PDA

View Full Version : The Making of Aliens

Seshmeister
08-03-2016, 11:54 AM

Terry
08-06-2016, 11:02 PM
Aliens was a solid follow-up to the first movie. When thinking of a series of movies in a franchise, usually the first film in a series is really the only one worth a damn and the rest are significantly lesser. Aliens was a good film and wasn't merely a lesser imitation of Alien. I seem to remember someone saying in terms of style if Alien was the haunted house, then Aliens was the roller coaster, and I think that's true.

Granted, James Cameron and Ridley Scott are obviously different directors. In terms of cinematography and those images having a lasting impact in my memory, Ridley Scott's work is superior to Cameron's. However, Cameron knows how to film action sequences well.

Seshmeister
08-07-2016, 09:04 PM
I was going to say that Ridley Scott has made his fair share of turkeys over the years but actually when you look at his 25 or whatever it is movies, there are only a few that don't have some merit. I've still to see Prometheus I heard so many bad things about it when it came out I never got around to it. The next one is due out quite soon I think...

Terry
08-07-2016, 09:34 PM
Yeah, Scott has actually made very few movies that I'd classify as turkeys. Even the lesser known ones usually have something going for them. I would say his track record of the last decade or so is more spotty than what he did prior to, say, Gladiator or thereabouts.

It's probably difficult for him to find material these days that he feels passionate about filming in terms of story content, considering so much of what gets into the theaters these days is either animated children's movies or mindless action flicks. And I wouldn't really WANT to see him directing something like a new Godzilla movie or Finding Nemo Part 4: tripe like that would be a waste of his talents.

FORD
08-08-2016, 12:17 AM
Ridley Scott seems to be working more in the "small screen" environment these days, though he is sticking with the odd subject matter. He worked on the Amazon streaming series "The Man in the High Castle" (based in an alternative timeline in occupied USA after Germany & Japan won WWII) and his latest project "Brain Dead", a story about alien bugs eating brains in Washington DC (and presumably to blame for the current fucked up political climate)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZQW4-L9tp8

vandeleur
08-08-2016, 06:26 AM
I thought he was up to his nuts nuts in Alien covenant that comes out next year.
He stopped Neil blompkamp making his alien so it didn't get in the way of his.

vandeleur
08-08-2016, 06:29 AM
I was going to say that Ridley Scott has made his fair share of turkeys over the years but actually when you look at his 25 or whatever it is movies, there are only a few that don't have some merit. I've still to see Prometheus I heard so many bad things about it when it came out I never got around to it. The next one is due out quite soon I think...

I caught Prometheus again recently ... It was all over the place. Part alien reimagining, part ancient aliens hokum.
Tho again the robot steals it , fasbenders android was pretty cool.