PDA

View Full Version : Prince is dead

Pages : [1] 2

Green Manalishi
04-21-2016, 01:22 PM
I'm reading reports that Prince has died at Paisley Park .

Satan
04-21-2016, 01:28 PM
It's no rumor. He just showed up in my office a few minutes ago. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d085.gif

Green Manalishi
04-21-2016, 01:32 PM
Be easy on him .

Satan
04-21-2016, 01:34 PM
17 minutes ago BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

The artist known as Prince has died ... TMZ has learned. He was 57.

Prince's body was discovered at his Paisley Park compound in Minnesota early Thursday morning.

Multiple sources connected to the singer confirmed he had passed.

The singer -- full name Prince Rogers Nelson -- had a medical emergency on April 15th that forced his private jet to make an emergency landing in Illinois. But he appeared at a concert the next day to assure his fans he was okay. His people told TMZ he was battling the flu.

Prior to his most recent appearance however, Prince had cancelled two shows due to health concerns.

Prince became an international superstar in 1982 after his breakthrough album "1999."

He went on to churn out a ton of hits -- and racking up 7 Grammys in the process. He also performed at the Super Bowl in 2007 ... in one of the greatest live performances of all time.

He also sold more than 100 million records during his career ... and won the Academy Award for Best Original Song Score for Purple Rain in 1985.

Prince was married two times -- the first time to his backup dancer Mayte Garcia. They split in 2000. He then married Manuela Testolini ... but they split in 2006.

Seshmeister
04-21-2016, 01:57 PM
Confirmed - shit news.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36106778

Kristy
04-21-2016, 02:04 PM
Thank fuck.

About time these fuckers starting popping off again.

You're next, Tom Petty.

vandeleur
04-21-2016, 02:11 PM
Thank fuck.

You're next, Tom Petty.

It gives me at least some pleasure on what turns out to be a shitty day to say get fucked

Kristy
04-21-2016, 02:15 PM
Please, bitch.

Prince wrote shit songs that centered on two subjects:

1. His dick

2. His ego

Sometimes he combined the two but what's the difference?

Kristy
04-21-2016, 02:19 PM
Oh, and do look out for all the "best of's" and "remastered" Prince albums soon. Matter of fact, I'm sure they're out now - before the body went cold.

Satan
04-21-2016, 02:23 PM
One of Prince's more memorable solos here.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

Kristy
04-21-2016, 02:24 PM
Great. Can't say I didn't see this cumming: slave FORD and his endless JewTube suburbanite posting.

Expect about 40 more or so, kids.

Sarge
04-21-2016, 02:24 PM
I liked Prince. He was original, and could play the guitar very well.
He was an entertainer and the Super Bowl half-time was awesome.
However, I don't think I bought one album.

Breasts,

Kristy
04-21-2016, 02:26 PM
He was a rapist, a homophobe, and a god damn Jehovah Witness. In that order.

Angel
04-21-2016, 02:44 PM
And you're a cunt, a big cunt, and a super cunt. In any order you choose...

DavidLeeNatra
04-21-2016, 03:28 PM
Have seen him 2010. It was a fantastic concert! What a talent! Sad...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G850F mit Tapatalk

DONNIEP
04-21-2016, 03:43 PM
I liked Prince. I wish I could find that Mtv performance he did back in the day when he played I Would Die For You/Baby I'm A Star where he was up on top of the piano and stuff. Pretty awesome performance.

Kristy
04-21-2016, 04:42 PM
And you're a cunt, a big cunt, and a super cunt. In any order you choose...

This is why social work is a loser's profession.

Sooner or later, they all lose it.

Kristy
04-21-2016, 05:10 PM
And this didn't take too long

Satan
04-21-2016, 05:15 PM
So Alex Jones thinks the BCE killed Merle AND Prince??

Seshmeister
04-21-2016, 05:28 PM
It's a great business model talking complete shit all day in order to sell pills promising to make your audience cleverer.

The people stupid enough to watch are exactly the same kind of people who will buy snake oil. :)

Seshmeister
04-21-2016, 05:34 PM

Using water vapour 30 000 feet away.

Prince believed in the Jehovahs Witness cult which is a ludicrous religion. In comparison to that the chemtrails conspiracy nonsense is an easy pill to swallow.

cadaverdog
04-21-2016, 06:19 PM
First time I saw and heard Prince was the same night videos for Zep's Song Remains the Same debutted on one of those late night rock video shows that pre dated MTV. He looked like he was channeling Hendrix with his look but played funky guitar while singing falsetto. Not a great first impression IMO. He made a shitload of money but not off me. Still sorry to hear he died. RIP Purple Rain man.

jacksmar
04-21-2016, 06:35 PM
It’s a real shame about Prince. He was supposed to receive a lifetime achievement award but I suppose they could give it to;

The artist formerly known as prince…..http://www.davidairey.com/images/logos/prince-symbol.jpg

chefcraig
04-21-2016, 07:00 PM
Please, bitch.

Gene Simmons writes shit songs that center on two subjects:

1. His dick

2. His ego

Fixed that for ya, Kris. :drum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5ukEBJoiOU

vandeleur
04-21-2016, 07:27 PM
Kev smith has a very interesting story about him storing up video's of unreleased songs by famous directors.
So we have years of litigation a head of us unless he sorted that out.

vandeleur
04-21-2016, 07:33 PM
And I never got how he was ridiculed for the slave thing.
I get he was rich blah blah blah but an artist wanting to release stuff when he wanted and supposedly it was a case of I don't want to do the album tour cycle I want to release all this stuff " bag of albums put on the desk"
I kind of like that idea it's like he was an artist or he was creative in some way..... Just saying.

I think his flakeyness helped the industry a bit .... God forbid other people wanted to follow his idea that record companies execs weren't the creative force.

Seshmeister
04-21-2016, 07:53 PM
Kev smith has a very interesting story about him storing up video's of unreleased songs by famous directors.
So we have years of litigation a head of us unless he sorted that out.

Yeah the Kevin Smith thing really gives a view behind the curtain of how eccentric Prince was.

Satan
04-21-2016, 08:07 PM
Almost zero actual Prince songs on YouTube, so had to go with the cover version......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCldJIWDH3Y

DONNIEP
04-21-2016, 08:22 PM
And I never got how he was ridiculed for the slave thing.
I get he was rich blah blah blah but an artist wanting to release stuff when he wanted and supposedly it was a case of I don't want to do the album tour cycle I want to release all this stuff " bag of albums put on the desk"
I kind of like that idea it's like he was an artist or he was creative in some way..... Just saying.

The "slave thing" - god I get so sick of that crap. Slave this, slave that. Just like NBA players are "slaves". Ok, I give up - sign me up for some of that slavery right now. I'll go home and cry on a stack of money, whores, and coke lol.

Ok, in all seriousness. I dug Prince making a stand and telling other up and coming artists to not sign with the record companies. He was right about how most artists get butt fucked by the record companies. Just look at VH's original deal. Hell, it took Slappy of all people to get those guys making some real damn money. Look at all the old groups and the deals they had - they weren't making jack shit. And these were bands and guys writing their own songs and playing the instruments. So yeah, a lot of them got fuckee fuckeed.

Now I do understand that the record business has to spread the risk around so yeah you're kinda gonna get fucked no matter what. They shell out all the money and do all the promotion and basically everything and the talent just shows up. So I get that the band's can't all have sweetheart deals from day one. But they should be making more than a lot of them do and have more control over their material and schedules.

Then again, if you don't like it there's always The Walmart...

vandeleur
04-21-2016, 08:27 PM
I think donnie it's different if you actually have a slave :D

Satan
04-21-2016, 08:28 PM
Prince & VH signed their deals with Warner Brothers around the same time, so I'd imagine they were equally as shitty.

As for why he had to give up his own name and use that dumb symbol while he worked out his legal bullshit, it has to do with the fine print of WB somehow having "legal rights" to a name. Even if the name was on his goddamned birth certificate, as it was in his case. This is also why that Tony Iommi solo album from 1986 was labeled "Black Sabbath", though it wasn't remotely any such thing. WB thought they could make money off it by using the name. Didn't work out all that well.

vandeleur
04-21-2016, 08:35 PM
Major difference between prince and vh is he wanted to release an album A month they wanted to do one every ..... Well never lol

Satan
04-21-2016, 08:51 PM
Major difference between prince and vh is he wanted to release an album A month they wanted to do one every ..... Well never lol

I saw some comment on line earlier today that speculated he had some 500 albums worth of material in the can. I'm sure that's an exagerration, but I'd bet he's got more material in storage than Hendrix did. Hell, Jimi only had a three year recording career, and they're still releasing "new" material from him over 40 years later. If Prince recorded at even half that pace, he would have to have a few dozen albums worth at least.

One thing I know exists is a collaboration with Miles Davis, which WB apparently passed on because they didn't think they could sell a jazz record. Miles was one of the first guys Prince wanted to see, once he finished his immigration paperwork, of course.

Seshmeister
04-21-2016, 08:55 PM

Indeed. Prince has released 8 albums since Van Halen reformed.

Even including Van Hagar albums, at the current rate it will take Van Halen 216 years to catch up with Prince's album output and that's just the official releases...

DONNIEP
04-21-2016, 08:59 PM
I think donnie it's different if you actually have a slave :D

The correct term is employee :biggrin:

DONNIEP
04-21-2016, 09:02 PM
As far as how much material Prince left behind - I'd bet it is a ton. The guy was known as a notorious studio rat. So I'd bet he does a shit ton of material recorded.

cadaverdog
04-21-2016, 09:35 PM
It’s a real shame about Prince. He was supposed to receive a lifetime achievement award but I suppose they could give it to;

The artist formerly known as prince…..http://www.davidairey.com/images/logos/prince-symbol.jpg

The cadaver once known as Prince.

Edwards3rdWife
04-21-2016, 09:37 PM
In '79 or '80 a friend and I went to see Rick James and Prince was the opener. We were fried but I remember it was a great concert, and this was before Prince broke out. We all loved the hell out of Prince, he was so damn funky and you couldn't be still when his music was on. He was reclusive, yes, but a genius and a true artist. Playing all the instruments on his albums ? Unreal.

The craziest part is that my family is from Chanhassen. Prince's mansion was near my grandparents' house. My father is buried in Chan, and seeing it on TV is just surreal.

I was sad about MJ, but his death wasn't that surprising. Prince ? I'm absolutely floored.

Seshmeister
04-21-2016, 10:27 PM
The cadaver once known as Prince.

The problem isn't that it's too soon, it's just weak material...

DONNIEP
04-21-2016, 10:42 PM

At least you didn't say "weak sauce". Which should be an automatic death sentence for anyone who posts it. Along with "you're soaking in it". Fuckin gayest shit I've ever seen in 37 years of interwebz whatever.

twonabomber
04-21-2016, 11:54 PM
Indeed. Prince has released 8 albums since Van Halen reformed.

And about half of the material on those albums is good. Each has it's moment, but they don't last long.

As far as how much material Prince left behind - I'd bet it is a ton. The guy was known as a notorious studio rat. So I'd bet he does a shit ton of material recorded.

I recently read that some of what's in the vault may not be finished. I hope whoever is left in charge doesn't do like Sony did and hire a bunch of shitbags to re-work some of Michael Jackson's stuff. I would probably trust Questlove with the Prince material, and I'm not sure who else.

In '79 or '80 a friend and I went to see Rick James and Prince was the opener. We were fried but I remember it was a great concert, and this was before Prince broke out. We all loved the hell out of Prince, he was so damn funky and you couldn't be still when his music was on. He was reclusive, yes, but a genius and a true artist. Playing all the instruments on his albums ? Unreal.

The craziest part is that my family is from Chanhassen. Prince's mansion was near my grandparents' house. My father is buried in Chan, and seeing it on TV is just surreal.

I was sad about MJ, but his death wasn't that surprising. Prince ? I'm absolutely floored.

Rick James accused Prince of ripping off his act...and then after Prince got the Time and Vanity 6 started, James came up with the Mary Jane Girls and Process and the Doo-Rags.

twonabomber
04-22-2016, 12:15 AM
The Trader's Den has a ton of Prince bootlegs on the first page today. I was on the site yesterday and downloaded a Prince show from Madrid, July 22, 1990. It's still seeding. Listened to it last night, a decent FM recording. Then had been awake an hour or so when one of the Prince groups on FB posted about EMS being called to Paisley Park. TMZ crashed shortly after that, as did prince dot org. Switched to http://www.startribune.com/ , who's Jon Bream has written about Prince since the late 70's.

Going through some of the live bootlegs and thinking I was glad to get to see him four times, including on the Purple Rain tour. Sesh wrote about attending one of the O2 Arena aftershows and I found a bootleg of it...I scrawled "Sesh's Aftershow" on the CD in black Sharpie. :D Got Purple Finale playing now, soundboard of the last Purple Rain tour show at the Orange Bowl in April of '85. Not sure what I'll queue up next. Gonna be a long night.

Jetstream
04-22-2016, 12:44 AM
Prince was twice the musician Edward Van Halen is... and unlike Ed, he really does have a vault of actual songs :)

twonabomber
04-22-2016, 01:11 AM
Sirius has made channel 50 into the Prince tribute channel. Going way back, so far I've heard 17 Days (B side of When Doves Cry), then Love Sign from his mail order 1-800-NEW-FUNK CD, and now 1+1+1 Is 3 from the Rainbow Children.

twonabomber
04-22-2016, 02:04 AM
How Prince and critic Jon Bream learned to see eye to eye

By Jon Bream Star Tribune

I knew him for six years before he looked me in the eye.

