PDA

View Full Version : The Obama Years.

cadaverdog
01-11-2017, 04:40 PM
President Obama is about to step down and President Elect Trump (barring any successful assassination attempts) is about to take over. Now comes the time to contemplate this question. Are we better or worse off now than we we're 8 years ago when Obama took office?
I'm on the fence myself. I don't hate the man and I applaud some of the efforts he made as president to make this country a better place to live in.
That being said, let the shit slinging begin.

FORD
01-11-2017, 05:19 PM
Better off than when the Chimp left office? Yes.

Better off than we should have been? Hell no!.

And the blame for that can fall both on the unprecedented levels of right wing obstructionism AND Barry's own tendencies to begin negotiations from the DLC corporatist "middle" rather than the left, automatically ensuring a right wing outcome to the few things he managed to get passed, despite the obstructionism. (i.e. "Obamacare", which was essentially the same thing as the Nixon plan from 1972, the Koch-funded Heritage Foundation plan of the 80s, or the Mittens Romney plan implemented in Massachusetts in the 1990s. It was definitely not the single payer plan needed, nor even the "public option" plan which Barry himself campaigned on - and thus won the primary over Hillary, who was actually running on Romneycare. )

I didn't vote for Barry in 2012.... but I'd take another 4 years of him over a Russian powered orange Nazi piss freak

vandeleur
01-11-2017, 05:22 PM
I suspect he will be judged in a different light in the coming years.

DONNIEP
01-11-2017, 05:31 PM
The Imama single handedly restored peace to the entire world, created 37 gazillion jobs in America, brought the races together here, and healed a little cripple boy with his Magic Kenyan Witch Doctor Powers. Hopefully he'll be crowned Imperial Wizard or whatever of the entire galaxy this year.

Seshmeister
01-11-2017, 08:49 PM
He was steady.

He disappointed everyone by promising too much and then being unable to deliver it but the bottom line for the rest of the world is that he didn't make things worse.

That's unusual.

He didn't start new wars and he came across as though he was thinking about shit before he did it.

I get that there are criticisms to be made but in comparison to the recent people - he's going to be the best for 40 years. It's a very low bar but just getting out of office without huge corruption or killing 100 000 people unnecessarily at this point is a win for a US president!

Seshmeister
01-11-2017, 08:52 PM
Better off than when the Chimp left office? Yes.

Better off than we should have been? Hell no!.

And the blame for that can fall both on the unprecedented levels of right wing obstructionism AND Barry's own tendencies to begin negotiations from the DLC corporatist "middle" rather than the left, automatically ensuring a right wing outcome to the few things he managed to get passed, despite the obstructionism. (i.e. "Obamacare", which was essentially the same thing as the Nixon plan from 1972, the Koch-funded Heritage Foundation plan of the 80s, or the Mittens Romney plan implemented in Massachusetts in the 1990s. It was definitely not the single payer plan needed, nor even the "public option" plan which Barry himself campaigned on - and thus won the primary over Hillary, who was actually running on Romneycare. )

I didn't vote for Barry in 2012.... but I'd take another 4 years of him over a Russian powered orange Nazi piss freak

The main thing that went wrong is him not having the house in sufficient numbers to offset the 'pretend' Democrats.

Terry
01-11-2017, 09:29 PM
8 years of no new wars.

A depression averted.

Economy slowly growing again.

Virtually no personal or political scandals - certainly in comparison to every president since (and including) Reagan, Obama is leaving office untarnished.

Voted for him twice, would have gladly done it a third time if it were possible.

Obama's two terms in office were imperfect: the performance fell short of the campaign rhetoric. Then again, humans aren't perfect and neither is life.

I'm proud to have voted for him, and thankful he served.

cadaverdog
01-12-2017, 01:19 AM
Virtually no personal or political scandals - certainly in comparison to every president since (and including) Reagan, Obama is leaving office untarnished.

