PDA

View Full Version : Best Fucking News Ever!

Kristy
04-11-2016, 09:12 PM
The feel good story of the year.

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/news/led-zeppelins-plant-page-face-stairway-heaven-trial-204605699.html

cadaverdog
04-12-2016, 12:37 AM
Big deal. A bunch of lawyers are gonna get richer than they already are.

Seshmeister
04-12-2016, 06:12 AM
I don't hear it.

Actually ironically this may be one of the only songs they didn't steal. :)

Kristy
04-12-2016, 10:39 AM
Well done slave SESH You are standing up to your master. All you need to do now is to severe the shackles that bind your deranged post of ignorance and fear of the plagiarist Page. You will be a free man in 10 or 20 years.
http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/80/285x214/75986_1.jpg

cadaverdog
04-12-2016, 11:47 AM
I don't hear it.

About 45 seconds in the riff starts that sounds similiar to the main riff in Stairway.

Satan
04-12-2016, 04:19 PM
Would this be a good time to sing praises unto my Most Unholy name?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tREje2t8oTc

Get back in the tool shed and start suffering, damn it!! :devildance:

DONNIEP
04-12-2016, 04:37 PM
I don't hear it.

I kinda hear it but it doesn't sound to me like Zep ripped it off. I mean, it's substantially different. We ain't talkin Ray Parker rippin off Huey Lewis similar.

Kristy
04-12-2016, 06:11 PM
Good damn it! They did rip it off and they are so going to have their plagiarizing asses handed to them.

End.Of.Fucking.Story.

Igosplut
04-12-2016, 07:09 PM
I don't hear it.

Yea, I don't see it either. The guy probably just got the copyrights to the wrong song.........

Kristy
04-12-2016, 10:55 PM
I said End.Of.Fucking.Story.

Seshmeister
04-12-2016, 11:08 PM
About 45 seconds in the riff starts that sounds similar to the main riff in Stairway.

Not enough though. It doesn't resolve and there is no vocal melody in any case. This case has no merit and is plain silly. There are only 7 notes in any key, claiming copyright when 4 kind of follow each other is nonsense.

I think these cases usually have musicians in the jury, it's going to get thrown out. Weird that this comes up 45 years later when they undeniably ripped off so much other stuff...

SunisinuS
04-13-2016, 01:16 AM
The feel good story of the year.

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/news/led-zeppelins-plant-page-face-stairway-heaven-trial-204605699.html

So if they win: Mea Culpa from you?

Does Kristy ever admit when she was wrong? You will need that in relationships:

There are keyboards and drums and singers in this song...i think they ripped off Nebucanever.

Whatever. The leastest with the mostest. So many things to protest in this world and you choose Led Zeppelin. That makes you valuable how?

Comedy.

cadaverdog
04-13-2016, 02:16 AM
I think these cases usually have musicians in the jury, it's going to get thrown out. Weird that this comes up 45 years later when they undeniably ripped off so much other stuff...
A lot of the stuff they "ripped off" was based on traditional music. The songs are usually creditted to the first person who recorded them not the actual writer or writers. Pages response to accusations of plagarizing those songs is usually he felt like they had changed them enough to earn songwriting credits for them.

Satan
04-13-2016, 02:40 AM
Well, they took Blind Willie Johnson's "Nobody's Fault But Mine" and changed the lyrics considerably.....

And then in 1994, the 77s kept Zeppelin's arrangement, but took the lyrics back to how Willie wrote it.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smSPzgv8iFs

SunisinuS
04-13-2016, 02:53 AM
Well, they took Blind Willie Johnson's "Nobody's Fault But Mine" and changed the lyrics considerably.....

And then in 1994, the 77s kept Zeppelin's arrangement, but took the lyrics back to how Willie wrote it.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smSPzgv8iFs

Der they credited that: Get your hands off of my women.

Look out! They used the Riff you thought that was yours!

You want to keep it secret? Never play it.

