PDA

View Full Version : Rock Hall 2017: ELO, Journey, Pearl Jam, Tupac Shakur, Joan Baez, and Yes

twonabomber
12-20-2016, 07:56 PM
Sure, Journey sold a lot of records, but are they influential?

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Joan Baez is one of five first-time nominees who will be going into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame as part of the Class of 2017.

Eligible since the inaugural class was inducted in 1986 induction, the folk singer, activist and peer (and former lover) of inductee Bob Dylan is the biggest surprise in a group that will include Electric Light Orchestra, Journey, Pearl Jam, Tupac Shakur and Yes in the performer category, and Chic's Nile Rodgers in the non-performer award for musical excellence slot.

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Foundation CEO Joel Peresman on satellite radio station Sirius XM - a Rock Hall and induction ceremony sponsor - at 8 a.m. Tuesday, Dec. 20.

Eddie Vedder's Pearl Jam and Shakur both are going into the Rock Hall in their first year of eligibility, and their induction was pretty much expected, though the late rapper's enshrinement is likely to bring out the usual catcalls against hip-hop artists being installed in the Rock Hall.

Jeff Lynne's ELO, eligible since 1996, and Journey, which qualified for induction in 2000, are the other first-time nominees who will be enshrined in ceremonies at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York, on Friday, April 7.

Four of the inductees - Journey, ELO, Pearl Jam and Yes - finished in the top five in the Rock Hall's online fan balloting. Yes, the groundbreaking British prog-rock group, actually won the balloting last year, but was omitted from the inductees.

Rodgers is the face and brains behind the groove-creating disco-era band Chic, which itself was nominated for a record 11th time, but failed to gain entry.

Also missing the cut were Bad Brains, Chaka Khan, Depeche Mode, Jane's Addiction, Janet Jackson, the J. Geils Band, Joe Tex, Kraftwerk, MC5, Steppenwolf, the Cars and the Zombies.

Bad Brains, Depeche Mode and Steppenwolf also were first-time nominees.

The Rock Hall will announce the on-sale date and prices for tickets to the induction ceremony in January. At that time, the institution also will reveal prices for the simulcast that will be aired at the Rock Hall itself.

Rock Hall members - those who are currently members or who sign up before Dec. 31, 2016 - will be able to get tickets in advance of the public on-sale date. Information about those presales will be announced at a later date, the Rock Hall said.

Artists and bands become eligible for the Rock Hall 25 years after their first recording is released. A 29-member nominating committee that is chaired by public relations veteran Jon Landau and includes the Rock Hall's president and CEO, Greg Harris, chose the nominees. Among the others are Hall of Famers Steven Van Zandt of the E Street Band and Robbie Robertson of the Band.

The final choices were made by about 900 voters in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Foundation, including all living Rock Hall inductees and industry insiders, among them a few current and former music journalists.

twonabomber
12-20-2016, 08:04 PM
I figured Depeche Mode would have gotten in. They have a new album coming out next year, and the Rock Hall loves inductees with something new to promote.

Tupac? meh.

Yes inductees will be Jon Anderson, Bill Bruford, Steve Howe, Trevor Rabin, Chris Squire, Rick Wakeman, Alan White, and Tony Kaye. Trevor Horn was only on one album (Drama) and that must not count.

Journey: Jonathan Cain, Aynsley Dunbar, Steve Perry, Gregg Rolie, Neal Schon, Steve Smith, and Ross Valory. Cain had said he wanted his scab singer to be inducted, and the first thing I thought of was Simmons and Stanley calling for the induction of Thayer and Singer.

Pearl Jam: Jeff Ament, Matt Cameron, Stone Gossard, Dave Krusen, Mike McCready, and Eddie Vedder.

Glad to see Nile Rodgers get in for his production work.

I doubt the HBO telecast will be a ratings winner. I think we get the show here in 2018.

FORD
12-20-2016, 08:08 PM
Figures that pussy Cain would get inducted with Journey, even though he's the one who ruined the band. I'd really like to see Gregg Rolie punch him right in the face on stage.

