PDA

View Full Version : More scientists doubt salt is as bad for you as the government says

ELVIS
04-07-2015, 10:08 AM
Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/04/06/more-scientists-doubt-salt-is-as-bad-for-you-as-the-government-says/)

For years, the federal government has advised Americans that they are eating too much salt, and that this excess contributes yearly to the deaths of tens of thousands of people.

But unknown to many shoppers urged to buy foods that are “low sodium” and “low salt,” this longstanding warning has come under assault by scientists who say that typical American salt consumption is without risk.

Moreover, according to studies published in recent years by pillars of the medical community, the low levels of salt recommended by the government might actually be dangerous.

“There is no longer any valid basis for the current salt guidelines,” said Andrew Mente, a professor at McMaster University in Ontario and one of the researchers involved in a major study published last year by the New England Journal of Medicine. “So why are we still scaring people about salt?”

But the debate over dietary salt is among the most contentious in the field of nutrition, and other scientists, including the leadership of the American Heart Association, continue to support the decades-old warning.

The result is that as the federal government prepares its influential Dietary Guidelines for 2015, bureaucrats confront a quandary: They must either retract one of their oldest dietary commandments - or overlook these prominent new doubts.

The U.S. Dietary Guidelines cover an array of nutritional issues including cholesterol, fat and sugars. They have broad effects on American menus, shaping school lunches, guiding advertisers, and serve as a touchstone for reams of diet advice.

Dennis Bier, a professor at Baylor College of Medicine said that as the editor of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, he has been trying to stay neutral in what he considers the “hot buttonest” of topics.

“When you are making recommendations for 300 million people, you have to be concerned about any data that suggests harm,” Bier said.

A spokesperson for the Department of Health and Human Services said that the federal guidelines will consider comments from the public and the advice of its science panel. Known as the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee, that panel in February generally reaffirmed the current salt warning.

No matter what the government comes up with on salt, however, Americans may be left confused.

The scientific question: How much is too much?

There is one area of consensus: Both sides agree that eating too much salt, especially for people with high blood pressure, can be dangerous.

The critical disagreement concerns how to define “too much.”

Under the current dietary guidelines, too much is more than 2,300 milligrams of sodium per day - the amount of sodium in a teaspoon of salt. (For people over 50, and for African-Americans, the current recommended intake is even lower - 1,500 milligrams per day.)

If the U.S. salt warnings are correct, Americans are indeed endangering themselves on a massive scale. Americans typically go way over the limit, ingesting about 3,500 milligrams per day.

If the skeptics are correct, on the other hand, most Americans are fine. In their view, a typical healthy person can consume as much as 6,000 milligrams per day without significantly raising health risks. But consuming too little - somewhere below 3,000 milligrams - also raises health risks, they say.

To understand how divided scientists are on salt, consider that even authorities with the American Heart Association, one of the organizations promoting the current salt limits, don’t agree.

“The totality of the evidence strongly suggests that Americans should be lowering their sodium intake,” said Elliott Antman, the president of the American Heart Association. “Everyone agrees that current sodium intake is too high.”

This is the long-established view. It is based on the observation that, in some people, reducing salt consumption can lower blood pressure. Because high blood pressure is common and raises the risk of cardiovascular troubles, strict salt limits will benefit society, according to this view.

None of this is persuasive to people like Suzanne Oparil, a former president of the American Heart Association.

For one thing, the blood-pressure reductions that come from abstaining from salt are relatively small on average, because individuals vary widely in their reactions. (An average person who reduces his or her salt intake from median levels to the U.S. recommended levels may see a drop in blood pressure from 120/80 to 118/79, according to American Heart Association figures.)

FORD
04-07-2015, 12:17 PM
It's the commercially processed foods that have way too much salt. Some foods can do just fine without salt in them. I buy unsalted peanut butter, and it's great. But I don't put it on "low sodium" bread, because that shit tastes like cardboard.

Salt has it's uses though. It's a far better antihistamine than most of the over the counter products. Had some nasty allergies clogging up my nose last week. Shot a little bit of salt water up my nose and it worked almost instantly.

I do have to watch my blood pressure though, so I'm always conscious of the sodium intake. As Mick & Keith wrote (while in their 20s) "What a drag it is getting old...."

ELVIS
04-07-2015, 12:37 PM
You need salt, period...

FORD
04-07-2015, 01:12 PM
Sure, you need some for the body to function correctly, since you piss or sweat a lot of it out. I was lucky enougb to grow up in a home with a mother who knew how to cook without using a lot of salt, and so when I cook myself, I don't use a lot. It's when I get lazy and use something out of a can, a jar, or the freezer that I get into trouble with excess sodium.