Yes, Prince was very shy. Until he got onstage. Or until you got to know him.

If you got to know him, he was smart, articulate, aware, spiritual, observant, clever, joyful, silly, sweet, generous, thoughtful, impulsive, complicated, spontaneous and cuttingly funny.

If you saw him onstage — either with one of his superbly drilled bands or on his recent solo piano tour — you witnessed arguably the most dazzling and well-rounded talent of the past 40 years.

Prince had all of the trappings of self-indulgent rock stardom — custom-made look-at-me outfits, purple limousines and motorcycles, a squad of bodyguards, dishes emblazoned with his glyph, phone calls to his employees in the middle of the night, and on and on.

Having covered him since 1977, when he was recording his one-man-band debut for Warner Bros., I got to see him up close and personal, witnessing the great (concert after concert), the bad (on Arsenio Hall’s TV talk show he burned a review I wrote about one of his albums) and the ugly (events where he was expected to perform but didn’t).

Summoned to Denver

Perhaps one incident typifies how Prince rolled.

In May 2013, I was trying to set up a telephone interview with 3rdEyeGirl, Prince’s new backup band. On the day of my deadline, Prince’s publicist e-mailed at 3 p.m. She asked whether I could be in Denver that night for an interview with the band — and “maybe Prince will talk to you.”

Not even Prince can charter a private plane on two hours’ notice, so I flew commercial, arriving between Prince and 3rdEyeGirls’ two concerts that night. After the second show, I went to a club with his band to wait for Prince. He called his manager — Prince didn’t have a cellphone — and asked to talk to me. He wanted my review of the show.

It was a normal conversation. No airs, no arrogance. And no indication that whatever I said might lead to an interview.

Prince finally showed up at 4 a.m. We talked till 6:20 a.m. His rules, of course: No tape recorder, no notebook. Just conversation. Look each other in the eye.

Another journalist there wasn’t a music critic, so Prince asked me to explain Sly & the Family Stone. He approved of my discussion of the cultural and musical significance of Sly, but said, “You left something out. That’s how I learned how to play bass.”

Indeed, Prince taught himself how to play bass guitar by listening to Family Stone bassist Larry Graham, who would later move to Minnesota and became a close friend and a spiritual mentor.

The public perceived that Prince had a contentious relationship with the Minnesota music critic who covered him the most. I became an insider in the early years, interviewing him in 1978 for 90 minutes with no one else in the room. (“I’ve never talked this much in my life,” he said at the end of the session, his giant Afro hid under a floppy newsboy cap.) There were invites backstage, the “Purple Rain” premiere and party in Hollywood, and various private events.

But when I gave Prince a copy of my unauthorized 1984 biography (“Prince: Inside the Purple Reign”) during rehearsals for his Purple Rain concert tour, he went crazy. He didn’t have control of his own story. And he was a control freak.

I was persona non grata during the 1990s after some honest but negative reviews of his albums and the “Graffiti Bridge” movie.

However, at a 1996 listening party for his “Emancipation” album at Paisley Park, he said in front of 75 folks: “Jon, you and I should bury the hatchet. We need to talk.”

That talk didn’t come until Denver 16 years later.

He certainly read what I wrote about him, though. At one point that night he turned to me and said, “This is no wig,” referring to a piece in which I had speculated that he was wearing an Afro wig. “And Jon Bream, what happened to all your hair?”

We burst into laughter.

The Prince of Chanhassen

After forming his backup trio 3rdEyeGirl in the fall of 2012, the Minnesota music monarch’s demeanor changed. He became the refreshed Prince of Chanhassen. Gone was the intensely aloof, mysterious rock star of old. He seemed mature, acting like a 50-something adult, not a petulant celeb. He championed his collaborators, treating them as equals, not puppets or playthings.

He began opening Paisley Park more frequently to the public (and journalists).

He even threw a spontaneous private party and concert in October when the Minnesota Lynx won the WNBA championship — and he attended the clinching game.

Last Saturday, Prince welcomed fans to Paisley Park once again for a dance party with a DJ. The Internet had lit up the day before with stories of his private plane making an emergency landing in the wee hours after two concerts in Atlanta. He wanted to reassure fans that he was alive and well.

I watched as he played “Chopsticks” on his brand-new purple piano, showed off a metallic purple guitar and spoke briefly — words that seem sadly ironic in retrospect: “Wait a few days before you waste any prayers.”

The last time I saw him was Tuesday night, when Prince and a few members of his band attended a concert by soul/jazz singer Lizz Wright at the Dakota Jazz Club. He was a fan of music as well as a music-maker.

For a change, he stayed for the entire show — even the encore — then made his exit through the kitchen door, strutting with that unmistakable Prince attitude, his gold embossed cane slung over his shoulder, his Afro disappearing into the night.

twonabomber
04-22-2016, 02:16 AM
Prince & VH signed their deals with Warner Brothers around the same time, so I'd imagine they were equally as shitty.

I think Prince got the better deal.

With the help of manager Owen Husney, Prince signed a recording contract with Warner Bros.. The record company agreed to give Prince creative control for three albums and ownership of the publishing rights.

From an interview today with Hunsey:

I understand that, as his first manager, you helped him arrange his contract with Warner Bros., which allowed him a good deal of creative control over his music — considered, I think, unprecedented at the time. Can you talk about his legacy there? Because it seems, over the years, he has always been an advocate for creative control.

There has been no doubt. And when we signed the deal with Warner Bros., I had the great job of going to the chairman of Warner Bros. and saying that an 18-year-old artist, who has never made an album before, is going to be producing his own album and having complete creative control. I didn't relish that meeting!

We kind of organized a test where they watched him in the studio. And at the end of him maybe getting halfway through the song, Lenny Waronker, who was president of Warner at that time, he pulled me out in the hallway and said, "We're going to give him the complete control that you're asking for." So there's an inner talent, a drive, and then there's this ability that's — you either have it or you don't.

SunisinuS
04-22-2016, 07:49 AM
19:11 She is Always in my Hair:

Playing in bands in my youth you always had to buy a Prince Album because you knew you would get some requests to play it. Although I am not a huge Prince fan for all of his songwriting, I was one for his creativity in making an Album during the death of Albums (the 80s). As stated, I betcha he actually has a vault of music that could be well managed by an estate that would constitute Full Albums in the future. The only criticism I have of his songwriting was that once he had a good riff, he would ride it to death without that 3rd riff or bridge. So it was a bit repetitive in one song. For a song like "Kiss" it worked, but on others, just too much of one thing.

RIP The Artist Formally Known as "Alive."

I am sure he would be driving a little red corvette up there.

cadaverdog
04-22-2016, 09:51 AM
I should have said the cadaver formerly known as Prince. Gotta get that formerly in there.

Seshmeister
04-22-2016, 10:28 AM
The only criticism I have of his songwriting was that once he had a good riff, he would ride it to death without that 3rd riff or bridge. So it was a bit repetitive in one song. For a song like "Kiss" it worked, but on others, just too much of one thing.

Talking of which of of all the hundreds of songs he wrote his second biggest hit in the UK was 'The Most Beautiful Girl in the World' which is a single same part for verse and chorus with nothing between them, one musical idea stretched to 5 minutes.
Is that genius or just reflect that the great unwashed public want as simple as possible?
Who knows...probably a bit of both.

clarathecarrot
04-22-2016, 10:29 AM
It has been over 10 years since Prince put the hammer down on the internets and YuoTube with vengeance. It has to do with the money trail and copywriters rip off, the dwindling ability to keep your music making money for you, that is why he has little image on the net.

That will probably change soon.....? His music will be more accessible, I am sure.

I can remember vividly dancing all night picking up girls and sweating, just drop flop sweat on the dance floor -GREAT TIMES- fucking non stop, perhaps some of the best nights of my life back in the 80's.

Prince music was a great addition and part of that.

Line of coke slam you up off your chair and 5 back feet hoping the wall will stop you.........yeah that was the shit...........long gone days and nights.

Prince music was great dance music and stellar in its ability to transcend eras of lifestyle....god bless him and I still hope this isn't true.

23 positions ina one night stand...................I gave it my best shot BABY!

I saw a concert of his, from London. I believe perhaps... 10 years ago ?? and I couldn't believe how skilled and -hadn't lost a step- he was a fenom.

Thanks Prince and RIP.

Seshmeister
04-22-2016, 10:33 AM
As a sidepoint after watching horrified at his extended weeks of rimming followed by deep throat, gargle and swallow of Trump cum on his gameshow, I can't think of anyone in showbiz I respect less than Assholio Hall.

Seshmeister
04-22-2016, 10:38 AM
I saw a concert of his, from London. I believe perhaps... 10 years ago ?? and I couldn't believe how skilled and -hadn't lost a step- he was a fenom.

Thanks Prince and RIP.

I was there - will never forget the aftershow gig he played in an ajoining club as a power trio...

clarathecarrot
04-22-2016, 10:52 AM
I was there - will never forget the aftershow gig he played in an ajoining club as a power trio...

How cool would that be..? I am jealous...

Satan
04-22-2016, 01:44 PM
As far as Prince's vault goes, the relevant question now is who owns it?

He wasn't married, and had no children (that he knew of, anyway). Hopefully he didn't leave his entire estate to the JW's. Even though he was just 57 and probably thought he had more time left on Earth, one would hope - after all his legal clusterfucks with Warner Brothers - that he would be smart enough to take the legal precautions necessary to leave his musical legacy in good hands.

Nickdfresh
04-22-2016, 02:14 PM
Please, bitch.

Prince wrote shit songs that centered on two subjects:

1. His dick

2. His ego

That's like 90% of the posts you've written dipshit...

Satan
04-22-2016, 02:19 PM
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/921/YBIm68.jpg

Nickdfresh
04-22-2016, 02:20 PM

Oh fuck you, he never did any of that...

Satan
04-22-2016, 02:21 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CgldblfUkAAz8yO.jpg:large
Target Field in Minneapolis pays tribute to one of their own....

Satan
04-22-2016, 02:22 PM

Well, he DID do the JW part.

Va Beach VH Fan
04-22-2016, 02:58 PM
Looking like a Percocet OD, or something related to that....

That's some strong shit... I recall a few years ago when I was taking Tramadol for a shoulder injury, I had to force myself to ween off of it.....

twonabomber
04-22-2016, 02:58 PM
As far as Prince's vault goes, the relevant question now is who owns it?

He wasn't married, and had no children (that he knew of, anyway). Hopefully he didn't leave his entire estate to the JW's. Even though he was just 57 and probably thought he had more time left on Earth, one would hope - after all his legal clusterfucks with Warner Brothers - that he would be smart enough to take the legal precautions necessary to leave his musical legacy in good hands.

One of Prince's brothers was going to help him write his book, maybe he got it. Or his sister, Tyka.

More good stuff hitting the Trader's Den...soundboard recordings of the Lovesexy tour rehearsals...the live stuff is what I want out of the vault.

Seshmeister
04-22-2016, 04:01 PM
I think there are bootlegs of the aftershow I was at in the early hours of August 29th 2007 but I haven't found it yet. None of it made it to the album from these shows probably because it was too rock. I think I mentioned on here before that I was standing beside the sounddesk and at the end of the show the sound guy walked over and literally handed the recording to Prince before he left the stage.

Set list was

Thank You For Talkin' To Me, Africa (instrumental)
Anotherloverholenyohead
Calhoun Square
Chaos and Disorder
I Like It There
All Shook Up
Empty Room
Spirituality / Johnny B Goode
Elephants And Flowers
People Get Ready / When Will We Be Paid (lyrics)
Baby Love
Alphabet St.
Guitar

twonabomber
04-22-2016, 04:11 PM
Yeah, I have it. :D

Soundboard and audience...

Satan
04-22-2016, 04:30 PM
So the soundman hands the tape to Prince himself, yet a soundboard tape of the show was bootlegged anyway? How did that happen? Soundman had a second tape deck running, or was Prince leaking his own stuff?

The latter doesn't seem likely, since he didn't even want anything on YouTube. Not as obvious as something like the Black Album where it was pressed and sitting in Warner Brothers warehouses before it was yanked, and so any number of people could have bootlegged it (before it eventually got an official release several years after the fact)

twonabomber
04-22-2016, 04:43 PM
Looking at the notes again, I may have two audience recordings. But they're pretty good.

Kristy
04-22-2016, 04:57 PM

Better yet, go Wiki it you Buffalo turd.

twonabomber
04-22-2016, 04:57 PM
Sheriff says they’re “unaware” if Prince has a will or what will happen with his property.

http://jezebel.com/princes-autopsy-results-will-take-weeks-1772533852

Kristy
04-22-2016, 05:03 PM
Looking like a Percocet OD, or something related to that.

Ha! So The Purple Pecker Eater was doing himself a Winona Ryder by way of Charlie Sheen.

By the way, Percocet is not that strong as compared to Fentanyl citrate or Diluadid.

Kristy
04-22-2016, 05:05 PM
That's like 90% of the posts you've written dipshit...

Quit deleting my post you fucking idiot

Kristy
04-22-2016, 05:23 PM
One of the theories floating around is the 3rd world ZIKA virus and he fucked himself up with cold and flu medications. Ya never know, he lived in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The virus has a stronghold there along with being the Somalian capital of the country.

