PDA

View Full Version : U2 Joshua Tree tour 2017

twonabomber
01-09-2017, 08:14 AM
Go get lectured by Bono!

U2 will mount an international stadium tour this year to celebrate the 30th anniversary of The Joshua Tree.

The legendary Irish outfit will perform their classic fifth album in its entirety on each date of the U2: The Joshua Tree Tour 2017, which is scheduled to start May 12 at BC Place in Vancouver, Canada and includes the band’s first-ever U.S. festival headline appearance at the Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival.

The European leg is scheduled to start July 8 at Twickenham in London, and wraps Aug. 1 at Stade Roi Baudouin in Brussels, Belgium. U2’s hometown fans can mark July 22 on the calendar; that’s the date Bono, the Edge, Larry Mullen and Adam Clayton take the stage at Dublin’s Croke Park.

Produced by Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois and peppered with the hits "With or Without You," "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" and "Where the Streets Have No Name," The Joshua Tree cemented U2's status as the biggest band on the planet. The LP peaked at No. 1 in the U.S., the U.K. and across Europe and is now diamond certified by the RIAA.

“Recently I listened back to The Joshua Tree for the first time in nearly 30 years… it’s quite an opera,” comments Bono in a statement announcing the tour. “A lot of emotions which feel strangely current, love, loss, broken dreams, seeking oblivion, polarisation… all the greats... I’ve sung some of these songs a lot… but never all of them. I’m up for it, if our audience is as excited as we are… it’s gonna be a great night.”

The Edge shared his thoughts on the upcoming dates and what fans should expect to see and hear. "I don't think we're going to go overboard in reinventing the wheel, but we'll definitely take those aesthetic ideas and kind of update them somewhat," he told Rolling Stone. "This is The Joshua Tree 2017. It's not The Joshua Tree 1986."

The support slots on U2’s North America dates will be filled by either Mumford & Sons, OneRepublic or The Lumineers, while Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds will open in Europe.

Live Nation Global Touring will produce the run, which currently features 25 dates. Its U2’s first stadium tour since the 2009-2011 360 trek, which entered the history books with a gross of more than $736,137,344 and total attendance of 7,268,430, both the highest tour tallies ever reported to Billboard.

The band's most recent run, the iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE arena tour, ran from May to December 2015.

2017 is shaping as a particularly busy year for U2. In a recent interview with Q, Bono and The Edge both confirmed they’re hard at work on the follow-up to 2014’s Songs of Innocence and that it is expected to drop before the year is out.

The general ticket on sale starts Jan. 16 in Europe and the following day in North America. For more information visit u2.com and livenation.com.

U2: The Joshua Tree Tour 2017:

NORTH AMERICA DATES:
May 12 - Vancouver, BC - BC Place*
May 14 - Seattle, WA - CenturyLink Field*
May 17 - Santa Clara, CA - Levi's Stadium*
May 20 - Los Angeles, CA - Rose Bowl+
May 24 - Houston, TX - NRG Stadium+
May 26 - Dallas, TX - AT&T Stadium+
June 3 - Chicago, IL - Soldier Field+
June 7 - Pittsburgh, PA - Heinz Field+
June 8-11 - Manchester, TN - Bonnaroo Festival
June 11 - Miami, FL - Hard Rock Stadium^
June 14 - Tampa, FL - Raymond James Stadium^
June 18 - Philadelphia, PA - Lincoln Financial Field+
June 20 - Washington DC - FedExField+
June 23 - Toronto, ON - Rogers Centre+
June 25 - Boston, MA - Gillette Stadium+
June 28 - East Rutherford, NJ - MetLife Stadium+
July 1 - Cleveland, OH - FirstEnergy Stadium^
* with Mumford & Sons
+ with The Lumineers
^ with OneRepublic

EUROPE DATES:
July 8 - London, UK - Twickenham
July 12 - Berlin, DE - Olympic Stadium
July 15 - Rome, IT - Olympic Stadium
July 18 - Barcelona, ES - Olympic Stadium
July 22 - Dublin, IE - Croke Park
July 25 - Paris, FR - Stade de France
July 29 - Amsterdam, NE - Amsterdam Arena
August 1 - Brussels, BE - Stade Roi Baudouin
with Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds

twonabomber
01-09-2017, 08:20 AM
Tickets here will be $35 to $280.

I'm on vacation that week, if the weather is good and cheap tickets are available I might go. Not going to buy tickets next week.

Kind of odd that they're playing Pittsburgh and Cleveland. It's a 2.5 hour drive between the two, lately the big tours are spaced further apart to draw from a 3 to 4 hour drive. Maybe the Cleveland show will benefit or be promoted by the Rock Hall, kind of like the McCartney shows were.

Seshmeister
01-09-2017, 09:28 AM
It must be brilliant being a stadium rock band rather than an arena one.

You get to charge four times as many people twice as much for each show.

I wonder what it works out as, $500 000 per hour each doing a 6 hour week?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8dZwXnMrRU

vandeleur
01-09-2017, 10:09 AM
They should let you in for nothing if you produce your original gig ticket stub ..... you know one for the "fans"

Nickdfresh
01-09-2017, 10:46 AM
Guitarist also reveals status of band's upcoming 'Songs of Experience' LP and discusses rare songs fans might get to hear live
http://img.wennermedia.com/article-leads-horizontal/the-edge-u2-da21d75f-78a1-49e2-8fa6-49a88d1f4395.jpg
U2 guitarist the Edge discusses the group's upcoming 'Joshua Tree' anniversary tour and the status of 'Songs of Experience.' Debby Wong/Variety/REX/Shutterstock
By Andy Greene
7 hours ago

Since their formation in 1976, U2 have aggressively avoided any move that even hints at nostalgia. But this year they're going to finally look back by taking their 1987 masterpiece The Joshua Tree on tour in stadiums across America and Europe in honor of the album's 30th anniversary. It's a chance for the band to re-connect with fans after the rather disappointing reception to their 2014 LP Songs of Innocence, and it gives them a chance to hit the road while continuing to put the finishing touches on their upcoming album Songs of Experience. A couple of weeks before the shows were formally announced, U2 guitarist the Edge phoned up Rolling Stone to talk about the tour, reviving rare songs onstage, their next album, Donald Trump and much more.