Seshmeister
04-07-2015, 01:12 PM
Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/04/06/more-scientists-doubt-salt-is-as-bad-for-you-as-the-government-says/)

For years, the federal government has advised Americans that they are eating too much salt, and that this excess contributes yearly to the deaths of tens of thousands of people.

What a bad way to start the article, doesn't make you feel like reading more.

Eating too much of fucking anything is like um too much.

Jeez I guess the days of Woodward and Bernstein are long behind us...

Seshmeister
04-07-2015, 01:14 PM
You need salt, period...

This is this amounts confusion you seem to have with CO2, salt, posts on the internet.

Because some of something is good doesn't mean lots and lots of it is also good.

Not rocket surgery but we'll keep trying to get it across.

FORD
04-07-2015, 01:15 PM
What a bad way to start the article, doesn't make you feel like reading more.

Eating too much of fucking anything is like um too much.

Jeez I guess the days of Woodward and Bernstein are long behind us...

The Washington Post is now owned by Jeff Bezos, so I'm actually surprised the article doesn't have links to low sodium cookbooks available at Amazon.com

vandeleur
04-07-2015, 01:17 PM
The telegraph posted the same article but came at from a different angle and different conclusion.
I didn't repost it due to the saying

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Thank you George.

That and the fact who gives a fuck , do what your gonna do. Avoid all the salt you like and brag about it as you drink a bottle of whisky or play with your phone whilst you drive or blah blah blah

Seshmeister
04-07-2015, 01:18 PM
At least it seems to be based on some scientific research and not the just the latest food fad but the writing isn't great.

Seshmeister
04-07-2015, 01:21 PM
The telegraph posted the same article but came at from a different angle and different conclusion.

These days the conclusion the Telegraph came to will have depended entirely on whether they have any advertising revenue coming from salt manufacturers.

Allegedly. :)

vandeleur
04-07-2015, 01:24 PM
If am in the mood I sometimes read E articles just to prove to myself he hasn't :)

vandeleur
04-07-2015, 01:26 PM
You know the ones. The moon is made of cheese, to much cheese is bad for you.

vandeleur
04-07-2015, 01:28 PM
Or a well known Doctor has written a book on why children will not eat green eggs and ham.

It's a doctor so it's true :D

DONNIEP
04-07-2015, 01:30 PM
This is this amounts confusion you seem to have

For the love of God, speak English man!

:biggrin:

vandeleur
04-07-2015, 01:36 PM
English !!!! Fuckin hell ........ Runs for cover

ELVIS
04-07-2015, 01:50 PM
but we'll keep trying

And never succeed...

ELVIS
04-07-2015, 01:50 PM
The Washington Post is now owned by Jeff Bezos, so I'm actually surprised the article doesn't have links to low sodium cookbooks available at Amazon.com

Oh, stop with the BS...

Seshmeister
04-07-2015, 06:25 PM
For the love of God, speak English man!

:biggrin:

It's a little clumsy but read slowly it works... :D

Nickdfresh
04-07-2015, 11:30 PM
You know the ones. The moon is made of cheese, to much cheese is bad for you.

http://aun-tv.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/kimjungunUniform.jpg
Shut up!

Angel
04-08-2015, 12:37 AM
I stopped adding salt to my food in the 80's. Had to start adding it again in the 90's due to low sodium levels. BP 52/46 is not something I want to experience again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DONNIEP
04-08-2015, 12:43 AM
I have to admit, I didn't read any of the posts here. So I'm gonna assume salt is either super good for you or really bad for you. But in the real world, it probably pales in comparison to what most of us put in our bodies on a weekly basis. Except for all the super health food freaks that occupy this board. Riiiigggghhhtttt....

Personally I never add salt to anything after it's cooked. And I use very little when I cook. I just can't stand salty food.

Nitro Express
04-08-2015, 06:31 AM
I have to admit, I didn't read any of the posts here. So I'm gonna assume salt is either super good for you or really bad for you. But in the real world, it probably pales in comparison to what most of us put in our bodies on a weekly basis. Except for all the super health food freaks that occupy this board. Riiiigggghhhtttt....

Personally I never add salt to anything after it's cooked. And I use very little when I cook. I just can't stand salty food.

When the professor in biology lab was saying semen is full of sugar to give the sperm energy to swim a girl asks if semen is full of sugar then why does it taste so salty?