Nickdfresh
04-22-2016, 05:30 PM
Quit deleting my post you fucking idiot

Smoke less bad weed you moron! You should pay me to delete your embarrassing shit!

Nickdfresh
04-22-2016, 05:31 PM
One of the theories floating around is the 3rd world ZIKA virus and he fucked himself up with cold and flu medications. Ya never know, he lived in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The virus has a stronghold there along with being the Somalian capital of the country.

Did you Wiki that you pin head?

cadaverdog
04-22-2016, 06:25 PM
Not sure if anyone posted this yet but I heard he had some kind of medical emergency on an airplane recently.
As I should have known Ford covered that and more news of health issues already. If I was betting on cause of death I'd guess some form of illness as opposed to an OD.

cadaverdog
04-22-2016, 06:28 PM
Zombies killed Merle then Darryl finished off Zombie Merle.

Kristy
04-22-2016, 06:33 PM
Smoke less bad weed you moron! You should pay me to delete your embarrassing shit!

You should pay society and up and kill yourself.

Kristy
04-22-2016, 06:35 PM
Fuck Prince

vandeleur
04-22-2016, 06:45 PM
Fuck Prince

Fuck kristy "insert reason"

Seshmeister
04-22-2016, 07:19 PM
Looking at the notes again, I may have two audience recordings. But they're pretty good.

Yeah I read there were two, one with more crowd sound than the other.

I may need to beg a copy at some point if that's ok... :)

I hope it's not one of those shows which was way better in the memory but either way it would be a cool keepsake.

To set the scene when you bought the arena ticket there was an option for an extra £20 or so to buy an aftershow ticket at the club. In the majority of cases some or all of his backing bank would play and it stated everywhere there were no guarantees. We talked to everyone and nobody knew if he would show or not, he only did about 4 or 5 times in the run of 21 shows so not great odds. It was a bit of a tough night as we had to wait around not knowing what was going on in the club for about 2 or 3 hours before it all kicked off and I still smoked back then and it wasn't allowed and you couldn't get a re-admisson.

Satan
04-23-2016, 02:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpHtwa8YGBU

SunisinuS
04-23-2016, 02:56 AM
Fuck kristy "insert reason"

For posting a video of someone unknown with only 45 views.....probably from her watching it 44 times. This guy in his Vid is HUGE! Lol there is no "Cosby" revelation here that rockstars did Coke in the 80s.

Fuck Kristy for never doing Coke. We all should do lines off her belly and make her laugh.

I still have never heard a lick of music out of Kristy....a critic should be able to play. Please post something you did creative on an instrument Kristy. We will give you respect if you do.

Until then you are just a Cat without Cream.

Play us ONE SONG Kristy, as you know what they say....People do, and Teachers don't as they can't. School us all on your beautiful compositions on an instrument and with your vocals. Shut us up.

And one of my favorites...if you only listen to one that I posted...listen to Micheal do it...may Mr.Hedges RIP:

twonabomber
04-23-2016, 06:36 AM
Yeah I read there were two, one with more crowd sound than the other.

I may need to beg a copy at some point if that's ok... :)

I got to work and remembered how we did the radio shows...check there later.

Notes from the Sabotage Records version:

Which brings us to Disc 3 and the extraordinary 29th (am) August aftershow - short in length, but the best aftershow of the entire London stay. The recording is superior to the O2verload release '...For Your Memories - 21 Nights In London Vol. 12', which wasn't too hard a task as the O2verload recording wasn't exactly great, so that in itself is a major bonus. Again, the audience are noticeable and audible throughout the entire recording, and whilst they are in the background and in no way overpowering or detrimental, they are rather loud and vocal in parts (hey - it's allowed).

If I were allow myself "complaints" about the recording, it would be these ; the opening 'Thank You For Talking To Me Africa' is rather thin and the sound appears to be mono in parts with the balance between L & R not being evened-out correctly - my other bitch is that the audience interludes have been left intact, and whilst this isn't normally a big deal, 6 or 7 minutes of crowd whooping, dog barking and people whistling begins to get on my tits after a few minutes. That said, I'm just happy this recording exists, so pay no attention to my harsh criticism.

The less I say about the show itself the better, as words really don't do it justice, but this is really a rather special concert and anyone in attendance should count themselves extremely lucky indeed. 'Calhoun Square', 'Chaos And Disorder', 'I Like It There', 'All Shook Up' and 'Elephants And Flowers' from this performance are the stuff of dreams, with the ferocity of the closing 'Guitar' being a fitting end to an unusual, unique and sublime show.

The release ends with 'Suga Mama' taken from the NPG's 26th (am) August show with the remainder of the show spread across various other chapters.

As with the content of the discs, the accompanying artwork and packaging are of a very high standard with a 12 page booklet detailing Prince current band and including some rather sexy pictures - all pure eye-candy, but a pleasure to look at, and rivalling anything Sabotage have done before. On it's own this is an extremely good release simply down to the excellent source recordings used, however as part of the complete "The Indigo Chronicles" box set it's an unmissable release. (thedatabank)

I have the O2verload version as well.

Seshmeister
04-23-2016, 09:43 AM
Wow I got to see the best show?

The atmosphere was amazing, the thing that Axl always thinks will happen actually did whereby a crowd waiting for ages exploded.

Big difference is that Axl tries it in corporate domes with 20 000 people who have paid a fortune and have babysitters and transport to worry about.

Thanks a lot for the bootleg, I'll check it out tonight and maybe put it up here, it's not like we are going to be sued now.

vandeleur
04-23-2016, 10:42 AM

The atmosphere was amazing, the thing that Axl always thinks will happen actually did whereby a crowd waiting for ages exploded.

Big difference is that Axl tries it in corporate domes with 20 000 people who have paid a fortune and have babysitters and transport to worry about.

Thanks a lot for the bootleg, I'll check it out tonight and maybe put it up here, it's not like we are going to be sued now.

Posting it here would be popular with some :)

Nickdfresh
04-23-2016, 01:33 PM
You should pay society and up and kill yourself.

Now that's just mean!

twonabomber
04-23-2016, 04:11 PM

Can't get the other one to fully upload. I'll try again in the morning.

Terry
04-23-2016, 07:54 PM
Prince was twice the musician Edward Van Halen is... and unlike Ed, he really does have a vault of actual songs :)

Edward Van Halen is one of my favorite rock guitarists.

However, rock is only one aspect of what you can do with a guitar.

There are guys in Nashville you've never even heard of who can do things within the country genre that on a sheer technical level make Ed look like a piker (and none of these things involve two hands on the fretboard, either).

And Ed is only as good as whoever is singing for him.

Prince all-around was a far more accomplished musician than Ed is. Musically, Ed stopped developing decades ago from what I've heard/what's been released.

DONNIEP
04-23-2016, 08:45 PM
OBC had a really great and short period of creativity and hasn't done jack shit since.

Jetstream
04-23-2016, 10:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpHtwa8YGBU

Badass cover, his "Crimson and Clover" version was pretty exceptional too :)

Jetstream
04-23-2016, 11:00 PM

There are guys in Nashville you've never even heard of who can do things within the country genre that on a sheer technical level make Ed look like a piker (and none of these things involve two hands on the fretboard, either).

Prince all-around was a far more accomplished musician than Ed is. Musically, Ed stopped developing decades ago from what I've heard/what's been released.

What you stated reminds me of the musical prowess of Steve Earle

Satan
04-23-2016, 11:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkOxeKA2WNE

DONNIEP
04-24-2016, 01:21 AM
Bruce Springsteen sucks and he's unattractive. And I still can't remember which song he had that was good...

ZahZoo
04-24-2016, 09:14 AM
Prince all-around was a far more accomplished musician than Ed is.

This is quite true for the moment. Prince does have one major accomplishment Eddie hasn't achieved yet...

That miraculous transformation from creepy, weirdo recluse to saintly genius brought on by death...

Ed will catch up... count on it...

Jérôme Frenchise
04-24-2016, 10:40 AM
Bruce Springsteen sucks and he's unattractive. And I still can't remember which song he had that was good...

:umm:

:biggrin:

Jetstream
04-24-2016, 10:44 AM
This is quite true for the moment. Prince does have one major accomplishment Eddie hasn't achieved yet...

That miraculous transformation from creepy, weirdo recluse to saintly genius brought on by death...

Ed will catch up... count on it...

If one's creative life was a marathon race, Ed made it about 10 miles and fell in a ditch while Prince in comparison has ran the race three times over while Ed has been in that ditch. Prince was internationally known and played all over the world on a frequent basis, while Ed has to be kicking and screaming to leave the United States. As mentioned, Prince actually does have a vault of completed songs while all Ed has proven is that he has vault of assorted tapes of odd noises. Forget the vault, just look at the material released. Prince mastered over 10 instruments and could sing with amazing range with a voice you could not confuse with anyone else, Ed's only venture into that is "How Many Say I" and it was only one and very bad. His persona and character goes way past Ed standing there with his latest stripes on his guitar playing that same damn eruption solo. When Ed dies it will be noted but he will not be mourned across the world like Prince. Prince is like if there was one person which combined Dave and Ed and with a hell of a lot more material and then throw in Freddie Mercury and Stevie Wonder into the persona. You will have the dying rock community post tributes at Ed's death while a cross over artist like Prince now has every dang genre in respect and admiration... there are a lot of great musicians who could not run a race with an exception like Prince and Ed dropped out of that race a long time ago

Jérôme Frenchise
04-24-2016, 10:53 AM

You're a bit harsh here IMO, Terry. I mean, maybe your judgement about EVH is right, but to me Prince is way overrated in this thread. I've never felt overwhelmed while listening to his stuff, but rather like in a lousy nightclub on bad weed or adulterated alcohol and, mostly, bored. I'm not saying I'm right, but what I think about Prince's work.
And good on him if he really made those hot chicks feel over the moon like you see some during his Honky Tonk Women version that is just saturated, and partly off-beat guitar.

Anyway, that's often how it goes when a big one passes away.

Jérôme Frenchise
04-24-2016, 11:32 AM
That said, while I think Prince wasn't a musical genius, I can give no example of one over the last 30 years. :confused1:

DONNIEP
04-24-2016, 12:01 PM
That said, while I think Prince wasn't a musical genius, I can give no example of one over the last 30 years. :confused1:

There can be only one...and he is Wolfgang Van Halen of the clan Van Halen. Musical genius, the voice of a generation, and just like Jesus he raised somebody from the dead. All while playing video games and devouring buffets all across the land.

DONNIEP
04-24-2016, 12:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkOxeKA2WNE

That was horrible. And I think the electric geetar player was actually having a seizure. Well, at least he ain't coming here to sing his shitty songs about being poor and stoopid. And I don't even think Bruce's geetar is even plugged in.

vandeleur
04-24-2016, 12:10 PM
Genius is a fucked up word to throw about but we can all agree he wasn't a lazy fucker:D

vandeleur
04-24-2016, 12:11 PM
That was horrible. And I think the electric geetar player was actually having a seizure. Well, at least he ain't coming here to sing his shitty songs about being poor and stoopid. And I don't even think Bruce's geetar is even plugged in.

Fucking hell , he gets a triangle for Christmas and now he is Steve vai ;)

DONNIEP
04-24-2016, 12:17 PM
:umm:

:biggrin:

Ok, this was worth suffering through just for the geetar player. Slappy should fire Vic and hire that guy.

DONNIEP
04-24-2016, 12:20 PM
If this isn't the epitome of stoopid I don't know what is:

http://s31.postimg.org/w4isjeivv/image.png

This guy looks so stoopid he couldn't even get a job at The Walmart.

DONNIEP
04-24-2016, 12:22 PM
And what's up with the drummer? They can afford to have 37 people on stage and he gets a starter kit from Toys R Us?

DONNIEP
04-24-2016, 12:24 PM
Fucking hell , he gets a triangle for Christmas and now he is Steve vai ;)

I was expecting him to set his geetar on fire after that. So everybody knows just how awesome he is, just in case literally butt fucking his geetar didn't get the point across.

vandeleur
04-24-2016, 12:34 PM
I was expecting him to set his geetar on fire after that. So everybody knows just how awesome he is, just in case literally butt fucking his geetar didn't get the point across.

Ting ting ting

Terry
04-24-2016, 05:47 PM
You're a bit harsh here IMO, Terry. I mean, maybe your judgement about EVH is right, but to me Prince is way overrated in this thread. I've never felt overwhelmed while listening to his stuff, but rather like in a lousy nightclub on bad weed or adulterated alcohol and, mostly, bored. I'm not saying I'm right, but what I think about Prince's work.
And good on him if he really made those hot chicks feel over the moon like you see some during his Honky Tonk Women version that is just saturated, and partly off-beat guitar.

Anyway, that's often how it goes when a big one passes away.

I'm not even THAT big a fan of Prince (I'm far more likely to listen to Van Halen than Prince), but rest assured what I said is something I would have also said prior to Prince's death. Simply because that's the way I feel about it.

And speaking of Ed on a technical level, it is just a simple fact that Ed's technical ability on the instrument while not insubstantial is far from what I would consider 'masterful' or that of a 'virtuoso' when I consider the broad (i.e. beyond rock) spectrum of what the instrument has to offer...'virtuoso' and 'masterful' being two terms applied to Ed by others for years and will undoubtedly be reapplied when he dies.

