PDA

View Full Version : Rhythm Tracks

YankeeRose
01-15-2004, 11:56 PM
I'm lookin' for some rhythm tracks that I can put on CD for a friend who is a guitarist in training....Any of y'all know where I can find some for download?

Eyes of the Night
01-16-2004, 12:24 AM
As in rock songs or exercises there baby doll? ...

:bong:

YankeeRose
01-16-2004, 10:43 AM
as in rock songs he can play along with...

Eyes of the Night
01-16-2004, 05:48 PM
Wella, then I guess it depends on what he's into ... so do you want tablature to these songs or just the songs themselves? I'm confused ...

Look under "guitar tab" in your search ... usually that will bring up pages for you to choose what band name and each song ...

YankeeRose
01-16-2004, 11:28 PM
I know how to find MP3's and tabs and chords and such...remember The Ol' Man is a musician. I'm looking for rhythm tracks that I can download and listen to like a song...so Bubba can play along with them, but rewind etc at will.

lucky wilbury
01-17-2004, 04:12 PM
amazon.com as well as many music stores have those books that come with a cd and tab that have the main guitar removed from them. look at amazon.com under wolf marshall for those types of books.

YankeeRose
01-17-2004, 11:05 PM
I'll try that, but I'd still like to be able to download and burn them like songs.

Mr Badguy
01-18-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by lucky wilbury
amazon.com as well as many music stores have those books that come with a cd and tab that have the main guitar removed from them. look at amazon.com under wolf marshall for those types of books.

Those kind of books will set you back about $40.

I`m not sure if you can download them.

Most guitar magazines now carry a free CD with lessons and backing tracks on them.

They`re usually a mixed bag but you occasionaly get a real good one.

Panamark
02-02-2004, 05:11 AM
I know this is a little from left field, but have you considered a vocal canceller ? A lot of the Karaoke dudes used to use them. It only works if the vocals were recorded in stereo, the device cancels the two channels of vocals against themself, theoretically leaving just the music behind. Havent tried one myself, but I have seen software somewhere that is meant to do this. (Or was I just trippin ?) If such a device worked, you could select your own backing tracks..

(Or tell him to do what we all do, just play along with the originals. ;) )

ACTUALLY ! A great program that he can download is "Amazing Slow Downer" at http://www.ronimusic.com/

This allows you to slow down CD's to any speed without changing the pitch. A great learning aid... I think the trial version has some restrictions but its not that expensive to register. (I think it allows you to play the first two tracks off a CD) You could always just burn the two songs you want to learn to CD/RW :D (If you wanted to be cheap on the registration)

Panamark
02-02-2004, 05:16 AM
Actually you could look at cheap Karaoke CD's too..

ELVIS
02-02-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Panamark

ACTUALLY ! A great program that he can download is "Amazing Slow Downer" at http://www.ronimusic.com/

This allows you to slow down CD's to any speed without changing the pitch. A great learning aid... I think the trial version has some restrictions but its not that expensive to register. (I think it allows you to play the first two tracks off a CD) You could always just burn the two songs you want to learn to CD/RW :D (If you wanted to be cheap on the registration)

Originally posted by Panamark
I know this is a little from left field, but have you considered a vocal canceller ? A lot of the Karaoke dudes used to use them. It only works if the vocals were recorded in stereo, the device cancels the two channels of vocals against themself, theoretically leaving just the music behind. Havent tried one myself, but I have seen software somewhere that is meant to do this. (Or was I just trippin ?) If such a device worked, you could select your own backing tracks..

This allows you to slow down CD's to any speed without changing the pitch.

Windows media player 9 has that function...

All I know to do is play along with the originals too...

Start with 'Iron Man' or something simple...

My first song was 'Train Kept a Rollin''.. I played it everyday forever...:)

ELVIS
02-02-2004, 08:25 AM
Why did that come out like that ??

Panamark
02-03-2004, 12:50 AM
Hey Cool about Windows media player 9. That means you can get it all for free. Does it allow looping of sections and slowing down without pitch change ??

ELVIS
02-03-2004, 06:55 AM
Yes...

siN
02-03-2004, 02:19 PM
Complete VH backing tracks (without the lead-guitar) can be found at http://www.vhfans.com

:cheers:

Panamark
02-03-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Yes...

Cool ! You just saved me some money. I was thinking of registering the other proggie..

Panamark
02-03-2004, 09:33 PM
Sin are the backing tracks just Bass and Drums ?
(Non-midi ??)

YankeeRose
02-03-2004, 10:45 PM
Thanx siN....:)

jabrow75
02-04-2004, 10:24 PM
If you have the original CD's (Not the remastered Versions), you can download a trail version of Sony Sound Forge 7.0 from CNet and pull the rhythm tracks off that way too.

When you open the songs in Sound Forge it will be divided in to two tracks, copy the bottom track and paste it to a new file. It will automatically copy into the new files as two tracks. That will rid you of most of the guitars ('cept for a few over dubs and solos here and there) and leave you with the Bass, Drums and Vocals. Once you have the new file, go into the Channel Converter (under the Process menu) and select "Stereo to Stereo - Pan Center, use both channels (100%)" just to boost the sound up a little.
Save it as an MP3 fle and burn to CD.