Can you give me some background on how this tour came together?
Well, when we came off the last tour, the Innocence and Experience indoor tour, we headed straight into finishing the second album of that set, Songs of Experience, which we were pretty much complete with after a couple of weeks of the final touches leading up to the end of the year. And then the election [happened] and suddenly the world changed. We just went, "Hold on a second – we've got to give ourselves a moment to think about this record and about how it relates to what's going on in the world." That's because it was written mostly, I mean, 80 percent of it was started before 2016, but most of it was written in the early part of 2016, and now, as I think you'd agree, the world is a different place.

You're talking about Trump and Brexit?

The Trump election. It's like a pendulum has suddenly just taken a huge swing in the other direction. So, anyway, we then were looking at the anniversary of The Joshua Tree, and another thing started to dawn on us, which is that weirdly enough, things have kind of come full circle, if you want. That record was written in the mid-Eighties, during the Reagan-Thatcher era of British and U.S. politics. It was a period when there was a lot of unrest. Thatcher was in the throes of trying to put down the miners' strike; there was all kinds of shenanigans going on in Central America. It feels like we're right back there in a way. I don't think any of our work has ever come full circle to that extent. It just felt like, "Wow, these songs have a new meaning and a new resonance today that they didn't have three years ago, four years ago." And so it was kind of serendipitous, really, just the realization that we needed to put the album on ice for a minute just to really think about it one more time before putting it out, just to make sure that it really was what we wanted to say.
So we said look, "Look, let's do both. We can really celebrate this album, which is really born again in this context, and we can also really get a chance to think about these songs and make sure they're really what we want to put out." So the two sort of coincided and we decided we were gonna do some shows. And we've never given ourselves the opportunity to celebrate our past because we've always as a band looked forward, but I think we felt that this was a special moment, and this was a very special record. So we're happy to take this moment to regroup and think about an album that's so many years old, but still seems relevant.

Are you going to play the album in sequence at the shows?

I believe we will, and I say "believe we will" because that is certainly the working assumption right now. The show might not necessarily start with Track One, Side One, "Where the Streets Have No Name," because we feel like maybe we need to build up to that moment, so we're still in the middle of figuring out exactly how the running order will go, so yes. We will be playing the album in sequence.

The fans are going to be thrilled. There's many songs you haven't played in decades. Then there's "Red Hill Mining Town," which you've never played.

That's true. I had a couple of days at the end of a studio session where I was listening to that song and working on guitar parts for it, which I hadn't thought about for so many years. That tune in itself is just right slap-bang in some ways what's going on with the U.K. It's not quite as intense, but there's industrial action breaking out all over the U.K. for the first time in generations. It's not exactly a repeat of the Winter of Discontent, but it's wild those issues are coming back. It does seem like politics is polarized in so many parts of the developing world to an extent that I find worrying. I'm sure most people do. Those days were difficult, dark times, and personally we really would hate to see it go back there.

Why do you think that's the only song on the album you never bothered to play live? Is it difficult to play or difficult for Bono to sing?

I think it was probably one of those songs that due to tempo and arrangement never found a place within the live set. It's funny, sometimes great songs ... Think of a live show as an ecosystem. You've got niches to fill. There are uptempo, fast, dramatic songs and those are crucial. Then there are sort of more medium-tempo songs and no matter how great they are, sometimes you just can't find a place for them. So I don't think it was anything more complicated than that. But listening back to it I was like, "Wow, this is, I'm really …"
You may not know this, but within a few days of finishing the album, "Red Hill Mining Town" was our leading contender for the first single. We went ahead and made a video for it with Neil Jordan and we were very pretty confident about it. Then as the weeks went by and we sort of got back our objectivity, views started to change and it became "With or Without You," and I think we were correct.

Then there's "Exit" and "Trip Through Your Wires," which you haven't done since the 1980s. And there's "In God's Country," which has only been done acoustically a handful of times. It'll be great hearing those again.

Yeah. They're all so diverse. That's the thing about The Joshua Tree. It's a very broad, CinemaScope kind of record. At the time we were thinking about it in cinematic terms. I mean, so much of the photographs that goes with the album, the scope was cinematic. We were thinking about songs from that standpoint. And also the literary inspirations and references. In fact, the original working title of "Exit" was "Executioner's Song" because we were using a lot of literature as our jumping off point for the songs in terms of just taking our work in a slightly different direction.
We definitely were falling into the arms of America in the sense that, as a band, punk rock was so much about establishing a unique form of music not inspired or influenced by American music. If you listen to our early records, you can hear the influence of a lot of German contemporary music at the time. A lot of U.K. bands were listening to the same music. The Joshua Tree was the first album where we consciously went, "OK, we spent like four albums thinking about Europe, Ireland, but let's take a look at the roots of this form that we are inevitably a part of." And those were all American.
So we looked at American [music]. We looked at the blues. We looked at the New Journalism. I remember that myself and Bono were reading Flannery O'Connor, the Southern writers. It was a conscious effort to look across the Atlantic and to start to explore America. I mean, for someone from Ireland, it is a vast source of ideas and aspirations and inspirations and generations, America being the Promised Land. We're looking at it in that regard, but also at what America really was. I read about the Soledad Brothers. I read about the Black Panthers. We were exploring America from all kinds of angles. And this time was a Reagan moment where, in some ways, the vision of what America would be seemed under threat. The America of Thomas Jefferson, the America of John F. Kennedy, these were visionaries talking about the ideals of what America can be. We were grappling with those big ideas and now here we are again. It's crazy.

