PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek Discovery

Seshmeister
10-10-2017, 12:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoV3kc05Nwc

Anyone else watching this?

I'm not a Trekkie but have dipped my toes in it over the years and just caught up with this one, it's pretty good I think although not faultless.

It's a pity Hitch1969 isn't around to see his beloved Trek becoming so female centric I would liked to have seen his reaction. :)

vandeleur
10-10-2017, 12:21 PM
Am not a Trekkie but I have enjoyed the 3 I watched , I like Brian fuller stuff so that was the initial draw.

Seshmeister
10-10-2017, 01:08 PM
I only heard about it after reading Jason Isaacs saying "those people who hate on the show because we have a person of color and woman as the lead, they can go fuck themselves."

I've always liked Jason Isaacs... :)

Nickdfresh
10-10-2017, 06:53 PM
Isaacs is great as the "fucked up" Starfleet Captain...

Overall pretty good, but some of the tech and the war are a bit confusing in the Star Trek cannon/timeline...

Seshmeister
10-10-2017, 08:54 PM
They also seem to be taking the same approach to distance and travel times as Game of Thrones does these days.

How did all those Klingons get there so fast?

Also who and how did someone get the telescope to her?

vandeleur
10-11-2017, 12:17 AM
Return of the Jedi was a bit far fetched ;)

Seshmeister
10-11-2017, 10:54 AM
Well it's a plot point.

MINOR SPOILER COMING---------------------

The main plot idea is to develop a super slug guided ship that can take you instantly anywhere so Jeremy can beat the Klingons.

If the previous week the Klingons have set off a beacon that allows all 24 of their tribes from all over the galaxy to turn up at the same time an hour? or so later without having super slug guided ships then it kind of fucks things up in the story a bit surely?

Also there is a major plot about albino Klingon salvaging the ship 6 months later to get the valuable dilithium crystal thing then it seems a bit fucking odd that we have to assume that the Federation have already been there to collect a fucking telescope but left the crystal.

Being scifi is not an excuse for shitty plotting. :)

vandeleur
10-11-2017, 04:11 PM
Wow I watched that episode and my only minor concern is why Klingons don’t look like they will in ten years in the oringnal Star Trek. But hey it’s fiction and sometimes I think they just make this shit up.

Maybe they could do a rogue one movie just to fix the plot holes ;)

vandeleur
10-11-2017, 04:13 PM
Plus they don’t have the super slug drive in the other series’s so dun dun dur .... it doesn’t end well :)

Fairwrning
10-11-2017, 06:22 PM
Return of the Jedi was a bit far fetched ;)

Post of the day..

Seshmeister
10-11-2017, 08:22 PM
Return of the Jedi was a children's movie so you have to cut it a bit more slack. :)

Nickdfresh
10-11-2017, 08:54 PM
Return of the Jedi was a children's movie so you have to cut it a bit more slack. :)

LOL I just watched the Ewok uprising part the other day as it was on TV. I was like saying aloud like WTF?! I mean I get the Ewoks are primitives, but for fuck sake can't have Spielberg given them a hidden cache of rocket launchers and blaster small arms like they were Viet Cong or Mujaheddin or something? so beating a force of Storm Troopers armed with Imperial Walkers and laser weaponry using log booby-traps and stone-head arrows doesn't look so fucking ridiculous...
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/544/129/bd4.gif

Seshmeister
10-11-2017, 09:39 PM
So you are saying if the teddy bears had guns that could have made it better?

I think the key problem here was having teddy bears.

Nickdfresh
10-11-2017, 10:06 PM
So you are saying if the teddy bears had guns that could have made it better?

No. Just not so fucking ridiculously retarded...

I think the key problem here was having teddy bears.

Well that's George Lucas and his propensity to try to dumb down the Star Wars franchise to a seven year olds' level so he can sell more fucking toys. He got away with it in the 80's because Empire was dark and critically praised, and people would overlook the Ewoks with the final battle between Luke and the Emperor for the soul of Darth to play out. Then he had to go back to his instincts of Sharking that led us to the shit-storm known as The Phantom Menace. The Ewoks were just a prelude to Jar Jar Binks and masturbatory CGI that was Menace...

