PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl on HBO

twonabomber
02-26-2016, 12:45 AM
Anyone watching?

Produced by Mick Jagger and Martin Scorsese. Scorsese directed the first episode. Jagger is also executive music producer.

It's pretty good. Small record label in the 70's almost gets bought out by Polygram but the majority partner backs out. Decent cast, I am no Ray Romano fan but he seems okay in it so far. Jagger's son, James, plays a singer of a punk band that the label is considering signing.

HBO ordered a second season less than a week after the premiere.

vandeleur
02-26-2016, 01:00 AM
I havent watched it yet but plan to, it looked like a rock n roll version of that empire program the wife watches.

twonabomber
02-26-2016, 01:13 AM
I watch Empire as well, but I'm about ready to bail on it. Every commercial break is set up like a cliffhanger, as is the end of the show. The rapper son is annoying, no way he'd be a star with that nasally voice and he's kind of a pussy, too. And for all the hype about Timbaland being in charge of the music, it's not really that great. I've downloaded better beats and loops off the torrent sites. But then, I doubt I am in the target audience.

VHscraps
02-26-2016, 06:41 AM
I give it thumbs up so far - two episodes in. Although, by the second episode there seems to be a tendency towards odd musical flashbacks that I am not sure works that great.

The pilot was excellent - a bit like 'Goodfellas-meets-the-record-industry'. And considering the tales of mafia types strapping music biz types to jukeboxes and throwing them into rivers since the days of payola, etc, probably not far off the truth!

The ending of the pilot was epic. It's the only word. Jagger's son is excellent so far. Bobby Cannavale in the lead role - excellent, and there's other great performances ... Ray Romano. He is brilliant in it.

Angel
02-26-2016, 10:41 AM
I'm waiting until I can binge watch.

vandeleur
02-26-2016, 10:46 AM
I'm waiting until I can binge watch.
I prefer to watch to that way

private parts
02-26-2016, 11:22 AM
Anyone watching?

HBO ordered a second season less than a week after the premiere.

I'm digging it. Apparently the viewing ratings aren't that good. If you want to see a killer character,

watch Bobby Cannavale in "Boardwalk Empire". Just plain villainous.

Kristy
02-26-2016, 11:44 AM
Ghey.

Angel
02-26-2016, 01:03 PM
I prefer to watch to that way
I can't stand commercials or having to wait a week for the next episode, lol.

twonabomber
03-03-2016, 09:39 AM
Beginning of the third episode was some banquet. The band was the Raspberries. Eric Carmen still lives in the Cleveland area. Guitarist Wally Bryson is uncle to one of my old neighbors. He'd tell us stories about hanging with John Lennon in NYC back in the 70's. Bryson's son, Jesse, is playing his father in the episode but did not take part in re-recording the song.