What songs are going to feature in the non–Joshua Tree parts of the show?

Obviously whenever we go to do something live, we are looking to establish a through line, a cinematic core that we can hold to. And we're kind of spoiled and lucky that in the canon there's a lot to draw from. Being kind of early in the process, it's kind of hard for me to say exactly what we'll be looking to do. But I will say that all the old songs are going to be considered and what we finally end up playing will cohere to what the core theme is. You know, we're doing shows in America. We're doing shows in Europe. But certainly the American shows, I have no doubt that a lot of it will be focused on that mythic America that we were writing about during the Joshua Tree.

Do you think it's possible you'll do any B sides from the album like "Wave of Sorrow" or "Luminous Times"?

We've done a few B sides in our shows prior to now, and it's hard in some ways for a song to make the set because it's not about the quality of the song. It's about what you have to leave out to make space for it. We're ambitious to the extent that we always want to cater to what we call our uber-fans who have seen multiple shows. They want to see something novel that they've never seen before, something obscure and unique. And we know that. We try as much as we can to make that possible. But we are also aware that the great majority of the people only have seen us that once, or a couple of times before. There's a very long list of classic songs that they want to hear. It's that balance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yzojvZwzQo
It's often really fun to take something from the past that we haven't played often and reinterpret it, so no doubt we'll be looking into that. But I don't think we're going to put a huge emphasis on obscure and little-heard U2 songs. I think there will be a few for sure. We mentioned "Exit," "Trip Through Your Wires," "In God's Country" and "Red Hill Mining Town." I mean, those are four songs. "Red Hill Mining Town" has never been played and the other three are extremely seldom heard. So, there you go. I don't know. I wouldn't rule out B sides.
I think the two songs the fans are most dying to hear are "Acrobat" and "Drowning Man." They've never been done live. Is there a chance they'll finally be done?
That's very interesting. I didn't know that fans were interested in "Drowning Man." I mean "Acrobat," for sure, I guess. It was one of those kind of more dramatic pieces from Achtung Baby. But that's interesting. I'll take note of that. We always want to listen to our fans because in our experience, music fans are seldom wrong. There's something to what they say, so I'll take note of that. I'm not saying we'll definitely do it, but we're at this wonderful situation where we've got a blank canvas.
I think the fans also miss the moments in the show where you took lead on a song, like "Numb" and "Van Dieman's Land." There used to always be an Edge moment where you did one.
Yeah. You know, I do sing a lot as you know, pretty much always backing. But Bono is actually the one who is often pushing me to take a vocal. I'm fine singing lead, but also the fact is we have a really great singer in the band. I guess the opportunity just hasn't seemed right the last few tours. But I wouldn't rule it out either.

I see you're playing Bonnaroo. That should be fun. It's a very different sort of gig for you guys.

Yeah. We haven't played festivals for a number of years, but we did a lot of festivals early on, and I always remember them very fondly for various reasons. There's a kind of gladiatorial aspect to a festival which always keeps you on your toes in a good way. There's also the opportunity to rub shoulders with your peers and be in a background situation with other artists and other bands. One of the disadvantages of doing your own shows is you tend to just not have those opportunities as often. We formed a lot of friendships early on playing shows with Simple Minds and Eurythmics and various other bands. That's an important part of it to me, so I'm looking forward to that.

What's the stage going to be like at these Joshua Tree shows? Will it be like the original one in 1987 at all?

I don't think we want to be too slavish, but at the same time we want to acknowledge sort of the aesthetic ideas that went with the record. I don't think we're going to go overboard in reinventing the wheel, but we'll definitely take those aesthetic ideas and kind of update them somewhat. This is The Joshua Tree 2017. It's not The Joshua Tree 1986.

Still, I'm sure the word "nostalgia" is going to get tossed around in connection to this tour. How do you feel about that?

Well, as I said, I think what's important for us is that it's not really about nostalgia. There's an element of nostalgia that we can't avoid, but it's not motivated by a desire to look backwards. It's almost like this album has come full circle and we're back there again. It's kind of got a relevance again that we're certainly aware of.

Will the next record be Songs of Experience or is it possible it will be something else entirely?

No, I think it's Songs of Experience. When I say it's almost done, we definitely want to take this opportunity to think about it, make sure it's really what we want to put out given the changes that have occurred in the world. And maybe a little will change, but we absolutely wanted to take that chance just to reconsider everything. And who knows? We may even write a couple of new songs because that's the very position we're in. We've given ourselves a little bit of breathing space for creativity.

Do you think that when the Joshua Tree tour ends, the Innocence and Experience tour will get revved up again with the same staging and everything as last time?

We feel like that tour wasn't finished. So right now, we'd love to finish that tour. I would imagine it's gonna be with very similar production components. But I would hate to attempt to see too far in to the future. That's the working assumption at the moment, but things can change and nothing's written in stone as of yet. But we like that tour and that project wasn't completed. It is still alive in our minds creatively.

Do you have any idea how the next album will be distributed? There was so much attention paid to the distribution of the last one.

My plan is that Bono and I would sneak into everyone's house and put a CD under their pillow [laughs]. But unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be getting much support from the rest of the band. But, no, again, it's quite interesting the way music distribution and promotion and marketing has sort of been thrown into turmoil over the last number of years. What seemed like the most cutting-edge and innovative ideas six months ago no longer seem novel or groundbreaking. Also, I'm aware that sales of vinyl records are going through the roof. It's just crazy to see that. That speaks about so many things about what the artifact, the object of a vinyl record signifies to people versus a digital download, a file. People, in the end, have an emotional connection with a great record and with the artist.
A digital file is … Look, convenience is wonderful. If I'm being honest, I still have my vinyl collection, but I use digital files 90 percent of the time. But I would never give up my vinyl. And so there's a need for both, and I find that kind of reassuring that in the midst of convenience being king, there's still this deep, emotional connection that people have with the body of work that is an album. So who knows? We're still trying to figure it out like everyone else.
What I find heartwarming is that music culture and music is still at the forefront. People are enjoying it and reveling in it and turning to it for all kinds of reasons. I'm interested to see if in this new post-truth world, music sort of reconnects with the activist-protest thread that it had for so many years and seems to have lost recently. I think that aspect of music has always been, to my mind, an important, crucial part of what drew me to it, and why I think a lot of people are drawn to it. So I feel that this is a moment where music might go through a kind of renaissance of a kind and I'm very excited to see what young kids in their garages across North America and Europe are going to be writing about and releasing over the next number of years. I think it's time to get back to some of that.