The Ewoks are sort of troubling on many levels aside from the cute little fucking ankle-biter teddy bears thing. It's a bit of a colonial-racist element with the "noble-savage" myth playing out that is a bit nauseating...

twonabomber
10-11-2017, 10:11 PM
The Last Jedi has these little bird things in it, and the first thing I thought was "that is this year's Furby."

but for fuck sake can't have Spielberg given them a hidden cache of rocket launchers and blaster small arms like they were Viet Cong or Mujaheddin or something?

If Spielberg had given them rocket launchers in the original, he would have replaced them with walkie-talkies in the remastered special editions...

Seshmeister
10-11-2017, 10:56 PM
No. Just not so fucking ridiculously retarded...

Well that's George Lucas and his propensity to try to dumb down the Star Wars franchise to a seven year olds' level so he can sell more fucking toys. He got away with it in the 80's because Empire was dark and critically praised, and people would overlook the Ewoks with the final battle between Luke and the Emperor for the soul of Darth to play out. Then he had to go back to his instincts of Sharking that led us to the shit-storm known as The Phantom Menace. The Ewoks were just a prelude to Jar Jar Binks and masturbatory CGI that was Menace...

I never really quite got the anger at the prequels thing, probably because I never actually sat through a whole one.

Not to be a dick but I liked Star Wars when I was a kid, it was a kid movie. When the prequels came out I never went to see them because I wasn't a kid any more. It's the same way I feel about Dr Who and Superhero movies.

I realize I'm in the minority of our generation that feels that way and it may sound a bit dickish but on the whole that's the way I look at it. Maybe it would be different if I had a son to take to them.

I did go to the two latest Star Wars movies and thought they were ok and the same with a couple of Nolan Batmans but apart from that I avoid it which means skipping about 50% of Hollywood blockbusters these days. I'm not sure I will bother with the new Star Wars. If it involves anything to do with blowing up a 'Death Star' type thing then I will since that would take it to being the same plot as 4 out the 5 Star Wars movies I've seen which is just fucking ridiculous.

vandeleur
10-12-2017, 12:18 AM
To give context to my comment .... I crack the same gag and then explain it every couple of months lol
I work with a guy who comes out with classic crazy comments he doesn’t mean to say .

Whilst discussing star wars he said he never got the whole thing and that while empire was ok Jedi was too far fetched . We were like wtf it’s all far fetched.

I laugh when I think about it. I think I aim it at sesh on a irregular basis and chuckle.

Seshmeister
10-12-2017, 11:32 AM
Wow I watched that episode and my only minor concern is why Klingons don’t look like they will in ten years in the oringnal Star Trek.

Criminal from the original show Harry Mudd appears in the next episode - I wonder if he looks the same...

http://www.startrek.com/uploads/assets/articles/mudd5.jpg

Nickdfresh
10-12-2017, 11:43 AM
I never really quite got the anger at the prequels thing, probably because I never actually sat through a whole one.

I guess that he came up with shit movies, that did get a bit better by the end. I mean, it was like Boston's Third Stage album, pretentious guys taking forever to churn out something that really wasn't all that great...

Not to be a dick but I liked Star Wars when I was a kid, it was a kid movie. When the prequels came out I never went to see them because I wasn't a kid any more. It's the same way I feel about Dr Who and Superhero movies.

I realize I'm in the minority of our generation that feels that way and it may sound a bit dickish but on the whole that's the way I look at it. Maybe it would be different if I had a son to take to them.

I did go to the two latest Star Wars movies and thought they were ok and the same with a couple of Nolan Batmans but apart from that I avoid it which means skipping about 50% of Hollywood blockbusters these days. I'm not sure I will bother with the new Star Wars. If it involves anything to do with blowing up a 'Death Star' type thing then I will since that would take it to being the same plot as 4 out the 5 Star Wars movies I've seen which is just fucking ridiculous.

Oh yeah, I know Star Wars can't always be Blade Runner. But what made them early ones (the first two) great were the conflicts and the darker aspects...

twonabomber
10-12-2017, 12:20 PM
I seem to remember people not liking Kate Mulgrew as a starship captain and Star Trek lead.

One of the sites ran an article about the Klingon forehead thing but I can't find it now. Maybe it was Gizmodo.

FORD
10-16-2017, 04:18 PM
At the risk of committing Trekkie "blasphemy" here, I'm going to say that right now I'm liking "The Orville" more than I am this latest "official" Star Trek reboot.