Again, Ed is one of my favorite rock guitarists. Within that field, probably one of the all-time all-around greats. Prince as an artist, musician and songwriter was far ahead of Eddie Van Halen in terms of output and ability. It goes exactly back to what Jetstream said, in that Ed was great at one thing. And I'll make no bones about it in that Ed was great beyond mere Eruption-style solos in that he was a great rock guitarist in terms of composition, riffs and rhythms. Ed can't write worthwhile lyrics, can't sing well and can't produce/record his music in a manner that sounds better than when other producers/engineers do so. Outside of guitar, Ed can apparently play bass well, but for an accomplished guitar player that's not really a stretch. Ed can play keyboards, and I won't minimize the enduring qualities of what he did on Jump, but I'm not going to confuse that with Ed being one of the greatest rock keyboardists of all time.

Now, to be sure, people are doubtless going a bit overboard about Prince since he died. I'm not in terms of expressing how I felt about what Prince brought to the table for me as a talent. I'm not personally sad about his death (inasmuch as I didn't know the man) and outside of his Superbowl appearance 8 or so years back I haven't really paid attention to anything the guy has done since 1998. However, as an all-around prolific popular music talent Prince was the real deal. Ed was a great rock guitar player. And Ed only being a great rock guitar player - one of the all-time greats - isn't a slag or a slam or a criticism. It's just that by way of comparison, Prince was far more than ONLY a great rock guitar player in terms of sheer talent and ability.

vandeleur
04-24-2016, 05:55 PM
Last time I seen prince his singer was better than ed's :)

Jetstream
04-24-2016, 06:01 PM
If this isn't the epitome of stoopid I don't know what is:

http://s31.postimg.org/w4isjeivv/image.png

This guy looks so stoopid he couldn't even get a job at The Walmart.

Bruce has done some major work but a majority of his concerts now, especially when he is doing a cover, just sounds like some drunk angry guy in a bar screaming when he sings and it is more cringe worthy to me than even Dave screeching his attempted high octaves and I roll my eyes when they say 'The Boss' sings it with such passion lol

Jetstream
04-24-2016, 06:35 PM
If one wanted to put a Prince and Edward Van Halen comparison in another period of comparison and context, one could take classical music. Edward Van Halen is a virtuoso on electric guitar (and I stress electric because Ed sure the hell is no Andrés Segovia without his amp) and Prince would be more of a Mozart playing different instruments, writing far more unified compositions on his own and basically having a farther range of talent. I honestly believe that Dave's musical understanding in making Ed's assorted riffs and effects completed songs, his own odd mixture of eclectic music, made up 50% of classic Van Halen and not just his persona which really also defined their cultural appeal because Ed really can be as interesting as cardboard with his personality. Van Halen changed completely sound wise with Hagar because it really then became Hagar providing the foundation and not Dave for piecing together what Ed did. Of course, Ed is more than just "Eruption" and the Fair Warning LP is a testament to that but there to me is just a big gulf of ability that separates Prince from Ed musically. I think what hurts the most when one attempts to listen to Van Halen III is that one can identify the potential of the songs on the LP, though they style is not what one associates with Van Halen, and see Ed's limitations as a complete musician removed from being an electric guitar innovator. Ed did that LP by himself basically and he needed someone like Sting on some of those songs to make them flow and not sound like some fragmented expression. Yeah, some people went and said, "Ed is just experimenting with atonal sounds and letting out his inner John Cage" which to me is totally stretching it, Ed just cannot write completed songs by himself without some help. Granted with some help, or rather forceful guidance, Ed can be a major contributor and has offered some amazing rock music but he is limited it seems in his capacity to see direction in a song in my opinion. When I think of Ed writing music, it never seems like it is some enjoyable experience for him but more like some complicated task which really frustrates him when he is allowed as now to think about what he has to accomplish and Prince appeared like a guy who kept making music because it came easy and he could not get enough of it and in it he found joy and not some trial which to me is obvious by his vast catalog of music

Jetstream
04-24-2016, 06:48 PM
If one wanted to put a Prince and Edward Van Halen comparison in another period of comparison and context, one could take classical music. Edward Van Halen is a virtuoso on electric guitar (and I stress electric because Ed sure the hell is no Andrés Segovia without his amp) and Prince would be more of a Mozart playing different instruments, writing far more unified compositions on his own and basically having a farther range of talent. I honestly believe that Dave's musical understanding in making Ed's assorted riffs and effects completed songs, his own odd mixture of eclectic music, made up 50% of classic Van Halen and not just his persona which really also defined their cultural appeal because Ed really can be as interesting as cardboard with his personality. Van Halen changed completely sound wise with Hagar because it really then became Hagar providing the foundation and not Dave for piecing together what Ed did. Of course, Ed is more than just "Eruption" and the Fair Warning LP is a testament to that but there to me is just a big gulf of ability that separates Prince from Ed musically. I think what hurts the most when one attempts to listen to Van Halen III is that one can identify the potential of the songs on the LP, though they style is not what one associates with Van Halen, and see Ed's limitations as a complete musician removed from being an electric guitar innovator. Ed did that LP by himself basically and he needed someone like Sting on some of those songs to make them flow and not sound like some fragmented expression. Yeah, some people went and said, "Ed is just experimenting with atonal sounds and letting out his inner John Cage" which to me is totally stretching it, Ed just cannot write completed songs by himself without some help. Granted with some help, or rather forceful guidance, Ed can be a major contributor and has offered some amazing rock music but he is limited it seems in his capacity to see direction in a song in my opinion. When I think of Ed writing music, it never seems like it is some enjoyable experience for him but more like some complicated task which really frustrates him when he is allowed as now to think about what he has to accomplish and Prince appeared like a guy who kept making music because it came easy and he could not get enough of it and in it he found joy and not some trial which to me is obvious by his vast catalog of music

And when I say Ed would be a virtuoso in a classical format, I meant to say in vein of Franz Liszt :)

Terry
04-24-2016, 06:57 PM
With Van Halen 3, on an instrumental level there were some ideas that were of interest to me. But going back to what you said, without a producer and without a songwriting collaborator who brings a strong counterbalance (and who can sift through Ed's ideas and pick out what is listenable) to the creative process, left to his own devices Ed can't really come up with the goods. Not even in terms of sonics and sound production. Van Halen 3 was the closet thing to an album where Ed had complete control, and it deservedly undersold in comparison to the rest of the catalog. Far as a songwriting collaborator with a strong counterbalance and an ability to pick out what is worthwhile where Ed's ideas are concerned, clearly Sammy Hagar wasn't in that category. I have no doubt Hagar took whatever was presented to him, said "that's great, Ed" and sang over it.

I don't know if I'd quite agree that Ed was a virtuoso on the electric guitar. I think Ed was a virtuoso (or close to one) in the field of electric rock guitar. Hair-splitting, to be sure, but going back to my Nashville comparison if I go back and watch vids of Chet Atkins playing a Gretsch clean (with no distortion) with nothing other than his fingers (no pick) when Atkins gets going both in terms of speed and technique Atkins can do things that make Ed's high-E string picked trilling look almost amateurish...things that Ed couldn't do if he tried. Perhaps Atkins couldn't do the things Ed does, either...

Whatever. I'm not denying what Ed brought to rock guitar, but even within that field, Ed isn't the be-all end-all.

cadaverdog
04-24-2016, 07:39 PM
Whatever. I'm not denying what Ed brought to rock guitar, but even within that field, Ed isn't the be-all end-all.
In other words he's not Jimmy Page. :jamthis:

Satan
04-24-2016, 09:49 PM
In case anybody missed it, SNL aired a "Prince" episode last night. Sadly they put Jimmy Fallon in it, and some stupid Fred Armisen sketches, but the Prince performances themselves are Most Unholy indeed.....

http://www.hulu.com/watch/933621

Nickdfresh
04-24-2016, 10:39 PM

So you wouldn't fuck him?

Nickdfresh
04-24-2016, 10:45 PM
Bruce has done some major work but a majority of his concerts now, especially when he is doing a cover, just sounds like some drunk angry guy in a bar screaming when he sings...

Yeah? Your point?

Jetstream
04-24-2016, 10:56 PM
Yeah? Your point?

It is popular culture music and the point is simple, he sounds like some angry drunk guy in a bar screaming a lot of times now when he's singing live. "Nebraska", "Born In The USA", and even "Magic" to name a few are great LPs but like Dave now... he tends to totally lose track about singing when on stage now in my opinion

twonabomber
04-25-2016, 02:08 AM
In case anybody missed it, SNL aired a "Prince" episode last night. Sadly they put Jimmy Fallon in it, and some stupid Fred Armisen sketches, but the Prince performances themselves are Most Unholy indeed.....

http://www.hulu.com/watch/933621

Fallon is the face of NBC now? And acting like he's talking to an audience when there clearly is not one...lame.

twonabomber
04-25-2016, 02:18 AM
Sheila E.: Saying goodbye to Prince 'the hardest thing I've ever had to do'

By Jon Bream Star Tribune
April 24, 2016 — 10:46pm

After flying in from Los Angeles, Sheila E. walked into Paisley Park late Thursday night.

“You kind of expect him to walk around the corner and say something and hug me. He’s always greeting you at the door. There was a stillness but at the same time it was his home. It was still warm. It wasn’t cold-feeling at all. It was actually beautiful.”

They were close friends for nearly 40 years. He wrote hit songs for her, she played in his band and the two were for a time romantically linked.

“This is not how it’s supposed to be. Things we talked about, he didn’t talk about death. He was always in the now. Let’s create. I thought we were going to grow old together,” the drummer, 58, said late Sunday afternoon, 24 hours after she’d attended a small, private memorial at Paisley Park. “I’m trying to be strong. He wouldn’t want me to sit here and cry. He’d want us to celebrate.”

Following the 57-year-old Prince’s death Thursday morning, Sheila E. became an in-demand media subject. She gave 25 interviews this weekend in Minneapolis and turned down requests for at least 50 more. Many took place in a studio inside the WCCO-TV building.

“It’s hard. It’s hard to talk about, but it’s also helping me,” she said in a soft monotone. “Sometimes in interviews or between interviews, I end up crying.”

She described the scene at Prince’s Saturday memorial. The room was dimly lit. Candles were burning as was always the case when Prince was around. His custom-made purple grand piano was sitting on the stage in the next room as it had been when he last opened Paisley to the public for a dance party on April 16.

Prince songs — recorded by him or other artists like Chaka Khan or the Time — were playing at the memorial.

“Some of those songs were hard to listen to,” said the drummer, her eyes moistening behind her thick black-framed eyeglasses. “I just started crying uncontrollably.”

Prince’s sister, Tyka Nelson, and brother, Omar Baker, greeted people. There were no formal speeches or service.

“There was not a lot of talking. You grabbed on to someone, hugged them and cried,” Sheila E. said.

Among the handful of mourners were model Damaris Lewis, purple-clad Larry Graham, bassist and Prince’s spiritual mentor, and Kirk Johnson, his aide-de-camp who ran Paisley and played drums in the band.

“I had his urn in my hand,” Sheila said, fighting back tears. “It was unreal.”

“Saying goodbye to him was the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do.”

She paused, took a breath — and paused again.

Sitting in a green room at WCCO-TV, the California percussionist was clearly spent, belying the sunniness of her multicolored top.

Dressed casually, the well-known shoe fashionista was wearing black tennis shoes — after two days in high heels.

‘Not even aspirin’

The topic turned to the unconfirmed reports by celeb news site TMZ and British tabloid the Daily Mail that Prince was addicted to painkillers.

“I’ve never seen him take anything, not even aspirin, in the 38 years I’ve known him,” Sheila E. said matter-of-factly, not defensively.

“Was he in pain? Yeah, he was in pain. I’m in pain every day. People don’t even know what it’s like to play two or three hours in a show. We’re athletes. Athletes go back out — it doesn’t matter if they’re hurt.

“Him jumping off those risers — is that going to injure his hip? Yeah, I think so. And in heels too. He was in pain. My back went out. I was partly paralyzed for two weeks, then my lung collapsed. You think it’s not going to hurt. Ask any musicians and artists. It’s hard to do what we do. We love it so much that the sacrifice is to go back out and do it again.

“I’ve got a brace I wear on my hand for the tendon in my thumb. I’ve got a tear in my shoulder. I’m in physical therapy right now. The older we get, it doesn’t get easier at all.”

Met Prince in 1978

Sheila Escovedo grew up in a family of percussionists. Her father, Pete, and Uncle Coke both played with Santana and the band Azteca. In her 20s, Sheila played with Lionel Richie, Marvin Gaye, Herbie Hancock and Diana Ross, among others.

Prince met Sheila when she was performing with her father in 1978. She sang backup on his “Let’s Go Crazy” on the album “Purple Rain” in 1984 and he, in turn, wrote hits for her, including “The Glamorous Life” and “A Love Bizarre.” After performing as the opening act on his Purple Rain Tour, she became the drummer in Prince’s band in 1987.

After that two-year stint, she launched a solo career specializing in Latin jazz. She also worked as bandleader for Magic Johnson’s TV, toured as part of Ringo Starr & His All-Star Band and recorded with Gloria Estefan, Beyoncé and Phil Collins, among others. All along, she’d occasionally sit in with Prince and his band.

Planning celebration

On Thursday morning in Los Angeles, Sheila E. received a text from her uncle, who works at a San Diego newsroom, about Prince’s death. She and her manager, Gilbert Davison (who used to be Prince’s manager), immediately booked a flight to the Twin Cities.