OK final question: Do you think there will be an Achtung Baby 30th anniversary tour in 2021?

[Laughs] No plans, but never say never.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/the-edge-breaks-down-u2s-upcoming-joshua-tree-tour-w459473

Nickdfresh
01-09-2017, 11:05 AM
Too bad they're not hitting Buffalo but with Cleveland and Pittsburgh, they have the stadium thing covered. I call arena tour in fall and winter! Maybe peace loving Bono will threaten to kick someone's ass like he did in Buffalo in 1987. Of course, the guy deserved to have his ass kicked as he was being a cock by grabbing Bono's casted arm after he had broken it...

Nickdfresh
01-13-2017, 07:25 PM
I know a lot of people hate U2, but at least they release their stuff for the fans. I just recently got the commemorative U2 Joshua Tree box set I bought ten years ago and forgot I had, that includes their shelved July 4, 1987 concert in Paris:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTUJRPrJ1uQ&list=PLWXZ5hTzPl3Pb7MK-svMV5vpcoN8LysOD

DONNIEP
01-13-2017, 07:59 PM
Everybody likes something different and that's cool and all. But I can't think of one U2 song I'd like to hear. Or one time I ever thought, "Man, I wanna listen to some U2!" I think they had one song I like but I can't remember which one right now.

Nickdfresh
01-13-2017, 09:44 PM
Everybody likes something different and that's cool and all. But I can't think of one U2 song I'd like to hear. Or one time I ever thought, "Man, I wanna listen to some U2!" I think they had one song I like but I can't remember which one right now.

Maybe "The Fly"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y1YFH9A3Bw

FORD
01-13-2017, 09:44 PM

Maybe it was their short lived redneck country music career?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piqPgMUB23Y

vandeleur
01-13-2017, 10:11 PM
I had a girlfriend who made me see them live .... twice . I like the one where they walk on stage and the edge is waving his arms and there are three guitars playing.
In the end no pussy is worth u2 3 times.

Oh yeah and I loved when they became all rock n roll, rattle and hum indeed. That edge without his pedals is like a broken pencil :D

Seshmeister
01-14-2017, 10:16 AM
From social media.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15977296_10154999674342664_6205774733147438907_n.j pg?oh=c5bac5f52738a51f3c46859ef8320f52&oe=5922E8C9

Jérôme Frenchise
01-15-2017, 07:19 AM
I know a lot of people hate U2, but at least they release their stuff for the fans to shell out.

Sorry, couldn't help it. ;)

Nickdfresh
01-15-2017, 09:02 AM
Sorry, couldn't help it. ;)

Oh no question! But I do wish classic Van Halen would allow me to shell out like that!

The Paris concert U2 includes is far from perfect and has a lot of glitches and they look a bit tired or partied out. But its a good performance and there it is warts and all. But no Oakland 1981 for you!

Jérôme Frenchise
01-15-2017, 12:42 PM
Oh no question! But I do wish classic Van Halen would allow me to shell out like that!

But no Oakland 1981 for you!

Well, fair enough. So do I... Will VH release anything from the Vaults before they die?... And at that, before we die? :019:

Von Halen
01-15-2017, 02:28 PM
I refuse to see any band that has a member that wears a faggy ass stocking cap 24/7, even when it's 100 degrees out.

Nickdfresh
01-15-2017, 04:19 PM
He's bald and has been since his early 20's...
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_UDIwZAxomYk/S2rTbfTwNeI/AAAAAAAAAPs/49GTASrKnRs/07-u21997pop.jpg

I guess you prefer weaves and stupid 1930's railroad caps? :)

Von Halen
01-16-2017, 08:52 AM
He's bald and has been since his early 20's...
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_UDIwZAxomYk/S2rTbfTwNeI/AAAAAAAAAPs/49GTASrKnRs/07-u21997pop.jpg

What's your point? You like the faggy stocking cap look, even in 100 degree climates?

FORD
01-16-2017, 11:43 AM
The stocking cap never looked "faggy". Now that mustache, in that picture, on the other hand.......

Seriously, I've been a U2 fan since 1980, but there was a lot of embarrassment during that "PopMart" era.

Von Halen
01-16-2017, 11:53 AM
I was at this show at Red Rocks, and have been a casual fan forever. But the stocking cap look is faggy, and needs to go away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM4vblG6BVQ

DavidLeeNatra
01-16-2017, 02:07 PM
U2 is a band that does a lot of right and good things, but I never came to like them. One of the bands I wouldn't want to see for free just because I don't give a shit.

FORD
01-16-2017, 02:30 PM
Just so Von can stop talking about Edge's "faggy stocking cap", here he is with a full head of hair......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNX95XM_v7I

I suspect this tape is playing a bit fast, but it's a great performance otherwise

Von Halen
01-16-2017, 02:41 PM
I will not stop talking about Edge's faggy stocking cap, until he quits wearing it. I don't care if he is bald, or has a Trump comb over. The faggy ass stocking cap needs to go. Or at least switch it up and wear some different styles of hats.

I've noticed Lars doing this recently too.