I'll stick with Discovery for a while and hope it gets better. Who would have thought the central character in a Star Trek series would be a mutineer who lost her rank and is basically a convicted felon? (and also happens to be Spock's adopted sister... whom Spock never mentioned at any time... just like he never mentioned the brother who turned up in "Star Trek V: The Search for God" or whatever it was called)

FORD
10-16-2017, 04:25 PM
Oh yeah... these new Klingons??

What the FUCK??

This series supposedly takes place BEFORE the original Star Trek. Yet the Klingons of the 1960s series were basically humans with funny haircuts and beards (see the Trouble with Tribbles episode) and by the time of the 80s movies & Lt Warf joining Picard's crew, they had "evolved" to having the lobster foreheads.

So where the fuck did these reptilian looking bastards come from? And why were there no goddamn subtitles on the first three episodes, so I could know what these alien fucks were talking about??

Nickdfresh
10-16-2017, 05:25 PM
At the risk of committing Trekkie "blasphemy" here, I'm going to say that right now I'm liking "The Orville" more than I am this latest "official" Star Trek reboot.

I'll stick with Discovery for a while and hope it gets better. Who would have thought the central character in a Star Trek series would be a mutineer who lost her rank and is basically a convicted felon? (and also happens to be Spock's adopted sister... whom Spock never mentioned at any time... just like he never mentioned the brother who turned up in "Star Trek V: The Search for God" or whatever it was called)

Or on a more minor note to the Star Trek cannon, an instant warp drive-hopping system that doesn't exist in any prior timeline...

But overall I like it and think Isaacs makes up for a lot of weaknesses in the Series as Capt. Lorca...

Seshmeister
10-16-2017, 06:51 PM
I guess the instant hop thing is going to be scrapped because you have to kill a sentient being every couple of hops to make it work and so will be seen as too naughty for the Federation to use.

Seshmeister
10-16-2017, 07:10 PM
So where the fuck did these reptilian looking bastards come from? And why were there no goddamn subtitles on the first three episodes, so I could know what these alien fucks were talking about??

Apparently it was all explained in Enterprise?

I'm not bothered enough to go there... :)

FORD
10-16-2017, 08:00 PM
I could never get past the cheese ballad theme song long enough to watch a full episode of "Enterprise".

Seshmeister
10-16-2017, 08:04 PM
Me neither, I believe it's reckoned to be the worst of all of the series.

Nickdfresh
10-16-2017, 10:47 PM
It was fraught with bad acting and unlikable characters and stupid premises (i.e. riffing off the Deep Space Nine Continuum War thing) that really didn't need to exist to make a decent show showing the early, fetal Federation, IIRC...

Nickdfresh
10-16-2017, 10:50 PM
I guess the instant hop thing is going to be scrapped because you have to kill a sentient being every couple of hops to make it work and so will be seen as too naughty for the Federation to use.

Nope. Now happy gay Broadway actors can be used apparently...

Nickdfresh
10-16-2017, 10:54 PM
But whether scrapped or not, it does seem rather out of place and weird since there is no mention of it in the original series being prequeled. I do recall something about Starfleet not being allowed to use cloaking technology because of a severe treaty over-site or something, but that doesn't explain the hop thing, I think it was on The Next Generation but it made no sense...

FORD
10-17-2017, 12:54 PM
Nope. Now happy gay Broadway actors can be used apparently...

Happy gay actors have always been part of Star Trek....

https://qapa.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/george-takei.jpg

twonabomber
10-17-2017, 01:00 PM
And he does Broadway now, too!

Seshmeister
10-17-2017, 04:07 PM
But whether scrapped or not, it does seem rather out of place and weird since there is no mention of it in the original series being prequeled. I do recall something about Starfleet not being allowed to use cloaking technology because of a severe treaty over-site or something, but that doesn't explain the hop thing, I think it was on The Next Generation but it made no sense...

What was that deal with the reflection in the mirror near the end though?

It's spawned theories among the Trekkies
eg.
http://screenrant.com/star-trek-discovery-stamets-mirror-universe-reflection/

vandeleur
10-17-2017, 07:19 PM
yeah people at work were talking about the mirror universe ?!?!??! I did not have a clue what they were talking about.

Nickdfresh
10-23-2017, 10:32 AM
It's being renewed for a second season...

FORD
10-23-2017, 12:04 PM
What was that deal with the reflection in the mirror near the end though?

