PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Drunk

Seshmeister
07-19-2015, 10:55 AM
Impressive stats...

http://www.drunkard.com/issues/10_06/10_06_andre_giant.html

Terry
07-19-2015, 11:26 AM
The year or so period in the mid-1980s when I actually paid attention to wrestling (mostly because the media hype surrounding it became so huge I was wondering what I was missing out on), Andre never struck me as much more than a sort of oversized freak who had been active in the business a long time. While I never caught the wrestling bug - or fever, or whatever - I seem to recall that Andre would just kind of slowly lumber around the ring, and wasn't particularly exciting to watch.

Reading the article Sesh posted above actually makes me appreciate him much more. Not in terms of his status in the history of entertainment wrestling (I still don't give a shit about it), but just as being a big, sloppy drunk.

vandeleur
07-19-2015, 02:08 PM
Yeah he got his round in I will give him that :)

cadaverdog
07-19-2015, 04:09 PM
I think quite a few professional wrestlers were big time drunkards. Ric Flair has showed up for interviews drunk off his ass on numerous occaisons. Supposedly Jim Ross, long time professional wrestling announcer was fired from the WWE last time for letting Flair ramble on without trying to reel him in during an interview even though there were numerous other wrestlers there waiting to get their turn. I've seen other alkies turn beet red and start foaming at the mouth like Flair does now when he gets over excited talking shit in interviews. I quit watching wrestling a short time back but the last few times I saw Flair being interviewed I'd swear he was gonna stroke out any minute. I'm pretty sure Steve Williams AKA Stone Cold Steve Austin is a big time alkie too. The WWE promoted him as a hard core alkie brawler but I think he really is or was one during his heyday. As part of his act he grabs two beers at a time and shotguns them. People who have been close enough to actually get sprayed by the contents of the numerous cans he empties during that part of his act swear it's really beer but that doesn't mean it's not non alcoholic beer but I'd be willing to bet based upon his off screen antics it's the real shit. It's not uncommon to hear stories about wrestlers in bars being heckled by non believers and going off on a drunken rampage and destroying the place. Seems like they've gotten away from the image of some wrestlers as drunken brawlers nowdays but if you ask me I'd say they need to bring that kind of wrestler back. The wrestlers and their story lines now are quite boring IMO.

PETE'S BROTHER
07-20-2015, 11:51 AM

WARF
07-20-2015, 12:43 PM
I'm very disappointed this article isn't about ME.

PETE'S BROTHER
07-20-2015, 01:00 PM
it'll get there ;)

private parts
07-20-2015, 04:10 PM
I got to shake the Giant's hand when I was about 14. He could grasp a gallon jug of beer and it would look like a tea cup in his hand.
And yes we used to be able to by beer on draft by the gallon jug where I grew up.

twonabomber
07-20-2015, 09:38 PM
I'm pretty sure Steve Williams AKA Stone Cold Steve Austin is a big time alkie too. The WWE promoted him as a hard core alkie brawler but I think he really is or was one during his heyday. As part of his act he grabs two beers at a time and shotguns them.

Austin spilled a lot of that beer.