And if they can't perform live with Perry & Rolie in the band, then they shouldn't bother playing at all. Same with Yes, if they try to keep Jon Anderson off the stage.

Looks like Pearl Jam will be the only band nominated where the guys on stage are the same ones who played on most of the records. The only thing they ever changed was drummers, and ironically only found a "full time" drummer after Soundgarden broke up. (As far as I know, Matt still plays with both bands now that SG is back together).

Incidentally, Soundgarden should have been eligible before Pearl Jam. Their first record came out in 1987.

FORD
12-20-2016, 08:17 PM
And is ELO even considered a band, or was this just a way for the music "establishment" to get Jeff Lynne inducted, since they all seem to love him so much?

BITEYOASS
12-20-2016, 08:29 PM
No Motorhead?!?! Fuckin' bullshit! :mad:

Mr. Vengeance
12-21-2016, 06:25 PM
Fucking Tupac but no MC5? Fucking joke HOF.

twonabomber
12-21-2016, 07:08 PM
Yeah, MC5 way more influential. And obviously more rock and roll.

Some shitty writer for the Plain Dealer keeps bringing up Bon Jovi, and how many records they've sold. It's not supposed to be about sales, more about influence.

twonabomber
01-05-2017, 08:16 AM
Rick Wakeman says he's not going:

Former Yes keyboardist Rick Wakeman has spoke out on the band's upcoming induction into the 2017 Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame and revealed that "under no circumstances" would be taking part in the ceremony.

Wakeman and several members of the pioneering progressive rock group, including Jon Anderson, Bill Bruford, Steve Howe, Trevor Rabin, Alan White, Tony Kaye and the late Chris Squire will be honoured at an April ceremony in New York alongside Pearl Jam, Journey, Electric Light Orchestra, Joan Baez and Tupac Shakur.

Asked if he was pleased at the Rock Hall news, Wakeman said via his website: "Well I would have been if it had happened years ago when it was really well deserved. I find it hard to come to terms with the fact that so many bands are inducted into the Hall of Fame too late in their careers after key members have passed away. Classic examples are The Who and John Entwistle, Deep Purple and Jon Lord and now Yes and there will be no Chris Squire."

Regarding his plans for the event, Wakeman adds, "I have no idea if there will be any sort of reunion, but whatever happens under no circumstances will I be any part of it, neither will I be attending."

Wakeman joined Yes in 1971 for their fourth album, "Fragile", and served several short stints in the line-up before his final exit in 2004.

Yes were formed in London in in 1968 by Jon Anderson and Chris Squire. The band have seen many changes in their members and started out as a group who covered rock, pop, blues and jazz songs.

It was their change of direction into the world of progressive rock and art-rock that saw them make their mark.

The band have won many awards, topped music charts and now are set to receive the highest accolade as they get an induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Rick Wakeman is the one member of the band who springs to mind when you mention the trailblazing group, it is a shame that he will miss out on being there to celebrate their hard work and determination in the world of music.

https://www.gigwise.com/news/108833/rick-wakeman-says-no-to-yes-hof-induction

Wakeman is wrong about the Who's induction. The Who were inducted in 1990, and Entwistle died in 2002. The first induction class was in 1986.

DONNIEP
01-05-2017, 09:33 AM
Pearl Jam sucks and Tupac?? Gimme a freakin break. How in the hell are the Go Go's not on the damn list?? First all chick band to play their own instruments, write their own songs, and have a number one record. And the singer was hotter than hell!

cadaverdog
01-05-2017, 01:03 PM
Sure, Journey sold a lot of records, but are they influential?
Is that a requirement? At least Journey's music somewhat meets the definition of rock and roll. Hard to believe Steppenwolf hasn't been inducted yet.

twonabomber
01-05-2017, 01:36 PM
Is that a requirement?

Uh, yeah.

Besides demonstrating unquestionable musical excellence and talent, inductees will have had a significant impact on the development, evolution and preservation of rock & roll.