Panamark
02-05-2004, 01:42 AM
Hey Jabrow that sounds interesting !

*Warning* I checked out some of those backing tracks at VH Fans. Some are not the correct timing. Two I tried, Metallica's Master of Puppets and Seek and Destroy. Seek and Destroy in Particular was way out in the main verse timing. Master of Puppets was way too fast and had sections where they played extra bars where there should not be extra bars.

Having said that, there are some there that are reasonably
accurate.

Im having fun with them, even with the inaccuracies..

jabrow75
02-05-2004, 09:31 AM
When you open the songs in Sound Forge it will be divided in to two tracks
Oooops, I meant to say Channels instead of Tracks. Anyway, it's basically the same effect as switching off your left speaker on your stereo, or is it the right...?!@ because they were originally recorded with the rhythm track on the right channel and guitars on the left. Of course they fixed that with the Remasters.

ELVIS
02-05-2004, 06:15 PM
What do you mean "fixed" ??

jabrow75
02-05-2004, 10:53 PM
What do you mean "fixed" ??

From what I have read in previous articles...
When the Original VH albums were recorded (up to about OU812/
F.U.C.K I think, If I remember correctly), the songs were recorded with the rhythm tracks (Bass, Drums and Vocals) coming through the right channel (i.e. Speaker) and the Guitars were on the left channel. Therefore, if you turn the balance on your stereo all of the way to the right (shutting out the left speaker) you will drown out the guitars, with the exception of a few overdubs here and there. When you do the opposite, you drown out the drums and Bass. Yes, can still hear them, but very faintly. And actually, I think that the vocals were spread across both channels. There are several albums that were recorded this way, not just Van Halen. I guess it was a cheap way of getting a "Stereo" effect... I am by no means a music expert mind you!!!
Anyway, when Balance was released there was an EVH interview in one of the Guitar mags (sorry don't remember which one, but I may still have it around somewhere). He was talking about the recording process and about how much he disliked the finished products of the earlier albums because of that. He went on to say that this was changed (for them) with the Balance CD in that all tracks were spread evenly throughout both channels, both right and left. This was also done with the remasters, although you can still use the balance to drown out on some of the "remastered" songs, it does not stand out as much as it did with the original recordings. I vaguely remember reading another article about the remastered CD's where EVH said that the intent of issueing the remasters was to "fix" the older recording process and hence go back and spread the tracks out across both tracks to improve the sound and get more of a true Stereo sound.
As I said, I am by no means a music expert, so I hope that this makes sense.

YankeeRose
02-06-2004, 11:49 PM
This is very interesting...I just might try this..doesn't sound to "out of myb league". So, if I get this right, I go to CNet and download this program....can ya gimme a link?

ELVIS
02-07-2004, 07:52 AM
Hmmm...

Well I do consider myself somewhat of a music expert and I am very familiar with most of what you are saying...

I remember the article you are talking about and Edward's comments criticizing the recording of the first six and only real =VH= albums...

Well Edward is full of shit.. The guitar being panned mostly to the right channel sounds AWESOME and was done ON PURPOSE by the producer who knew what he was doing...

It's not a "cheap" stereo effect...

Also.. there is no difference from the original and the remasters...

They were remastered.. not remixed.. the guitar is in the same sweet spot it has always been...

:elvis:

Panamark
02-07-2004, 10:13 AM
Elvis, I just downloaded Media Player 9. Cant fucken find the CD slow downer shit. Are you running XP by any chance ?? (I notice there was a different version for XP) Ive still got Win98SE...

ELVIS
02-07-2004, 11:01 AM
XP Pro...:D

ELVIS
02-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Sorry.. I wasn't thinking...

jabrow75
02-07-2004, 07:34 PM
This is very interesting...I just might try this..doesn't sound to "out of myb league". So, if I get this right, I go to CNet and download this program....can ya gimme a link?

Here's the Link: Sound Forge 7 (http://download.com.com/3000-2170-10228786.html?tag=lst-0-1)
It's about 33Mb's. After that, just follow the intructions I gave before. ***I stand corrected, this will work on the remasters, thx Elvis for clarifying.*** Sorry for any misrepresentation on my part. :stupid: I was not quoting, only going by what I remembered from the article I read years ago. I haven't had a chance to look up the mags, but I know I got em somewhere. I do not have the remasters myself, I have the original CD's, I haven't yet found the need to go out and re-buy the same CD's just because they are remastered. The originals sound just fine to me, although Fair Warning just got a bad scratch right through "Sunday Afternoon in the Park" and "One Foot out the Door" so I might have to break down and do some replacing soon.

I did find this bit from the old VHND regarding Remastered v. Remixed
http://65.200.23.221/archive/0900.shtml

YankeeRose
02-08-2004, 01:03 AM
thanx jb....:)

ELVIS
02-08-2004, 03:26 AM
The remasters do sound alot better though.. They are louder and fuller with more bottom end.. They are worth the $11.93 Wal Mart is asking for them...:)

jabrow75
02-08-2004, 03:12 PM
I can get them through BMG Music for $4.99 No shipping/handleing. I somehow managed to keep my account open with them long enough to get into there Music Advantage Club. Now I get Unlimited CD's at that price with no Shipping/ Handling. So whenever I can get around to it I may just replace them all.