PDA

View Full Version : Barry Bonds is now the all time WALKS leader!!!

WARF
07-04-2004, 09:44 PM
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Barry Bonds is advising Rickey Henderson not to try to make a comeback just to regain the walks record.

``If he comes back, he will never catch me,'' Bonds said with a chuckle.

Bonds became baseball's all-time walks leader, breaking Henderson's major league record when he drew his 2,191st from Chad Bradford in the eighth inning of the San Francisco Giants' 9-6 loss to the Oakland Athletics on Sunday.

The six-time NL MVP then strolled to first base and picked up the bag to save as a memento of his latest amazing milestone.

``I don't know how to react to a walks record,'' Bonds said. ``It's just another one. I'd rather hit, but the circumstances it's just what it is. I need a ring with all these other records.''

Eric Byrnes hit a pair of three-run homers for a career-high six RBIs, and Mark Mulder won his career-best ninth straight decision for the A's.

On his record-breaking walk, Bonds fell behind 0-2 then drew four straight balls. He received a standing ovation, then went to retrieve the base.

What will he do with it?

``I haven't decided yet -- I just got it today,'' he said.

Bonds walked on a 3-2 pitch from Mulder leading off the sixth inning to tie Henderson. Bonds was plunked on the right hand in the second inning and threw his bat down in pain and frustration, but stayed in the game. He hit a sacrifice fly in the fourth and struck out to end the game.

``That's incredible,'' Hall of Famer Orlando Cepeda said. ``I never thought anybody was going to break it. That's unreal. Barry's a cleanup hitter. Henderson was a leadoff hitter who's supposed to walk. Wow. Unbelievable. Awesome!''

Va Beach VH Fan
07-05-2004, 08:51 AM
Unfortunate really....

I mean, all of this chickenshit walking that he's getting nowadays....

Even in the recent eras, you didn't see Aaron, McCovey, Stargell, Schmidt, Murray, etc. get walked like this....

It just goes against the spirit of the game, IMO....

Warham
07-05-2004, 08:56 AM
Don't worry. Once Bonds' name get attached (it's just out there right now) to that Balco case going on, his numbers will be diminished in the minds of the critics and true baseball historians.

BITEYOASS
07-06-2004, 09:39 AM
Every time Bonds smiles, I just wanna shoot the TV.

TLR
07-06-2004, 10:55 PM
*YAWN* Walk right on out of the game, Barry...do me a favor.

Bill Lumbergh
07-07-2004, 02:51 AM
Nice to know you all have so much inside info.........most feared hitter in the game. You wish YOUR teams had him. Period.

Warham
07-07-2004, 06:44 AM
But when's the last time Bonds won anything besides personal awards?

TLR
07-07-2004, 11:01 PM
No inside information here. I just don't like him. Period.

tobinentinc
07-08-2004, 01:04 AM
I Hate bonds period.

Bill Lumbergh
07-08-2004, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by Warham
But when's the last time Bonds won anything besides personal awards?

Damn, I respect you a lot bro, but this is an idiotic statement. In 93' he carried the Giants down the stretch when NO ONE else was hitting. The Giants have had a winning record every year since 97' (4 playoff appearances and forced a one game playoff), with mediocre around him practically every year. In the 2002 playoffs he hit 8 HR, including 3 World Series jacks. If not for crucial mistakes by Dusty Baker in game 6, the Giants win and Barry has his ring. Last year he carried the Giants on his back to 100 wins.........After missing a week due to his fathers death he hit three walkoff home runs within a week and a half. And for all those who harp on Barry only having power the last 4 years, you need to wake up. He was MVP in 90' hitting 33 HR and was among the league leaders(when 33 was a good HR season). In 92, when winning his second MVP, he was second in the league with 34. That may not seem like much now, but at the time it was good for second in the league and was premier power. His first year in SF(3rd MVP) He led the majors with 46. The very next year he hit 37 in the strike shortened year(just six behind teammate Matt Williams who was on pace to break Maris' record). In 96 of course he had his 40-40 year (42 HR) In 97 he hit 40 again. In 98, when he hit 37 he was walked intentionally by Buck Showalter WITH THE BASES LOADED years before his magical 2001 campaign. In 99 in 102 games he hit 34. 2000 he blasted 49, and you know the rest. He has ALWAYS been at or near the top in walks his whole career.

Bill Lumbergh
07-08-2004, 02:16 AM
And as for the comment about Barry never having won anything...............THIS ISNT BASKETBALL WHERE ONE PLAYER CAN JUST TAKE OVER.............WITHOUT BARRY I'D HATE TO SEE WHERE THIS FRANCHISE WOULD BE.

Bill Lumbergh
07-08-2004, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by TLR
No inside information here. I just don't like him. Period.

I'm revoking that Five Star vote I gave you! :D

Warham
07-08-2004, 07:13 AM
I admit, Lumbergh, that was a poor shot. I do agree that Barry was very good pre-steroids. He was very good with the Pirates. I remember quite a few games with the Cubs where he torched them. But he was nothing like he is now. You are right, one player a team cannot be. My favorite player never won a WS either.

I take it you're a Giants fan? :D