PDA

View Full Version : Scott Weiland...dead

twonabomber
12-04-2015, 06:33 AM
MEDINA, Minn. (AP) — Scott Weiland, the former frontman for the Stone Temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver, has died. He was 48.

The singer's manager, Tom Vitorino, confirmed the death to The Associated Press early Friday morning. Vitorino said he learned of Weiland's death from his tour manager but did not provide further details.

Weiland's current band, Scott Weiland & the Wildabouts, was scheduled to play at a Medina, Minnesota, concert venue, according to the venue's website. The website showed the event was canceled.

Local authorities couldn't immediately be reached for comment by the AP.

Weiland was dogged by substance abuse problems throughout his career.

Fairwrning
12-04-2015, 07:07 AM
Predictable and expected..like an EVH guitar solo..

DLR Bridge
12-04-2015, 07:51 AM
I hate that I have to agree with that, but it did really seem like only a matter of time. The last interview I heard with him almost sounded like his tour manager was opening and closing his mouth for him to grunt "yeah" or "no".

What an unfortunate waste.

Von Halen
12-04-2015, 07:59 AM
Damn. 48 years old. What a shame. His fucking guitar player passes the night before the album release, and now him. Dude made some great music.

Seshmeister
12-04-2015, 08:14 AM
48 was a good innings considering...

Von Halen
12-04-2015, 08:58 AM
48 was a good innings considering...

Do you want to die at 48?

DLR Bridge
12-04-2015, 09:29 AM

I think he means considering heavy, life threatening drugs were involved for at least 30 of those years, that 48 was a good run.

FORD
12-04-2015, 09:49 AM
I'm actually surprised he lasted as long as he did. I figured he would be gone about 6 months after Vomit Retriever broke up.

DONNIEP
12-04-2015, 10:26 AM
All I can say is heroin must be some good shit. I'm glad I never tried it.

Sucks that he couldn't clean up, at least lose the dugs and stick with beers (I would say cheap American beers but Ford ruined that illusion for me). Without the drugs the guy was one of the last rock stars. Or maybe because of drugs he will be remembered as one of the last rock stars.

Angel
12-04-2015, 10:47 AM

Sucks that he couldn't clean up, at least lose the dugs and stick with beers (I would say cheap American beers but Ford ruined that illusion for me). Without the drugs the guy was one of the last rock stars. Or maybe because of drugs he will be remembered as one of the last rock stars.
From my post at the Links:

My uncle would be 1 out of the 10 then. He was a tremendous athlete with a mid 90s fastball who, while pitching in college in the 70s, got caught up in the partying and no matter what anyone tried, never did truly escape the lifestyle that ruined his athletic career and ultimately his life.<br />
That's the impact of drugs on the brain. NMDA receptors get blocked by the drugs and the glutamate doesn't get through. Dopamine receptors get all out of whack as does the production of opiates (yes, our brains produce natural opiates). <br />
<br />
I highly recommend Marc Lewis' book. Really helps one to understand the neuroscience behind addiction...and in my case make me question just how much I fucked up my brain by being an acid freak during adolescence...

DLR Bridge
12-04-2015, 12:04 PM
Angel, that is fascinating, and if true, which I fully expect it is, kind of cancels out the the whole 'the addict has to want to get help, you can't force them to do so' thing I always hear. If your brain is fried, how would you know? You need your brain to determine such a thing.

Angel
12-04-2015, 12:15 PM
I'm just finishing the book "Memoirs of an Addicted Brain" by Carl Lewis, PHD. Neurologist who used to be a junkie. Fascinating read.

There, I fucking changed it. Happy now Sesh?

cadaverdog
12-04-2015, 12:46 PM

Me neither. I hate needles. Luckilly nobody ever offered me any that was snortable when I was really into drugs in my late teens, early twenties. I had an old friend who liked the shit. Everytime he seemed to be getting his shit together he'd fuck around with that shit and he'd end up broke and jobless again.

jacksmar
12-04-2015, 05:31 PM

“I’m incredibly honored to have that opportunity, because they’re one of the greatest rock and roll bands of all time, and Jim Morrison was a huge inspiration and influence on me, probably for better and for worse.”

weiland wanted to die at 33..........

