PDA

View Full Version : Trailer for The Martian

vandeleur
06-08-2015, 11:47 AM
Trailer for the Martian , cool book

http://youtu.be/Ue4PCI0NamI

Seshmeister
06-08-2015, 12:03 PM
I don't watch trailers that long unless I'm sure I will never go to see the film they usually give away 70-90% of it away including the end and if it's a comedy the best lines. One of these trailers nowadays for Star Wars would definitely show the Death Star blowing up.

I read the book based on a recommendation here(you?) and it's good.

I'm not completely convinced it would make an amazing movie but with it being Ridley I'll probably give it a go although he's not been on form of late.

vandeleur
06-08-2015, 12:06 PM
From the trailer it looks good , hope the humour carries over. The big surprise of the book was how funny it was.

vandeleur
06-08-2015, 12:09 PM
One of these trailers nowadays for Star Wars would definitely show the Death Star blowing up

Woah they blow up the Death Star :D

DONNIEP
06-08-2015, 12:25 PM
I had no idea this was being made into a movie. The book was insanely good. And hilarious in parts, too. Mmm...suddenly I want me a big fat baked potato...

Seshmeister
06-08-2015, 12:47 PM
Worst spoiler ever was the cover of the Planet of the Apes Video,DVD, DVD Boxset, they just kept doing it... :)

http://pk.mine.nu/images/10343f.jpg

ZahZoo
06-08-2015, 12:51 PM
Looks like a fun movie... I'll go see it. Maybe read the book afterwards...

DONNIEP
06-08-2015, 12:56 PM
Looks like a fun movie... I'll go see it. Maybe read the book afterwards...

Do yourself a favor and read it now. You'll thank me, trust me. It's that good. It's not all dark and desperate like parts of the trailer make it seem.

vandeleur
06-08-2015, 01:00 PM
The guy has a sense of humour all the way through.
I new I wasn't gonna be an astronaut when he had potatoes and I instantly thought wow make a still .
NASA control : sir we have a man pissing fu on the surface of Mars :)

Funny
06-08-2015, 01:16 PM
Do yourself a favor and read it now. You'll thank me, trust me. It's that good. It's not all dark and desperate like parts of the trailer make it seem.

One of the best books I've read in a long time. A bit geeky at times but the way he overcomes the situations he faces on the planet is very believable. Interesting that it was published on the internet for free before it captured a large enough audience to be published.

DONNIEP
06-08-2015, 01:24 PM
The guy has a sense of humour all the way through.
I new I wasn't gonna be an astronaut when he had potatoes and I instantly thought wow make a still .
NASA control : sir we have a man pissing fu on the surface of Mars :)

I thought the same thing. But then the lack of water kinda kills the idea.

VAiN
06-08-2015, 05:43 PM
I'm not a book guy, so I'll have to wait for the movie, but it looks awesome.

VAiN
06-08-2015, 05:44 PM
Worst spoiler ever was the cover of the Planet of the Apes Video,DVD, DVD Boxset, they just kept doing it... :)

http://pk.mine.nu/images/10343f.jpg

This post makes me miss Elvis. You're just teeing it up.

twonabomber
06-09-2015, 08:03 AM
Just put the book on my tablet.

Not a big Matt Damon fan, but the trailer this looks interesting.

ZahZoo
06-09-2015, 08:54 AM

I'm too analytical... so I've learned if I read the book before seeing the movie then I spend the whole 2 hours tracing where they nailed or deviated from the original story. I find I enjoy the entertainment value in the movie better if I don't already have the story and punchlines in my head...

DLR Bridge
06-09-2015, 10:22 AM
Watched this preview and couldn't help but think "of coooouurssse Matt Damon gets this role". Would be so much more enjoyable and believable with an unknown. Then again, I thought the same thing about Tom Hanks in Castaway and he fuckin' nailed that role. Maybe there's just something about Damon's face and perpetual Tom Cruise-esque role choices that has worn on me.

vandeleur
06-09-2015, 11:33 AM
Matt has nailed the stuck on another planet role , first interstellar and now this.

vandeleur
06-09-2015, 11:34 AM
We are on first name terms :)

Anonymous
06-09-2015, 11:59 AM
We are on first name terms :)

Et tu, Vandy?

Cheers! :beers:

High Life Man
06-11-2015, 12:16 AM
Read the book, I liked it. Yes, it was funny. BUT....he has a wife and kids in the movie? Boo.

twonabomber
06-24-2015, 07:05 AM
So far the book is pretty good. I'm around the part where JPL gets involved.

twonabomber
06-28-2015, 10:08 AM
Finished up the book yesterday. Good story. Maybe I'll go see it in the theater.

vandeleur
10-05-2015, 02:39 PM
Went to see the movie yesterday , took the full clan. Even stumped up for 3d.
Very good, a couple of changes but very good.