Sales and/or popularity aren't cited at all.

And before anyone else brings it up...that doesn't explain Tupac getting in. That's the HOF Foundation's decision.

FORD
01-05-2017, 01:40 PM
Journey titled one of their albums "Evolution". Apparently that qualifies? (Though at least they made that record before the pussy Cain destroyed the band.)

cadaverdog
01-05-2017, 01:41 PM
How in the hell are the Go Go's not on the damn list?? First all chick band to play their own instruments, write their own songs, and have a number one record. And the singer was hotter than hell!
The Go Go's sucked but they did write their own songs and played their own instruments. Belinda Carlisle (skinny version) was hot but the singer for The Bangles was way hotter. Chunky Belinda was kind of cute too but I know you don't dig fat chicks.

twonabomber
01-05-2017, 01:49 PM
Journey titled one of their albums "Evolution". Apparently that qualifies? (Though at least they made that record before the pussy Cain destroyed the band.)

Journey's induction is kind of puzzling. They were never critical favorites, and those are the people on the HOF board making the decisions. They're from San Francisco, and I think Jann Wenner hates them. Kind of a token induction for the fans, I guess. But then there are Moody Blues and Jethro Tull fans crying for years that their favorite bands haven't been inducted.

Most of the big names are already in. We'll probably see a lot more of these "filler" induction classes from here on out. I'm still waiting for the New Wave acts to get in. :D

FORD
01-05-2017, 02:00 PM
The Go Go's sucked but they did write their own songs and played their own instruments. Belinda Carlisle (skinny version) was hot but the singer for The Bangles was way hotter. Chunky Belinda was kind of cute too but I know you don't dig fat chicks.

The GoGos were better before they let the record labels soften them up too much. Belinda used to be in The Germs, for fucks sake. They should have stayed punk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaZiYv5Chio

vandeleur
01-05-2017, 02:02 PM

I do .... pop music Belinda looked like a good time :)

vandeleur
01-05-2017, 02:05 PM
Punk Belinda should have released Circle jerks in the sand :D

cadaverdog
01-05-2017, 02:17 PM
Sales and/or popularity aren't cited at all.

Popularity might not be cited but popularity is what gets performers from one level to the next. You can't influence too many people if nobody ever hears you perform.

DONNIEP
01-05-2017, 07:29 PM

Wrong - I think chubby Belinda was hot as hell!

Nickdfresh
01-05-2017, 08:02 PM
Naw, Jane Wiedlin was always the dirty little fuck puppet!
http://pics.wikifeet.com/Jane-Wiedlin-Feet-706184.jpg

DONNIEP
01-05-2017, 08:26 PM
Naw, Jane Wiedlin was always the dirty little fuck puppet!
http://pics.wikifeet.com/Jane-Wiedlin-Feet-706184.jpg

You ain't gonna get any argument from me. I'd like to make a Donnie Sammich with Jane on bottom and Belinda on top. Me Yow!!

cadaverdog
01-05-2017, 10:16 PM
Wrong - I think chubby Belinda was hot as hell!
As hot as this one?

Terry
01-08-2017, 03:22 PM
Journey's induction is kind of puzzling. They were never critical favorites, and those are the people on the HOF board making the decisions. They're from San Francisco, and I think Jann Wenner hates them. Kind of a token induction for the fans, I guess. But then there are Moody Blues and Jethro Tull fans crying for years that their favorite bands haven't been inducted.

Most of the big names are already in. We'll probably see a lot more of these "filler" induction classes from here on out. I'm still waiting for the New Wave acts to get in. :D

Most of the biggest and the best ARE already in. I mean, if ELO and Journey are your two biggest inductees it stands to reason that you've pretty much gone through the worthwhile inductees in terms of bands with wide name recognition.

