PDA

View Full Version : British parents are still allowed to whip little butts

BigBadBrian
07-05-2004, 08:31 PM
British Reject Ban on Spanking of Kids

Monday July 5, 2004 8:31 PM

By ED JOHNSON

Associated Press Writer

LONDON (AP) - British lawmakers on Monday voted against a ban on parents spanking their children, and decided instead to tighten existing rules.

After a three-hour debate in the House of Lords, peers rejected the ban by 250 votes to 75.

Instead, they voted by 226-91 to allow moderate spanking, but make it easier to prosecute parents who physically or mentally abuse their children by spanking.

The amendment must be approved by lawmakers in Parliament's lower chamber, the House of Commons, before becoming law.

Britain is out of step on the issue with several European countries, including Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark and Austria, where all physical punishment of children is illegal.

Pressure groups insist children must have the same legal protection from being hit as adults and had called for the law to be changed. Prime Minister Tony Blair's government has repeatedly shied away from a ban, fearing it will be accused of intruding into family affairs.

The current law dates back to a case in 1860, when a judge ruled that physical punishment of children should be allowed as a ``reasonable chastisement.''

Campaigners argue that ruling is ambiguous and two parliamentary committees have said it is too often used as a legal defense to excuse violent behavior that goes far beyond a spanking.

In the House of Lords on Monday, Liberal Democrat peer Lord Lester successfully proposed a measure to allow moderate spanking, but remove the ``reasonable chastisement'' defense if parents harmed a child physically or mentally. If the amendment is also approved by the Commons, the new law will make it easier for authorities to prosecute violent parents.

Several peers called for an outright ban.

``Smacking can lead to battering which can lead to death,'' said Liberal Democrat peer Lord Thomas. ``We are presented with medical reports, social service records, school records and one can see the route to death which starts with the initial smack.''

Independent peer Lord Ackner disagreed. ``I think we are overlooking that parents have a unique relationship with their children and in order to fulfill their parental responsibilities they have powers which they don't posses in relation to anyone else,'' he said.

Attorney General Lord Goldsmith backed Lester's measure and said it would ``have the effect of preventing harm to children without criminalizing parents for minor disciplinary steps.''

Blair's government ordered its Labour peers to vote against a ban, but allowed them a free vote on Lester's amendment.

``The government wants an outcome that maintains the balance between the parent's right to discipline and protecting the child,'' said Blair's official spokesman. ``That is why we don't want to criminalize parents. That is why we are opposed to outright bans.''

Seshmeister
07-06-2004, 06:41 AM
Actually English parents.

Scottish law was changed a couple of years back...

scorpioboy33
09-19-2004, 01:09 AM
i really never wanna hit my daughter...

madraoul
09-19-2004, 01:18 AM
Is this an attempt to widen the distribution of Ritilan? Just a question. My kid is 15 and I haven't had to hit him once.

freak
09-19-2004, 02:16 AM
The only time I recall being hit as a child was as a 15 year old who came home drunk and told his barrel chested steamfitter grandfather who had just happened to be there visiting "Get out of my way, old man".

I found myself clear down at the bottom of the steps with a cut over my left eye and a badly swollen face.

ELVIS
09-19-2004, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by scorpioboy33
i really never wanna hit my daughter...

Wait til she gets caught fucking two guys and a girl on camera after stealing your credit card and crashing your car while doing crystal meth...

scorpioboy33
09-19-2004, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Wait til she gets caught fucking two guys and a girl on camera after stealing your credit card and crashing your car while doing crystal meth...

try to treat people like you with some respect..and all you get is creepy nasty bullshit remarks...to bad man...i thought you were ok

ELVIS
09-19-2004, 02:32 AM
I was just kidding.. in a way...

Like the above never happens ??

C'mon dude!

Shit happens!

Good parenting can do a world of wonders...

scorpioboy33
09-19-2004, 02:43 AM
whatever...hopeful I don't have to deal with it :)...sorry I get a little defensive about her...she's only 2....:)

lms2
09-19-2004, 02:53 AM
Discipline does not have to mean spanking, and spanking does not necessarily mean discipline.

You guys are bitchy tonight.

ELVIS
09-19-2004, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by scorpioboy33
whatever...hopeful I don't have to deal with it :)...sorry I get a little defensive about her...she's only 2....:)

Stay that way and you both will be ok...

:elvis:

lms2
09-19-2004, 03:07 AM
Respect is a two way street, one you can teach by example, but when they are very little they also need to learn to cross that street VERY carefully.

Location could have something to do with your views...

Some American children are very disrespectful...

I can't say about Canadian values, as I have yet to visit there.

Ally_Kat
09-19-2004, 10:58 AM
I was spanked and I turned out alright. My cousin refuses to spank her kids and the oldest is a spoiled brat who goes around thinking she's better than the rest of the family. Keeps telling us all to shut up because we don't know what we're talking about. If my kid ever did that, over my knee they would go.

UGS
06-28-2005, 10:19 PM
I have no problem with spanking kids. Try all the rewards or punishments you want, no lesson taught to a bratty six year old is better remembered than when finished off with a stinging red ass.

UGS
06-28-2005, 10:21 PM
Oh shit, didn't realize how old this was. . .sorry guys. . .just saw it after looking at Rikk's Whippy Whip thread

The Scatologist
06-28-2005, 11:15 PM
I'm all for spanking myself.

I know so many kids that I went to school with that shoulda been smacked by their parents but their parents think it's wrong so....

WHAT DA YA KNOW! They ended up being total spoiled fucktards!

I'm glad that my dad and mom use to hit me when I did something that deserved it.

No I really do.

One of the saddest things these days are kids ending up being totally spoiled and fucked up just because their parents wanted to be politically correct.

Of course, i'm not for a down right BEATING, or anything that could seriously hurt a kid. But sometimes, you just have to smack them in the face for them to get the point.

UGS
06-29-2005, 12:02 AM
Exactly, there's a difference between discipline and abuse; and spanking and beating

Redballjets88
06-29-2005, 12:08 AM
yeah...i think its not a bad thing...some kids listen to the verbal stuff but others dont. but like i would do what my dad always did i would get spanked and then after i cried for awhile he would come say sorry and re-tell me that what i did was bad. plus its always fun to talk about what you had been beat with to people and compare stories...my worst is a wire hanger lol just bc i pissed my dad off so much and he happened to have it in his hand....hurt like bitch but w/e....at least it wasnt like i was being abused every single day.