“We got on the plane and it was full of reporters and cameras. All the flights to Minneapolis were sold out,” she said.

Since the drummer has organized all-star concerts for charity, she has been charged with organizing the public musical celebration for Prince.

Although the planning is in the preliminary stages, she’s already looking at the place in Minneapolis with the most purple seats — U.S. Bank Stadium.

It doesn’t open until July 23.

“I know that,” she said, smiling just a little bit.

Seshmeister
04-25-2016, 08:51 AM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2016/04/22/defying-description-zz-tops-billy-gibbons-on-prince-the-sensational-guitarist/

‘Defying description': ZZ Top’s Billy Gibbons on Prince the ‘sensational’ guitarist

https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://img.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/files/2016/04/gibbonsprince-1024x576.jpg&w=1484

Prince’s guitar-slinging skills were no secret. Whether at the Super Bowl, stealing a Rock Hall all-star jam or on his records, he could play it all. But to hear ZZ Top’s legendary frontman Billy Gibbons tell it, Prince wasn’t just a great guitar player. He was downright otherworldly. Gibbons spoke to The Post Friday about the guitar player who could stump even him.

So much has been said about Prince but I do think it’s important to remember that his guitar playing was, I don’t know, just sensational. Tell me how you’d describe it.

Well, to borrow your word, sensational is about as close a description of Prince’s guitar playing as words might allow. I believe that the feeling one was left with, if afforded the luxury of actually seeing Prince perform … we’d be looking for other superlatives. Because it’s almost got to the point of defying description.

You had an interesting encounter with Prince.

It was following the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 25th anniversary celebration [in 2009]. They had a two night grand hurrah at Madison Square Garden and I was invited to perform with Jeff Beck. And following that appearance, I found myself back at the hotel and I wandered off in search of some late-night grub and my favorite 24-hour joint was shut down for unknown reasons. I tiptoed across the street to the Tiger Bar. I was just standing at the front and I was approached by a rather large gentleman and he said, ‘You’re wanted at the corner table.’ And there was Prince sitting all by his lonesome. And I gave him a brief tip of the hat and sat down and said, ‘Hey man, it’s so good to see you.’ He said, ‘It’s so good to see you. Let’s talk about guitar playing.’ I said, ‘Why not?’ And in the next two hours we really dove into the depth of his intent, interest and focus toward technique and tone. I left that evening even more mesmerized than I’d previously been, just knowing the sincerity that Prince kept toward his playing, his performing and his all-around showmanship.

You’re a little bit older, you come from Texas and I’d imagine you first learned about Prince in the early ’80s, when you were both MTV stars.

As you may remember, he began bubbling up without a lot of advance fanfare. There was just this vague knowledge of this new guy on the scene called Prince. And then, of course, we all got our world rocked when “Purple Rain” showed up at the theaters. Even today, I’m struggling to try and emulate that guitar introduction to “When Doves Cry.” It’s just a testament to his extraordinary technique.

Wait. When you say emulate — you mean you try to play it and you can’t?

I continually come back to attempting to piece together each and every one of those segments. And it’s very short. It’s not an extended solo by any means. But the way it is delivered. There’s certainly no way to write it. You’ve just got to dive in and feel it to see if you could come close. This might be a little off the subject, but just this morning, Andy Langer sent me a link to Prince on YouTube performing “Honky Tonk Woman.” I had never seen it. I don’t know if there’s a fixed date that could be attached to it. I would encourage you to check it out. Here, within the four minute time span, you really get a sense of urgency that was behind his dedication to playing.

Technique. You’ve said that a few times.

Three times.

Yes, three. That’s a very particular word. Prince is somebody we always thought of as flash, beautiful, almost touched by something otherworldly. But when I hear the word technique, I think of practice, intellect, study.

Yes, and we can only surmise that there were a great number of hours in private where he was developing ways to approach the guitar that ultimately led to his prowess over the instrument. I bring this up over the years. My friendship with Prince was made known. There was hardly a day that went by if Prince’s name came up in the conversation, little did they give credit to his guitar playing. It was more about the flash. The showiness. There are a few repeatable examples that were fortunately caught on film or record that will settle the score once and for all. When I sat down with Prince that fateful evening in Manhattan, he was really touched by the fact that I knew quite a bit of his guitar playing … It was so funny because there was a legion of Brazilian carnival dancers that had invaded the club and they had taken over the bar. They were dancing on the bar … this was all going on in the background. Prince was unfettered. He just wanted to talk about playing.
Remembering Prince, a life in pictures
View Photos
Prince, the legendary musician from Minneapolis, dies at 57.

I wonder if because he had so much style, whether he ever felt that his playing was overshadowed.

Oh yeah. In fact, that entered the conversation. He asked me, ‘Does your beard get in the way like some of my costumes?’ And I was stunned momentarily and I thought about it and said, ‘You know, perhaps so.’ But then he grabbed my arm and said, ‘Don’t get me wrong, I’m okay with it.’

Last thing. That night, two hours of guitar talk. Is there anything specifically you remember telling him or him telling you about basically how to play?

I don’t know about anything that specific. I was quite flattered that he knew specific song titles that had a specific guitar sound. He said, I’ve really enjoyed some of the work that showed up on that monster hit of yours, “Eliminator,” the sound of “Gimme All Your Lovin’” He went on to cite a number of titles. I said, ‘Okay, I could give you some amplifier settings, I could give you some guitar strings.’ I said, ‘Why don’t you tell me about ‘When Doves Cry’? He just smiled. ‘That one gets me too.’

I didn’t know how to take that. Was he was suggesting he stumbled upon it by accident or he didn’t have words to describe it? I’m just happy to know that he took it as a compliment.

private parts
04-25-2016, 10:16 AM
Funny thing is one of the first things I did last week was go to youtube and see if anybody knew how to play intro to "Doves Cry".
Not much out there. Sounds like Eddie Van Hendrix or some alien hybrid.

Seshmeister
04-25-2016, 11:03 AM
Someones done it now

Jérôme Frenchise
04-25-2016, 02:21 PM
I'm not even THAT big a fan of Prince (I'm far more likely to listen to Van Halen than Prince), but rest assured what I said is something I would have also said prior to Prince's death. Simply because that's the way I feel about it.

And speaking of Ed on a technical level, it is just a simple fact that Ed's technical ability on the instrument while not insubstantial is far from what I would consider 'masterful' or that of a 'virtuoso' when I consider the broad (i.e. beyond rock) spectrum of what the instrument has to offer...'virtuoso' and 'masterful' being two terms applied to Ed by others for years and will undoubtedly be reapplied when he dies.

Again, Ed is one of my favorite rock guitarists. Within that field, probably one of the all-time all-around greats. Prince as an artist, musician and songwriter was far ahead of Eddie Van Halen in terms of output and ability. It goes exactly back to what Jetstream said, in that Ed was great at one thing. And I'll make no bones about it in that Ed was great beyond mere Eruption-style solos in that he was a great rock guitarist in terms of composition, riffs and rhythms. Ed can't write worthwhile lyrics, can't sing well and can't produce/record his music in a manner that sounds better than when other producers/engineers do so. Outside of guitar, Ed can apparently play bass well, but for an accomplished guitar player that's not really a stretch. Ed can play keyboards, and I won't minimize the enduring qualities of what he did on Jump, but I'm not going to confuse that with Ed being one of the greatest rock keyboardists of all time.

Now, to be sure, people are doubtless going a bit overboard about Prince since he died. I'm not in terms of expressing how I felt about what Prince brought to the table for me as a talent. I'm not personally sad about his death (inasmuch as I didn't know the man) and outside of his Superbowl appearance 8 or so years back I haven't really paid attention to anything the guy has done since 1998. However, as an all-around prolific popular music talent Prince was the real deal. Ed was a great rock guitar player. And Ed only being a great rock guitar player - one of the all-time greats - isn't a slag or a slam or a criticism. It's just that by way of comparison, Prince was far more than ONLY a great rock guitar player in terms of sheer talent and ability.

Cheers! I don't agree, but I don't disagree with you either. It's just that Prince's music - and person - have always bored the shit out of me ( but I know some people whom CVH bore the shit out of, starting with my loved one... :) ).
Mostly, I feel sorry that on this website that is dedicated to the performer of the late 70s/early 80s Prince, one of the (undeniably true) artists who most get me bored, gets so much praise, may he be dead or not.

Damned... How hard you had to prick up your ears to that music to get why some would wriggle their asses... Sorry but I don't get it. :D

Terry
04-25-2016, 06:29 PM
Cheers! I don't agree, but I don't disagree with you either. It's just that Prince's music - and person - have always bored the shit out of me ( but I know some people whom CVH bore the shit out of, starting with my loved one... :) ).
Mostly, I feel sorry that on this website that is dedicated to the performer of the late 70s/early 80s Prince, one of the (undeniably true) artists who most get me bored, gets so much praise, may he be dead or not.

Damned... How hard you had to prick up your ears to that music to get why some would wriggle their asses... Sorry but I don't get it. :D

Yeah, in all seriousness, I get what you're saying. I've always respected what you've had to say and enjoyed reading what you've had to say, and that's not going to change regardless of your indifference to Prince's music.

Music, to me...a band/singer either has an impact on me emotionally when I hear the music or they don't. I either react to what I'm hearing or (in some cases) I don't. And I can't fake a reaction, and see no reason to pretend otherwise, even when said artist passes away and seemingly everybody else is falling all over their asses to praise that artist.

And the whole hub-bub over Prince in the wake of his death rings a bit hollow to a degree in that I can't even remember the last time I heard Prince being mentioned by so many people since the mid-1980s...even after his Superbowl appearance. And I'll bet more than a few of those people who are falling all over their asses now to praise Prince since he died, if you asked them "So, what was your favorite Prince song?" they'd pause for a moment while mentally trying to recollect one, then say "Purple Rain!" because they don't even KNOW any others! It was kinda like when David Bowie died recently, and every other cunt was blathering about how they had "always" loved David Bowie. It's like, no, you DIDN'T always love David Bowie because his record sales post-Let's Dance weren't in any way reflective of the amount of people claiming to have been "diehard" Bowie fans in the wake of HIS death, either.

I mean, there's no 'right' or 'wrong' opinion in terms of if you don't care for Prince, therefore you must be 'wrong'. His stuff either has an effect on you or it doesn't.

Terry
04-25-2016, 06:35 PM
Same thing when Glen Frey died recently.

There was this massive outpouring of media/internet blather about how Frey was one of the most important songwriters of the last 50 years or some such thing.

The Eagles tunes Frey sung on are among the most boring in their catalog for me (and I'm not all that hot on the rest of what The Eagles did to begin with). Glen Frey's solo stuff was even worse, in that my reaction to all of it was utter boredom. Listening to that stuff didn't even arouse enough emotion for me to be angry or bitterly opposed to hearing it. Just bland and boring. Apparently I was in the minority with that opinion, because after he died all I heard and read was one comment after another about his 'genius'. Well, his stuff still was still yawn-inducing to me even after he died, and I have no misgivings about saying so.

Kristy
04-25-2016, 07:35 PM
Someones done it now

Good ol' slave SESH You can always count on him to post a failed musician vid.

Kristy
04-25-2016, 08:07 PM
And the whole hub-bub over Prince in the wake of his death rings a bit hollow to a degree in that I can't even remember the last time I heard Prince being mentioned by so many people since the mid-1980s...even after his Superbowl appearance. And I'll bet more than a few of those people who are falling all over their asses now to praise Prince since he died, if you asked them "So, what was your favorite Prince song?" they'd pause for a moment while mentally trying to recollect one, then say "Purple Rain!" because they don't even KNOW any others! It was kinda like when David Bowie died recently, and every other cunt was blathering about how they had "always" loved David Bowie. It's like, no, you DIDN'T always love David Bowie because his record sales post-Let's Dance weren't in any way reflective of the amount of people claiming to have been "diehard" Bowie fans in the wake of HIS death, either.

Oh Jesus fucking Christ, do I have to explain everything? Prince was an asshole. Bottom line. In his case, this always wasn't a bad thing seeing as he wanted to self-produce and have complete "artistic control" over every little shit he dropped on wax. Problem was, he was an asshole to his fellow bands mates, girlfriends/wives and most of all his fans. Prince had a reputation of acting like a punk-ass bitch his his fan base and alienating them. I found it so surprising why so many are calling him a "genius" when he was the most ungratuitous cocksucker on the planet. Granted, some of his assholeness resulted from being royalty fucked over by his contract with Warner Brothers but instead of being a man about it his painted "SLAVE" on his face and sulked into victimhood. I had zero respect for the guy after that. His ego was just as irksome. I didn't mind his stage flamboyance for that's what made Prince, Prince. Yet he continued to shit on his fans by threatening them with ridiculous lawsuits on anyone who dared to show a "unofficial" vid of him on JewTube. He actually took some cases to court that made that fucking moron from Metallica look like a nice guy.

His "music" after the Warners fallout was at best, fucking abominable. No doubt, he had suits behind him pulling strings whether he would ever admit to it or not but now he just had himself and his cock to write and sing about. Boring. People grew tired of the persona that was Prince and followed him more in the way of a parody of Prince - like how Springsteen does with himself these days. 'Face Down' was the god damn pinnacle of his ego/victimhood assholeness.

By now you can see Prince was believing his own bullshit, comparing himself to Elvis and what is up with the language - wasn't that alone against his Jehovah principles? Fucking hypocrite. Like I said, I'm glad he's gone.