It's spawned theories among the Trekkies
eg.
http://screenrant.com/star-trek-discovery-stamets-mirror-universe-reflection/

It wasn't necessary a mirror image thing. Remember Stamets injected himself with the Ripper DNA, and since Ripper is a huge overgrown bacteria, which reproduces by splitting in two and cloning itself, maybe the DNA caused Stamets to clone himself.

Seshmeister
10-23-2017, 08:39 PM
I think this new beardy guy Tyler is a Klingon spy.

Their escape last week was too easy, how did he survive so long 7 months as a prisoner and then the mention of the background check in episode 6 to put us at ease/hint.

In other news watch out for Michael's completely ridiculous running action. Who the fuck runs like that? :)

Nickdfresh
10-25-2017, 11:31 AM
Looking forward to seeing more of Mudd....

Seshmeister
10-25-2017, 01:00 PM
According to IMDB he is in a few episodes although I'm not sure how reliable it is and probably best not to look at the cast list appearances on there as it could be spoilery.

Seshmeister
10-25-2017, 04:40 PM
Talking of which look away now for some fan theory.

I never realized that the captain of the ship that they escaped from last week was the same Klingon L'Rell who was hanging about with Voq the albino Klingon who lost his ship and so on in the week before.

i.e. these 2.

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/blogs/browbeat/2017/10/19/are_voq_and_ash_tyler_the_same_person_on_star_trek _discovery/voq.jpg.CROP.promo-xlarge2.jpg http://www.startrek.com/uploads/assets/db_articles/04b0fa58fabc8487e6223dfbbfabb567d60c7eb3.jpg

There is so much prosthesis on these new Klingons they all look the same to me.

So people are putting the Klingon spy theory together with Ash screwing her for months plus the fact on the ship later he is a messy eater for an Ash Tyler = Voq theory.

This is getting more convincing when you look up the actor playing Voq and he doesn't seem to exist outside the show.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm9333617/

If this is the case then I wish TV shows would be a little bit more thorough with their plot twists same thing happened with Westworld with the internet guessing the big reveals weeks ahead.

vandeleur
11-01-2017, 07:13 AM
Hey hey a time loop episode :)

Seshmeister
11-01-2017, 09:35 AM

Seshmeister
11-01-2017, 09:40 AM
That was quite a party they had, you wouldn't get that in TNG.

Next week?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ccz131ZXIAEUO_y.jpg

vandeleur
11-01-2017, 02:52 PM
I can see why they did it from behind :D

Full Bug
11-01-2017, 04:44 PM

I actually quite enjoyed the episode.....
And, I have to say I love the sets themselves, and the effects, impressive, I hear it takes them months to film one episode.....

Seshmeister
11-01-2017, 07:14 PM
They are spending $8m an episode apparently.

I enjoyed it, I'm a sucker for a Groundhog/Edge Of Tomorrow time loop but they do tend to create plot holes and there is one here where near the end when she commits suicide, how did she tell the gay fellah what she had learned before her memory is wiped again?

#Ewoks

vandeleur
11-01-2017, 08:14 PM
Hahaha well played

Nickdfresh
11-01-2017, 11:25 PM
They are spending $8m an episode apparently.

I enjoyed it, I'm a sucker for a Groundhog/Edge Of Tomorrow time loop but they do tend to create plot holes and there is one here where near the end when she commits suicide, how did she tell the gay fellah what she had learned before her memory is wiped again?

#Ewoks

The Force® is strong in her!

(Don't sue me Disney!)

FORD
11-02-2017, 11:42 AM
So is Dwight Mudd going to be on all the time now? Granted, he's more entertaining than these half assed "Klingons" but it would get old pretty fast if he was on every other episode.

Seshmeister
11-13-2017, 08:01 PM
Ok now up to the Episode 9 SPOILERS.

I missed it when I was watching but when a few minutes from the end there is a close up of Captain Lorca entering in the destination it clearly shows him pulling a stunt.

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2017/11/lorca-jump-133.jpg

Fans all seem to be going on about this 'mirror universe' (MU) shit.

We've known for a while now that the Mirror Universe -- that is, the "evil" alternate reality that has been popping up in Star Trek ever since The Original Series put a goatee on Leonard Nimoy -- would figure into Season 1 of Discovery in some way. Trek legend Jonathan Frakes, who directed an upcoming episode of the show, spilled the beans at a convention this fall, and then series co-creator and executive-producer Alex Kurtzman confirmed as much. We also saw a literal mirror image of Stamets take on a life of its own a few episode back, and last night's segment also had Lorca and Stamets speculating about how the spore drive has opened up the door to exploring alternate universes. Indeed, it's specifically stated that with each jump Lorca has been collecting the data that would allow for such travel. And yet, it seems as though he's been doing so without Stamets' knowing about it. Why would he hide such a thing from his science officers?