I have a nephew that has a full head of hair, and we'll be doing a 4th of July BBQ outdoors in 90 degree heat, and that dumbass will have a fucking stocking cap on. 30 years old, full head of hair. It's fucking stupid, retarded and faggy! (He's not a fag, but his stocking cap look is faggy).

Oh shit, I just realized I may have said something inappropriate or not politically correct. :rolleyes: I hope NickDickless isn't offended!

Nickdfresh
01-16-2017, 07:00 PM
I was at this show at Red Rocks, and have been a casual fan forever. But the stocking cap look is faggy, and needs to go away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM4vblG6BVQ

I dunno why he didn't just shave his head, he actually looks good...like a young Heisenberg!
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m162/gluey76/Edge/edgechromedome.jpg

Nickdfresh
01-16-2017, 07:02 PM
I will not stop talking about Edge's faggy stocking cap, until he quits wearing it. I don't care if he is bald, or has a Trump comb over. The faggy ass stocking cap needs to go. Or at least switch it up and wear some different styles of hats.

I've noticed Lars doing this recently too.

I have a nephew that has a full head of hair, and we'll be doing a 4th of July BBQ outdoors in 90 degree heat, and that dumbass will have a fucking stocking cap on. 30 years old, full head of hair. It's fucking stupid, retarded and faggy! (He's not a fag, but his stocking cap look is faggy).

Oh shit, I just realized I may have said something inappropriate or not politically correct. :rolleyes: I hope NickDickless isn't offended!

Not at all, I know how much you love faggots....

vandeleur
01-16-2017, 07:04 PM
He looks like a middle aged man , which he is.
I often wondered if the hat was to hide earplugs so bono didn't guess he wasnt listening to his shit craic.

cadaverdog
01-16-2017, 07:59 PM
I refuse to see any band that has a member that wears a faggy ass stocking cap 24/7, even when it's 100 degrees out.
Like these guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsdy_rct6uo

cadaverdog
01-16-2017, 08:03 PM
How about these guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcXpKiY2MXE

FORD
01-16-2017, 11:46 PM
The very first U2 record. Only released in Ireland (though I managed fo find it at Tower Records back in the day)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TFDV9OgEto

FORD
01-16-2017, 11:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNymExoM3Zs

FORD
01-16-2017, 11:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOX3s9_Ekts

vandeleur
01-17-2017, 12:37 AM
hell is FORDs record collection :biggrin:

FORD
01-17-2017, 01:31 AM
Well then, as Bon said, "Hell ain't a bad place to be" :gulp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iEVn9dXRRo

And here's their second single - another Irish only release.

FORD
01-17-2017, 01:37 AM
And the third single.... which Island records eventually released in the UK (but I have the original CBS Ireland version)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrVd4TZQhbA

cadaverdog
01-17-2017, 06:30 AM
hell is FORDs record collection :biggrin:
I had a decent record collection when I was younger but I accidentally left them behind when I moved. One of my albums was the early version of Lynyrd Skynyrd's Street Survivors that had the TOTS (Tour Of The South) schedule in it. Had some rare bootlegs too.

FORD
01-17-2017, 02:08 PM
U2's first appearance on Irish TV - March 2, 1978

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVYAPmdckBY

Von Halen
01-17-2017, 02:42 PM
I can think of a minimum of 50 bands I'd rather go see live, than U2. Hell, I'd rather see VH with a horrible sounding Dave in 2017. Now that I'm thinking about it, I can also think of 50 bands I'd rather see live, than VH these days.

FORD
01-17-2017, 05:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhn3n5BBr9E

DavidLeeNatra
01-18-2017, 01:08 AM
I can think of a minimum of 50 bands I'd rather go see live, than U2. Hell, I'd rather see VH with a horrible sounding Dave in 2017. Now that I'm thinking about it, I can also think of 50 bands I'd rather see live, than VH these days.
You're Italian? Just askin'...

Von Halen
01-18-2017, 08:18 AM
You're Italian? Just askin'...

Not even slightly. Why?

Nickdfresh
06-09-2017, 09:42 PM
They just announced a bunch of stadium dates for the northeast, probably going to the Buffalo show at New Era on September 5th. The cheapest tickets will be about $40, which is very reasonable...

Nickdfresh
06-09-2017, 10:02 PM
I've read a couple of reviews and they're pretty positive actually, and Bono doesn't preach much...

Seshmeister
06-09-2017, 10:10 PM
They just announced a bunch of stadium dates for the northeast, probably going to the Buffalo show at New Era on September 5th. The cheapest tickets will be about $40, which is very reasonable...

Fair enough, I was about to start shit about their prices because I read somewhere that the UK and Ireland tickets started at $140+

Kristy
06-10-2017, 02:00 AM
They are literally out of ideas, music, and self-worth.

Way past time for them to hang it up

Nickdfresh
06-10-2017, 03:55 AM
Fair enough, I was about to start shit about their prices because I read somewhere that the UK and Ireland tickets started at $140+

They're $39.50 to $295 here, which may be the market but quite reasonable...

Nickdfresh
06-10-2017, 03:57 AM
They are literally out of ideas, music, and self-worth.

Way past time for them to hang it up

Well they had more ideas than you, so the fuck what....

BTW, they are working on a new album and thought The Joshua Tree redux fit the current political climate of right wing assholes controlling the U.S. and U.K., and would be a good bridge from their embarrassing last album to their new stuff....

twonabomber
06-10-2017, 04:08 AM
Show here sold out. Could always sit near the Rock Hall or closer to the stadium and listen for free.

Found this on the tube the other day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IobgVahpNu0&t=606s&list=WL&index=81

Nickdfresh
06-10-2017, 04:42 AM
Actually New Era Stadium is perfect for that with so many parking lots and a presumably semi-empty bar(s) next door during the concert...

I doubt they'll sell out right away on Monday, I hope...

twonabomber
06-10-2017, 06:53 AM
I really didn't think it would sell out, with Pittsburgh so close.