Doubtless Wenner would have preferred to induct Mick Jagger as a solo artist than either ELO or Journey. It would have given Wenner yet another opportunity to interview Jagger, furiously masturbating himself raw all the while ("oooh! I'm talking to...MICK JAGGER!").

twonabomber
01-08-2017, 06:28 PM
That's the difference between the Stones and Beatles. Mick and Keith won't be inducted for their solo work.

cadaverdog
01-08-2017, 08:45 PM
That's the difference between the Stones and Beatles. Mick and Keith won't be inducted for their solo work.
Nor do they deserve to be. Nor do Daltrey or Townsend. Not sure Bruce Springsteen as a solo performer deserves to be either. Robert Plant does. Jimmy Page? Maybe, maybe not. Phil Collins? I'd say yes. Stevie Nicks? Definitely.

FORD
01-08-2017, 09:00 PM

Keef should be. The X-Pensive Winos albums were great. I'm the biggest Stones fan on the planet, but even I wouldn't nominate Mick's solo records (except maybe Wandering Spirit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTDJCHoQ0P0

FORD
01-08-2017, 09:08 PM
Not sure Bruce Springsteen as a solo performer deserves to be either.

They screwed up by inducting Bruce by himself in the first place, and they did so because Hall of Fame eligibility is based on recording careers, and Columbia labeled all of the Boss's albums as "Bruce Springsteen" with the E Street Band not getting official billing on an album until the live box set released in 1985. But of course, all of the records (except Nebraska) were band efforts. Just a damn shame that the band members started dropping dead before the RRHOF finally corrected that mistake.

twonabomber
01-09-2017, 05:30 AM
Nor do they deserve to be. Nor do Daltrey or Townsend. Not sure Bruce Springsteen as a solo performer deserves to be either. Robert Plant does. Jimmy Page? Maybe, maybe not. Phil Collins? I'd say yes. Stevie Nicks? Definitely.

Don't leave out Roth and Hagar. :D I doubt they'd be considered solo.

Stevie Nicks over the rest of the Mac, solo, because the rest of them didn't do much.

Plant makes sense, his albums were well received.

Collins? Likely. Especially now that he's out of retirement, if he has something to promote next year he'd probably be on the list.

Townshend? Maybe, his early solo stuff was pretty good. The White City concept album and the ones that followed could at least get him nominated.

Then there's a lot of the early 80's indie bands...still waiting on the Replacements. Husker Du?

twonabomber
01-09-2017, 05:33 AM
Keef should be. The X-Pensive Winos albums were great. I'm the biggest Stones fan on the planet, but even I wouldn't nominate Mick's solo records (except maybe Wandering Spirit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTDJCHoQ0P0

I feel the same way about the Winos, but I just don't see it happening.

cadaverdog
01-09-2017, 06:48 PM
But of course, all of the records (except Nebraska) were band efforts. Just a damn shame that the band members started dropping dead before the RRHOF finally corrected that mistake.
I was researching that yesterday after I saw your post. One of the sources I encountered said he had two solo albums but didn't name them. The hall could have just added the E Street band to Bruce but that would just be another insult to the band.

FORD
01-09-2017, 08:08 PM
After that live box set, things changed a little. "Tunnel of Love" was sort of a "semi-E Street Band" album, since most of them played on it, along with some other musicians. The E Street Band actually split up for a while after that tour, and Bruce released 2 albums in 1992 with studio musicians playing on it. (not as good in my opinion, but they had their moments)

I referred to Nebraska as the true "solo" album because it was mostly Bruce and his acoustic guitar. Though the E Street Band reunited in the late 90s, and has made several albums with Bruce since then, he's also done some side projects like "Devils & Dust" (another acoustic solo record) and "The Seeger Sessions" which, as the title suggests, was traditional folk music, featuring songs popularized by Pete Seeger himself.

twonabomber
01-27-2017, 01:32 PM
Neil Young, Jackson Browne, Geddy Lee & Alex Lifeson to induct Pearl Jam, Joan Baez, Yes into Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Hall of Famers Neil Young, Jackson Browne and Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee of Rush will bring Pearl Jam, Joan Baez and Yes, respectively, into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in April.