What about the Bergdahl bullshit? He traded five terrorists for one traitor. I also believe he has a lot to do with the sad shape of race relations in the U S right now Then again I think liberals who stereotype anyone who would vote for Donald Trump as a racist, sexist, homophobic, white supremacist card carrying, robe wearing member of the KKK has had a lot to do with that too.

cadaverdog
01-12-2017, 01:54 AM
I get that there are criticisms to be made but in comparison to the recent people - he's going to be the best for 40 years. It's a very low bar but just getting out of office without huge corruption or killing 100 000 people unnecessarily at this point is a win for a US president!
Is that another prediction? The president before Obama was a shithead. I'll admit that. Bubba's biggest fuck up was letting the little head do all the thinking for the big head. Hate to admit it but he kicked ass economically.
That means the next 24 years are gonna have to suck worse than the last 8 presidentially for that to happen. I was kind of hoping things were gonna get better.

FORD
01-12-2017, 02:05 AM
I was kind of hoping things were gonna get better.

Any chance of things getting measurably better disappeared when Debbie Scatterbrained-Lush and the stupid-delegates stole the Democratic primary.

After that the only question was which kind of worse, And if we get Cheeto's cabinet of complete incompetents, and then he's impeached and we get Pence's theocracy on top of all that, that's about every kind of worse imaginable.

Seshmeister
01-12-2017, 06:27 AM
What about the Bergdahl bullshit? He traded five terrorists for one traitor.

That wasn't a scandal, it was a difficult decision.

The real mistake with Bergdahl was by the Army recruiters.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-12-2017, 07:16 AM
Real classy, putting that banner up top.....

DONNIEP
01-12-2017, 09:56 AM

Sesh wanted to add a torch but we figured some people would think it was racist...

Von Halen
01-12-2017, 10:00 AM

I tried to talk Sesh out of it...

Seshmeister
01-12-2017, 11:08 AM
Fixed! :biggrin:

cadaverdog
01-12-2017, 04:15 PM
That wasn't a scandal, it was a difficult decision.

The real mistake with Bergdahl was by the Army recruiters.
It was a stupid decision. A decision he made. Army recruiters aren't psychics.

cadaverdog
01-12-2017, 04:16 PM
Fixed! :biggrin:
Much better. Keep up the good work.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-12-2017, 04:35 PM
SMFH....

He might as well have starting playing the shell game in that press conference yesterday. You're being taken to the cleaners, and the worst part is you guys don't give a fuck, because by god, he says what he means!!

I'm just kidding, everything is the Democrats fault.....

DONNIEP
01-12-2017, 05:23 PM
I wonder what the countdown clock is gonna say tomorrow...I have endless suggestions!

Von Halen
01-12-2017, 05:40 PM
Maybe it will say "FORD and NickDickless Leaving The Country In".

cadaverdog
01-12-2017, 05:43 PM
I'm just kidding, everything is the Democrats fault.....
That's the most intelligent thing you've ever posted.
BTW: Do you belong to any veterans sites or Facebook pages? Any veterans organizations like The American Legion or The VFW? Just curious if you are do you find yourself in the minority when you post or talk about politics considering your liberal leaning? When I was a member of The American Legion they didn't take kindly to that sort of thing. If there were any liberals there they kept it a secret.

cadaverdog
01-12-2017, 05:46 PM
Ford and Needledicknick will have a nervous break down in....

Von Halen
01-12-2017, 05:47 PM
Why would anybody talk politics in real life?

vandeleur
01-12-2017, 05:49 PM

What's real life :D

Von Halen
01-12-2017, 05:51 PM
What's real life :D

I have no clue.

cadaverdog
01-12-2017, 05:57 PM
Them old veterans will talk about just about anything if they think it will lead to an argument. Mainly they just talk shit about each other.

Terry
01-12-2017, 05:58 PM
What about the Bergdahl bullshit? He traded five terrorists for one traitor. I also believe he has a lot to do with the sad shape of race relations in the U S right now Then again I think liberals who stereotype anyone who would vote for Donald Trump as a racist, sexist, homophobic, white supremacist card carrying, robe wearing member of the KKK has had a lot to do with that too.