Hopefully it won't get too silly, the show is enjoyable enough but it asks you to turn a blind eye to a lot of suspect shit so I hope they don't push it too far.

vandeleur
11-14-2017, 07:27 AM
I enjoyed the last one although the thing that went through my mind was “so you fucked an ugly bird”
He needs to forget about it at least his mates didn’t see him with her :D

Seshmeister
11-14-2017, 08:01 PM
You are being stupidly harsh... :)

https://d919ce141ef35c47fc40-b9166a60eccf0f83d2d9c63fa65b9129.ssl.cf5.rackcdn.c om/images/Mary_Chieffo.max-620x600.jpg

vandeleur
11-15-2017, 07:12 AM
You like a big jaw line am guessing ;)

Seshmeister
11-15-2017, 07:15 AM
I'm not saying she is an oil painting but ugly bird is harsh plus she did seem like a gooer.

Not bad for a Klingon? :D

Nickdfresh
11-17-2017, 06:52 PM
You are being stupidly harsh... :)

https://d919ce141ef35c47fc40-b9166a60eccf0f83d2d9c63fa65b9129.ssl.cf5.rackcdn.c om/images/Mary_Chieffo.max-620x600.jpg

I'd fuck her, not that that's a huge endorsement...

Seshmeister
11-17-2017, 08:06 PM
I'm not saying she is an oil painting but ugly bird is harsh plus she did seem like a gooer.

Not bad for a Klingon? :D

'Gooer' WTF? :D

I meant go-er.

Nickdfresh
11-18-2017, 10:44 AM
So, is it "Mirror Mirror" time?
https://pre00.deviantart.net/9544/th/pre/f/2016/032/a/8/terran_empire_anthem_by_juubi_karakuchi-d9q5796.png

Hardrock69
12-15-2017, 10:42 AM
I watched a bit of an episode on a bootleg TV site.

Every plot device in it was used in the very first season of Star Trek.

It is just a regenerated re-hash of an unoriginal re-hash of a re-hash.

I am so not interested in this.

Those of you who like it, good for you.

I am absolutely THRILLED to be missing ALL OF IT.

Seshmeister
12-15-2017, 09:25 PM
I feel the same way about the 150 superhero movies released each year.

Discovery is watchable,it's ok, I don't get the impreession that people are ejaculating everywhere because

vandeleur
01-21-2018, 09:45 PM
Still enjoying this even tho the mirror universe turned into the uber gay empire of humans.... space camp to be sure.

vandeleur
01-21-2018, 09:48 PM
And Jason Issacs is always good, he should be on TV more.

Seshmeister
01-21-2018, 10:14 PM
I feel the same way about the 150 superhero movies released each year.

Discovery is watchable,it's ok, I don't get the impreession that people are ejaculating everywhere because

Wow pretty fucking enigmatic post there if I say so myself.

Anyhoo I think it's a good TV show and even if the big reveal last week was predicted here it was still done well enough to be interesting in the show.

vandeleur
01-21-2018, 10:19 PM
Wow pretty fucking enigmatic post there if I say so myself.

Anyhoo I think it's a good TV show and even if the big reveal last week was predicted here it was still done well enough to be interesting in the show.

I just thought you were taking a mid season break and pished

Seshmeister
01-22-2018, 09:42 PM
Good episode 11. Again I saw the twist coming but it was well done.

Nickdfresh
01-23-2018, 01:30 PM
It was a very good episode (12), but I didn't see it coming until right before...

FORD
01-23-2018, 01:36 PM
Lorca always seemed to have an agenda that wasn't typical of a Starfleet Captain. Guess now we know why.

Nickdfresh
01-23-2018, 01:54 PM
I was trying not the break the spoiler in case the UK is an episode behind. But yeah, it brings up the issue of what happened to the Federation Lorca and if he died on his ship rather than detonated it remotely. Or if evil goatee-Lorca killed him...

Seshmeister
01-23-2018, 05:37 PM
I was trying not the break the spoiler in case the UK is an episode behind.

Sorry got my episode numbers mixed up - 12.

