PDA

View Full Version : Jefferson Airplane’s Paul Kantner dies at 74

Va Beach VH Fan
01-28-2016, 07:08 PM
Geezus, enough already!

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Jefferson-Airplane-s-Paul-Kantner-dies-at-74-6791483.php?cmpid=twitter-desktop

Paul Kantner, one of the giants of the San Francisco music scene, died Thursday, Jan. 28, of multiple organ failure. Mr. Kantner, founding member of the Jefferson Airplane, was 74 and had suffered a heart attack earlier this week.

His death was confirmed by longtime publicist and friend, Cynthia Bowman.

Mr. Kantner was also a founder of the band’s spinoff, Jefferson Starship.

Further details will be announced.

DONNIEP
01-28-2016, 07:26 PM
We ain't built to last. Before long there won't be any of the old guys left. Sucks.

Kristy
01-28-2016, 07:32 PM
:bong2::happy0158:

PETE'S BROTHER
01-28-2016, 07:33 PM
We ain't built to last. Before long there won't be any of the old guys left. Sucks.

that's us :headlights:

FORD
01-28-2016, 07:37 PM
This has to be some sort of record shit month for rockers dropping dead.

RIP Paul :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzHBr0ndKus

Kristy
01-28-2016, 07:37 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/__L4hXkVrSRU/S-bsg5QqC4I/AAAAAAAACgE/cZ755ED5aV0/s1600/david_lee_roth.jpg
Better luck next time.

FORD
01-28-2016, 08:03 PM
From the infamous Altamont concert in 1969....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3JvyvgPtN4

Kristy
01-28-2016, 08:09 PM
A hippie dies and only slave FORD gives a shit.

VHscraps
01-28-2016, 08:09 PM

And then we're next ... haha!

Rock'n'roll will probably be no more than a little speck on the page of history in 100 years, soon forgotten about ... along with much else. If it doesn't get banned first for being offensive to the oh-so sensitive little things that are gonna take over everything in due course.

DONNIEP
01-28-2016, 09:00 PM
that's us :headlights:

Yeah, the Reaper is coming for us all. I honestly believe we all have an expiration date, kinda like Replicants. The shitty thing is we don't know what it is. So we spend almost 20 years arguing about stupid shit about some stupid band that has never once done anything for the idiots that sit around arguing about what they have or haven't done.

Well, at least we have each other. Now - who wants another beer?

Terry
01-28-2016, 09:12 PM
This has to be some sort of record shit month for rockers dropping dead.

RIP Paul :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzHBr0ndKus

Yeah, when Bowie died my thoughts went from the clichéd (and probably inaccurate to begin with) "these things happen in threes" to "now that I think of it, there are a LOT of rock stars/movie & tv actors I've liked for 30+ years who are getting up there in years." I mean, fucks sake, Abe Vigoda was older than dirt, and there are a lot more right up there in age.

They might start punting out in rapid succession. Just a function of life.

Terry
01-28-2016, 09:19 PM
And then we're next ... haha!

Rock'n'roll will probably be no more than a little speck on the page of history in 100 years, soon forgotten about ... along with much else. If it doesn't get banned first for being offensive to the oh-so sensitive little things that are gonna take over everything in due course.

Meh.

"Rock 'n' roll" has become slowly yet steadily corporatized and pussified for quite awhile now. There probably are some bands out there who are still playing strictly for the love of the music form, but all too often the bands I see performing now use it as more of an affectation or a pose or a fashion statement or just a way to earn a living vs. a form of musical expression they desperately believe in. Granted, there were plenty of rock acts who viewed it as the former rather than latter years back, but it's gotten much more prevalent these days.

FORD
01-29-2016, 09:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxnsmRl8x14

Nitro Express
01-29-2016, 02:20 PM
Forgot about that one. Always liked it.

Nitro Express
01-29-2016, 02:24 PM
Another Kantner masterpiece.

Nitro Express
01-29-2016, 02:25 PM
From the people who were there.

Nitro Express
01-29-2016, 02:35 PM
Meh.