Those are the first presenters announced by the Rock Hall for the Friday, April 7, ceremony at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. The news was unveiled in a Rock Hall press release in the early morning hours of Friday.

Still to be determined: Who will induct the remaining members of the Class of 2017, Electric Light Orchestra, Journey, Tupac Shakur and Nile Rodgers. All but Rodgers are being entering the Rock Hall as performers; Chic founder Rodgers is going in as the Ahmet Ertegun Award Lifetime Achievement winner, a non-performer category.

Tickets for the public, $50 to $500, go on sale to the general public at 10 a.m. Friday, Feb. 3, at ticketmaster.com and barclayscenter.com or by phone at 1-800-745-3000. Tickets will be available at the Barclays Center box office the following day.

However, Citi cardholders can get tickets to the 32nd annual induction ceremony at a special online presale at citiprivatepass.com from 10 a.m. Monday, Jan. 30, to 10 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 2.

The Rock Hall also revealed that a special exhibit honoring the Class of 2017 inductees would open on March 31.

"There's a creative committee that looks for these types of connections to find people who are the right fit,'' said Todd Mesek, the Rock Hall's vice president of marketing and communications, in explaining how the institution chooses those who will present artists for induction.

"They look for those connections and a deep appreciation, so that the presenters can speak from the heart on the inductee's impact - both on themselves as well as the fans at large,'' he said.

"Rush was definitely influenced by Yes, and the two groups are both seminal prog-rock bands, so it's a natural fit to have Rush welcome in Yes as fellow inductees,'' said Mesek.

"Pearl Jam continues to play Young's 'Rockin' in the Free World' as part of their sets today, so the relationship - personally, professionally and musically - is deep,'' Mesek said.

"Jackson Browne and Joan Baez are both important singer/songwriters. Baez recorded Browne's song 'Fountain of Sorrow' on 'Diamonds and Rust,' and they've both admired each other's work for some time,'' Mesek said.

Young's ties to Pearl Jam make him an outstanding choice to induct the band. Early in the 1990s, he was dubbed "the godfather of grunge,'' and crossed the generational line when he utilized Pearl Jam as his backup band for his 1995 hit album "Mirror Ball.'' Ten of the 11 songs on the album were written by Young, but one, "Peace and Love,'' was co-written by Young and Pearl Jam lead singer Eddie Vedder.

Browne's Southern California roots make him the ideal performer to bring fellow Left Coaster Baez into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame fold. Browne, whom Hall of Famers Don Henley and Glenn Frey of the Eagles once credited with teaching them how to write songs, is in the hall as much for his gift with melody and lyric as he is for his ability to sing. If there is a criticism of Baez - and there are few legitimate ones - it's that she is primarily known as a cover artist.

But Browne and Hall of Famer Linda Ronstadt are great friends and contemporaries - it was he who got Frey and Henley into one of her early touring bands before the Eagles - and Ronstadt has said that Baez was one of her greatest influences. As Ronstadt is battling Parkinson's disease, which made her unable to attend her own induction in 2014, Browne is a better than adequate sub.

As obvious as those choices are, the tapping of Rush's Lee and Lifeson to bring Yes into the hall may be the best of all. During Rush's 2012 induction, members of the band expressed dismay that they had beaten prog-rock pioneers Yes and King Crimson into the Hall of Fame.

Perhaps one of the sweetest bits of justice is a recollection of an interview given by Chris Squire, the Yes bassist who died of leukemia in 2015. He was asked who he'd like to see induct the band . . . if it ever got in. This is what he told the interviewer from K-Earth 101, a Los Angeles radio station, back in 2013:

"I haven't given it much thought, maybe those Rush guys who got in last year! I'm pretty good friends with Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins (of the Foo Fighters), and they did a great speech for Rush... so probably not them, since they just did one. But if you know Geddy (Lee), let him know that that would be fine by me.''

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2017/01/neil_young_jackson_browne_gedd.html#incart_m-rpt-1