DONNIEP
10-05-2015, 06:40 PM
Went to see the movie yesterday , took the full clan. Even stumped up for 3d.
Very good, a couple of changes but very good.

3D?? Posh.

I'm gonna check it out this weekend. It was raining like a bitch here this past weekend and I had spent all my fun stuff money for the week hoarding ammo before Ubama comes to take'r guns!! Dickerderrrrr!!

vandeleur
10-05-2015, 06:46 PM
3D?? Posh.

I'm gonna check it out this weekend. It was raining like a bitch here this past weekend and I had spent all my fun stuff money for the week hoarding ammo before Ubama comes to take'r guns!! Dickerderrrrr!!

You know when you wake up after a proper session and you have " unspecific guilt syndrome " and think what the fuck happened last night , is that not compounded when your house has an armoury :)

High Life Man
10-07-2015, 11:59 PM
Went last night. Liked it. Actually, some of the cinematography is amazing. Glad they cut out the rover tests and the duststorm. The end was a little cheesy, but overall, a decent flick. And I was wrong, much like the book, he doesn't have a wife and children. The trailers made it look like he did.

DONNIEP
10-17-2015, 08:28 PM
You know when you wake up after a proper session and you have " unspecific guilt syndrome " and think what the fuck happened last night , is that not compounded when your house has an armoury :)

No, the first rule of shootin and hollerin is never do it while drankin. The guns stay in the safes and I defend myself from roving gangs with a dull knife so I won't cut myself.

DONNIEP
10-17-2015, 08:34 PM
Ok so went to see the picture today. Awesome movie. Outstanding visuals. Very true to the book as I remember. Spring for the 3D - it's worth it.

I wish I had me one of those habitats in my back yard so I could get drunk and play Martian. I want one of those surface suits they wore too. I'd wear it to The Walmart!

twonabomber
01-24-2016, 09:58 PM
Finally watched it. Very good, even though I read the book and pretty much knew what was gonna happen.

Seshmeister
01-24-2016, 10:23 PM
It winning Best Comedy at the Golden Globes was ludicrous though...

twonabomber
01-24-2016, 10:29 PM
well, yeah.

vandeleur
01-25-2016, 01:29 AM
I didn't understand the whole comedy win , first I heard of it was when judd appatow complained about it. there are moments of humour in it but it's like the force awakens winning the best foreign language film for the bar scene.

twonabomber
01-25-2016, 01:34 AM
I don't follow the Globes at all and the only thing I can figure is they limit the amount of nominees and Best Picture was already full?

I think I laughed more reading the book than watching the movie.

Jérôme Frenchise
01-25-2016, 03:15 AM
I wish I had me one of those habitats in my back yard so I could get drunk and play Martian.

04:30 on. :D

Jérôme Frenchise
01-25-2016, 03:25 AM
I think I laughed more reading the book than watching the movie.

So did I. A damn lot more. The movie is very good, but you don't get one tenth of the humor, depth and finesse from the novel. Not mentioning all the unfortunately necessary shortcuts in the plot...

I was less disappointed than I expected by that movie, though.

Best comedy of the year?? Maybe the BOOK was the most entertaining. Did the jury have Weir's novel in mind?

twonabomber
01-25-2016, 03:34 AM
So did I. A damn lot more. The movie is very good, but you don't get one tenth of the humor, depth and finesse from the novel. Not mentioning all the unfortunately necessary shortcuts in the plot...

And about 80% less of the science, which is good because it could have slowed the movie way down.

Jérôme Frenchise
01-25-2016, 03:41 AM
And about 80% less of the science, which is good because it could have slowed the movie way down.

That's right too. Maybe not the whole technical and scientifical explanations, but at least a few more of them.

Going fast is peculiar to that kind of movies though. What a bore, BTW, being bombed with avalanches of changing shots...

vandeleur
01-25-2016, 05:52 AM
I thought the movie was a lot better than expected , the book is pretty much unfilmable. It's mainly one bloke cracking gags and lots of tech stuff . The audience for that is probably us 3 :)

Jérôme Frenchise
01-25-2016, 09:39 AM
Yup. Not exactly profitable... :D

My wife would rather read the book first, though she knows she'll be disappointed with the movie.
Anyway, I'd rather read the book after seeing the movie than the contrary, in general.
Best examples for me were "A Clockwork Orange" and "The Shining".