78/84 guy
12-04-2015, 05:35 PM
Bummer about Scott. Think he was a great songwriter. Underrated to a point. Probably because of his very public personal demons sadly. What waste. Shit how many 90's guy's are left ? Vedder and Corrnell ? I was just at that hotel a few months back. By the mall of America. I thought of going too see him but that video posted on her a few months back was just too sad. I seen him with Slash and STP. He was pretty fun too watch.

TFM_Dale
12-04-2015, 06:01 PM
Sucks man. I loved STP, liked Velvet Revolver, great talent once again taken from us by fucking drugs.

78/84 guy
12-04-2015, 07:20 PM
Sucks man. I loved STP, liked Velvet Revolver, great talent once again taken from us by fucking drugs.

Local news said they found coke on the bus in his room. Arrested another band member Tommy Black for possession.

Terry
12-04-2015, 09:25 PM
I suppose it should feel like a shame, or a tragedy, or a waste of talent.

However, it doesn't really feel like any of those things to me.

I'd agree it was seemingly more surprising he lasted as long as he did (regardless of his death being the result of an overdose or longtime drug abuse or what) than that he died at 48.

It doesn't seem like a shame, though. Everyone has free will. And everyone is free to use it. Some people like being fucked up on drugs. And that's fine, but it doesn't make it a shame to me if they die from drug abuse, though. It doesn't really feel like a tragedy, either. And as for a waste of talent, well, I loved STP. At least the first 4 albums. After that, every time STP broke up and reformed, the results were less and less interesting for me. My feelings toward Velvet Revolver were mild at best, and Weiland's solo albums were pretty much a joke to me ears. Creatively, Weiland has been of no use to me for well over a decade.

The only shame and tragedy I can see is that for years I kept wanting to see STP live, had several chances to, and for various reasons kept blowing off the opportunities.

Beyond that, I really can't get too distraught over another meathead rock star dying young from drugs. It's beyond cliché.

DLR Bridge
12-04-2015, 11:10 PM
http://youtu.be/BUZVi8la_6c

This guy was not in a good way. This is pretty recent.

DONNIEP
12-04-2015, 11:31 PM
http://youtu.be/BUZVi8la_6c

This guy was not in a good way. This is pretty recent.

Yeah, the guy was fucked up like a rubber duck in that interview. The show host worked it hard though. Gotta give him props for trying to salvage that train wreck.

DLR Bridge
12-04-2015, 11:59 PM
The host was stoked in the beginning, then became morose. Amazing how someone can suck the air out of the room through the phone.

DONNIEP
12-05-2015, 12:32 AM
The host was stoked in the beginning, then became morose. Amazing how someone can suck the air out of the room through the phone.

Ed did it 30 + years ago in the interview that was released several years ago. Then he did it in another interview where he was asked about what the band had planned after the 1984 tour and he said something like you have to ask him while Dave was holding court and running an after show party.

So sucking the life out of a room ain't new. Ed and his retarded brother mastered the technique in the mid 80s. They cuntinued it during the Gary Fag Tour with their infamous Australian interview. In other words - Ed and Al may have been the guys that figured it out and employed it consciously.

Scott? He was, sadly, too fucked up. Dude just couldn't shake the horse. Some people just can't get past some things. I can relate. My demon, luckily, only shows up in the middle of the night and could care less if I'm buzzed or sober. But this guy's demon seemed to chase him around all day and all nite.

Seshmeister
12-05-2015, 11:09 PM

This isn't some kid dying it's not death by misadventure it's death by lifestyle.

He died doing what he liked to do which is getting fucked up. Where I'm from people smoke tobacco and drink a lot of booze and it's very common to die in your mid 50s just from that like Gary Moore. I'm all for it if that's what people wish to choose to do with their lives, clinging to a rock flying through space is stressful and there are a lot of people who lead dull pointless lives who die old.

Plus there are all the people that do nothing 'wrong' at all that we all know who suddenly die of some shitty random cancer in their 40s. Unless you knew him personally crying over this guy seems silly.

Seshmeister
12-05-2015, 11:14 PM
Scott? He was, sadly, too fucked up. Dude just couldn't shake the horse. Some people just can't get past some things. I can relate. My demon, luckily, only shows up in the middle of the night and could care less if I'm buzzed or sober. But this guy's demon seemed to chase him around all day and all nite.

Chronic masturbation syndrome must be a bummer but as you get older it's bound to calm down...