The UK is a day behind, we get the new ones on Netflix on Mondays.

vandeleur
01-23-2018, 06:24 PM
hands up I didnt see it coming , at all.

Seshmeister
02-14-2018, 09:31 AM
Got a bit of sick in my mouth at that preachy speech Mike did near the end - horrific.

Also everyone still having to use umbrellas in the future is disappointing. :)

Seshmeister
02-14-2018, 09:34 AM
FFS!

https://www.anovos.com/products/star-trek-discovery-ncc-1031-u-s-s-discovery-crossfield-class-starship-filming-miniature

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0346/5761/products/dsc-1031-primary-hull-feature.png?v=1518321914

STAR TREK: DISCOVERY — NCC-1031 U.S.S. Discovery, Crossfield Class Studio-Scale Starship Filming Miniature (Wave 2 Reservations)
$ 9,000.00

Nickdfresh
02-14-2018, 01:48 PM
I thought the same thing. FFS, just blow up the fucking Klingons! No wonder why the Terrans think we're pussies!

FORD
02-14-2018, 02:13 PM
At least if the Klingons DID get blown up, you could come up with a viable explanation as to how the "future" Klingons (i.e. the ones we all saw in the previous movies & TV shows) are humanoids with lobster foreheads, rather than these reptilian looking SpaceTrumpers in the current series.

Seshmeister
02-14-2018, 05:11 PM
I think the argument would be that there are lots of different houses and they look different.

There are some trekkies complaining about the look of the Enterprise as well which is just stupid, you can't stick an 1960s spaceship into the middle of a new show.

It's funny the things some people worry about.

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/76940648.jpg

vandeleur
02-14-2018, 05:58 PM
I enjoyed it , fuck your fucking Klingons. Though the new series might not be as good without Brian Fuller.
But overall it kept me interested and I didn’t read to much into it.
Although I am waiting for the big this is why we don’t have spore drives in the future episode.

Seshmeister
02-14-2018, 06:30 PM
Last episode should/could have been 10 minutes longer to explain some stuff but maybe the holes got bigger the more time you spent on them. :)

I missed the Clint Howard(Ron's brother) connection as he played the 'creepy Orion'.

But earlier in the episode, we saw Discovery crew member Tilly (Mary Wiseman) drugged and robbed on the Klingon homeworld of Kronos by a green-skinned Orion. And the Orion was played by an actor who first appeared on “Star Trek” back in in 1966: Clint Howard.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/t_original/asymja74geglj7fplfgd.png

In the second episode of the original “Star Trek,” titled “The Corbomite Maneuver,” an alien named Balok, a powerful representative of something called the First Federation, puts Captain Kirk (William Shatner) and his crew through an elaborate test of character, posing as a scary alien puppet to threaten them. When Kirk and his team finally met Balok in person, he’s played by then-seven-year-old Clint Howard (with his voice dubbed by voice actor Walker Edmiston, best known as the original Ernie the Keebler Elf).

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/IJOn9DFeINo/hqdefault.jpg

This was actually Howard’s fourth “Star Trek” role. Twenty nine years later, he showed up on “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” as Grady, a homeless San Francisco man the cast encountered in a time travel episode set in 2024. And in 2002 he appeared on an episode of “Star Trek: Enterprise” as an orange Ferengi named Muk.

http://www.startrek.com/uploads/assets/articles/Grady.jpg http://www.startrek.com/uploads/assets/articles/Ferengi2.jpg

Howard also reprised his role as Balok once before — at Comedy Central’s roast of William Shatner in 2006. As in the 1966 “Star Trek” episode, the adult version of Balok at the roast also had his voice dubbed over by another actor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2cdXv93cRY

“Star Trek: Discovery” has had lots of callbacks to “Star Trek: The Original Series” in its first season, like the appearance of fan favorite interstellar con artist Harry Mudd (Rainn Wilson), and a sizable trip to the Mirror Universe. But Howard’s appearance in the finale is the season’s deepest cut.

Seshmeister
02-14-2018, 07:12 PM
Oh and Klingons were shown as being biphalic.

https://www.dailydot.com/wp-content/uploads/d4d/33/71471935ff50dfd0.gif

Nickdfresh
02-15-2018, 02:01 AM
Oh and Klingons were shown as being biphalic.

https://www.dailydot.com/wp-content/uploads/d4d/33/71471935ff50dfd0.gif

I think Lorca mentioned something about this to the Klingon broad after he was captured joking about her raping him on the way to his torture session and he "not even having the right number of equipment"...

vandeleur
02-15-2018, 02:32 AM
Wow not a great design for a late night drinking session, unless it means you have to go Less often ?

