuSk6Q

VAiN
07-15-2015, 09:46 AM

can you post a link?

VAiN
07-15-2015, 12:44 PM
This is very interesting... maybe another definitiveR live album?

Van Halen Tour being recorded into Pro Tools #vanhalen #protools #tour A photo posted by Chris Dorino (@chrisevh) on Jul 15, 2015 at 8:43am PDT

qikgts
07-15-2015, 01:16 PM
This is very interesting... maybe another definitiveR live album?

Van Halen Tour being recorded into Pro Tools #vanhalen #protools #tour A photo posted by Chris Dorino (@chrisevh) on Jul 15, 2015 at 8:43am PDT

Yeah well... They oughta let anyone who bought that Tokyo turd trade it in for this show! These clips show VH at their best in a looooong time!!!

binnie
07-15-2015, 03:19 PM
It's cool to see a buzz around the band again :D

Jetstream
07-15-2015, 04:14 PM
can you post a link?

It is one of those individual videos shown on one's facebook profile and I cannot find a way to share it, I have tried but cannot figure a way to save it... it really did make me view Roth in a different light because this is the local crew at Irvine who I suppose was called in to contibute with the permanent staff that travels with the band, and one can tell they did not expect Roth to walk back there and do what he did and they where surprised and very appreciated, it was Dave as a person at his best and it was awesome

I did not want to share the video link directly in a public format out of respect for the person. the guy might not have been happy having his name posted publically on the action that was personal and private directed at them for his sake and for Roth, but if anyone knows a way to save just the video and show it without a direct link to the guy's profile I would if he still has it on his profile

VAiN
07-15-2015, 04:42 PM
Here's that DLR video...

<div id="fb-root"></div><div class="fb-video" data-allowfullscreen="1" data-href="/tony.giraldo.12/videos/vb.100003807649786/629557970514452/?type=1"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><blockquote cite=""><a href=""></a><p></p></a> on Tuesday, July 14, 2015</blockquote></div></div>

Jetstream
07-15-2015, 04:45 PM
Thanks man!

78/84 guy
07-15-2015, 04:45 PM
Looks like a yawn fest around here !! I will say Dave is getting better. Panama was very good from this show. Makes me scratch my head why they released that Tokyo album. If I was a fair weather fan I wouldn't buy ticket's after listening too that.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-15-2015, 10:40 PM
http://blogs.ocweekly.com/heardmentality/2015/07/van_halen_irvine_meadows_amphitheater_71415.php

IceCreamBlondie
07-16-2015, 12:38 AM
Thanks guys for all the updates. !!! keeping me posted, and getting excited for the Hollywood Bowl shows. Hope VH keeps up the momentum and don't get burnt out!

IceCreamBlondie
07-16-2015, 12:41 AM
Looks like a yawn fest around here !! I will say Dave is getting better. Panama was very good from this show. Makes me scratch my head why they released that Tokyo album. If I was a fair weather fan I wouldn't buy ticket's after listening too that.

IMO, they released that Tokyo Album as an excuse to tour again and make some $$$. I thought the Tokyo album was good - - and I'll take any excuse to see Dave on stage again. :high5:

IceCreamBlondie
07-16-2015, 12:44 AM
Awesome Dave vid - made my day! Dave has class. :clap:

Catfish
07-16-2015, 01:39 AM
Here's my review of the Irvine Meadows show--a little late... I haven't been paying attention to the other reviews so I don't know what's been said and what hasn't.

Fifth time I've seen VH since DLR came back and this was EASILY the best show of the three tours. There was something about it from the start--it really felt like a band this time. I didn't realize that was missing until last night's show. Everything clicked. In '08 Dave was on and Ed was rough. In '12 Ed was on and Dave was bad. This time around they're ALL bringing it. And Wolf is at a new level--incredible.

Dave got the memo and was better than in '08. And his storytelling was fits--especially for the hometown crowd. On top of the brown M&Ms story during ICM, he talked about Gazarri's--a great story that had the crowd in the palm of his hand. About how there was an alleyway between Gazarri's and the next building that was "just wide enough for two people to fit into between sets... Two or three of you might be here tonight." LOL. "Ad we played 5-6 sets a night back then." Then he talked about how he and Alex stole lumber from a yard in Altadena to build Al's drum riser. "If you're hear tonight, we owe you some money."

I'll say it again--Dave is aging gracefully. If that means more Vaudeville and slip and slides on the stage, so be it. He looks great. He's in on the joke, too. He made a few jokes at his own expense about making up lyrics, "I don't need no fuckin' teleprompter!" His vamping and humor is as good as it ever was. Loved Dave after Al's solo: "How good was that, no one left to go to the bathroom!"

Everyone stood the entire 2-plus hours.

One thing I loved: Ed really seemed to have a great time with Dave. Ed called Dave out twice during the show "DAVID LEE EVERYONE!" which I've never heard before and even cracked two jokes into the mic (one when Dave said all he listens to is the bass, while looking at Wolf, and Ed said, "I don't blame him!"; and again during Dave's story about ear pieces).

I was blown away by how good the band sounded. DDL and SR were fantastic.

The strength of this show is making me seek out tickets for Hollywood Bowl in October.

Silexxx
07-16-2015, 08:06 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQKy2-7u7BA

"Dirty Movies"

Mr Walker
07-16-2015, 08:36 AM
Holy fucking shit.

Diamond Dave showing a little humility. What the fuck is the world coming to?

This probably says more to me about this tour, and the way things are really going, than anything that's been said, seen or reported, so far. Well, this and Wolf's tweet the other day.