Nickdfresh
06-10-2017, 12:10 PM
I really didn't think it would sell out, with Pittsburgh so close.

That's probably why they launched a second wave of dates, U2 will be like the third concert at the Bill's stadium since around 2011 after a period of concert bans after the Grateful Dead riots of 1991 or so..,.

Kristy
06-10-2017, 01:08 PM
Well they had more ideas than you, so the fuck what....

BTW, they are working on a new album and thought The Joshua Tree redux fit the current political climate of right wing assholes controlling the U.S. and U.K., and would be a good bridge from their embarrassing last album to their new stuff....

Oh, right, right, another one of those "Remixed 2017" over priced pieces of shit like this one

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61QEH5tSzbL._SS500.jpg

(Actually, that Beatles remix isn't all that bad)

Kristy
06-10-2017, 01:12 PM
Well they had more ideas than you, so the fuck what.

Really, fucktard?

Seems to me when it ever came to Jew2 this guy was the one with the "ideas."
https://static01.nyt.com/images/2013/10/31/t-magazine/31eno-ashlock1/31eno-ashlock1-tmagSF.jpg

As was this guy

http://exclaim.ca/images/Lanois.jpg

So "suck my dick," F A T T Y

Nickdfresh
06-10-2017, 07:12 PM
Oh, right, right, another one of those "Remixed 2017" over priced pieces of shit like this one

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61QEH5tSzbL._SS500.jpg

(Actually, that Beatles remix isn't all that bad)

They already did that like ten years ago you moron. They're just playing the "Joshua Tree" line-up as a nostalgia thing...

Nickdfresh
06-10-2017, 07:14 PM
Really, fucktard?

Seems to me when it ever came to Jew2 this guy was the one with the "ideas."
https://static01.nyt.com/images/2013/10/31/t-magazine/31eno-ashlock1/31eno-ashlock1-tmagSF.jpg

As was this guy

http://exclaim.ca/images/Lanois.jpg

So "suck my dick," F A T T Y

They didn't write the music, fucktard. They arranged it at behest of the band and the ZooTV/Achtung Baby era was largely pushing out Lanois and showed a dramatic break with their 'big-music' past. Most of that direction was driven by Edge and Bono...

So eat my asshole

Kristy
06-10-2017, 09:15 PM
Wow. Stay stupid, fucktard.

Kristy
06-10-2017, 09:17 PM
They already did that like ten years ago you moron. They're just playing the "Joshua Tree" line-up as a nostalgia thing...
"Nostalgia thing" = out of ideas. In it for the money.

Kristy
06-11-2017, 12:36 AM
...Oh, and I don't ever remember Jew2 doing a "2017 Remix" of Crotchusa Pee 10 years ago.

Nickdfresh
06-11-2017, 04:47 PM
"Nostalgia thing" = out of ideas. In it for the money.

No shit, but there's a difference between out of ideas and never having any. You can hate U2 all you want, you say The Edge sucks and is all pedals and whatever. Yes their last album sucked weepy-old-man-balls. But you cannot deny they have been enormously influential. I understand people don't like U2 and see them as preachy phonies or whatever. I don't care. Their concerts tickets here are pretty reasonable and they do put work into putting on a good show, and yes, they are good to their fans and have been generous with the vaults and have tacitly even contributed bootlegs. In short, there isn't much that rivals them at this point like it or not though it's not a very high bar anymore unless you really love GNR....

Nickdfresh
06-11-2017, 04:59 PM
...Oh, and I don't ever remember Jew2 doing a "2017 Remix" of Crotchusa Pee 10 years ago.

Yes, there is a 30th Anniversary Ed. I really don't give a fuck about, you're correct and I hadn't noticed. I did pony up for the 20th Anniversary Remaster with the Paris-DVD and bonuses and had completely forgotten about it until I pulled it out of a box in my basement a couple months back. I read their Achtung Baby era bio that both the Edge and Bono were fucking with people by hitchhiking in the desert southwest during the original Joshua Tree tour and were picked up by an avid fan. After playing some of TJT the kid said something like, "hey guys, you like Def Leppard?" He popped in the Hysteria cassette in the car stereo and both Edge and Bono were horrified shocked on how much better the sound production was on a Def Leppard album than TJT. One of the legitimate things that drove the remaster originally, no interest in another one...

Kristy
06-11-2017, 05:03 PM
So..I win.
http://www.animatedimages.org/data/media/563/animated-balloon-image-0039.gif
AGAIN!

Nickdfresh
06-11-2017, 05:07 PM
Wow. Stay stupid, fucktard.

I'll let you shit your pants to too much pot and electronica whalefarts®...

FORD
06-11-2017, 05:16 PM
https://cbsradionews.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/bono-and-lou-cropped.jpg?w=770
BONO: Hey Lou... what's the deal with this Kristy chick?
LOU: Plucked her eyebrows along the way... shaved her legs and.... well you know how that goes.

Kristy
06-11-2017, 05:38 PM
Funny how all you suburban Jew2 fans think you're somehow relevant. Even you own suburbanites can't stand them

https://youtu.be/60DK9iaifSA

Terry
06-11-2017, 08:18 PM
U2 is a band that does a lot of right and good things, but I never came to like them. One of the bands I wouldn't want to see for free just because I don't give a shit.

I really liked the War album. Still do.

Joshua Tree was an excellent album.

So was Achtung Baby.

After that, I can't really say any of the subsequent albums I heard were great from start to finish, and probably 10 years ago I stopped even bothering with the newer stuff altogether.

I mean, no doubt Bono is a pretentiously earnest, smug guy who thinks he has "changed the world" far more than he actually has. He HAS been willing to try and make a difference with various social/political/economic issues. I suppose I could fault him for his effectiveness with said issues, and his smarmy, self-satisfied attitude. Can't fault him for trying, though.