Hence the "certainly in comparison to" qualifier in my original post you quoted.

I think his election - twice - certainly has something to do with a certain amount of white backlash that doubtless motivated more than a few who voted for Trump.

I find it amusing that some whites take the position that it is hurtful for them to be called racists...yet somehow it isn't hurtful when they say and do racist things.

Looking at the content of what Trump - not his supporters - said during the campaign, I suppose those who voted for Trump are scrambling for some sort of legalistic, "guilty but not responsible" retroactive reasoning to explain why they supported such a man that somehow removes them from the vile things he said and did and the attitudes he clearly stated.

"Hey, Trump said he's going to make this country great again...I'm not a racist even though he obviously is, but if tolerating his intolerance will make things better for me, that's a trade-off I'm willing to make" is certainly an explanation, but not an excuse.

Honestly, I have more respect for white nationalists who will flat-out come right out and say, without equivocation, that they supported Trump because he clearly feels non-whites, women and gays are inferior and they feel the same way. Far more respect than those who feel the same way too but are too chickenshit to own what they believe in.

Von Halen
01-12-2017, 06:07 PM
Them old veterans will talk about just about anything if they think it will lead to an argument. Mainly they just talk shit about each other.

Are you calling Va Beach old? :D

Nickdfresh
01-12-2017, 06:08 PM

No one gives a shit...

Nickdfresh
01-12-2017, 06:10 PM

Fuck off Von Hagar. Go cruisin for manass in your gaymobile.....

Nickdfresh
01-12-2017, 06:11 PM
Ford and Needledicknick will have a nervous break down in....

Are you kidding? This is great, getting popcorn ready for Trump meltdown!

Von Halen
01-12-2017, 06:19 PM
Fuck off Von Hagar. Go cruisin for manass in your gaymobile.....

You sound an awful lot like a homophobe. Are you sure you didn't vote for Trump?

Nickdfresh
01-12-2017, 06:23 PM
You sound an awful lot like a homophobe. Are you sure you didn't vote for Trump?

It wouldn't have mattered if I had...

And I'm probably a bit of a homophobe macho idiot...

But I respect your choice to like penises...

Von Halen
01-12-2017, 06:27 PM
Honestly, I have more respect for white nationalists who will flat-out come right out and say, without equivocation, that they supported Trump because he clearly feels non-whites, women and gays are inferior and they feel the same way. Far more respect than those who feel the same way too but are too chickenshit to own what they believe in.

I know plenty of "non-whites" that I am inferior to.

Come on Terry. You really don't think women are inferior to men? They were made from the rib of man. They are slightly less than us, by design. Other than womanly things, what do they do better than us? Since you probably believe God created woman, can you honestly say if he had it to do over again, he wouldn't fix all that's fucked up about them? It's pretty obvious he didn't think that one all the way through.

Gays? They're the smartest of all. They don't have to deal with those fucked up women!

vandeleur
01-12-2017, 06:34 PM
That vonzie he just loves the cock :)

Von Halen
01-12-2017, 06:45 PM
Are you a homophobe like NickDickless?

Va Beach VH Fan
01-12-2017, 06:45 PM
That's the most intelligent thing you've ever posted.
BTW: Do you belong to any veterans sites or Facebook pages? Any veterans organizations like The American Legion or The VFW? Just curious if you are do you find yourself in the minority when you post or talk about politics considering your liberal leaning? When I was a member of The American Legion they didn't take kindly to that sort of thing. If there were any liberals there they kept it a secret.

Well, I could give a shit less what old vets have to say about politics, but in fact I've made it a point for the last 15 years or so to not talk politics with any friends or family. I prefer not to pollute our conversations with political talk, it just gets too ugly too quickly....

Just as I'm positive we could all sit around, have a few beers and have a great time without talking politics...

Except for Von, I'm pretty sure he's a Communist.... ;)

vandeleur
01-12-2017, 06:48 PM
Are you a homophobe like NickDickless?

