PDA

View Full Version : I Just Got My First Auto-Erection in Years!

Nickdfresh
05-22-2016, 07:52 AM
From Road & Track (https://www.yahoo.com/news/2017-jeep-wrangler-pickup-everything-155905431.html?nhp=1)

Jeep hasn't sold a pickup truck since 1992, when the XJ Cherokee-based Comanche went out of production, but it's teased us many times since. Now, we know that a Wrangler pickup is on its way, and it's high on our list of cars we can't wait to drive. To say we're excited for the Wrangler pickup would be an understatement, so let's round up everything we think we know about it.

It's Actually, Finally, Really, Seriously Happening

View photos
Jeep arguably started the Wrangler pickup fever in 2005 with its Gladiator Concept (pictured above), but it never reached production. A handful of concepts since only served to whet our collective appetite further, but they remained concepts.

Finally–finally!–Fiat Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne confirmed earlier this year that Jeep will offer a pickup version of the next Wrangler.

It's Coming Late Next Year

In an interview with The Detroit News at this year's Detroit Auto Show, Jeep CEO Mike Manley confirmed that the Wrangler Pickup will come late next year, following the arrival of the next-generation Wrangler.

"Sergio and I work very, very closely on the Jeep product portfolio, and both of us have been a fan of a potential Wrangler pickup," said Manely in an interview with The Detroit News. "For me, there is a historical place in our lineup for it. "

It's Been Rumored for Production for a While Now

We first heard rumblings of a pickup based on the next-generation Wrangler in September of last year. Of course, people have been clamoring for it for a much longer time.

It'll Be Based on the New Wrangler Platform

Jeep will continue building the current-generation Wrangler until March 2018, but production of the new Wrangler starts late next year. Jeep hasn't revealed too many specifics on the next Wrangler, but we have a decent idea of what it'll be like.

It's supposed to retain its classic body-on-frame construction, but it might get a new aluminum-intensive body. Like Ford with the current F-150, switching to lightweight aluminum construction could help fuel economy, never a strong suit with the Wrangler. Diesel and hybrid Wranglers are also rumored, but yet to be confirmed.

It'll be Built in Toledo, Ohio

Like the current Wrangler, the Wrangler Pickup will be built in Toledo, Ohio alongside the non-pickup truck version.

It Probably Won't Have a Hellcat Engine

Yes, Jeep built a heavily modified Wrangler with a 707-horse supercharged V8 from the Hellcat earlier this year , but it's just a one-off fever dream. Don't fret though, because if you want a Hellcat motor and a seven-slat grille, the Grand Cherokee SRT Hellcat is coming next year.

It Might Get a 300-HP Turbo Four-Cylinder, Though

In an effort to improve fuel economy in the notoriously inefficient Wrangler, Jeep is said to be developing a new 300-horsepower turbocharged inline-four cylinder codenamed "Hurricane." The 3.8-liter Pentastar V6 used in the current Wrangler makes 285 horsepower, and the new turbo-four could be optional. Spy photos obtained by The Truth About Cars appear to show a four-cylinder under the hood of a Wrangler prototype.

It'll Sell Like Crazy

Americans love pickup trucks, and Americans love Jeeps. Sergio Marchionne knows this, so building a Wrangler Pickup is a complete and total no brainer. It'll also be wildly different than every other pickup currently on sale, which should help it further.

Sarge
05-22-2016, 12:32 PM
I wonder if it will look like the 11 year old concept above?

twonabomber
05-22-2016, 05:11 PM
The red concept isn't that old. The old one was the green "Gladiator" extended cab. It still shows up at car shows but it's been repainted yellow.

I don't know if I'd buy a Wrangler based pickup. I still have my 30 year old J20 with a usable 8 foot bed.

Kristy
05-22-2016, 06:18 PM
Wow. Just...wow, Niki Wiki. A Half Chinese/Mexican manufactured pile of shit.

twonabomber
05-23-2016, 07:03 AM
This was posted on jlwranglerforums.com. Current Wrangler body code is JK, the next will be JL.

Thanks to our dealer source, here are the official dates and some confirmed features (so far) for the JL Wrangler.

July-August 2017: 2018 Wrangler Order Banks Open
September 2017: 2018 Wrangler Production Begins
September 1, 2017: 2018 Wrangler Press Launch
Early 2018: 2018 Wrangler Pickup (JP) Production Begins
Summer 2018: 2018 Model Year Production Ends

New Features (for North America):

New ZF 8 Speed Transmission
2.0L "Hurricane" Turbo Engine (with new 850RE transmission) (visual confirmation)
3.0L VM Diesel Engine (with new 8HP75 transmission)
3.6L Pentastar V6 Upgraded Engine (with new 850RE transmission)
New fourth-generation Uconnect 8.4" navigation system with Apple Carplay and Android Auto
Interchangeable soft / hard top
Power softtop
True 3-piece hardtop
Optional hardtop glass panel

I don't know how much of this is true. They will probably show a new Wrangler concept at the Detroit show in January, or maybe at the NY show.

I know Cherokee is moving out of Toledo and the Toledo North and South plants will only build Wranglers. Cherokee is unibody, so that plant will have to be converted to body on frame. The current Wrangler plant can only build a vehicle around the length of the current Wrangler Unlimited, due to a couple tight turns in the assembly line. There's speculation that the current Cherokee plant will build the Wrangler truck. The city of Toledo also bought a lot of adjacent land to the current plants and could offer it to FCA to ensure production stays in Toledo.

Early rumors were that Wrangler was going to go to an aluminum tub and fenders, and that FCA would have to build a separate body shop to handle the aluminum work. The extra land could have gone toward the aluminum body shop. First FCA said no aluminum, and then that Wrangler would stay solid front axle instead of going independent front like lesser Jeeps.

There's a Jeep 75th anniversary celebration in Toledo in August. Local offroad club I belong to is attending. I will be tearing my Wrangler apart in July and I don't think I'll be done by the party so I'll take my Cherokee.