I do remember thinking around 1993 that U2 were probably one of the last larger-than-life rock bands that were carrying forward the tradition of that classic rock style bands like The Beatles, The Who and The Stones had established. Mostly because U2 weren't afraid to write about 'big' things (as opposed to just love/lust tunes) and there was a seriousness to what they did.

The longer U2 stuck around after the early 1990s, the less I felt that way with each passing year about their post-Achtung career. As I said, about a decade ago, I stopped giving a shit, too.

However, War, The Joshua Tree & Achtung Baby for me have among some of the better stuff ever to come out of rock music. Probably 90% of rock bands who ever existed would have sold their souls to have come up with just one of the tunes off of one of those albums, much less an entire album as good as any of those three...much less all three.

If they wanna tour The Joshua Tree now, and people want to see it, God Bless.

You don't exactly hear anyone pining for a Black Flag reunion or a new Henry Rollins tour, although I'd agree both Sting and Bono are...well, a couple of twats. Talented, but twats nonetheless. I can't disagree with Henry on that score.

Seshmeister
06-11-2017, 08:34 PM
https://cbsradionews.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/bono-and-lou-cropped.jpg?w=770
BONO: Hey Lou... what's the deal with this Kristy chick?
LOU: Plucked her eyebrows along the way... shaved her legs and.... well you know how that goes.

Talking of which did you hear about this story the other week?

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/lou-reed-walk-on-the-wild-side-transphobic-guelph-university-students-canada-transformer-album-a7748686.html

Having a go at Lou Reed of all people on this issue - some students these days really need to get fucking get a grip...

FORD
06-11-2017, 10:27 PM
God that's fucking ridiculous. Lou wrote that song about his own friends. And according to the book "Please Kill Me" - which was all about the early NYC proto-punk scene, Lou himself was dating a trans woman named "Rachel" at the time.

FORD
06-11-2017, 10:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zYaxULqOws

Nickdfresh
06-12-2017, 01:52 AM
Funny how all you suburban Jew2 fans think you're somehow relevant. Even you own suburbanites can't stand them

https://youtu.be/60DK9iaifSA

None of them are Jews, retard...

Rollins is a bit of a mouthy straight-edge dicklick though....

I've liked him, but at least Bono can drink a beer, you homo...

BTW, Kristy you doucheknozzle, you couldn't name ONE fucking Blackfag song, you dumb fucking cumdumpster...

FORD
06-12-2017, 02:16 AM
BTW, Kristy you doucheknozzle, you couldn't name ONE fucking Blackfag song, you dumb fucking cumdumpster...

She should learn this one, because she's ..... "one of them"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgqbjI9ogRw

Henry Rollins on vocals, Greg Ginn and Dez Cadena on guitar, Chuck Dukowski on bass, and Chuck Biscuits on drums - best band that (sadly) never made an official record together - due to corporate record label bullshit keeping them out of the studio.

Nickdfresh
06-12-2017, 11:40 AM
Bought some fees with tickets included from TicketBastard...

I hope they're okay only making $47 in bullshit, er, service charges on TWO FUCKING TICKETS!!!!

Kristy
06-13-2017, 01:49 PM
None of them are Jews, retard...

http://forward.com/culture/207054/the-secret-jewish-history-of-u2/

Nice try with that one, fucktard.

Jesus Christ
06-13-2017, 02:20 PM
Come to think of it, that’s not surprising in the least for a group that puts its faith in Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Lou Reed, Joey Ramone, Paul Celan — and that other great Jewish rock star, Jesus Christ.

The Messiah hath no problem being counted among the greatest Jewish songwriters of thy modern era :jesuslol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A47WxX3FkwU

Nickdfresh
06-13-2017, 02:43 PM
Oh Bono is a Yid Kid now! Gee, I always thought the bios stated he was into charismatic Christianity, knob. Googly-Kristy, again!

Romeo Delight
06-13-2017, 04:57 PM
I really liked the War album. Still do.

Joshua Tree was an excellent album.

So was Achtung Baby.

I think I like the Unforgettable Fire a little better than Achtung, but a good list

Romeo Delight
06-13-2017, 05:06 PM
Bought some fees with tickets included from TicketBastard...

I hope they're okay only making $47 in bullshit, er, service charges on TWO FUCKING TICKETS!!!!

I went to the Vancouver show...prices were ridiculous...in a huge cavernous stadium - 50k plus

What was weird about teh show is that it seemed way to small for that arena...sure the screen is big, but frankly U2 isn't bringing it anymore to justify energizing that size of crowd.

What made it even stranger was Bono's bizarre comments about the venue during the show (eluding it was not suitable to his eclectic tastes).

I know that the lion's share of shows are in the US, but there were a few puzzled faces when he spoke of "This is an American adventure... invented in America" and all of the visuals as well.

I know alot of production and rehearsals are involved to change the show for other countries, but it seemed just strange is all. People around me were perplexed.

It was made all the stranger as the band, particularly Bono spends alot of time here - they rehearsed for a couple of weeks here. Anyways, a smaller venue would have been much better I am sure.

Terry
06-15-2017, 09:49 PM
I went to the Vancouver show...prices were ridiculous...in a huge cavernous stadium - 50k plus

What was weird about teh show is that it seemed way to small for that arena...sure the screen is big, but frankly U2 isn't bringing it anymore to justify energizing that size of crowd.

What made it even stranger was Bono's bizarre comments about the venue during the show (eluding it was not suitable to his eclectic tastes).

I know that the lion's share of shows are in the US, but there were a few puzzled faces when he spoke of "This is an American adventure... invented in America" and all of the visuals as well.

I know alot of production and rehearsals are involved to change the show for other countries, but it seemed just strange is all. People around me were perplexed.

It was made all the stranger as the band, particularly Bono spends alot of time here - they rehearsed for a couple of weeks here. Anyways, a smaller venue would have been much better I am sure.