No just making a general comment lol

cadaverdog
01-12-2017, 07:35 PM
Just as I'm positive we could all sit around, have a few beers and have a great time without talking politics...

I could probably get along with most of the members here if we ever met face to face. Discussing politics and/or religion would have to be forbidden.

Von Halen
01-12-2017, 09:22 PM
I could probably get along with most of the members here if we ever met face to face.

No you couldn't!

Terry
01-12-2017, 09:57 PM
I know plenty of "non-whites" that I am inferior to.

Come on Terry. You really don't think women are inferior to men? They were made from the rib of man. They are slightly less than us, by design. Other than womanly things, what do they do better than us? Since you probably believe God created woman, can you honestly say if he had it to do over again, he wouldn't fix all that's fucked up about them? It's pretty obvious he didn't think that one all the way through.

Gays? They're the smartest of all. They don't have to deal with those fucked up women!

Since I have no belief in a god, the underpinnings of your retort are meaningless to me.

Not being smarmy here, just laying my cards on the table.

If it comforts you to have a belief in a god, as long as you don't try to enforce that belief upon me I say have at it.

The problem is, that non-enforcement détente never really happens when it comes to people of faith, does it? From legislation to laws to rationales for clashes of civilizations to a whole host of other facets of life, those of us that don't believe are continually subjugated in both overt and subtle means by those who do.

And for the record, I really don't think women are inferior to men. Personally, I prefer the company of women to men.

Seshmeister
01-12-2017, 10:24 PM
Von is trolling - he no more believes in God than Trump does...

cadaverdog
01-13-2017, 03:52 AM
No you couldn't!
I can get along with just about anybody. I'm a likable person. People I've never met send me friends requests all the time.

Terry
01-13-2017, 08:20 PM
Von is trolling - he no more believes in God than Trump does...

I like Von.

I mean, he's a barely closeted crypto-Nazi, but outside of his desire to enslave everybody who isn't a white American male he is a kind and decent man.

Plus, as I said before, his thoughts on Van Halen are very thought-provoking, so I know he can't be all bad.

It's like that old Denis Leary bit about if Hitler had cocaine, Jews would be in the bathroom right next to him, going "we know you didn't do it! (snort) I like your mustache! (snort) fucking Himmler! (snort)"

Nickdfresh
01-13-2017, 09:58 PM
I like Von.

I mean, he's a barely closeted crypto-Nazi, but outside of his desire to enslave everybody who isn't a white American male he is a kind and decent man.

Plus, as I said before, his thoughts on Van Halen are very thought-provoking, so I know he can't be all bad.

It's like that old Denis Leary bit about if Hitler had cocaine, Jews would be in the bathroom right next to him, going "we know you didn't do it! (snort) I like your mustache! (snort) fucking Himmler! (snort)"

I like Von too, but he's an asshole...

And I'm pretty sure he wants to enslave white Americans too, mainly for inappropriate touching...

Terry
01-14-2017, 04:48 PM
I like Von too, but he's an asshole...

And I'm pretty sure he wants to enslave white Americans too, mainly for inappropriate touching...

Von wants to inappropriately touch enslaved white Americans, too?

I guess free people don't squirm enough to his satisfaction when he molests them...

Are we talking head-to-toe S & M bondo gear chained in the basement Pulp Fiction-style enslavement, or will Von's captives be more free range a la Auschwitz?

Because if it's the former, I'm in (just go easy on the ball gag).

Nickdfresh
01-14-2017, 05:52 PM
Von wants to inappropriately touch enslaved white Americans, too?

I guess free people don't squirm enough to his satisfaction when he molests them...

Are we talking head-to-toe S & M bondo gear chained in the basement Pulp Fiction-style enslavement, or will Von's captives be more free range a la Auschwitz?

Because if it's the former, I'm in (just go easy on the ball gag).

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder993/500x/61970993.jpg...

jacksmar
05-22-2017, 10:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fItxli7-uU0