Very cool of Dave to do that.

Perhaps David has learned to incorporate honor and respect into his lifestyle after emerging himself in Japanese culture for the past few years. I like how I saw him bow to each band member as they took the stage in one of the 'Light Up The Sky' videos that was posted from the tour.

Mr Walker
07-16-2015, 08:39 AM
Here's my review of the Irvine Meadows show--a little late...

Great review, old friend!

Seshmeister
07-16-2015, 08:55 AM

What Wolf tweeted.

This doesn't look like a band that hates each other to me I think they have kissed and made up. :)

Seshmeister
07-16-2015, 09:35 AM
YouTube -
Ryan Hennessey 2 hours ago
I've seen them 34 times since 82' and I'm not sad to say I'll be missing their upcoming gig outside of Boston. $300+ to hear that clown shit all over the incredible musicianship of the Van Halen's?!

Lighten up FrancisRyan... :D

Seshmeister
07-16-2015, 09:37 AM
This time around they're ALL bringing it. And Wolf is at a new level--incredible.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-16-2015, 10:36 AM
He made a few jokes at his own expense about making up lyrics, "I don't need no fuckin' teleprompter!"

There goes my "Ozzy monitor" suggestion.... ;)

Va Beach VH Fan
07-16-2015, 10:48 AM
And Wolf is at a new level--incredible.

You can hear Wolf really well in that front row vid.... I'm not a gearhead, but sounds great.....

Seshmeister
07-16-2015, 11:34 AM
Let my bass player hear it and he said it's too busy in places and should drop the distortion pedal but apart from that...

I'm less critical, it's not full Billy Sheehan which is too much on Van Halen but he's adding some to MA.

If you want the record, just listen to the record.

ToraToraTora
07-16-2015, 11:38 AM
What Wolf tweeted.

This doesn't look like a band that hates each other to me I think they have kissed and made up. :)

This would have been a whole lot better if Brian May's Perm hadn't decided to go see the band and block the camera with his HUGE head!!

Seshmeister
07-16-2015, 11:44 AM
This would have been a whole lot better if Brian May's Perm hadn't decided to go see the band and block the camera with his HUGE head!!

Although to be fair I wouldn't want to be standing behind these people holding up their cameras...

BumBahDeeDah
07-16-2015, 12:17 PM
Let my bass player hear it and he said it's too busy in places and should drop the distortion pedal but apart from that...

I'm less critical, it's not full Billy Sheehan which is too much on Van Halen but he's adding some to MA.

If you want the record, just listen to the record.

Yeah, I wouldn't say drop the distortion totally, but definitely turn it down, make it less muddy, it might make the busy-ness sound less busy, too.

Speaking of busy...
This kid's reaction.

DLR Bridge
07-16-2015, 12:27 PM
I do think that little blast of distortion to his bass gives his contribution to the band a bit of a rhythm guitarist quality. I believe Ed once referred to him as a 'rhythm guitar on bass' or something like that.

He does play a little busy at times, but it's probably out of boredom in some cases. Check out just about any clip of RWTD. He jazzes that up a lot. I'm sure it's hard to resist once you've played "thump thump thump thump..." a few hundred times.

PETE'S BROTHER
07-16-2015, 12:39 PM
well thank the dear lord in heaven there is somethin' else to bitch about :biggrin:

Catfish
07-16-2015, 02:28 PM
Forgot to mention this in my review. Again, i don't know if this has been done in previous shows: During DTNA Dave talked about talking to Steven Tyler last year and how he's a legend and how he liked Dave's suit that day. Then as the song continued Dave said: "sing it like Aerosmith!" And did Tyler's trademark yeta-yeta-yeta-yeta screetch. LMAO! Never heard Dave give another singer props like that. Hilarious!

Jrme Frenchise
07-16-2015, 05:09 PM

Another 'if it's the only thing to bitch about": Dave still sings "full top and top down", but hey...

And yes, it looks like Brian May's wig before the camera.

May they sound and get their kicks like this thoughout the tour, and release a goddamn DVD before Xmas! :)

78/84 guy
07-16-2015, 06:05 PM
I do think that little blast of distortion to his bass gives his contribution to the band a bit of a rhythm guitarist quality. I believe Ed once referred to him as a 'rhythm guitar on bass' or something like that.

He does play a little busy at times, but it's probably out of boredom in some cases. Check out just about any clip of RWTD. He jazzes that up a lot. I'm sure it's hard to resist once you've played "thump thump thump thump..." a few hundred times.

Think that's about it. A little more filler. Hard to argue his talent. And I am starting too think they recorded the wrong tour for a live album. Dave is getting his mojo back.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-16-2015, 06:37 PM
From Malcolm Instagram...

PHOTO TAKEN BY @visions_of_rocknroll #wolfgangvanhalen #tagforlikes #tagstagram #instalike #vanhalen #davidleeroth #guitar #eddievanhalen #drums #diamonddave #legend #concert #evh #picoftheday #tour #alexvanhalen #edwardvanhalen #dlr #bass #instagood #music #rockandroll #ludwig #followme #photooftheday #dri #summer #boombox #mountaindew A photo posted by Malcolm Van Halen (@van_halen2015) on Jul 16, 2015 at 3:17pm PDT

Va Beach VH Fan
07-16-2015, 07:12 PM
Calm before the storm #VanHalen #MountainView A photo posted by Patrick Bertinelli (@pbertinelli) on Jul 16, 2015 at 3:58pm PDT