"Rock 'n' roll" has become slowly yet steadily corporatized and pussified for quite awhile now. There probably are some bands out there who are still playing strictly for the love of the music form, but all too often the bands I see performing now use it as more of an affectation or a pose or a fashion statement or just a way to earn a living vs. a form of musical expression they desperately believe in. Granted, there were plenty of rock acts who viewed it as the former rather than latter years back, but it's gotten much more prevalent these days.

There's still rock and roll?

Nitro Express
01-29-2016, 02:39 PM
Kantner was a true liberal. He was for total freedom and got what America should be. He wasn't like the fake neo-liberals of today who want to control everyone and everything.

VHscraps
01-29-2016, 03:28 PM
Meh.

I don't mean rock-n-roll now, dude -- hell, there is NO living breathing rock-n-roll now. Not for decades. Can't think of a single thing contemporary out there that the spirit of rock-n-roll moves through. Forget corporatization, there are lots of careerists who that suits just fine.

What I mean is it won't be long before someone says "Hey, what's this? Rolling Stones - 'Bitch' you say?' Uh-uh. Banned. The subject matter and 'up yours' of a lot of the best rock that was ever made, is all wrong for where Western society is going.

I'm just surprised it isn't happening already. But no doubt the social media hate mobs will realise pretty soon that all that 60s and 70s stuff offends some thing or other.

Terry
01-29-2016, 08:34 PM
I don't mean rock-n-roll now, dude -- hell, there is NO living breathing rock-n-roll now. Not for decades. Can't think of a single thing contemporary out there that the spirit of rock-n-roll moves through. Forget corporatization, there are lots of careerists who that suits just fine.

What I mean is it won't be long before someone says "Hey, what's this? Rolling Stones - 'Bitch' you say?' Uh-uh. Banned. The subject matter and 'up yours' of a lot of the best rock that was ever made, is all wrong for where Western society is going.

I'm just surprised it isn't happening already. But no doubt the social media hate mobs will realise pretty soon that all that 60s and 70s stuff offends some thing or other.

Yeah, I get what your saying.

My larger point is that the whole rock movement has already neutered itself stylistically, so a PC-laden society banning the listening of it might actually be a move in the right direction if it inspires people to take the form up with the 'fuck you' spirit it once had all those years ago.

That way, we might actually get some NEW rock music worth listening to. I mean, I can only listen to the older stuff so many times before I just don't even want to fucking HEAR it anymore, you know? Regardless of how much I like it.

I see the mildly famous rock bands working the circuit today. Seemingly all of them have decent amounts of expensive professional equipment. They're all more or less competent technically. They all basically dress the part of what one imagines a 'rock star' looks like. And even though I can pick out their influences and sources of inspiration, even with all the equipment and the right look, virtually none of them are coming up with anything that's moving the genre forward in exciting new directions. That's why nostalgia tours keep packing them in: people sense the stagnation of the contemporary form.

Part of the problem is there are just too many cunts out there now who have a working knowledge of how to play an instrument, but have nothing in particular to express. Look at Jimi Hendrix: with him, one always got the sense that he had so much to express it was struggle for him to get it all out because he had an overload of inspiration. Contrast that with these newer rock bands today. The form has been oversaturated with too many average talents practicing it that it isn't even special anymore.

Like I say, I'm sure there are younger bands out there who aren't rock star posers and are plugging away and churning out good ballsy rock with integrity. Maybe I just need to look harder to find them.

VHscraps
01-29-2016, 09:09 PM
I can't see them either - I really can't think of the last thing that embodied that sort of combustible, devil-may-care attitude that shook things up a bit. Maybe Guns N' Roses in the late 80s, even though they were echoing earlier things quite clearly

FORD
02-01-2016, 12:12 PM
In a bizzare coincidence, I'm now hearing that Signe Anderson, who sang on the first Jefferson Airplane album (and left when she had a baby, to be replaced by Grace Slick) also passed away the same day as Paul Kantner. She was also 74.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw-6-stIFJc