FORD
02-15-2018, 02:53 AM
Wow not a great design for a late night drinking session, unless it means you have to go Less often ?

Unless they have 4 kidneys & 2 bladders, for 2 completely self contained drainage systems.

Where's Bones McCoy when you need a qualified medical opinion, damn it! :gulp:

FORD
08-05-2018, 01:08 AM
Patrick Stewart to reprise role as Star Trek's Jean-Luc Picard
Andy Welch
theguardian.com (https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2018/aug/04/patrick-stewart-to-reprise-role-as-star-treks-jean-luc-picard)

Patrick Stewart is to reprise his role as Jean-Luc Picard in a new series of Star Trek.

The character, who featured in Star Trek: The Next Generation and a handful of films, will return in the new CBS All Access series, which will reveal the next chapter of Picard’s life.

Announcing the news himself during a surprise appearance at the annual Star Trek convention in Las Vegas , Stewart said: “I will always be very proud to have been a part of the Star Trek: The Next Generation, but when we wrapped that final movie in the spring of 2002, I truly felt my time with Star Trek had run its natural course. It is, therefore, an unexpected but delightful surprise to find myself excited and invigorated to be returning to Jean-Luc Picard and to explore new dimensions within him. Seeking out new life for him, when I thought that life was over.

“During these past years, it has been humbling to hear stories about how The Next Generation brought people comfort, saw them through difficult periods in their lives or how the example of Jean-Luc inspired so many to follow in his footsteps, pursuing science, exploration and leadership. I feel I’m ready to return to what comforting and reforming light he might shine on these often very dark times. I look forward to working with our brilliant creative team as we endeavour to bring a fresh, unexpected and pertinent story to life once more.”

Stewart played Picard in 178 episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation, which ran for seven series between 1987 and 1994. The character, widely held alongside William Shatner’s Captain James T Kirk as one of the franchise’s two best, also appeared in four feature films: Star Trek Generations, Star Trek: First Contact, Star Trek: Insurrection and Star Trek: Nemesis.

Alex Kurtzman, showrunner on 2017’s well-received Star Trek: Discovery, will be an executive producer on the show. He said: “With overwhelming joy, it’s a privilege to welcome Sir Patrick Stewart back to the Star Trek fold. For over 20 years, fans have hoped for the return of Captain Jean-Luc Picard and that day is finally here. We can’t wait to forge new ground, surprise people, and honour generations both new and old.”

CBS has yet to release any further information about the new series, including title or release date. Star Trek: Discovery, which stars Sonequa Martin-Green, Doug Jones and Anthony Rapp will return in January.

Since playing Picard for the final time, Stewart is best known for starring as Professor Charles Xavier in the X-Men franchise.

Kristy
08-05-2018, 05:07 PM
Stuart is like 80 now. Fucker can barely speak.

FORD
08-05-2018, 05:24 PM
Maybe he & Shatner could do a show together and call it "Grumpy Old Captains"??

Seshmeister
08-05-2018, 05:27 PM
He's one of the good guys, I hope the new show isn't quite as fucking earnest as TNG was though.

This outtake from Extras never fails to crack me up - I have a theory that the people that made Blunt Talk saw this and that's why they gave him a comedy show. I liked Blunt Talk but I don't think many people saw it. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4197508/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiQq5FU-e3A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlLbZVxRH60

FORD
11-13-2018, 01:15 PM
So the "Short Trek" mini-episodes are starting to surface. If I remember correctly, there was going to be 4 of them in total. First two are already out there.

"Runaway" was the first one released. It features Tilly (the redhead chick) and some bratty teenage alien girl from the planet that produced dilithium crystals. I'm sure this character will probably be seen in a proper series episode somewhere down the line.

"Calypso" was the second. This featured a new character... some dude named "Craft" who is all alone on his ship with only a computer to talk to. So of course he develops "feelings" for the computer. Apart from taking place in space, it doesn't seem to have any connection with anyone or anything in Star Trek that we know of (yet). Not a bad little story, but it looked more like a "Black Mirror" episode to me.

Apparently the other two mini episodes will be out in December and then the official season in early 2019.