Like Dave said...record all of our concerts and shit:

The Grateful Ghey stole from everybody...and well you know...In music...if you want to teach your kid...don't even buy them a piano:

The cosmos gave me music...guess i should sue it.

cadaverdog
04-13-2016, 08:25 AM

Perfect example. "Nobody's Fault But Mine" is a traditional song first recorded (as far as anyone knows) by Blind Willy Johnson in 1927. It has been recorded my numerous other artists. Some credit it to Johnson, some credit it as traditional. Seems like Page creditted some Zep songs to other people early on but started taking song writing credits to more of these traditional songs as time went by. I think it has more to do with legal advice possibly from Atlantic or whoever publishes Zep songs or possibly even Peter Grant. Grant always was a greedy bastard. Jimmy on the other hand has helped out a lot of other musicians along the way including helping pay Ronnie Lane's medical bills along with Rod Stewart and Ron Wood.

Ed Roth
04-13-2016, 07:50 PM
Skidmore must be an Obama voter or a Sanders supporter. He wants something he's not entitled to.

Seshmeister
04-15-2016, 05:19 PM

Nickdfresh
04-15-2016, 05:31 PM
I don't hear it.

Me neither. There's no way Paige could have listened to that piece of shit long enough to steal it!

Angel
04-15-2016, 06:15 PM
I hear it...

Satan
04-15-2016, 06:30 PM

Is that guy Dio's son? Looks like he might be.

cadaverdog
04-15-2016, 10:05 PM
Is that guy Dio's son? Looks like he might be.
He's Dio Jr with a Ritchie Blackmore hairdo

Igosplut
04-15-2016, 10:40 PM
Sorry, the has been train has left the station.......

silverfish
04-16-2016, 10:48 AM
This is dated May 20, 2014 - 7 Songs That Led Zeppelin Ripped Off

musictimes.com/articles/6250/20140520/7-songs-other-than-stairway-to-heaven-that-led-zeppelin-stole.htm

And while it's not on that list, I seem to recall Robert Plant saying that "we nicked
the intro for Little Richard's Keep A Knockin' for Zep's Rock & Roll."

chuckjitsu
04-16-2016, 12:17 PM
This falls in the meh/old news category for me. The list of songs/allegations have been out there for literally decades. Plus, does anybody under 60 really give two shits about Page/Zeppelin these days?

VHscraps
04-16-2016, 05:11 PM
I can understand people wanting to see Page and Plant hung, drawn and quartered (no quarter, fellas), but really there is no real originality in popular music, and maybe even in MUSIC, period. Everything has its antecendents and echoes of earlier influences. We wouldn't want to listen to what we listen to if we didn't say, 'hey, reminds me a bit of Bowie / Sabbath / Elvis / Metallica'.

It is probably the case that 'Taurus' itself is 'stolen' - if you believe that a couple of bars of music constitutes a song:

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/the-unoriginal-originality-of-led-zeppelin (http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/the-unoriginal-originality-of-led-zeppelin)

And even if they try to argue that Page heard the Spirit song and nicked those opening notes from that, I think his lawyer will be able to stand up and say that as a well-known and acknowledged folkie, Page would have more than likely heard those same notes / chords played in dozens of folk songs.

I mean, it is all very complicated and made more complicated by the conventions of music publishing, and how these determine what is intellectual property.

One example - Ray Davies is credited as the sole writer of 'You Really Got Me'. But ... the monumental riff on that song, the riff that launched a thousand copyists, is the creation of Dave Davies, who received no songwriting credit, because things like riffs were not protected by music publishing. Is it any wonder that Dave Davies hates his brother Ray Davies? ... I mean, c'mon, think of that song and it is the fucking RIFF you think of.

So - leaving aside the decision of this judge to bump this case up to a superior court - I think the representatives of Randy California are on a hiding to nothing. A couple of chords does not make a song. The whole music publishing industry is premised on that fact, because so much of popular music is repetition, variation and adaptation.

Kristy
04-16-2016, 06:43 PM
if you believe that a couple of bars of music constitutes a song

It only took three notes for George Harrison to be sued.