DLR Bridge
04-25-2016, 08:27 PM
Hmm. He always spoke highly of you.

Satan
04-25-2016, 08:46 PM
Funny how Kristy runs around calling everybody "Slaves", but when Prince calls himself a "slave", she has a problem with it.

Seshmeister
04-25-2016, 08:50 PM
She's just babbling incoherent bile at this point.

Kristy
04-25-2016, 09:13 PM
Poor slave SESH No matter what. A failed musician at the end of every day of his life.

Seshmeister
04-25-2016, 09:17 PM
That would be sad but music has always just been a hobby.

I don't want to sound cruel but how are you managing being a failed person?

Satan
04-25-2016, 09:22 PM
http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/3551/9762/original.jpg

Kristy
04-25-2016, 09:33 PM
That would be sad but music has always just been a hobby.

I don't want to sound cruel but how are you managing being a failed person?

So...I'm your manager now?

cadaverdog
04-25-2016, 10:46 PM
http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/3551/9762/original.jpg

Maybe she thought it was Prince Albert. Rumors of his emminent demise have been going around for years.

twonabomber
04-26-2016, 02:44 AM
I won't quote Kristy's post, in case I move it later. :D

Prince was a great musician, but was also a lousy businessman. There were failed mail order services and failed websites. The websites could have simply been a case of hiring the wrong people to do it. I believe the mail order thing he did in the mid 90's was handled in-house. There are plenty of reports of people who ordered Crystal Ball via mail or telephone and never got it, or received it after the set arrived at retail.

Prince did sue YouTube and eBay in '07, claiming they hosted copyrighted material. And then in November, a bunch of the fan sites formed "Prince Fans United" to fight back against legal requests which, they claim, Prince made to prevent all use of media linked to his likeness. He always ended up dropping the lawsuits.

There were a few web projects that didn't work out the way they were planned. I think the one around Lotusflower was the last one that failed. NPG Music Club, too.

twonabomber
04-26-2016, 02:51 AM
And he didn't go JW until 2002, but he did drop the profanity before that. Wouldn't sing Darling Nikki any more, he let the audience sing the first verse and then cut us off, and went to another song.

Granted, some of his assholeness resulted from being royalty fucked over by his contract with Warner Brothers but instead of being a man about it his painted "SLAVE" on his face and sulked into victimhood. I had zero respect for the guy after that.

"Slave" started around 1992. Wouldn't you have been around six to ten years old then?

twonabomber
04-26-2016, 03:02 AM

It's not like it's in Main. And knowing that DLR is into old R&B and what he calls "floor," you're surprised that VH fans may be into something else?

What's to get? It's not trigonometry, it's music. You got it enough to come in here and bitch... :D

SunisinuS
04-26-2016, 05:56 AM
Make Kristy's Pussy Stretch!

We don't know what to do or say:

Seshmeister
04-26-2016, 08:25 AM
It's not like it's in Main. And knowing that DLR is into old R&B and what he calls "floor," you're surprised that VH fans may be into something else?

Worth pointing out that in Roth's short radio career he only ever did one or two album reviews but he did do a song by song review of '3121', probably not Prince's greatest by a stretch. He pointed out weaknesses but he was clearly a fan and had followed the tiny purple person's career.

Dave also dated the girl from Purple Rain and an ex of Prince, Apollonia Kotero.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/9e/5e/fb/9e5efb36704eac32ac0422912eb09756.jpg

Kristy
04-26-2016, 09:50 AM
"Slave" started around 1992. Wouldn't you have been around six to ten years old then?

How is that relevant to anything?

vandeleur
04-26-2016, 10:15 AM

Think he was trying to get you to shut the fuck up , I say trying I mean hoping ;)

twonabomber
04-26-2016, 10:23 AM

You were likely losing pieces of Barbie's wardrobe at that age and not respect for someone.

Just proving you're a shitty troll.

twonabomber
04-26-2016, 10:31 AM
Think he was trying to get you to shut the fuck up , I say trying I mean hoping ;)

and this, too.

twonabomber
04-26-2016, 10:37 AM
Worth pointing out that in Roth's short radio career he only ever did one or two album reviews but he did do a song by song review of '3121', probably not Prince's greatest by a stretch. He pointed out weaknesses but he was clearly a fan and had followed the tiny purple person's career.

Dave also dated the girl from Purple Rain and an ex of Prince, Apollonia Kotero.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/9e/5e/fb/9e5efb36704eac32ac0422912eb09756.jpg

I can listen to 3121 all the way through. Musicology, too. Can't say that about a lot of the later albums.

Nickdfresh
04-26-2016, 01:23 PM
Oh Jesus fucking Christ, do I have to explain everything? Prince was an asshole. Bottom line. In his case, this always wasn't a bad thing seeing as he wanted to self-produce and have complete "artistic control" over every little shit he dropped on wax. Problem was, he was an asshole to his fellow bands mates, girlfriends/wives and most of all his fans. Prince had a reputation of acting like a punk-ass bitch his his fan base and alienating them. I found it so surprising why so many are calling him a "genius" when he was the most ungratuitous cocksucker on the planet. Granted, some of his assholeness resulted from being royalty fucked over by his contract with Warner Brothers but instead of being a man about it his painted "SLAVE" on his face and sulked into victimhood. I had zero respect for the guy after that. His ego was just as irksome. I didn't mind his stage flamboyance for that's what made Prince, Prince. Yet he continued to shit on his fans by threatening them with ridiculous lawsuits on anyone who dared to show a "unofficial" vid of him on JewTube. He actually took some cases to court that made that fucking moron from Metallica look like a nice guy.

His "music" after the Warners fallout was at best, fucking abominable. No doubt, he had suits behind him pulling strings whether he would ever admit to it or not but now he just had himself and his cock to write and sing about. Boring. People grew tired of the persona that was Prince and followed him more in the way of a parody of Prince - like how Springsteen does with himself these days. 'Face Down' was the god damn pinnacle of his ego/victimhood assholeness.

By now you can see Prince was believing his own bullshit, comparing himself to Elvis and what is up with the language - wasn't that alone against his Jehovah principles? Fucking hypocrite. Like I said, I'm glad he's gone.

Just shitting out of your mouth, and onto the posting field...

Yeah, horrible to his fans. Like those free after hours shows at local bars after his concerts where he often played for hours...

Nickdfresh
04-26-2016, 01:24 PM
According to his sister, Prince left no will...

twonabomber
04-26-2016, 01:44 PM

More poor business sense. That's going to be a mess.

Satan
04-26-2016, 01:56 PM
Great Jehova's Purple Balls! Are you kidding me?? After all that dragonshit with Warner Brothers, he didn't write a fucking will?? http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d070.gif

It's my understanding that the sister is his only full blood relative, but there are half siblings from both mommy & daddy's sides of the family tree.

So who gets to be Janie and who gets fucked over like Leon this time around?

twonabomber
04-26-2016, 02:00 PM
And from what I'm reading, Minnesota law says half siblings are entitled to a cut. There are six surviving siblings.

Beyond that, not much is known. Supposedly Paisley Park owns all the assets, and Prince is listed as president and/or majority shareholder.

Anyone who thinks it gets bad on this site should check out the forums at prince dot org. It's a fucking mess. All kinds of crazy theories and opinions. Makes us look normal.

twonabomber
04-26-2016, 02:11 PM
Sirius has made channel 50, The Groove, the Prince tribute channel. Originally said it was going through the weekend, but it's still on. They're not really playing anything I don't already have but they're mixing it up pretty good. Early Friday morning they ran the whole second disc of One Nite Alone Live. Playing a lot of the B sides and long versions too, just had Shockadelica and now the long version of Kiss. Sheila E., but oddly enough, The Time has been left out. I'll spin them later.

And reading the tributes and comments on various sites, you can tell who has been a fan since the beginning and who came in late.

Sheila E. has hinted that she was put in charge of the musical tribute show. Sounds like she's aiming to have it at the new stadium where the Vikings will play.

vandeleur
04-26-2016, 02:29 PM
Wow ... He clearly has made a pretty huge effort to ensure some legacy with this vault of material but then to not have the fore sight to protect it legally is a bit shit.

twonabomber
04-26-2016, 03:02 PM
There are some collections that have been floating around for years. There's a set called Work It, six CD's. Tracklist of disc six:

Prince - Possessed #1
Prince - Take Me With U
Prince - The Beautiful Ones
Prince - G-Spot
Prince - Computer Blue #1
Prince - Computer Blue #2
Prince - Computer Blue #3
Prince - Computer Blue #4
Prince - Darling Nikki #1
Prince - I Would Die 4 U

Of which Computer Blue #4 seems to be the standout, with more guitar than what ended up on the Purple Rain soundtrack and movie.

But then disc 2 looks like

Prince - instrumental
Prince - Make It Through The Storm
Prince - Baby #1
Prince - Baby #2
Prince - We Can Work It Out
Prince - My Love Is Forever
Prince - instrumental 1
Prince - instrumental 2
Prince - instrumental 3
Prince - instrumental 4
Prince - instrumental 5
Prince - instrumental 6
Prince - instrumental 7
Prince - instrumental 8

which are just different takes and a bunch of instrumentals. Some of that may have ended up being on the Madhouse albums.

Or the Purple Rush set

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r169/mdallas07/sab5_zpseowo4idy.jpg

with versions of songs Prince gave to others with his original vocal tracks.

cadaverdog
04-26-2016, 04:09 PM
Wow ... He clearly has made a pretty huge effort to ensure some legacy with this vault of material but then to not have the fore sight to protect it legally is a bit shit.
I find it hard to believe he had no will but I would assume a company with shareholders would have some type of legal contract in place outlining what whoever takes over Prince's share of the company can and cannot do to protect the interests of the other shareholders.

Seshmeister
04-26-2016, 05:07 PM
I was half expecting a will leaving it to the JW cult.

DONNIEP
04-26-2016, 05:38 PM
Ah, whatever happens to his "vaults", it won't really make any difference to me. I thought the guy was amazing back in the day but haven't had one moment in the past 15 years or so when I thought "Man, I really need to get the new Prince/AFUK/Slave (or whatever he was calling himself) record!" Didn't bother to try to listen to any of them either. So whatever.

vandeleur
04-26-2016, 06:11 PM
Ah, whatever happens to his "vaults", it won't really make any difference to me. I thought the guy was amazing back in the day but haven't had one moment in the past 15 years or so when I thought "Man, I really need to get the new Prince/AFUK/Slave (or whatever he was calling himself) record!" Didn't bother to try to listen to any of them either. So whatever.

You said the same about Dave :-p

Satan
04-26-2016, 06:11 PM
And from what I'm reading, Minnesota law says half siblings are entitled to a cut. There are six surviving siblings.

Beyond that, not much is known. Supposedly Paisley Park owns all the assets, and Prince is listed as president and/or majority shareholder.

Anyone who thinks it gets bad on this site should check out the forums at prince dot org. It's a fucking mess. All kinds of crazy theories and opinions. Makes us look normal.

Hell radio just reported that Tyka (the full sister) is filing to be the executor of the estate, which shouldn't be a problem, since she's obviously his closest living relative. But she also says that other family members want to turn Paisley Park into another Graceland, so clearly they have their own plans to cash in.

Maybe the JWs will make their own claim, using the biblical "tithing" concept to say that Jehova should get His 10% off the top of all future Purple Profits.

Seshmeister
04-26-2016, 06:50 PM

Yeah the interest for me was as a live act at this point - I've seen him 4 times in the past 15 years and enjoyed it each time but didn't follow his new releases.

twonabomber
04-26-2016, 07:58 PM
The live stuff is the draw for me, too.

I like hearing unreleased songs I've heard about over the years but sometimes I realize why he put them back in the vault.

Currently I've been listening to Dream Factory, which was to be a three disc set but Warners had him cut it down to two discs. It ended up being Sign O The Times. 19 tracks on Dream Factory and only 7 of them I hadn't heard, the rest were on SOTT and Crystal Ball.

twonabomber
04-26-2016, 09:31 PM
But she also says that other family members want to turn Paisley Park into another Graceland, so clearly they have their own plans to cash in.

A local on the .org forums says Paisley Park isn't really all that close to MPLS proper, and that there isn't much else to do around Chanhassen.

Attendees of Paisley Park events are often told to park at another location and take a shuttle bus to the studio. I guess there isn't much parking on the premises.

twonabomber
04-27-2016, 03:37 AM
Rolling Stone has suddenly become useful.

Paul Westerberg on Prince

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/paul-westerberg-remembers-prince-i-cant-think-of-anyone-better-20160422

Unpublished Prince interview from 2014

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/princes-lost-rolling-stone-interview-i-dont-think-about-gone-20160422

In Praise of Prince's Long Lost Concert Film, SOTT

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/sign-o-the-times-in-praise-of-princes-great-lost-concert-film-20160422

Questlove remembers Prince

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/questlove-remembers-prince-in-this-life-youre-on-your-own-20160425

Jérôme Frenchise
04-27-2016, 05:33 AM
Yeah, in all seriousness, I get what you're saying. I've always respected what you've had to say and enjoyed reading what you've had to say, and that's not going to change regardless of your indifference to Prince's music.

Music, to me...a band/singer either has an impact on me emotionally when I hear the music or they don't. I either react to what I'm hearing or (in some cases) I don't. And I can't fake a reaction, and see no reason to pretend otherwise, even when said artist passes away and seemingly everybody else is falling all over their asses to praise that artist.