I'd tend to think U2 would be one of the few bands who really could put on an effective show in a stadium. I mean, shit, they've been doing them for 30+ years now...and they've got more than enough anthems in their discography that would still manage to translate well even in a stadium setting. Like, even if the band's physical energy levels aren't what they used to be, just the songs themselves would still - I imagine - be enough to carry them through.

Having said all that, I'll never, ever see any band in a stadium again. Too much hassle + shit acoustics, and that's across the board for every stadium show I've ever seen. No rock acts - none of them - I've seen in a stadium setting ever sounded even remotely as good as a band in a mid-size arena.

A 1,000 capacity club is my personal ideal.

Kristy
06-17-2017, 12:35 PM

http://www.billboard.com/files/styles/article_main_image/public/media/bono-bush-2007-billboard-650.jpg
"I'll say your name if you promise to cum on my face."

Bono spends a lot of his time sucking the dick of George Bush

Nickdfresh
06-18-2017, 11:57 AM

They were $35 actually but were all in the first two minutes. I went $70, which is what I wanted anyways, but with nearly $25 in Gimp assrape fees per` ticket...

http://cdn.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/2117880/84538369.jpg
http://www.arbitrarytweets.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Pulp-Fiction.jpg

Nickdfresh
06-18-2017, 11:58 AM
http://www.billboard.com/files/styles/article_main_image/public/media/bono-bush-2007-billboard-650.jpg
"I'll say your name if you promise to cum on my face."

Bono spends a lot of his time sucking the dick of George Bush

Oh my that's clever! can't afford the door-charge for open mic night?

FORD
06-18-2017, 12:44 PM

Saw the Popmart show in the Kingdome back in 1997. As big as that stage was, it looked tiny inside that building. Not so much during the show itself, since I was right in front of the stage. That was the last concert in that building before they blew it up a few months later of course.... saw the Stones there just a couple weeks before that. (nowhere near the stage for that one, unfortunately)

Kristy
06-18-2017, 03:50 PM
Notice how slave FORD overlooks the FACT that Bono is now on the Bush Criminal Empire payroll?

Etienne
06-18-2017, 07:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UYVC5yIEXM

Say what you want, Kristy. When Bono meets political celebs he's collecting money for charities or pushing projects to make the world a better place. Sounds cheesy, but makes sense.

FORD
06-18-2017, 11:30 PM
If Bono was on the BCE payroll, Poppy would have taken his phone call....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmgYzASFZPU

Kristy
06-18-2017, 11:39 PM
Again, slave FORD loses due to his incoherent conspiracy bullshit

FORD
06-18-2017, 11:52 PM
I'm not the one attempting to tie an Irish rock singer to the biggest crime syndicate of the 20th century.

Kristy
06-19-2017, 08:02 PM
No, not at all. You've been too busy throwing your BCE monkey feces for so long to do anything else.

Seshmeister
06-19-2017, 08:52 PM
I never realized Bush was so short...

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/05/27/23/40DCC1C600000578-4548472-image-a-23_1495925944255.jpg

FORD
06-19-2017, 09:12 PM
Yeah I remember reading some Chimpy campaign propaganda back in the day that said he was 6 ft tall.

Bullshit. He wouldn't be that tall even after a month of stretching on a CIA torture rack.

Kristy
06-20-2017, 09:23 PM
Even Marty Wilson-Piper gives props to how incredibly stupid and boring Jew4 are

https://youtu.be/-iL97HkLRMs

Then he spends the rest of the vid babbling on how fucking boring he is himself

Nickdfresh
09-06-2017, 01:27 AM
Fucking great show. I wish Dave could sing half as well as Bono, who also had voice troubles on the previous tour...

Kristy
09-07-2017, 12:27 AM
Wow, what a thrilling suburban review.

Nickdfresh
09-07-2017, 01:31 PM
Wow, what a thrilling suburban review.

Well, we can't all be cutting edge hipsters like you (living in the actual suburbs). Isn't almost time for your afternoon cutting?...

silverfish
09-08-2017, 01:03 PM
Lefsetz - U2 Tickets At A Discount

"Granted it’s Buffalo, but…"

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/2017/09/06/u2-tickets-at-a-discount/

Nickdfresh
09-08-2017, 09:18 PM
Lefsetz - U2 Tickets At A Discount

"Granted it’s Buffalo, but…"

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/2017/09/06/u2-tickets-at-a-discount/

What a completely stupid dickhole this guy is. Really? "First in music industry analysis?" After reading his "article" I'm not sure what he's actually trying to get at - but if it's that U2 isn't what they weren't were, well, they're the highest grossing tour and are making at least $65M a month if not more. The Buffalo show was an add on, the cities around it announced in Winter had sold out so Buffalo was added for U2's down time. Yes, tickets were still available but they were close to a sell out as far as I can tell...

Kristy
09-09-2017, 01:13 AM
Well, we can't all be cutting edge hipsters like you (living in the actual suburbs). Isn't almost time for your afternoon cutting?...

Even you lame attempts at insults are suburban. It's like high school never ended for you.

Nickdfresh
09-09-2017, 08:08 AM
Even you lame attempts at insults are suburban. It's like high school never ended for you.

Much like your redundant, pedestrian troll-rantings seem like you never graduated college!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJAaBRoVYAAspMX.jpg

Kristy
09-09-2017, 04:37 PM
Golly, Sparky! More suburban insults.

Nickdfresh
09-10-2017, 01:37 AM
"Sparky"? Is that our sex-pet name?

Kristy
09-11-2017, 12:50 AM
https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/C905/production/_90616415_thinkstockphotos-508626804.jpg

Nickdfresh
09-11-2017, 03:44 AM
https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/C905/production/_90616415_thinkstockphotos-508626804.jpg

If you're trying to erect my cock, you need to try harder! Your neighborhood sucks!

Nickdfresh
09-11-2017, 03:50 AM
Send me some pics of those hands flicking that bean, yo!