Nickdfresh
04-13-2019, 07:33 PM
So the "Short Trek" mini-episodes are starting to surface. If I remember correctly, there was going to be 4 of them in total. First two are already out there.

"Runaway" was the first one released. It features Tilly (the redhead chick) and some bratty teenage alien girl from the planet that produced dilithium crystals. I'm sure this character will probably be seen in a proper series episode somewhere down the line.

"Calypso" was the second. This featured a new character... some dude named "Craft" who is all alone on his ship with only a computer to talk to. So of course he develops "feelings" for the computer. Apart from taking place in space, it doesn't seem to have any connection with anyone or anything in Star Trek that we know of (yet). Not a bad little story, but it looked more like a "Black Mirror" episode to me.

If they're like the Walking Dead shorts, they may explain some things that happen in later episodes. I.E. the "tricycle" Rick shot in the first season was a women who sacrificed herself to the walkers to save her children so they could get to a rescue chopper...

FORD
04-13-2019, 09:38 PM
Actually, the bratty teenage alien girl returned in this week's Discovery to help with the whole "time crystal" vs out of control artificial intelligence dillemma. And Saru's home planet (the subject of one of the other shorts) already figured into another episode this season. Don't think this "Craft" guy has shown up again, but maybe he's related to somebody else on the ship?

Still haven't seen a single episode of the Walking Dead yet. Currently trying to knock out all the old seasons of "Game of Thrones", so "Walking Dead" back catalog might be next on the list after that.

Nickdfresh
04-14-2019, 03:51 PM
Actually, the bratty teenage alien girl returned in this week's Discovery to help with the whole "time crystal" vs out of control artificial intelligence dillemma. And Saru's home planet (the subject of one of the other shorts) already figured into another episode this season. Don't think this "Craft" guy has shown up again, but maybe he's related to somebody else on the ship?

Still haven't seen a single episode of the Walking Dead yet. Currently trying to knock out all the old seasons of "Game of Thrones", so "Walking Dead" back catalog might be next on the list after that.

I have to say I really like the new season. But the "bratty" chic shit is one of my peeves. They're trying real hard with the "girlpower/science" stuff and I'm generally fine with that until I'm being hit over the head with it every episode...

FORD
07-27-2020, 11:48 PM
JUMP INTO THE FUTURE WHEN SEASON THREE OF “STAR TREK: DISCOVERY” PREMIERES THURSDAY, OCT. 15 ON CBS ALL ACCESS

July 27, 2020 – CBS All Access, ViacomCBS’ subscription video on-demand and live streaming service, today announced that the third season of its hit original series STAR TREK: DISCOVERY will premiere on Thursday, Oct. 15. New episodes of STAR TREK: DISCOVERY’s 13-episode third season will be available on demand weekly on Thursdays exclusively for CBS All Access subscribers in the United States.

After following Commander Burnham into the wormhole in the second season finale, season three of STAR TREK: DISCOVERY finds the U.S.S. Discovery crew landing into an unknown future far from the home they once knew. Now living in a time filled with uncertainty, the U.S.S. Discovery crew, along with the help of some new friends, must work together to restore hope to the Federation.

STAR TREK: DISCOVERY season three cast members include Sonequa Martin-Green (Commander Michael Burnham), Doug Jones (Commander Saru), Anthony Rapp (Lt. Commander Paul Stamets), Mary Wiseman (Ensign Sylvia Tilly), Wilson Cruz (Dr. Hugh Culber), David Ajala (Cleveland “Book” Booker) and Michelle Yeoh (Philippa Georgiou).

Seasons one and two of STAR TREK: DISCOVERY are available to stream now on CBS All Access, and the series is distributed concurrently by ViacomCBS Global Distribution Group on Netflix in 188 countries and in Canada on Bell Media’s CTV Sci-Fi Channel and OTT service Crave. The series is produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Secret Hideout and Roddenberry Entertainment.

In addition to STAR TREK: DISCOVERY, the “Star Trek” franchise on CBS All Access currently includes hit original series STAR TREK: PICARD; upcoming new animated comedy series STAR TREK: LOWER DECKS, which premieres on Thursday, August 6; the recently announced U.S.S. Enterprise set series STAR TREK: STRANGE NEW WORLDS, featuring Anson Mount, Rebecca Romijn and Ethan Peck; and the development of a Section 31-based series with Michelle Yeoh. A CG-animated series aimed at younger audiences is also in the works for Nickelodeon, titled STAR TREK: PRODIGY.