I mean, there's no 'right' or 'wrong' opinion in terms of if you don't care for Prince, therefore you must be 'wrong'. His stuff either has an effect on you or it doesn't.

I understand your point - I was mainly saying I'd never got into Prince's music, like I've never got into Iron Maiden for example. Prince was a (maybe the) top notch in his music alley, and Maiden in theirs, but if one doesn't dig their works doesn't allow them to state they suck, it's a trap many people fall through, I agree - I always try not to, safe about artists who actually suck, and there are some. :)

As far as the automatic craze for freshly departed famous artists, it's just how it goes every time, it's a real drag but you can't prevent it from happening. And yes, suddenly people will praise everything they've done, even the elevator music they might have released like Bowie tended to record mainly in the last 30 years.

Anyway, as my father used to tell me, "if you don't like something, don't try to put others off it". :)

Jérôme Frenchise
04-27-2016, 05:43 AM

That's true after all, nothing surprising that they're into dance music too. :)

What's to get? It's not trigonometry, it's music. You got it enough to come in here and bitch... :D

That's better, because I don't have much to say about trigonometry. :D

But that's right, it's only music we're talking about, nothing serious.

Just one thing I thought afterwards about geniusses in music: who are/were they?

I found 4: the Beach Boys, the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix and Queen.

Not necessarily what I dig most listening, but I found those four. :umm:

I can see the flaming coming hard now. :D

twonabomber
04-27-2016, 06:57 AM
Maybe Brian Wilson, and not the whole of the Beach Boys.

Queen...how much credit do their co-producers get?

vandeleur
04-27-2016, 07:33 AM
I fucking hate queen hahaha fuck Freddie cockduster .

That's for Donniep really :D

Jérôme Frenchise
04-27-2016, 12:27 PM
Maybe Brian Wilson, and not the whole of the Beach Boys.

Queen...how much credit do their co-producers get?

Indeed... But didn't they all sound like they did because they played together and not with anyone else instead of any of them? :)

Ringo Starr could never have drummed in the Who, but he was kind of irreplaceable, wasn't he?

cadaverdog
04-27-2016, 12:44 PM
Ringo Starr could never have drummed in the Who, but he was kind of irreplaceable, wasn't he?
No.

Terry
04-27-2016, 09:11 PM
I understand your point - I was mainly saying I'd never got into Prince's music, like I've never got into Iron Maiden for example. Prince was a (maybe the) top notch in his music alley, and Maiden in theirs, but if one doesn't dig their works doesn't allow them to state they suck, it's a trap many people fall through, I agree - I always try not to, safe about artists who actually suck, and there are some. :)

As far as the automatic craze for freshly departed famous artists, it's just how it goes every time, it's a real drag but you can't prevent it from happening. And yes, suddenly people will praise everything they've done, even the elevator music they might have released like Bowie tended to record mainly in the last 30 years.

Anyway, as my father used to tell me, "if you don't like something, don't try to put others off it". :)

How in the FUCK have you never gotten into Iron Maiden? ;)

Basically, when I say a certain musician/group sucks, I'm speaking for myself. And by 'suck' I'm saying I have no use for them.

I'd certainly never go onto a site dedicated to a group or artist I have no use for (like, say, a site dedicated to David Lee Roth, for example) and type post after post about how much they suck ("David Lee Roth is lame, any male who liked David Lee Roth's music is a closet homosexual" blah blah blah), because at that point you're just being a useless troll dickhead...even if you're doing it under an alias name, or whatever your motivation is.

I'll engage in frank criticism of a musician or a particular album or performance or whatever.

I just think the whole thing of paying tribute to a famous musician after they die is...I don't want to say useless, but somewhat pointless: hey, Springsteen, why didn't you play a cover of Purple Rain in concert when Prince was still alive and could have enjoyed it? The rest of us don't need you to tell us it was a good tune now that Prince is dead.

If what someone did is worth honoring, it's worth honoring while that person is still alive. When it is done after that person is dead, it's less a case of honoring that person as it is bandwagon jumping (a sheeplike baying of public grief because seemingly everyone else is doing it - Princess Diana's death springs to mind). I mean, how much sadness can one REALLY have for the death of someone they didn't even know...

Whatever. I'm just being a cunt about it. I'll shut the fuck up now.

Satan
04-27-2016, 09:34 PM
Bruce probably wouldn't have wanted to do a cover of Purple Rain while Prince was alive, because it was one of his signature songs. Much like Bruce himself probably wouldn't want to hear anybody else singing "Born to Run"

Jetstream
04-28-2016, 01:04 AM

I know from a good source his sister, Tyka Train Set, is still a crack head and did some really bat crazy shit at Paisley Park a day after Prince's death which makes it surreal she might have some control regarding his music, though a judge might actually find it easy to proclaim her as totally incoherent to lay claim lol

Jetstream
04-28-2016, 01:12 AM
Bruce probably wouldn't have wanted to do a cover of Purple Rain while Prince was alive, because it was one of his signature songs. Much like Bruce himself probably wouldn't want to hear anybody else singing "Born to Run"

I think the song was done out of respect for Prince's legacy and I really don't think it was about Bruce wanting any pub

Seshmeister
04-28-2016, 03:43 PM
Everyone seems to be jumping in at the moment...

vandeleur
04-28-2016, 03:51 PM
Pretty lights , it's like the Aurora boreyarsehole ;)

vandeleur
04-28-2016, 03:54 PM
Yes the solo in comfortably numb is good but I still don't like the floyd man :)

DONNIEP
04-28-2016, 06:48 PM
Yes the solo in comfortably numb is good but I still don't like the floyd man :)

Never did care for Pink Floyd. I was too busy having fun to sit in some room tripped out on mushrooms or acid or marijuana cigarettes or whatever you people got hi on and listened to that stuff lol. I like some of their songs, just never got into them. They don't smile enough.

chefcraig
04-28-2016, 07:14 PM
Never did care for Pink Floyd. I was too busy having fun to sit in some room tripped out on mushrooms or acid or marijuana cigarettes or whatever you people got hi on and listened to that stuff lol. I like some of their songs, just never got into them. They don't smile enough.

I liked Floyd before I started getting high. Oddly enough, once I started, they bored me to tears. I honestly got more out of Flintstones and Warner Brothers cartoons by that time.

On that point, did anyone ever see the episode where the Coyote actually caught the Road Runner? It was a "clips" show, wherein the Coyote recalls all the shit he went through over the years trying to capture the Road Runner. In the end, realizing how much of his life was wrapped up in the pursuit, Wile E. let him go.

I've met exactly FIVE people in my lifetime that recall that episode. :headscratch:

Terry
04-28-2016, 07:38 PM
I think the song was done out of respect for Prince's legacy and I really don't think it was about Bruce wanting any pub

I don't think he did it for publicity either, although he should still feel free not to do something similar down the line when the next rock star dies: much like I don't need the Dave Grohl seal of approval to tell me when it's okay to like any given aging rock star who jumps up onstage to jam with the Foo Fighters, I don't need the Bruce Springsteen seal of approval to tell me when it's okay to like any given dead rock star Springsteen decides to cover during one of his shows.

twonabomber
04-28-2016, 07:51 PM
Springsteen played INXS' Don't Change at one of his Australian shows last year. I think he's been throwing in covers here and there.

Satan
04-28-2016, 07:56 PM
He did Highway to Hell down there too. Bon Scott was amused by that. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d025.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3AzXGXnGcs

cadaverdog
04-28-2016, 09:26 PM
On that point, did anyone ever see the episode where the Coyote actually caught the Road Runner? It was a "clips" show, wherein the Coyote recalls all the shit he went through over the years trying to capture the Road Runner. In the end, realizing how much of his life was wrapped up in the pursuit, Wile E. let him go.

I've met exactly FIVE people in my lifetime that recall that episode. :headscratch:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soup_or_Sonic

cadaverdog
04-28-2016, 09:37 PM
I liked Floyd before I started getting high. Oddly enough, once I started, they bored me to tears. I honestly got more out of Flintstones and Warner Brothers cartoons by that time.

I got into Floyd and drugs at the same time. By my mid 20s they started boring me so bad I talked a guy out of playing The Wall at a party by convincing him half the party would nod off from boredom if he did. I got thrown out of a "The Wall" Laserium show for snoring too loud. Drank a wee bit too much Jack on the way in I guess. Still like most of the albums starting with Dark Side to Animals with a few cuts of other later albums. Got into the watching cartoon while blasting hard rock too.

DONNIEP
04-28-2016, 09:52 PM

Seen it. And it reminds me of the scene in SATB III when Sheriff Justice catches Snow Man and he hallucinates that it's the Bandit.

Satan
04-28-2016, 10:01 PM

I had no idea you were talking about a real Road Runner cartoon until c-dog posted the link. I thought you were talking about the Family Guy parody episode! http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d025.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54d21XS_GbQ

Satan
04-28-2016, 10:12 PM
Unholy shit... I think I found it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kP2piN-03k

Terry
04-28-2016, 10:32 PM
Unholy shit... I think I found it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kP2piN-03k\

I had been arguing with someone recently that I had seen the Coyote catch the Road Runner in one of the episodes when I was a kid, and they told me "that never happened, you're remembering it wrong!" They were, like, totally adamant about it.

Am glad I have this as confirmation.

Thank you, Satan.

DONNIEP
04-28-2016, 11:05 PM
Ford, no offense here, but it would be funnier if you only used the Satan alias sparingly. Kinda loses something when you do it for days on end. I know, it's a pain logging out and logging back in but trust me - sometimes less is more.

cadaverdog
04-28-2016, 11:44 PM
I could see that. You hung with yuppies who always had cash, coke and cool cars. Always had some place to go hang out with other cool cats like yourself. We called them soshes. I was a stoner. Let me re phrase that. I am a stoner.

DONNIEP
04-29-2016, 09:04 AM
I could see that. You hung with yuppies who always had cash, coke and cool cars. Always had some place to go hang out with other cool cats like yourself. We called them soshes. I was a stoner. Let me re phrase that. I am a stoner.

I always wondered how it was spelled - was it soshes or soc'es.

Nah, my friends in high school didn't have special cars. And we certainly didn't have much money lol. We did smoke some weed but we mainly drank beer.

Satan
04-29-2016, 10:15 AM
Oddly enough, in the book "The Outsiders" (which is where the word originated from, as far as I know) they spelled it "socs". So until the movie came out, I always wondered why the rich kids would be described by their footwear?

Satan
04-29-2016, 11:15 AM
Ford, no offense here, but it would be funnier if you only used the Satan alias sparingly. Kinda loses something when you do it for days on end. I know, it's a pain logging out and logging back in but trust me - sometimes less is more.

Don't worry about it... the day is soon approaching when you won't have the Devil to kick around anymore..... http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d085.gif

vandeleur
04-29-2016, 11:27 AM
Don't worry about it... the day is soon approaching when you won't have the Devil to kick around anymore..... http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d085.gif

Wow another member Donniep and his gang have scared off :biggrin:

DONNIEP
04-29-2016, 11:54 AM
Wow another member Donniep and his gang have scared off :biggrin:

No way, never. He knows I was just bustin his Bawllz :biggrin:

cadaverdog
04-29-2016, 12:22 PM
Satan. I fucked him.

DONNIEP
04-29-2016, 12:32 PM
Satan. I fucked him.

Ohhhhh!!

cadaverdog
04-29-2016, 12:50 PM
Ohhhhh!!
The Diceman cometh.

vandeleur
04-29-2016, 01:07 PM

Fuck you you rashalist , you posted personal info on Satan. You even used his real name and where he worked .
If he gets sacked it's your fault.

Fucking nazi

cadaverdog
04-29-2016, 01:25 PM
Fuck you you rashalist , you posted personal info on Satan. You even used his real name and where he worked .

Is that anything like tea bagged?

vandeleur
04-29-2016, 01:28 PM
Is that anything like tea bagged?

Trust you to be smutty when all was showing was some concern for a fellow member

DONNIEP
04-29-2016, 02:06 PM

Fucking nazi

If "Satan" leaves who am I gonna argue with? And who's gonna post the best conspiracy theories? Nah, I wouldn't want ol' Lucifer to leave. Besides, if he does leave we're gonna have to send out a rescue party when Bernie finally concedes to Hill Dawg. And I certainly can't go looking for him, what with all those reefer addicts roaming the countryside where he lives. I guess we could send Dawg, he's got a high tolerance for the doobage. And just imagine how happy and relieved Ford would be to answer the door and there's ol' Dawg :biggrin:

vandeleur
04-29-2016, 02:53 PM
I was hoping sesh was gonna draft in Elvis so him and ford can dook it out over the election . It would be fun.
And if axl and slash can make friends am sure sesh and Elvis can get the old band back together :D

DONNIEP
04-29-2016, 03:40 PM
I was hoping sesh was gonna draft in Elvis so him and ford can dook it out over the election . It would be fun.
And if axl and slash can make friends am sure sesh and Elvis can get the old band back together :D

The odds are greater that Dave will wake up tomorrow and suddenly sound like Ralph Seinz.

Satan
04-29-2016, 04:04 PM
Satan. I fucked him.

Do I look like a sock to you? http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d070.gif

cadaverdog
04-29-2016, 05:25 PM
Trust you to be smutty when all was showing was some concern for a fellow member

I got your fellow member hanging.

