PDA

View Full Version : Did the RNC just compare Trump to Jesus in its official Christmas statement?

FORD
12-26-2016, 11:57 AM
Did the RNC just compare Trump to Jesus in its official Christmas statement?
Mic (http://www.aol.com/article/news/2016/12/25/rnc-accused-of-comparing-trump-to-jesus-in-official-christmas-statement/21641874/)
Anna Swartz
Dec 25th 2016 3:06PM

The Republican National Committee released its official Christmas statement on Sunday — and it included a line that has some on Twitter wondering if the GOP could be intentionally trying to compare President-elect Donald Trump to Jesus.

"Merry Christmas to all! Over two millennia ago, a new hope was born into the world, a savior who would offer the promise of salvation to all mankind," read the statement, sent on behalf of RNC chairman and incoming White House chief of staff Reince Priebus and RNC co-chair Sharon Day.

"Just as the three wise men did on that night, this Christmas heralds a time to celebrate the good news of a new king," the statement continued.

That reference to a "new king" had a lot of people on Twitter wondering if the RNC actually just compared newly elected Trump to Jesus.

But as Jack Jenkins, a religion reporter for ThinkProgress,pointed out, the phrasing in the RNC's statement isn't an unusual way to talk about Jesus around Christmas.

Others agreed that, even in the present tense, the RNC's reference to "news of a new king" referred to Jesus, not Trump.

But at that point, of course, the jokes had already started.

twonabomber
12-26-2016, 12:01 PM
"Merry Christmas to all! Over two millennia ago, a new hope was born into the world

Anakin Skywalker?

DONNIEP
12-26-2016, 12:06 PM
Anakin Skywalker?

Anakin was a pussy. Vader was a bad ass. Too bad he turned good in the end.

FORD
12-26-2016, 12:06 PM
Well, that one didn't work out so well either, though his kids made up for it.

FORD
12-26-2016, 12:07 PM
Anakin was a pussy. Vader was a bad ass. Too bad he turned good in the end.

Best part of Rogue One was seeing Darth Vader back to his old self, rather than a whiny teenager.

vandeleur
12-26-2016, 12:13 PM
Best part of Rogue One was seeing Darth Vader back to his old self, rather than a whiny teenager.

Definitely

DONNIEP
12-26-2016, 12:30 PM

Revenge Of The Sith only got good about the last 30 minutes or so. Honestly I don't think we even needed the backstory on Anakin. So stoopid. It was like "Anakin, be evil", "Ok". Booorrriiinnnggg.....

twonabomber
12-26-2016, 12:42 PM
Revenge Of The Sith only got good about the last 30 minutes or so. Honestly I don't think we even needed the backstory on Anakin. So stoopid. It was like "Anakin, be evil", "Ok". Booorrriiinnnggg.....

Anakin was "turned" too quickly.

But then in R1 I thought Jyn agreeing to be part of the rebellion was kind of fast. I know they did a lot of re-shoots, I wonder if any of that stuff will end up on the Blu-Ray and we can see how different the movie would have been.

vandeleur
12-26-2016, 12:47 PM
The director was discussing the reshoot in an interview I read. He said there had been a misunderstanding with Disney as to how they could end the movie. With regards to who would survive.
But surely you actually document what you are filming before you film it . Sounded a bit BS

twonabomber
12-26-2016, 12:49 PM
Someone at Disney claimed that there couldn't be a Boba Fett standalone movie, because they can't figure out how to make the bad guy a hero.

After Disney approved the ending of R1, I'd say there's someone there who can figure out the Fett flick. And it looks like it's back in development.

vandeleur
12-26-2016, 12:56 PM
I like the idea of a boba fett movie more than a "Han and lando do lethal weapon" movie.

twonabomber
12-26-2016, 01:05 PM
I'd take a Boba Fett movie over a Kenobi movie.

Disney's got it mapped out through 2020: Ep 8 next year, Han Solo starts filming in February for a 2018 release, and then Ep 9 in 2019. Leaving 2020 open for the third standalone movie. Plenty of time to decide on what it'll be.