Seshmeister
04-30-2016, 08:50 AM

He hasn't been in touch.

Terry
04-30-2016, 11:36 AM

Yeah, because the return of Elvis is JUST what this place needs:nuts:

DONNIEP
04-30-2016, 01:07 PM
Yeah, because the return of Elvis is JUST what this place needs:nuts:

Well, we are kinda lacking in the Raving Lunatic department. I mean, now it's just down to Ford and me and Sesh when he's drunk.

vandeleur
04-30-2016, 01:15 PM
I was just saying Elvis could be back on the sauce hoeing and drinking. He could have forgotten he was a god wobbler and hated women.

Just saying :D

vandeleur
04-30-2016, 01:18 PM
Donnie is whoring or hoeing ?? What is the correct term

cadaverdog
04-30-2016, 02:05 PM
Donnie is whoring or hoeing ?? What is the correct term
Whoring and drinking is what squids do on their time off. Hoeing and drinking is what alcoholic gardeners do.

Satan
04-30-2016, 02:34 PM
But Nurse Presley isn't a squid. Though he was in the Army way back in 1958 or so....

http://www.feelnumb.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/elvis_presley_army_military_united_states.jpg

twonabomber
05-01-2016, 01:31 PM
I think there are bootlegs of the aftershow I was at in the early hours of August 29th 2007 but I haven't found it yet.

An audience recording of the August 28th O2 show is now on the Trader's Den.

Mr. Vengeance
05-06-2016, 09:59 AM
Thank fuck.

You're next, Tom Petty.

Hadn't come by in a bit. Only reason I clicked this thread was to see how long it took the useless cunt to spout her repetitive and predictable bullshit.

Six posts....stupid is bitch is slipping up.

I know she's just an attention whore looking for reaction, but it gives me an excuse to call her a useless cunt.

binnie
05-06-2016, 12:32 PM
This made me very sad. People are often surprised that I am Prince fan, but I can honestly say that I'd struggle to name a more unique talent.

vandeleur
05-10-2016, 06:01 PM
Stanley apologised for Simmons comments today .

Satan
05-10-2016, 06:12 PM
I'll probably regret asking this, but..... what exactly did Chaim say on the subject?

Seshmeister
05-10-2016, 06:22 PM
http://europe.newsweek.com/gene-simmons-reflects-bowie-and-prince-bowies-death-was-tragic-prince-killed-457851

“Bowie was the most tragic of all because it was real sickness,” Simmons tells Newsweek. “All the other ones were a choice.” Even Prince? “His drugs killed him. What do you think, he died from a cold?”

But the really funny line from the interview was

at some point my hair and teeth are gonna fall out, at some point you’ll see pathetic Gene Simmons

He sees that every morning in the mirror. :biggrin:

Satan
05-10-2016, 07:44 PM
I suspect when the whole story of Prince's death comes out, the net cause of his death will be his religious beliefs. If indeed he was on prescription drugs, due to chronic pain, which could have been lessened via surgery, but he opted out of the surgery because of the possibility that blood transfusions might have been involved.

Ironically, Jehova's Witnesses don't believe in Hell, but in the end, that belief didn't help him much either. He's still here.

Satan
05-10-2016, 07:46 PM
As far as Gene goes, I thought his actual hair fell out decades ago? Most of it, anyway.

twonabomber
05-10-2016, 07:50 PM
I suspect when the whole story of Prince's death comes out, the net cause of his death will be his religious beliefs.

I don't remember what FB page or site it was, but there was an article saying Prince didn't die of an overdose, but of chronic pain. I thought Wendy and Lisa shared it on their page but I just looked and didn't see it.

Sirius' tribute channel still going, now they've started playing cuts from the Black Album. I heard three songs from it yesterday. Still, nothing I don't already have, but fun to hear randomly pop up.

Edwards3rdWife
05-11-2016, 08:46 PM
https://youtu.be/6aI-9QGjcA4

Prince and Sheila E. burning it down

Nickdfresh
05-13-2016, 01:38 PM
http://europe.newsweek.com/gene-simmons-reflects-bowie-and-prince-bowies-death-was-tragic-prince-killed-457851

But the really funny line from the interview was

He sees that every morning in the mirror. :biggrin:

His hair has been failing for a while now...

78/84 guy
05-13-2016, 03:17 PM
This made me very sad. People are often surprised that I am Prince fan, but I can honestly say that I'd struggle to name a more unique talent.

Jimi Hendrix. He was out there, but not the arrogant little prick Prince was.

twonabomber
05-13-2016, 04:11 PM
Hendrix didn't live long enough for his arrogant prickiness to come out.

Seshmeister
05-13-2016, 08:35 PM
Jimi Hendrix. He was out there, but not the arrogant little prick Prince was.

It's a bit troubling when you realize that most rockstars are cunts and that's probably why they got the job.

Fortunately you usually only get that when you are a bit older and have moved on from fan(atic) to just enjoying the work.

Do you care more about whether your heart surgeon is a prick at home or if he is good at his job?

Terry
05-13-2016, 11:03 PM
It's a bit troubling when you realize that most rockstars are cunts and that's probably why they got the job.

Fortunately you usually only get that when you are a bit older and have moved on from fan(atic) to just enjoying the work.

Do you care more about whether your heart surgeon is a prick at home or if he is good at his job?

I think you hit the nail on the head in terms of getting older and moving on from fan/fanatic/idol worship to realizing these rock stars are just people playing music, and even when the music is exceptional, those playing it in the end are still just people.

Some one once wrote that celebrity worship in America is something along the lines of the "see the living crocodile!" syndrome, where the general public seemingly doesn't think that celebrities do normal things like go to the bathroom, or have bad days, or have problems like non-celebrities/"regular people" do.

I mean, personally, I don't even want to KNOW what my heart surgeon does at home (or what his political/religious/sexual beliefs are) as long as he is competent when he has me opened up on the operating table. Prince seemingly lived a life that was admittedly not once I have lived, but it's not surprising to have seen himself self-cocooned and surrounded by a bunch of people who never said the word "no" to him because he was paying their salaries. Such was his charisma, I guess. I suppose so many people treated Prince like he was god-like for so long that he seemingly started buying into that hype himself. He wouldn't be the first celebrity to fall for their own hype, probably won't be the last.

Seshmeister
05-14-2016, 06:58 PM
Also kind of problematic when you are running the fan site... :D

jacksmar
05-14-2016, 07:02 PM
As far as Gene goes, I thought his actual hair fell out decades ago? Most of it, anyway.

so? you really want to bring up hair loss on a dave site?

Nickdfresh
05-15-2016, 08:15 AM
Yeah, cause we never talk about that...

jacksmar
05-15-2016, 11:06 AM
nikki, you poor little man. Is sam the sham Hagar's hair real?

so according to you, gene and dave aren't real musicians or rock stars because they've altered their hair and sam hagar still has his hair making him a rock star.

and if your pathetic complacent answer is it doesn't matter then why did you bring it up?

Nickdfresh
05-15-2016, 12:01 PM
nikki, you poor little man. Is sam the sham Hagar's hair real?

Who gives a fuck?

so according to you, gene and dave aren't real musicians or rock stars because they've altered their hair and sam hagar still has his hair making him a rock star.

and if your pathetic complacent answer is it doesn't matter then why did you bring it up?

Um, did you actually read what I wrote, thick one?

trudy
05-16-2016, 01:55 AM
I'm wondering what's the connection of hair and being a rockstar or musician.

Nickdfresh
05-16-2016, 05:49 PM
I'm wondering what's the connection of hair and being a rockstar or musician.

There isn't, he's just a drunken moron grasping at flaming straws...

Diamondjimi
05-18-2016, 06:35 PM

.....Frank Zappa ;)

Seshmeister
05-19-2016, 10:15 AM

vandeleur
05-19-2016, 12:30 PM
That guy has a lot of spare time

Nitro Express
05-19-2016, 01:46 PM
I loved Prince's guitar playing. The man had some tasty chops. Who knows if he was a prick or not. He seemed very shy. Saw him live once at the Tacoma Dome. Put on a pretty good live show.

Igosplut
05-20-2016, 09:24 PM

HA!

People (or fans) love to cut the head off their favorite rockstar when they disappoint. Whether in death, or old age. None of it is real in at least the way most fans view their idols.

Satan
06-02-2016, 08:15 PM
Well, it seems that the toxicology report has been released, and that the cause of death was a Fentanyl overdose. Most likely this was also the cause of the earlier episode where his plane had to make an emergency landing.

I wasn't aware you could even get Fentanyl at the corner pharmacy. Thought that was strictly a "hospital only, under strict medical supervision" kind of drug. I suspect somebody's going to be arrested for this one....

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/princes-cause-of-death-opioid-overdose-20160602

Seshmeister
06-02-2016, 09:29 PM
Kevin Smith tells the story that Prince's manager said she got a phone call at 3am from Paisley Park asking her to get him a camel.

I guess he started on prescription opiates and worked his way up.

Looks like this stuff is the king of them all - five to fifteen times more potent than heroin.

DavidLeeNatra
06-04-2016, 12:31 AM
So Gene can take back his apologies now?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G850F mit Tapatalk

Von Halen
06-04-2016, 10:33 AM
I thought Prince was perfect? What? He OD'd?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!

Angel
06-04-2016, 11:34 AM
I thought Prince was perfect? What? He OD'd?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!
You are such a cunt...

:p

Jérôme Frenchise
06-04-2016, 01:43 PM
Well, it seems that the toxicology report has been released, and that the cause of death was a Fentanyl overdose. Most likely this was also the cause of the earlier episode where his plane had to make an emergency landing.

I wasn't aware you could even get Fentanyl at the corner pharmacy. Thought that was strictly a "hospital only, under strict medical supervision" kind of drug. I suspect somebody's going to be arrested for this one....

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/princes-cause-of-death-opioid-overdose-20160602

Faintonull is said to be 80 times as powerful as morphine as an painkiller. It's closely controlled in most countries and considered as narcotic.

DONNIEP
06-04-2016, 01:54 PM
Faintonull is said to be 80 times as powerful as morphine as an painkiller. It's closely controlled in most countries and considered as narcotic.

Yeah and I'd bet Prince had more than one doctor prescribing it. Which probably ain't gonna end well for him/her either.

FORD
06-04-2016, 02:37 PM
Apparently the prescription was written in somebody else's name. They haven't said whose name yet

Prince was known for using aliases in his professional career, usually to avoid legal hassles with Warner Brothers, when he was working with other artists (often signed to other labels). So it's certainly within the realm of possibility that he would have made up an alias for prescription drugs, considering everybody who worked at the local pharmacy would know damn well who "Prince Rogers Nelson" or "Prince Nelson" or even "Roger Nelson" was, if those names had turned up on a prescription label.

Or it could be the doctor who wrote the prescription in his own name. I would think a drug as powerful as Fentanyl would be even harder to get than the typical prescription pain pills. I honestly didn't even think you could get it outside of a hospital before now.

cadaverdog
06-04-2016, 05:18 PM
I would think a drug as powerful as Fentanyl would be even harder to get than the typical prescription pain pills. I honestly didn't even think you could get it outside of a hospital before now.
You left out the possibility someone stole the drugs from a hospital that were there for a current patient. But you'd think they'd have the sense to put them in another container or at least get rid of the label before selling them so they couldn't be traced back to the source so easily.

Whorehey
06-04-2016, 09:30 PM
I have a buddy who was prescribed Fentanyl in a patch after a partial foot amputation (diabetes). I tried it. Once. Wasn't for me. Too much dope. And I cut the fucker in half...

DONNIEP
06-04-2016, 09:46 PM
Whorehey is right - Fentanyl is prescribed for conditions other than cancer and can be purchased at a pharmacy. In my line of work I have three insurers who are currently using the patch for things unrelated to cancer, which is the most common use. One is using it due to pain from injuries in a car accident, one for a serious knee condition, and the other is some sort of hip condition, coincidentally. And since I'm talking about people who use their health insurance to purchase it, a medical necessity review has to be done before their plans will cover it. However, it would be extremely unlikely any relatively healthy person who is obviously ambulatory and can perform frigggin marathon concerts that last until three in the morning would be prescribed this medication. Ever. If you're in the kind of pain this stuff is used to treat - you ain't dancing the nite away. So whoever was writing the prescriptions was waaay off the reservation. And I'm not aware of ANY off label use for this medication so it's not like it would be prescribed for anything other than debilitating pain.

Whorehey
06-04-2016, 10:32 PM
Whorehey is right - Fentanyl is prescribed for conditions other than cancer and can be purchased at a pharmacy. In my line of work I have three insurers who are currently using the patch for things unrelated to cancer, which is the most common use. One is using it due to pain from injuries in a car accident, one for a serious knee condition, and the other is some sort of hip condition, coincidentally. And since I'm talking about people who use their health insurance to purchase it, a medical necessity review has to be done before their plans will cover it. However, it would be extremely unlikely any relatively healthy person who is obviously ambulatory and can perform frigggin marathon concerts that last until three in the morning would be prescribed this medication. Ever. If you're in the kind of pain this stuff is used to treat - you ain't dancing the nite away. So whoever was writing the prescriptions was waaay off the reservation. And I'm not aware of ANY off label use for this medication so it's not like it would be prescribed for anything other than debilitating pain.

That's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me on this site...

DONNIEP
06-04-2016, 11:05 PM
That's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me on this site...

What? That you're right? Lol, post more :biggrin: